Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2010 - South Africa
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
han2503
QUOTE (Linkman @ Jun 15 2010, 05:50 AM) *
See guys, I told you Paraguay was solid.

No one said they weren't. This was Italy's toughest match in the group stages by far now that it's out of the way they can concentrate on getting maximum points from the other 2 games
arivanjj
England Centre-Back Jamie Carragher: The Champions League Is Better Than The World Cup

Liverpool and England defender Jamie Carragher believes that the Champions League is superior to the World Cup.

Carragher insists that the European Cup is a step up from the World Cup due to the fact that the big clubs around the world can buy whatever stars they please, with no national allegiance hindering the building of an all-star team.

"We talk all the time about whether the World Cup is a step up for us as players but I'm with what Jose Mourinho said the other day," Carragher told The Mirror.

"The Champions League is the highest level because teams can go and buy whoever they want.

"As far as players on the pitch are concerned, I think Barcelona and all the top teams in Europe would give Brazil and Spain a game.

The Liverpool veteran thinks that players are looser when playing for their club teams, allowing for the stars to play better and the competition to be better as a result.

"The pressure of playing [for your country] is more intense than playing for your club. Most players play better for their clubs because they are used to it and I would say the latter stages of the Champions League is the better spectacle.

"But what is different is the pressure with playing for country because you are going onto the pitch representing everyone.

"Look at what's happened to Robert Green. You are under so much scrutiny. If you make a mistake like that for your club there wouldn't be so much scrutiny."

goal.com
Fishdoll
Well duh. Barcelona couldn't play spain given that there are 8 players in common between the two. And no surprise that he thinks club is better than country; as I recall he said something similar when he retired from the NT the first time.
han2503
Lol, funny because if England could I'm sure he'd be the first one on the sell list so they can replace him with someone decent. rolleyes.gif

And does he think he's playing Fifa or PES?? In a perfect World Barca would play against Barca and we can see who can win that one rolleyes.gif
Fishdoll
Lots of empty seats at New Zealand-Slovakia.
Danny
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 15 2010, 12:26 PM) *
Lots of empty seats at New Zealand-Slovakia.

Been plenty of empty seats at the entire tournament so far. Quite honestly while we'll still watch the games, this has been a pretty awful world cup so far. The matches have been insipid and while it's being well enough hosted as far as I can see, the vuvuzelas are a pain in the neck.

Needs a kick up the backside to get going - a lot of pressure on Brazil and Spain to kickstart this competition.

As for the empty seats, remember that the levels of poverty in South Africa are massive - it's a poor nation, so I'm not shocked that thousands cannot afford tickets.
Danny
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 15 2010, 11:17 AM) *
Well duh. Barcelona couldn't play spain given that there are 8 players in common between the two. And no surprise that he thinks club is better than country; as I recall he said something similar when he retired from the NT the first time.

tbh he's right and wrong at the same time. The CL is where the world's greatest players ply their trade, and the quality of football is often at a very high level. Usually is. As we've seen so far from the world cup, not only are significant players not there (Cambiasso, Zanetti, Pato, Ronaldinho) but the standard of play thus far has been underwhelming.

The world cup is the ultimate prize in football, I saw that point being made on here and I agree with it - every player dreams of lifting the world cup. But in terms of the standard of player and quality of football on offer, CL has to be the ultimate football competition.
Fishdoll
Yep, Danny. I'd commented on that a few pages back when I mentioned an article that indicated ticket prices were in general too high for much of the continent.
Danny
QUOTE (Warchant @ Jun 15 2010, 04:49 AM) *
looking forward to seeing Portugal/Ivory Coast tomorrow. Hopefully Drogba will be in the squad. haven't heard if he's been allowed to play with a cast or not.

I thought he was out of the tournament completely.

i also hope NK gets completely blasted by Brazil. I'm hoping 10-0.

Their president will probably assassinate the players if that happens.
Danny
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 15 2010, 12:42 PM) *
Yep, Danny. I'd commented on that a few pages back when I mentioned an article that indicated ticket prices were in general too high for much of the continent.

I've been drowned (pardon the pun) under this thread so I've missed plenty of posts in it smile.gif
Danny
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jun 15 2010, 08:25 AM) *
"As far as players on the pitch are concerned, I think Barcelona and all the top teams in Europe would give Brazil and Spain a game.

Foregoing the absence of logic in his statement here, I actually disagree with him anyway.

I believe that Spain are the best team on earth, in both club and country context. Brazil are probably second and Barca third. Possibly Inter 4th.

Time for a new thread...
Fishdoll
The ESPN guys have said that Drogba's got approval to play with a cast so we may well see him later today. Of course, it's ESPN and they also thought Buffon had a hamstring pull.....

(btw, Mediaset reports that Buffon should be back for the next Italy game).
arivanjj
the stupid vuvuzelas are killing the commentary of the game. i have to turn the tv down every game, therefore i cant hear much which is pretty annoying. isnt there a more pleasing instrunment that can be used by south africans.!
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Jun 15 2010, 01:09 PM) *
the stupid vuvuzelas are killing the commentary of the game. i have to turn the tv down every game, therefore i cant hear much which is pretty annoying. isnt there a more pleasing instrunment that can be used by south africans.!

no, it's their culture as it seems sad.gif
arivanjj
NEW ZEALAND EQUALISE!!!
arivanjj
full time!.. good on them. everyone were predicting 3-0 to slovakia
Fishdoll
Wow. +1 cookie to New Zealand!
arivanjj
no drogba for ivory coast. he'll probably come on in second half in needed.
Fishdoll
And a portuguese midfield that is rather meh compared to past squads. We'll see how Pedro Mendes does in the holding role.
Dracoris
@ Han

My bad man, my post about domination was in response to Kurt and your argument about the US -England game where he said possesion was 64% in England's favor, which just isn't true. The link on my post is actually to FIFA's official stats on the game smile.gif

I should have put a little quote thingy or clarified better, my mistake. I'll try not to do that again!
Fishdoll
Ooo. Handbags at 10 paces between Demel and Cristine. Yellows for both.
arivanjj
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 16 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Ooo. Handbags at 10 paces between Demel and Cristine. Yellows for both.

laugh.gif
Danny
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 15 2010, 03:06 PM) *
And a portuguese midfield that is rather meh compared to past squads. We'll see how Pedro Mendes does in the holding role.

I've got this one on in the background. Mendes by nature is a DM anyway, despite where Walter Smith tried to play him (practically in the trequartista role) for Rangers - he has a small creative spark but is a lot better in the deep lying holding role.

He should do ok in that position.
arivanjj
HT. 0-0

though they're lacking that final push for goal, you've gotta admire the pace and physical strength of ivory coast smile.gif
Fishdoll
Sky TG24 says the following (on tv, sorry no url to link to) about the azzurri:
* No fixed date for Buffon's return; he's starting physiotherapy.
* Pirlo didn't train with the squad (no surprise there, he hasn't been)
* Cannavaro didn't train with the squad (knee issue after the knock yesterday)
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 15 2010, 12:17 PM) *
Lol, funny because if England could I'm sure he'd be the first one on the sell list so they can replace him with someone decent. rolleyes.gif

And does he think he's playing Fifa or PES?? In a perfect World Barca would play against Barca and we can see who can win that one rolleyes.gif

Yep, he is terrible. I would be better than him for England, at least I can run. The Americans made a mess of him when he came on.

By saying Barca are better than Spain he's basically just slagging off his teammate Torres, seeing as the rest of the team is basically the same.
Dracoris
Kurt you were right about the security. Snipers are everywhere! Did you guys see that Ronaldo flop?
kurtsimonw
HT.

Booooooooooriiiiiiiiing.
Fishdoll
Aw c'mon, Kurt, the almost-handbags was fun!
Fishdoll
Drogba on for Cote d'Ivoire, Simao and Tiago on for Portugal.

Still scoreless in the 60th.
Danny
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 15 2010, 04:23 PM) *
Drogba on for Cote d'Ivoire, Simao and Tiago on for Portugal.

Still scoreless in the 60th.

Two teams with world class players and this is the best they can muster. This is a bad tournament so far, and it needs a real firecracker of a game to get it going.
X-Offender
I read the game was great apart from the result.
CHU-LIP
During the game I was expecting a 0-0 more and more (though, makes much sense actually saying this tongue.gif )

Anyway, it was before the match a tough call which of the two would went through along with Brazil. Draw makes sense, and is also nice for the tension in the poule! smile.gif
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2010, 05:38 PM) *
I read the game was great apart from the result.

Not really sure where it excelled in the greatness stakes tbh.
servbot
The parts I saw while at work were decent, but I agree. This WC has been a dud in terms of excitement so far, and we really need a great game or two really soon.
CHU-LIP
Brazil will make some goals for sure... probably no T.Silva starting altough I think he should, so let's hope Kaká is match fit / in good shape and then I'm sure he will shine smile.gif
Fillipo Simone
So friends, I'm very interested...is it just me or is this one of the most boring football tournaments ever?

I mean, last CL wasn't interesting either, but this...a whole new level.
Dracoris
All that complaining about the ball and there have been so few goals.

Do we think the ball could be having the opposite effect?
CHU-LIP
The ball, the height, the noise, the coaches, I don't know why, but it's true games are boring so far (most of the times)... some teams aren't good anyway...
Fillipo Simone
To go further - on times I do have the feeling of watching the same game. The shirts change, the refs and stadiums also, but it's the same style, appraoch and tactic is see. At first I said to myself it is often that the first matches end up a bit more contained, like in France 1998, but...this...is something like Italy 1990.
servbot
Could it be the ball though? Didn't they use the ball for all of the friendlies the last few weeks? Were all of those games awful?

Or are the horns affecting communication? What was attendance like in the Confeds Cup? Because the horns were there and there was plenty of scoring and attacking in those matches. I wonder if they had less attendance = less horn noise though.
Darunia
What ever happened to Joao Moutinho? He was supposed to be good =/

I was also impressed with Portugal's young LB, Fabio.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (servbot @ Jun 15 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Could it be the ball though? Didn't they use the ball for all of the friendlies the last few weeks? Were all of those games awful?

Or are the horns affecting communication? What was attendance like in the Confeds Cup? Because the horns were there and there was plenty of scoring and attacking in those matches. I wonder if they had less attendance = less horn noise though.

Less attendance, that sure. But I don't think it's the horns or the balls.

Firstly, even the African nations blend in when it comes to boring games, and they should be costumed to the noise.

Secondly, there were some good friendlies. I don't think they would have made such awfull balls anyway.
kurtsimonw
Great to see some emotion during the anthem, best of luck Korea.
samira
Robinho is playing very good but I not sure that Brazil will wipe the floor

MizNelson
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 15 2010, 04:36 AM) *
Quite honestly while we'll still watch the games, this has been a pretty awful world cup so far. The matches have been insipid and while it's being well enough hosted as far as I can see, the vuvuzelas are a pain in the neck.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Out of the thirteen matches played so far, six have ended in draws. That's nearly 50%.

And to put the vuvuzela racket in perspective, I heard this morning that the collective din of those things is actually louder than that of chainsaws in terms of decibels.
samira
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2010, 05:47 PM) *
So friends, I'm very interested...is it just me or is this one of the most boring football tournaments ever?

I mean, last CL wasn't interesting either, but this...a whole new level.

I agree, even if there are great teams playing agianst teams that u expect to lose
X-Offender
Brazil are playing crap.
samira
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2010, 08:11 PM) *
Brazil are playing crap.

ture, how the hell are they going to win, NK are playing better then I tought
this game is probably going to end draw
Fishdoll
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2010, 02:26 PM) *
Less attendance, that sure. But I don't think it's the horns or the balls.

Firstly, even the African nations blend in when it comes to boring games, and they should be costumed to the noise.

Secondly, there were some good friendlies. I don't think they would have made such awfull balls anyway.

FILIP!

HIHIHIHIHIHIHI! (Ribalutka daje Flor jedna borovnica!)

It's good to see you around even if it is while the tournament's so painfully boring.

DPRK holding their own so far. bit of a surprise, that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.