Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2010 - South Africa
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
Tennie
I'll freely admit (yet again) that I'm not now nor have I ever been a particular fan of English football. Don't particularly like the style or tactics traditionally associated with English football. There are a couple of other things that bother me and I'll try to explain them:

What drives me batsh!t, however, is the press. And this is a function of English being the lingua franca of today. The English press is very frequently quoted as an 'authority'. Which isn't such a bad thing if it's BBC, for example. It can be a really awful thing if it's the Sun, however (and yes you'll see the Sun quoted as an expert). That said, coverage of European football in this country is heavily anglocentric (look at the fsc or espn soccernet websites and you'll see that roughly 3/4 of the stories on the homepage are epl related) and the 'experts' (warren barton for fsc for example) are...well, really super biased. Anything Not English is Bad and Dangerous, an attitude that smacks of xenophobia and bigotry.

THat's the stuff that's forcefed to the US football audience and I'll happily admit that a small part of my negative impression toward the sport in England is because of it.

There's also the sense that some of the stars of the English NT have real entitlement issues (eg Ashley Cole almost crashing his bentley when he wasn't given an extra 5k a week) and while I'm quite sure that bigname players from other countries are just as bad, the whole thing is publicized and, again, forcefed down our throats here. It gets old.

I'll admit that a part of me holds onto the bias of English fan = hooligan, too. I'm old enough to remember Heysel (not sure how many others here are). I've also been to CL games in which English teams played (within the last 5 years). While there's a significant change inside the stadium, OUTSIDE is another matter. I was afraid for my life leaving one game because of some not paritcularly sober individuals with English accents (who I assume were english given that the game was at Stamford Bridge). Images such as the West Ham-Milwall thing don't help. Nor, really, does my sense (based on observation) that while the average English fan may be perfectly well behaved in London or Manchester or Liverpool, if he's going to Madrid to watch his team play, it's okay THERE to do things he would not normally do at home (from drinking to violence) because he is abroad.

So, that's why I hold my opinion. I know others probably disagree with me - and that's fine, this is a forum after all where debate is what makes it interesting -- but I'm not interested in getting into any arguments about the issue.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Sep 10 2009, 09:59 PM) *

That is a brilliant goal. Great save from Buffon too, didn't look like it crossed the line.

As for your opinion Tennie, I don't think many disagree. English people hate the way we're portrayed in the media more than anyone else. It gives the rest of the World a false representation of what we think about our team. I won't knock them for their English-bias, they're English afterall, though it does get annoying at times. It's even worse as a Villa fan, teams with a big media hype like Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle get talked about all the time. While I don't think The Sun realises the Midlands actually exists.
Jack Sparrow
What's the Midlands?

Look dude...Newcastle will have to stay in the relegation zone for 10 years, before people forget about it. I know it drives you up the wall when I blab on about Newcastle...but believe me as an Asian, when the EPL first came on TV...Newcastle were universally everyone's number 2 club..and quite a few supported them as numero uno club. It didn't matter whether your first club was Madrid, or Barca, or Milan or Manchester. Newcastle is part of footballing culture. Villa despite their bigger history, simply wasn't around when the initial globalization happened, so don't be jealous you missed out on the gravy train.

Some day I will make a billion dollars and buy Newcastle.... wub.gif
kurtsimonw
This has been one of the best World Cup Qualfyings ever, alot of the groups are still so close.

Europe Group A
Denmark 18 (+11 gd)
Sweden 15 (+6)
Portugal 13 (+5)
Hungary 13 (+4)

Denmark v Sweden
Portugal v Hungary
Denmark v Hungary
Portugal v Malta
Sweden v Albania

This is the best group I think.

You would think Denmark are assured of at least a play-off place as they only need 2 points to do so, from 2 home games. Portugal look likely to make the play-offs given that they have 2 home games, the teams around them are playing each other and they still have to play Malta (no offense, Han).

Germany and Russia are seperated by a point with 2 games left. Germany host Finland while Russia visit Azerbaijan in the final game, before that? The Germans have to take a trip to Russia, that will be a good one.

Switzerland, Latvia and Greece are seperated by just 3 points, Greece would need to beat Latvia for themselves to have a chance at winning the group.

Likely group winners (* means already won group)
Denmark, Switzerland, Slovakia, Germany, Spain*, England*, Serbia, Italy, Holland*

Likely play-off teams
Portugal, Greece, Slovenia, Russia, Bosnia, Croatia, France, Ireland

South America (not whole table - first place = automatic, 2nd = play-off)

Ecuador 23 (+2 gd)
Argentina 22 (+1)
Uruguay 21 (-3)
Venezuela 21 (-5)
Colombia 20 (-4)

Argentina v Peru
Colombia v Chile
Ecuador v Uruguay
Venezuela v Paraguay
Paraguay v Colombia
Uruguay v Argentina
Brazil v Venezuela
Chile v Ecuador

I would rule Venezuela and Colombia out, both games are against the top 3 teams and they have the least points of this little group as it is. Uruguay have it i their hands, both games are against the 2 teams they need to leap-frog in ordder to qualify. Argentina play a diret rival in Uruguay, but they also play bottom placed Peru. Ecuador play 3rd placed Chile and direct rival Uruguay.

I think it will go down to the last game, between Uruguay and Argentina as to who qualifies outright and who gets the ply-off spot as I think they will both win their first game. The play-off puts them against either Costa Rica or Hondouras by the looks of things. Either way, I think Argentina will qualify, boo!
Tennie
http://www.figc.it/it/204/22169/2009/09/News.shtml

The FIGC (the Italian FA) is donating the gate receipts from the Italy-Bulgaria game to rebuilding sports complexes destroyed in the Abruzzo earthquake.

+1 cookie to them. 96.gif
Bluesummers
Diego Maradona, the coach of the Argentine national team, took a flight to Europe to advise several of his players that they won't make up part of his Argentina squad for next month's crucial World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Uruguay.

Maradona was frustrated with the performances of a number of his players against Brazil and Paraguay and will make drastic changes to his squad.

The 1986 World Cup winner affirmed that he wasn't happy with the "attitude" of several of Argentina's European-based stars and that he will drop them from the squad and base his side on player's who play in the Argentine first division.

According to Buenos Aires newspaper Ole, Gabriel Heinze, Fernando Gago, Javier Zanetti, Maximiliano Rodriguez, Lisandro Lopez and Diego Milito will receive the bad news.

But it has been reported that Sergio Aguero, Javier Mascherano and even Lionel Messi, don't have their positions in the squad any safer.

When in Europe, Maradona will reunite with the three players, and will ask them why they don't perform with their national team in the same manner as they do with their clubs.

Apparently Maradona will travel to Madrid to specifically talk to Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain. Maradona is likely to give the player his first official national team call-up.

Maradona was supposed to attend an important meeting about his future on Monday, along with Carlos Bilardo and AFA president Julio Grondona, but surprised everyone by flying to Europe instead, without giving any notification.

tenniesfavortiewebsite.com

laugh.gif There is a worst coach than Leo out there! laugh.gif

Man is this guy arrogant or what, dropping his european based players! laugh.gif what a joke. I hope they don't qualify, more chances for my team to win. laugh.gif
han2503
I don't think he's that crazy... unsure.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 14 2009, 02:19 AM) *
I don't think he's that crazy... unsure.gif

yeah lets cut, zanetti, milito, messi, aguero, tevez and all other Argentinian European based players laugh.gif He was going to get sacked on monday and he flies to europe laugh.gif What a guy!
kurtsimonw
Just saw something interesting regarding the 3rd place play-offs.

In 1990 the third place playoff game was between England and Italy.
England failed to qualify for the World Cup Finals in 1994.

In 1994 the third place playoff game was between Sweden and Bulgaria.
Sweden failed to qualify for the World Cup Finals in 1998.

In 1998 the third place playoff game was between Holland and Croatia.
Holland failed to qualify for the World Cup Finals in 2002.

In 2002 the third place playoff game was between South Korea and Turkey.
Turkey failed to qualify for the World Cup Finals in 2006.

In 2006 the third place playoff game was between Germany and Portugal...

Portugal do look in danger of not qualifying, Germanys place isn't guarenteed yet.
Fillipo Simone
Portugal...Portugal...
Tennie
Here are Italy's call ups for their world cup qualifiers:

PORTIERI: Gigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari).
DIFENSORI: Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa), Alessandro Gamberini (Fiorentina), Fabio Grosso (Juventus), Nicola Legrottaglie (Juventus), Davide Santon (Inter), Gianluca Zambrotta (Milan).
CENTROCAMPISTI: Mauro German Camoranesi (Juventus), Gaetano D'Agostino (Udinese), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Rino Gattuso (Milan), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Andrea Pirlo (Milan).
ATTACCANTI: Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal).
dst
I'm glad Lippi is not calling up Cassano yet. I don't believe Cassano has changed, he has looked more mature this season but this is the way to test if it's all fake.
Bluesummers
kurtsimonw
Ukraine vs England to be first England game not shown live in UK

Shocking, I hope we lose.
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 5 2009, 07:48 PM) *

Me too wink.gif
Honestly, I hope to see a great England vs. Germany clash next World Cup. Those were always great matches. But first, we need to win our game against Russia next Saturday.
kurtsimonw
One of us (usually us) fails to get anywhere in the World Cup, so it hardly ever happens. Was it really 1990 the last time we met in a World Cup? blink.gif

The Russia-Germany game should be great! I sort of hope we lose because I don't want Croatia at the World Cup, it's the least we can do after Euro2008 qualifying. But this is England, we'll probably go and win. rolleyes.gif
dst
Damn you're such a loser... it's not Croatia's fault that England were playing like amateurs.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Oct 6 2009, 12:39 AM) *
Damn you're such a loser... it's not Croatia's fault that England were playing like amateurs.

You're such a loser.. it's not my fault you make up my opinion and assume incorrect things.

Did I say it was Croatia's fault we had a 2nd string team out and they were horrible? No, it wasn't. But the fact remains they were the team that put us out and I want revenge.
il_diavolo_mtl
i'm just happy that all 3 of my nations will qualify, Italia, Slovenja and Croatia*

(cu me slack on the croatian side kurt, in all fairness i found out last week i was part croatian...) huh.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Oct 6 2009, 02:13 AM) *
i'm just happy that all 3 of my nations will qualify, Italia, Slovenja and Croatia*

(cu me slack on the croatian side kurt, in all fairness i found out last week i was part croatian...) huh.gif

Weird eh, one day you're a SlovItalian then BANG! you're part Croatian too!

I wouldn't be so sure about the will qualify part, Ukraine are still in good position and look like they will qualify if they beat England. Given that England are already through, we may not take it so serious.

Slovenia have had a very good qualifying tournement though.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 5 2009, 09:42 PM) *
Weird eh, one day you're a SlovItalian then BANG! you're part Croatian too!

I wouldn't be so sure about the will qualify part, Ukraine are still in good position and look like they will qualify if they beat England. Given that England are already through, we may not take it so serious.

Slovenia have had a very good qualifying tournement though.

croatia may not , but in all fairness i care little as i have had so little time to deal with the shock of my newfound patriotism towards Croatia (i should have know by the way i loved Olic/Modric tongue.gif)

Handanovic and Novakovic have been KEY!! i just hope that inter Youth kid gets called up soon, he's amazing smile.gif

and i honestly hate italy's chances everyday Pepe, Iaquinta, Palombo, Dossena, Rino, Zambro, Toni, leggrotallie spend as national team players. What happened to Pazzini, Cassano, Pellissier (i'm dead serious), Foggia, D'agostino???

oh and my friends find the term Slo-Talian to me wittier hehe

kurtsimonw
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Oct 6 2009, 04:08 AM) *
i just hope that inter Youth kid gets called up soon, he's amazing smile.gif

I'm pretty sure he came on as a sub against England.

QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Oct 6 2009, 04:08 AM) *
oh and my friends find the term Slo-Talian to me wittier hehe

Slo-Talian, I like it. biggrin.gif
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 6 2009, 12:21 AM) *
I'm pretty sure he came on as a sub against England.

Slo-Talian, I like it. biggrin.gif

his name is Rene Krhin
and he has amazing potential
i know people are very sceptic about youtube videos but in his brief introduction to Serie A he set up a great goal for milito Vs Parma : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfeXs1AQJhk

most people outside of me do tongue.gif
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 6 2009, 03:01 AM) *
You're such a loser.. it's not my fault you make up my opinion and assume incorrect things.

Did I say it was Croatia's fault we had a 2nd string team out and they were horrible? No, it wasn't. But the fact remains they were the team that put us out and I want revenge.

You'll always be a bigger loser than me!
Tennie
So, according to tuttomercatoweb, Pirlo will be the trequartista for Italy tomorrow against Ireland. We'll see.

Italy (and the gobbi) lose Marchisio, however. He's having knee surgery (meniscus tear) tomorrow and is expected to be out for around a month.
kurtsimonw
Italy better win.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 9 2009, 12:58 PM) *
Italy better win.

i'll cry if they don't italy is my strongest country in the WC (even if i find the Croatia squad is very compettive)
Also let me take this momment to say FORZA SLOVENIA
Tennie
You do know what will happen if Slovenia concede a lot, mtl? Fishdoll will be Very Displeased with you.
dst
Pirlo as a trequartista? ohmy.gif I thought Lippi was only allowed to do that once as it's forbidden!!! Or maybe it is not???? Carlo? Leo?
kurtsimonw
Play-offs to be seeded

What a joke. Surely you can't just decide something after a tournement starts!? FIFA have no balls at all, they're scared to death some big nations won't qualify.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 9 2009, 01:32 PM) *
You do know what will happen if Slovenia concede a lot, mtl? Fishdoll will be Very Displeased with you.

FORZA HANDANOVIC PER SEMPRE!!! biggrin.gif diavolino assures Fishdoll that Samir has been epic for his country only allowing england to score 2 goals while making awesome saves smile.gif...Back me up kurt.. Samir is Magical
Tennie
HT Russia 0 - 1 Germany.

Klose with the goal; really pretty buildup to the goal with passing from Podolski to Ozil who crossed to Klose.
Jack Sparrow
Loew to coach Milan!!
il_diavolo_mtl
Russia - germany is a great game!!!!!!! Ozil/podolski , with not entirely german, are AMAZING!!!
il_diavolo_mtl
the russian annoncer just swore at adler for a save....i think...
Locke Lamora
Shevchenko just missed a penalty against England.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Oct 10 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Shevchenko just missed a penalty against England.

No way we'll keep our 100% record now. 10 men, 1 down..
Locke Lamora
Nazarenko's put Ukraine ahead. As a Croatia fan, I don't like this at all.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Habitant)
QUOTE (Kurt)
England fans: "Are you Scotland in disguise!" biggrin.gif

Revenge is awesome.

revenge would be eliminating them.

Yeah, you're right. Revenge is so nearly complete. tongue.gif
dst
Again, if you wanted revenge you should eliminate your own players, not Croatia...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Oct 10 2009, 06:39 PM) *
Again, if you wanted revenge you should eliminate your own players, not Croatia...

Our players punishment was not playing in Euro 2008.

Why is it that you don't like Liverpool, I forget?
Jack Sparrow
They pissed in his lawn when they came down for the 2007 final. He slept on the lawn after the night's festivities. It took him months to stop smelling of Scouse piss.
kurtsimonw
laugh.gif

I seem to remember him talking about revenge after Istanbul. The silly boy doesn't even agree with what he preaches.
Jack Sparrow
He is one of those missing links in the human evolution chain. I wouldn't trade dst for a billion dollars. He's one of the most unique human beings I know.
kurtsimonw
Ukraine playing really well today, really showing up Glenn Johnsons (lack of) defensive abilities.
kurtsimonw
FT Ukraine 1-0 England.

With the game being unimportant to us I could look at it a bit more objectively. James was incredible in goal, I think this performance (and Greens sending off) will confirm him as the indefinite #1. Glenn Johnson is the undoubted weakness, Milner came on for another good game so I'm sure he'll be going to South Africa. Decent performance with 10 men for 75 minutes. All in all decent enough.. we just need to get that RB sorted out.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 10 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Our players punishment was not playing in Euro 2008.

Why is it that you don't like Liverpool, I forget?

Ah, I knew you're too stupid to get the difference... tongue.gif Milan played excellent football and lost from a team that did not play football at all... England were playing like amateurs. What you're basically saying is that Croatia should not have tried to win that game but instead let you beat them... way to go!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Oct 10 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Ah, I knew you're too stupid to get the difference... tongue.gif Milan played excellent football and lost from a team that did not play football at all... England were playing like amateurs. What you're basically saying is that Croatia should not have tried to win that game but instead let you beat them... way to go!

We played like ametuers because our back 5 were ll out injured!

Football is about putting the ball in the net. If you do that less than the other team, you won't win. Both cases are comparable, you're just being silly. biggrin.gif
dst
I'm being silly and right... you're being silly and wrong!
kurtsimonw
You're such a kid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.