Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2010 - South Africa
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 4 2010, 12:51 AM) *
Heritage: 17th century french-soldier family, came to Croatia with the Napoleonic wars + italian roots via grandmother + jewish roots from the other grandmother

Place of birth: Zagreb, Croatia.
Raised: Vienna, Austria.
Culture adopted: Austrian, German, Croatian, Serbian,....

What am I Habitat?

Million dollar question!
Milan Are Brilliant
Spain, you're not the team you were in Euro 2008, yet to light up the tournament. Saved, yet again by the instrumental Villa (people who don't like him now that is jealousy)
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 3 2010, 10:19 PM) *
Germany were poor against Serbia and Ghana. Let's not pretent they're almighty either. They're about the same. I'd say Holland are the best team in it so far.

They didn't deserve to lose against Serbia and they more than deserved to win against Ghana, regardless of the tight score. That's the truth. As for Netherlands, comparing them to Germany would be an insult to intelligence. Netherlands play a somewhat ugly football and rely mainly on the inventive of Sneijder and Robben. Not to mention they've been extremely lucky to get thus far (Slovakia + suicidal Brazil). Germany play a spectacular football, and rely on teamwork rather than individualities. Obviously, in football could happen everything, but I'd say Germany so far have proven to be far superior to any team.
Zed.D
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 4 2010, 12:54 AM) *
Wow, I feel really sorry for Cardozo. He looks destroyed.

I felt 10 times more sorry for Gyan last night...
X-Offender
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jul 3 2010, 10:31 PM) *
I felt 10 times more sorry for Gyan last night...

Yeah, but Gyan didn't take it as bad as Cardozo.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jul 4 2010, 01:00 AM) *
Spain, you're not the team you were in Euro 2008

Completely agreed. they're far behind that [amazing] Spain, and as I've said before, they're disturbingly one-dimensional.
samira
no, he kinda took it like the guy in Ghana that cost them victory.
Zed.D
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 4 2010, 01:02 AM) *
Yeah, but Gyan didn't take it as bad as Cardozo.

He didn't take it that badly did he? Casillas did great IMO.
X-Offender
I don't like Del Bosque's module. Playing Xavi so much ahead is kinda out of place, he should play more back. Also, Torres has been very poor. Why doesn't David Silva play? He was one of the stars of Euro 2008, but he yet has to debut in this WC.
Zed.D
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 4 2010, 01:06 AM) *
I don't like Del Bosque's module. Playing Xavi so much ahead is kinda out of place, he should play more back. Also, Torres has been very poor. Why doesn't David Silva play? He was one of the stars of Euro 2008, but he yet has to debut in this WC.

Silva played the first game IINM.

I agree about Del Bosque.
samira
If Torres was so poor why didn't Llorente play instead of him and why let David Villa play full?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 3 2010, 09:30 PM) *
Germany play a spectacular football

Are you serious?

They play horrid football. It's not even football, like I said earlier, it's more like rugby. Just smash the ball in front of Podolski/Muller/Ozil to run onto it with their pace, who then just service Klose.

They're a rich mans Bolton.

This is why I think it'll be a Germany-Holland Final, Spains back 4 (Ramos excluded) are very slow and have been pretty poor this tournement, Casillas has too actually. They'll expose the lack of pace with their hoof ball and win comfortabley.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 3 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Are you serious?

They play horrid football. It's not even football, like I said earlier, it's more like rugby. Just smash the ball in front of Podolski/Muller/Ozil to run onto it with their pace, who then just service Klose.

This is why I think it'll be a Germany-Holland Final, Spains back 4 (Ramos excluded) are very slow and have been pretty poor this tournement, Casillas has too actually. They'll expose the lack of pace with their hoof ball and win comfortabley.

LOL

Seriously

LOL

Words fail me...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Jul 3 2010, 09:51 PM) *
LOL

Seriously

LOL

Words fail me...

About 6 of their 8 goals against England and Argentina were long ball/counter or set plays. The majority of Boltons goals are long ball/counter or set plays.

It's laughable how you can't understand this.
X-Offender
Kurt, I think it'd be best if you didn't express your opinion furthermore in regards of Germany, otherwise we'd all take you for insane. I'm serious.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jul 3 2010, 10:30 PM) *
Villa (people who don't like him now that is jealousy)

Wait a minute. What does that jealousy mean? Am I jealous of Villa because I dislike him? Why? I don't care, I just don't like his expressions, movement, etc. Am I jealous? No.

I think you're a bit too harsh. Horrid football? By your standards, of the 32 teams that started the World cup I tink maybe 4-5 would qualify as teams that play football.

Agree. Aragones had a much faster Spain. I think this was a crucial point.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 3 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Kurt, I think it'd be best if you didn't express your opinion furthermore in regards of Germany, otherwise we'd all take you for insane. I'm serious.

My opinion?

I'm stating facts, the majority of their goals come from long balls or set plays, ala Bolton.

I don't understand this love fest for Germany. Hell, even England had more shots/posession than them and we were terrible.
Fillipo Simone
I think we all should let go off the Germany-issue.
kurtsimonw
So Don Fabio won't be joining the countless other World Cup managers in losing his job, the FA have decided to make their first ever correct decision by keeping him on.
Fillipo Simone
I'm interested - who got sacked/resigned?
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 3 2010, 09:21 PM) *
Heritage: 17th century french-soldier family, came to Croatia with the Napoleonic wars + italian roots via grandmother + jewish roots from the other grandmother

Place of birth: Zagreb, Croatia.
Raised: Vienna, Austria.
Culture adopted: Austrian, German, Croatian, Serbian,....

What am I Habitat?

Whatever you feel like on that day tongue.gif

I think you are what you feel closest to. Simple. Take the Balotelli case for example, born and raised in Italy while both parents are not Italian. Imo he has every right to feel closer to his parent's nationality despite where he was born and raised. This issue will never die down as everyone has different oppinions on what defines one's nationality

Can't wait for the Germany Spain match up. I think both are great teams, Spain have more individual talent but Germany play better as a complete unit imo. I still think that if they're down they'll find it tough, tougher then what they've faced in this entire competition. As in their best games they got the advantae of that early goal, allowing them to absorb pressure and hit on the break.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 3 2010, 10:01 PM) *
Wait a minute. What does that jealousy mean? Am I jealous of Villa because I dislike him? Why? I don't care, I just don't like his expressions, movement, etc. Am I jealous? No.

Lets just say it's a word branded today a lot in people's opinion and I jumped on the bandwagon.

I get people disliking Ronaldo he's arrogant, cocky, good, falls down easily, tricky, full of himself etc as are most world class players nowadays. Villa seems modest, humble, really tried to do his best with Valencia - stayed there for years when big clubs have come knocking at the door and should earn a lot of respect. He's not one to go down amazingly easily all of the time like a lot of continental sides players.

He's lifted Spain and got them to where they are in this tournament without him they would have been home in the group stage and they wouldn't have come close to winning Euro '08.

Yet he doesn't have the big I-am factor. He always seems to want to work even when things aren't going his way and more importantly works for the team, not himself.

I sense 'jealousy' on this forum because major players (who don't play for Milan) do get talked down a lot and for sometimes without real reason.

All I can say is if Villa 'annoys' people then I'd like to know the kind of players who don't 'annoy' them.
MizNelson
Why the f*** are we STILL having this nationality discussion more than six hours later?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 3 2010, 10:32 PM) *
I'm interested - who got sacked/resigned?

Quite a few I think. BBC did a list earlier. At least I think it was to do with sackings/resignations.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Jul 3 2010, 11:53 PM) *
Why the f*** are we STILL having this nationality discussion more than six hours later?

You'll get into trouble for that kind of language, I did.
Jack Sparrow
Dude...chill! biggrin.gif
Zed.D
Germany play the most spectacular football in this tournament IMO. Spain/Holland and their so-called beautiful football look a little boring in comparison.
MizNelson
I don't usually associate "beautiful" football with the Netherlands. Spain, yes, but not the Netherlands.
Zed.D
The Dutch love to play attacking football and that usually turns out to be beautiful football. like Holland in Euro 2008. they were spectacular.
Fillipo Simone
Irony is that after years and years of so-called spectuacular total football, this time Holland reaches the semis with such displays.

I'd say the most spectacular football played by Holland was the Rinus Michels team of 1988. Then followed by Rijkaards team in 2000.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 4 2010, 02:05 PM) *
Irony is that after years and years of so-called spectuacular total football, this time Holland reaches the semis with such displays.

+1.

I think Cruyff is such a hypocrite. if Italy had played like this and reached the semis he'd come out and say his usual BS about the ugliness of Italian football, but when his Holland or Spain reach the semis like this he doesn't utter a word...
CHU-LIP
Don't waste your energy on Cruijff.

He and Beckenbauer are saying nonsense after nonsense. It's a shame really. Both were awesome football players.

Maradona is even worse though tongue.gif (I did not know there was a worse...)
samira
Maradona knew that Argetina would not go to the finales and Germany plays such a wonderful game that makes Maradona look like sh!t
Spain is disapointed seriously, Paraguay could have won last night ..
Zed.D
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jul 4 2010, 04:13 PM) *
Don't waste your energy on Cruijff.

He and Beckenbauer are saying nonsense after nonsense. It's a shame really. Both were awesome football players.

Maradona is even worse though tongue.gif (I did not know there was a worse...)

I'm glad a Dutch agrees with me on Cruijff!

-

It's fun to read this now!
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 3 2010, 10:50 PM) *
Are you serious?

Come on, you can't be such a bad loser...

Spectacular football by our team. The best we've been playing since 1990. Against Spain, anything can happen. They're slightly better than we are I think, but for the first time in history we play better football than Spain, Brazil and Argentina...simply amazing.
kurtsimonw
Meh, just a different opinion of what 'good football' is then. Germany remind me of Villa with the long ball/pace/set peice thing, then Klose/Carew do the same job, both have a solid defense. Obviously it's not an exact comparison as your players are of higher quality, but essentially do the same job. And yes, I do think Villa play horrific 'football'.

It has nothing to do with being a 'bad loser', you beat Argentina, which made me happy. unsure.gif
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jul 4 2010, 04:19 PM) *
Come on, you can't be such a bad loser...

Spectacular football by our team. The best we've been playing since 1990. Against Spain, anything can happen. They're slightly better than we are I think, but for the first time in history we play better football than Spain, Brazil and Argentina...simply amazing.

I think some people are still bitter...

For me Germany have been the best side so far, they have played by far the best football and scored the most goals. What I found funny was that when Germany beat Australia nearly everyone in this country were saying how poor Australia were, then they played England...

I'm hoping for a Germany v Holland final as IMO they have been the best two sides in the competition.
LaPalma
QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ Jul 4 2010, 05:29 PM) *
I think some people are still bitter...

For me Germany have been the best side so far, they have played by far the best football and scored the most goals. What I found funny was that when Germany beat Australia nearly everyone in this country were saying how poor Australia were, then they played England...

I'm hoping for a Germany v Holland final as IMO they have been the best two sides in the competition.

Germany Holland would be awesome. My absolute dream.
Zed.D
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jul 4 2010, 07:41 PM) *
Germany Holland would be awesome. My absolute dream.

But I heard South African foretellers had predicted Holland would win the World Cup (and I started to believe them once Holland dumped the mighty Brazil out of the tournament!).

You don't want to lose to Holland in a World Cup final do you? biggrin.gif
X-Offender
I still think Netherlands are way too overrated. Yes, they've been fairly consistent thus far, but their wins have been far from spectacular. More like lucky.
Zed.D
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 4 2010, 08:12 PM) *
I still think Netherlands are way too overrated. Yes, they've been fairly consistent thus far, but their wins have been far from spectacular. More like lucky.

+1, but that doesn't mean I think they can't win it. not always the most spectacular team wins the World Cup.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jul 4 2010, 05:44 PM) *
+1, but that doesn't mean I think they can't win it. not always the most spectacular team wins the World Cup.

True, France in '98, Italy in '06 are recent examples of that.
Linkman
It would be such an upset if Uruguay won the world cup.
LaPalma
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jul 4 2010, 06:33 PM) *
But I heard South African foretellers had predicted Holland would win the World Cup (and I started to believe them once Holland dumped the mighty Brazil out of the tournament!).

You don't want to lose to Holland in a World Cup final do you? biggrin.gif

I don't believe in fortune telling. And Brazil lost against their first real opponent just like in 06. There never was a "mighty" Brazil in South Africa.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jul 4 2010, 06:48 PM) *

I don't think Italy is a good example. I really do belive they deserved that one to win.

Exactly. I belive they are about to run out of luck.

Meh, just a different opinion of what 'good football' is then. Germany remind me of Villa with the long ball/pace/set peice thing, then Klose/Carew do the same job, both have a solid defense. Obviously it's not an exact comparison as your players are of higher quality, but essentially do the same job. And yes, I do think Villa play horrific 'football'.

Still, Germany is in the semi final of the World Cup, while Champions League qualifications alone is something Villa can only dream of, not to speak a later stage.
Zed.D
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Jul 4 2010, 09:41 PM) *
I don't believe in fortune telling.

I don't know, if Holland actually win the World Cup, it will be hard to not become a believer!

And Brazil lost against their first real opponent just like in 06. There never was a "mighty" Brazil in South Africa.

I think some teams are always mighty regardless of their form. Brazil, Italy and Germany to name a few. I didn't say strong/powerful/etc. that's different.
Zed.D
Sorry for the DP but since this is such a class interview by Seedorf, I thought it deserved its own post:

QUOTE (Football Italia)
Seedorf: 'Italy better than England'

Sunday 4 July, 2010

Clarence Seedorf gives his verdict on the World Cup campaign. “At least Italy fought, unlike England.”

The Milan midfielder is working as a pundit for the BBC in South Africa and gave an exclusive interview to the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“It was great to see the fans all mixed together without problems and FIFA organised the tournament very well.

“I have to say I was fairly disappointed by the standard of football on show, as the Coaches tended to adopt very defensive tactics. Apart from Ghana, Argentina, Spain and Brazil, there was precious little to enjoy until the knockout stages.”

Italy didn’t even get to that point, having finished bottom of their group behind Paraguay, Slovakia and New Zealand.

“When they went out, I think Italy were also unlucky. They went out with a better image than England, as at least they fought hard,” said Seedorf.

“I believe an era has come to an end with important players and they need to rebuild. Italy doesn’t have a problem of changing generations, as the young talent is there, even if they should be welcomed into big clubs with more patience.

“Mario Balotelli and Sebastian Giovinco must be given the space to grow. I’m sure Cesare Prandelli will be able to build a great side.”

Seedorf also looked closer to home, where Milan have hired ex-Cagliari Coach Massimiliano Allegri.

“The club made an excellent choice and Allegri was already respected for what he did at Cagliari.

“This squad proved with Leonardo what it can do and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t stand by Allegri in the same way.

“It’s natural for Milan to aim high, but Allegri needs time to build the team without too much pressure.”
MizNelson
It's funny; just a week ago there was an article in my local newspaper about how the South American countries - four of them - were so dominant. Now three of them are out.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 4 2010, 05:42 PM) *

I don't think it's luck they're a well drilled team, have a couple of players that can create magic and are very efficient.

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jul 4 2010, 05:48 PM) *

Italy might not have been flashy or too attack minded but they had a great team in 06. Great defence, great midfield and a good attacking line. They were a cohesive well drilled machine who had confidence in themselves. Not the shambles we saw this year. No game plan, just ping the ball and see if it goes in at the end
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 4 2010, 06:12 PM) *
I don't think Italy is a good example. I really do belive they deserved that one to win.

Exactly. I belive they are about to run out of luck.

Still, Germany is in the semi final of the World Cup, while Champions League qualifications alone is something Villa can only dream of, not to speak a later stage.

Which is why I said they have higher quality players, but the style is the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.