Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2010 - South Africa
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
MizNelson
I think it's also because they're fearing incurring the wrath of the clubs that are paying their salaries if they get injured, so they want to protect themselves, and they're also put off by the travel. Plus, it's easier to get it up for a big tournament than a one-off friendly.

I also think it's a tremendous honor to be called up for your country, because you're representing the best of the best. However, the veterans become impervious to that after awhile after so many matches and therefore don't have the same vigor as a youngster who's earning his first few caps.
kurtsimonw
Sack Capello, he aint strong enough. Take Steven Gerrards British passport off him, Judas prick, that's about the billionth time he's turned his back on his country.
MizNelson
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 17 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Take Steven Gerrards British passport off him, Judas prick, that's about the billionth time he's turned his back on his country.

Word. Still, that's more time for him to preach about the sins of diving in the EPL. dry.gif
Tennie
Interesting practice game at the Azzurri training session (they play Greece). Here, according to Gazzetta, is the lineup Lippi used for the practice game as his 'starters':

De Sanctis
Bonera Cannavaro Chiellini Grosso
Gattuso De Rossi Montolivo
Canoranesi Toni Rossi

If this is what's used, it'll be the first time De Sanctis and Rossi start. I'm a little surprised to see Bonera on the right as he's better in the middle but..hey, he's been playing really well for Milan.
Tennie
And another injury for England - this one more serious than needing Brylcreem removal. Theo Walcott dislocated a shoulder in training and is due to be out for a goodly spell.
acid911
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 19 2008, 09:08 AM) *
And another injury for England - this one more serious than needing Brylcreem removal. Theo Walcott dislocated a shoulder in training and is due to be out for a goodly spell.

At this rate, I'd wonder whether they'll hand out 11 new caps for young player debuts by the time we get to the Germany match. I mean, come one, more than half the team is out - wait for it - injured. dry.gif They need to clone a couple of Gattusos for the English NT. Maybe Capello can help with this?!
Tennie
cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif Italy's not without its own training injuries. Fabio Quagliarella broke his nose in training this morning. He'll be all right but he won't play tonight.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 19 2008, 05:08 AM) *

Aaaaaaawwwww FU*K the internatinal break, it's got to be one of the most horrid inventions of FIFA ever.
Oh and later tonight, Norway will get mauled by Ukraine. Great.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Nov 19 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Aaaaaaawwwww FU*K the internatinal break, it's got to be one of the most horrid inventions of FIFA ever.

International breaks are a necessity in my opinion. English fans complain about it all the time, but then they complain when England play crap due to not getting to play with each other often enough, or we'll complain that the same players get picked over and over. International breaks gives nations a chance to try out new players and get the team into more of a rhythm in matches that mean very little.

I can't wait to hear Wengers view on the Walcott injury.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 19 2008, 07:12 PM) *
International breaks are a necessity in my opinion. English fans complain about it all the time, but then they complain when England play crap due to not getting to play with each other often enough, or we'll complain that the same players get picked over and over. International breaks gives nations a chance to try out new players and get the team into more of a rhythm in matches that mean very little.

I can't wait to hear Wengers view on the Walcott injury.

Oh please, there's what, 4 months until the next WC qualifier? How does a midweek game make any sense now?
And come on, Ferdinand, Gerrard and Lampard have managed to slime their way out of the situation and when the only Arsenal player eligable to play for England actually stands up, he's injured in training and we can now look forward to 12 weeks with Eboue on the right wing. Joy.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Nov 19 2008, 06:18 PM) *
Oh please, there's what, 4 months until the next WC qualifier? How does a midweek game make any sense now?
And come on, Ferdinand, Gerrard and Lampard have managed to slime their way out of the situation and when the only Arsenal player eligable to play for England actually stands up, he's injured in training and we can now look forward to 12 weeks with Eboue on the right wing. Joy.

Well, it doesn't matter how far away the next qualifiers are, they should be having international friendlies on a regular basis. Certainly more than they do now.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 19 2008, 07:24 PM) *
Well, it doesn't matter how far away the next qualifiers are, they should be having international friendlies on a regular basis. Certainly more than they do now.

The result will be all the big names choking up some sort of excuse for staying home and the NT made up of players used to be bench warmers at their club teams.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Nov 19 2008, 06:29 PM) *
The result will be all the big names choking up some sort of excuse for staying home and the NT made up of players used to be bench warmers at their club teams.

Well, I'll have to disagree with that, especially with the bigger countries. I can think of very few players that are bench warmers at club level that will be starting for England tonight. Wayne Bridge may be the only one, but he could walk into about 17 EPL teams, so he's hardly a crap player.
Tennie
For what it may be worth, here's the starting lineup for Italy:
De Sanctis
Bonera Cannavaro Chiellini Grosso
Gattuso De Rossi Montolivo
Camoranesi Toni Rossi

Mediaset got it right this time.
Rossoneri7
@Kurt .. what's your opinion of the hard-line Capello ?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 19 2008, 08:25 PM) *
@Kurt .. what's your opinion of the hard-line Capello ?

What does hard-line mean? tongue.gif

Anyways. Germany 1-2 England resveres + Terry.

Outclassed and outplayed in their own back yard, first defeat in Berlin for over 30 years, and without 8 first team regulars. This Capello bloke aint so bad. biggrin.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 20 2008, 12:52 AM) *
This Capello bloke aint so bad. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Habitant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 19 2008, 10:52 PM) *
What does hard-line mean? tongue.gif

Anyways. Germany 1-2 England resveres + Terry.

Outclassed and outplayed in their own back yard, first defeat in Berlin for over 30 years, and without 8 first team regulars. This Capello bloke aint so bad. biggrin.gif

dint you want him sacked just the other day tongue.gif laugh.gif
Darunia
France-Uruguay 0-0. Gourcuff started for France and Cardacio played 20 minutes near the end biggrin.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Darunia @ Nov 19 2008, 07:42 PM) *
France-Uruguay 0-0. Gourcuff started for France and Cardacio played 20 minutes near the end biggrin.gif

Nice, how'd they perform?
And what about the over all game?
Tennie
QUOTE (Darunia @ Nov 19 2008, 06:42 PM) *

Fishdoll wants to know when you stole the braincell, Darunia. 96.gif

The one friendly in this hemisphere I wish were being televised in the US is Brazil-Portugal. It's about to start and should be a very good game.
Darunia
According to goal.com (I didn't see it):

Yoann Gourcuff 5 – Failed to exert the influence that he has in previous internationals. Did send a couple of useful second half crosses into the box but more would be expected of the young Bordeaux midfielder from open play.

Mathias Cardacio 5 – No real impact during his 20 minute cameo.
Tennie
From what little I could find about the game, it was a pretty dismal game all around. The one thing of note that happened was a possible injury to Franck Ribery.
TriniKing_CE
Well, atleast they got playing time! laugh.gif

Ribery - injured again? huh.gif
That Sucks!
Tennie
Brazil 1 - 1 Portugal in the 15th. Goals by Luis Fabiano for Brazil and Danny for Portugal. Of the Milanisti present, Kaka is starting.

EDIT: Kaka assist to Luis Fabiano for his and Brazil's second goal in the 25th.

I'm following the game via Portuguese text commentary and from what I understand, Brazil are dominating possession.

EDIT 2: HT Brazil 2 - 1 Portugal. Sounds like Kaka is having a good game.

EDIT 3: Brazil 4 - 2 in the 60th. Brazil goals by Maicon and Fabiano (again), Portugal goal by Simao.

EDIT 4: FT Brazil 6 - 2 Portugal. Additional goals by Elano (Kaka assist) and Adriano. Sadly, the game was a Duck-Free Zone. sad.gif
TriniKing_CE
Trinidad & Tobago vs Cuba: HT 0-0

Trinidad & Tobago vs Cuba:
K. Jones - 67min
D. Yorke - 69min
K. Daniel - 89min

FT 3-0 smile.gif

We've now advanced to the next round of the qualifiers. king.gif yahoo.gif

acid911
Congrats, Trinidad. cool.gif

Darn you, German team! mad.gif

Good show. sleep.gif For English chaps, that is.

Brazil! wub.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Habitant @ Nov 19 2008, 10:52 PM) *
dint you want him sacked just the other day tongue.gif laugh.gif

Not quite the other day, but he was very weak to begin with. Wasn't standing up for himself, picking the same obvious players, etc. But his record is looking impressive, but it all means nothing at the moment, we want a World Cup or a European Championship and you can win as many games as you like, fail to deliver one of those and we won't be happy. tongue.gif
MizNelson
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Nov 19 2008, 10:18 AM) *
when the only Arsenal player eligable to play for England actually stands up, he's injured in training and we can now look forward to 12 weeks with Eboue on the right wing. Joy.

Just as incredulous was that some guy on Xtratime yesterday thought that it was a phantom injury in order to keep Walcott out of the friendly.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Tennie @ Nov 20 2008, 03:55 AM) *
Brazil 1 - 1 Portugal in the 15th. Goals by Luis Fabiano for Brazil and Danny for Portugal. Of the Milanisti present, Kaka is starting.

EDIT: Kaka assist to Luis Fabiano for his and Brazil's second goal in the 25th.

I'm following the game via Portuguese text commentary and from what I understand, Brazil are dominating possession.

EDIT 2: HT Brazil 2 - 1 Portugal. Sounds like Kaka is having a good game.

EDIT 3: Brazil 4 - 2 in the 60th. Brazil goals by Maicon and Fabiano (again), Portugal goal by Simao.

EDIT 4: FT Brazil 6 - 2 Portugal. Additional goals by Elano (Kaka assist) and Adriano. Sadly, the game was a Duck-Free Zone. sad.gif

Dunga doesn't seem to believe in Pato at all! but in a way he couldn't play him since Pato played only 70 minutes in our last 3 league games (= 270 mins)...

---

Sounds like Ronaldo had one of 'those games' again...

QUOTE (goal.com)
Eight goals scored on the night and not a single one from him… not even an assist.
acid911
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Nov 20 2008, 02:19 PM) *
Dunga doesn't seem to believe in Pato at all! but in a way he couldn't play him since Pato played only 70 minutes in our last 3 league games (= 270 mins)...

Cynicism? huh.gif Anyway, I've lost hope for the Selaco Pato as long as Dunga is heading it.

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Nov 20 2008, 02:19 PM) *
Sounds like Ronaldo had one of 'those games' again...

Very. He's the Gerrard of Portugal. tongue.gif I've have expected much more if I were Portuguese.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Nov 20 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Don't think it has to do with the playing time. Adriano played, and we all know his recent playing time. It's just Dunga.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 20 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Don't think it has to do with the playing time. Adriano played, and we all know his recent playing time. It's just Dunga.

Yeah I guess you're right to an extent. but it would have been hard for Dunga to ignore Pato if he was bagging goal after goal in Milan.
Jack Sparrow
He still would. That man is wierd...he only deals with 'finished products'. A lot like Carlo without the tactical acumen.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 20 2008, 02:05 PM) *
He still would. That man is wierd...he only deals with 'finished products'. A lot like Carlo without the tactical acumen.

As much as I hate Dunga, I have to disagree a bit! he often plays Marcelo.
Jack Sparrow
Does Brazil have any finished product left backs?? unsure.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 20 2008, 02:34 PM) *
Does Brazil have any finished product left backs?? unsure.gif

Well, I can't think of any! huh.gif but Dunga could find a +25yo Brazilian left back if he didn't want to play Marcelo because of his age...
Jack Sparrow
I don't think Dunga has a problem with age. It's his preference for more established players. I heard some criticisms saying he's not picking a lot of talents from the local league. And I suppose among all of Brazil's LBs Marcelo is most established.

Cicinho who was once the next Cafu has now been abandoned for Maicon. Dani Alves is also second choice.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 20 2008, 03:01 PM) *
Cicinho who was once the next Cafu has now been abandoned for Maicon. Dani Alves is also second choice.

Sorry for worshiping an Inter player but Maicon is the best Brazillian RB in the world right now! if not the best of the best RBs.

They have much quality and depth in the right, but in the left it's just Marcelo. bah.
Jack Sparrow
That is true. And being an Inter worshipper is not the same as saying, they have good players.
Tennie
Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't seem to do as well for his NT as he does for his club. That said, full credit to him for playing for Portugal even (ie, at the Euros) when he's not 100%.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 20 2008, 07:44 AM) *
That is true. And being an Inter worshipper is not the same as saying, they have good players.

I agree with Jack, Zd.
So don't feel too bad about your love affair for Maicon.
Unless you have some kind of crazy shrine that you forgot to mention. blink.gif

Just going on what you said: "Sorry for worshiping an Inter player" wink.gif
Fillipo Simone
Relax. Even hardcore Milan fans (I think I was called one recently) respect/like some Inter players - like Zanetti, Bergomi, Bergkamp or Ganz.. wink.gif
TriniKing_CE
Call him what you like... but Zlatan has a lot of talent and for that I respect him.
At times he can even amuse me with his cocky & arrogant style.
(I really wish he stayed at Juve, prefer them ALOT more to Inter dry.gif )
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Nov 20 2008, 05:20 PM) *
Call him what you like... but Zlatan has a lot of talent and for that I respect him.
At times he can even amuse me with his cocky & arrogant style.
(I really wish he stayed at Juve, prefer them ALOT more to Inter dry.gif )

Zlatan is a Serie A superstar. That is for sure, and his contribution to inter in the past two years has really made the difference for them. He is the highest paid player in Serie A and is worth more than that wink.gif

But bring him to Milan !? No, the attitude is something that belongs in a trash or even a mucchio di merda wink.gif

acid911
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 20 2008, 08:17 PM) *
Zlatan is a Serie A superstar. That is for sure, and his contribution to inter in the past two years has really made the difference for them. He is the highest paid player in Serie A and is worth more than that

He will be. dry.gif They've announced a new, bigger contract for him.
kurtsimonw
Capello's end of year assessment.

Fabio Capello believes that England's team spirit has been the most important improvement during his first year in charge.

The Three Lions Manager, who was appointed on 14 December last year, gave his end-of-year assessment at The FA's headquarters in Soho Square.

And, after eight victories, one draw and one defeat in his first ten games in charge, he can be pleased with the way things have gone.

England top 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group Six, after impressive away wins over Croatia and Belarus.

But Capello believes that the team improved their attitude and belief after losing 1-0 to France in March, and this in turn has bred confidence - and match-winning performances.

He said: "I am happy for the result and I am happy with what we did to create a group mentality and team spirit. We have managed to recover the confidence [of the players] - this was the most important work that we did.

"The spirit of the squad has been great, and most important. Without that spirit in the group, the confidence will not be there and it is impossible to win. Sometimes you can win one game because one player has scored a goal. But without the spirit it is impossible."

Capello views his side's 1-0 defeat to France in his second game in charge as the turning point in England's fortunes - simply because he made them believe.

"I think the most thing was when we lost to France," he continued. "Back in the dressing room I told the players it was another step forward. And the players thought I was crazy.

"I knew before we played France it would be hard, as they have been world champions. And we played in France, and in Paris. For half-an-hour we played very well. And when you can play well for half-an-hour, you can play well for the whole game. After this game, because of that reason, we moved forward.

"I understood the problem immediately, when we played the first game against Switzerland (which they won 2-1 in February).

"The players were not tested mentally and physically. When we played at Wembley I understood that these were not the same players [as they were for their clubs].

"I realised that the problem was in the mind of the players. Now we are better. We need time and we will continue to work. It is important to be a psychologist but we need good players to win. Good psychologist, bad players - it is impossible to win. We want to be better."

Michael Owen, the Newcastle United striker and captain, could be involved in England's next squad too, says Capello - despite only featuring in the second half versus France in 2008.

The 29-year-old has been in good form for his club after an injury-hit year, and Capello, whose team host Slovakia at Wembley in March, said: "I know he has been playing very well, and scored a good goal (against Portsmouth in Sunday's 3-0 win).

"The door of the national team is always open. I will check before the next international game. I will then decide if he is ready, if he is OK. The most important thing will be if he is fit."

Capello also praised Aston Villa's young forwards Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor, and tipped them to star for England in the near future.

He added: "I am very happy for the players who play at Aston Villa. I also like [James] Milner, who is another young player. These players are the future, and it is a bright future."

Glad to hear him speak highly of Villas youngsters, and that he seems to look for his players at every club - unlike most previous managers who just looked at the big 4! I like the way he speaks about the team, he's really growing on me. The good results don't hurt either.
Tennie
It's technically a friendly but sticking it here anyway. On February 10, Brazil and Italy will play a friendly.

Dunga has announced his call ups early. Four Milan players are included: Kaka, Pato, Ronaldinho and Thiago Silva.

No Amauri on the list.

I think Lippi will announce the Azzurri call ups on Sunday or Monday.
Jack Sparrow
No Amauuri there as well..please. wink.gif
CrazyMilanFan
i hope none of our players get injured in the friendlies we wil have some players in itlain squad too i suppos hopefully everyhing will be fine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.