Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2010 - South Africa
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 11 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Fishdoll belatedly notes that he doesn't have to do Bad Things to mtl, given that Handanovic kept a clean sheet yesterday. Slovenia blanked Slovakia 2-0. smile.gif

slovenia can finish top of the table if we beat san marino...(i felt the need to mention his game...even though i shouldn't) poland has to beat slovakia though smile.gif

I told you about Handanovic, he's a friggin BEAST!!!!!!!

Will italy qualifying, slovenia very much close to qualifying what are Croatia's chances?

I MIGHT HAVE ALL 3 OF MY NATIONS IN THE WC!!!
(haha i still can't believe i found out i'm a quarter croatian as recent as last week hehe)
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Oct 11 2009, 10:13 PM) *
what are Croatia's chances?

Croatia need to win and hope that the Ukraine fail to win. Considering the Ukraine play Andorra, who have lost every game so far -scoring 3 and conceeding 33- I don't think Croatia has any chance at all. I'd be willing to bet anything on it.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 11 2009, 06:51 PM) *
Croatia need to win and hope that the Ukraine fail to win. Considering the Ukraine play Andorra, who have lost every game so far -scoring 3 and conceeding 33- I don't think Croatia has any chance at all. I'd be willing to bet anything on it.

oh well, FORZA ITALIA/SLOVENIJA
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Oct 12 2009, 01:46 AM) *
It's not THAT spectacular either...

Mpppffttt.....hahahahahahahaha laugh.gif laugh.gif You're so cute!!

Guess who this is... biggrin.gif
Tennie
So it's not just Ronaldinho who parties before games.

Adrian Mutu was caught (by a gossip magazine) partying with young ladies til the wee hours of the morning in a restaurant a couple of days before Romania played (and got hammered by) Serbia. The NT coach (who I think is the same Lucescu that coaches Shakhtar) is quoted as saying that Mutu will never be called up again so long as he's coach.

http://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/calci...colo27275.shtml
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 12 2009, 06:38 PM) *
So it's not just Ronaldinho who parties before games.

Adrian Mutu was caught (by a gossip magazine) partying with young ladies til the wee hours of the morning in a restaurant a couple of days before Romania played (and got hammered by) Serbia. The NT coach (who I think is the same Lucescu that coaches Shakhtar) is quoted as saying that Mutu will never be called up again so long as he's coach.

http://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/calci...colo27275.shtml

i'm sure his Agent is shitting himself over all the PR he must need to help muutu out at this point, he really didn't need this sad.gif
Tennie
(from washingtonpost.com)

Davies in Serious Accident
By Steven Goff
Washington Post Staff Writer
Charlie Davies, a starting forward for the U.S. national soccer team, underwent several hours of surgery for non-life threatening injuries suffered in a fatal auto accident early Tuesday on the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Virginia, the U.S. Soccer Federation said.

Details of the surgery were not made available, but a USSF spokesman said the injuries were "possibly" career-threatening. No other players were in the vehicle, the USSF said.

The USSF later clarified its statement about Davies's future, saying it is unclear at the moment how the injuries will impact his career.

The one-car accident occurred around 3:15 a.m. on the southbound lanes of the parkway near the Memorial Bridge, which links Arlington with Washington. A park police spokesman told reporters that the driver apparently lost control of the vehicle and struck a metal railing. Ashley J. Roberta, 22, from Phoenix, Md., died at the scene.
It is unclear whether Davies was the driver or one of two passengers. [UPDATE] However, the USSF was told by police that Davies was not driving.

"The car was pretty much split in half," David Schlosser, a park police spokesman, told The Post.
The team learned of the accident late in the morning. Breakfast was optional for the players, so when Davies did not appear, there was no concern. No official team functions were scheduled until lunch. Coach Bob Bradley addressed the players in a meeting room at the team hotel in Pentagon City.

The U.S. team is in town for a World Cup qualifier Wednesday night at RFK Stadium against Costa Rica. The Americans clinched a Cup berth Saturday night in Honduras and has been based in Washington since Sunday.
Davies, 23, is in his first season with French club Sochaux. He assisted on Conor Casey's first goal in the 3-2 victory in Honduras before being replaced late in the match. Davies, a native of Manchester, N.H., played at Boston College before turning pro after the 2006 season and signing with Hammarby in Sweden.

For the national team, he has four goals in 17 appearances and played an integral part in the Americans' run to the Confederations Cup title game this past summer.

"As a team, we were saddened to learn this news," Bradley said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and Charlie's family as well as the others involved. ... It hit us all hard."

Players typically have a curfew during national team duty, but it's unclear whether one was in place this week since the team had clinched a World Cup berth

Just saw pictures on the evening news. The SUV really was split in half. That stretch of road is between National Airport and town, right along the Potomac and not far from where the team is staying. WTF he was doing out at 3am this close to a game is questionable. So is going along that road fast enough to split an SUV in half when losing control.

RIP to the woman who died.
kurtsimonw
RIP.

I was going to rant on about how I hope the injury is career threatening and that he doesn't play again, but seeing as he wasn't the driver that would be unfair.
Tennie
I feel sorry for the girl's family and for the girl who was driving (not sure what condition she's in). Davies was - according to the news - in surgery for 5 hours and has a broken leg and internal injuries. He's in serious condition at the hospital.
kurtsimonw
I can't understand why they're out speeding around at 3am, it's just stupid.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 13 2009, 11:22 PM) *
I can't understand why they're out speeding around at 3am, it's just stupid.

when you play with fire you tend to gett burned, when you play with fast vehicles, you tend to get wrecked sad.gif .
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Oct 14 2009, 05:47 AM) *
when you play with fire you tend to gett burned, when you play with fast vehicles, you tend to get wrecked sad.gif .

I think I'll stick to alcohol wrecking me, as opposed to cars.
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 14 2009, 12:49 AM) *
I think I'll stick to alcohol wrecking me, as opposed to cars.

nonono playing with alcohol can be fun smile.gif, so long as you don't drive to the bar smile.gif
Tennie
To be somewhat lighthearted before the games, Fishdoll offers the Little White Dogs any favour they want if their team wins today. 96.gif
kurtsimonw
Fabio says Agbonlahor is starting for England today. Hopefully he can put in a good performance. He was good on his debut against German, wasn't impressive against Spain and this will surely be one of his few chances to impress. This is your chance, Gabby, take it well and you'll be going to South Africa!
Tennie
Fishdoll hopes Milner plays too.

Kurt, did someone for england get sent off on Saturday?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 14 2009, 07:14 PM) *
Fishdoll hopes Milner plays too.

Kurt, did someone for england get sent off on Saturday?

I think Milner will probably play. Gerrard usually starts on the left now and he's "injured", so..

Yeah, Rob Green in goal. So that's not a big deal, he isn't our #1 anyway. James was great when he came on.

EDIT: Quite a good match build-up showing an interview with Capello. Milner seems to be highlighted alot which is a good sign. Fabio says 6/7 places are still up for grabs.
kurtsimonw
Foster, Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Bridge, Lennon, Lampard, Barry, Wright-Phillips, Crouch, Agbonlahor.
SUBS: Hart, Upson, Ashley Cole, Milner, Carrick, Beckham, Carlton Cole.

Not sure how long it'll be until Fabio realises Wright-Phillips simply isn't good enough to be in the squad.
kurtsimonw
A goal made at Villa Park.. Gareth Barry slides a ball in for Agbonlahor who then slides the ball accross to Crouch for a tap in. 1-0 England.
TriniKing_CE
GILLLLAAAAA!!!

3-2 Italy!!

HAT TRICK GILARDINO!!! smile.gif biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
Nice to see Mellberg with 2 for Sweden! biggrin.gif

England 3-0, Crouch with 2, SWP with the other. Pleased with Gabb's contribution. Milner came on at left back(!?) and did a decent job, great step over to beat a defender before he hit the post, really want him to get a goal! Crouch now has 18 goals in 17 starts (35 overall starts for England) which is a great record. The commentator said Beckham has never scored at the new Wembley, didn't know that.
Tennie
Fishdoll and I are going out into the pouring rain and cold temperatures (it's around 7-8 degrees C) to watch a meaningless NT game at RFK (the us play costa rica). With luck, we won't catch pneumonia. biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
I liked Fabio's post match comments. "David Beckham getting Man of the Match is like President Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize."

(Beckham only played 30 minutes)

EDIT: Tennie won't be enoying her evening, the US are 2-0 down at home to Costa Rica after 25 minutes.
servbot
Good news: US team played strong at the end, earned a 2-2 draw, scoring the equalizer in the last minute of play, while down to 10 men.

Bad news: They were down to 10 men because Onyewu got injured at about the 82' minute mark and no subs were left. Preliminary reports say torn patellar tendon, out 3 or 4 months.

The crowd seemed really into the match from the broadcast, hope Tennie and fishdoll had a good time despite the weather. It must have been cold - Altidore was wearing knit gloves during the match.
Tennie
Fishdoll and I are still alive! It only rained until just after halftime and the temperature was around 5-6 C, so not as bad as it could've been.

To be honest, the tailgate (YAY OKTOBERFEST BEER) and the Costa Rica bench getting sent off were generally more exciting and enjoyable than the vast majority of the game itself. Fishdoll'd need an extra set of teeth after this game if he were to bite everyone who played badly. The Americans mostly looked like cack and the way they moved, it seemed to me that they were taking it like a training game.

I was on the opposite side of the pitch from where Gooch got his injury but you could tell right away that it wasn't good. hopefully not as serious as a torn tendon.sad.gif

Fishdoll also -10 cookies to the fans at the Tardini today. During the game before Gilardino got his goalscoring boots on, the fans were chanting the names of players who were NOT playing (ie, Buffon, Chiellini, etc) because they were not happy. Lippi was FURIOUS in his postmatch game and I dont' blame him a bit. Admittedly some guys didn't have the best game but these are also guys not used to playing together (it's called an experimental side for a reason) and for whom starting for the NT was a really big deal. Very Bad Form for the Parma fans.
kurtsimonw
Glad you didn't have too bad a time. Rain + night game always helps a little with the atmosphere anyway I find!

I agree with you on the fans, this is something that really annoys me. Alot of people complain when the 'stars' are almost guarenteed a place in the team, yet when they're dropped to experiment with other players in what is a meaningless game.. the fans complain!

Lippi was on to a lose/lose today.
il_diavolo_mtl
Flippin* poland couldn't beat Sovakia, which means slovenia goes to the corrupt playoffs :furious!!!!!:
servbot
I do feel a bit bad for Costa Rica. Although they still have a chance, they were literally like 20 seconds away from booking a trip to the World Cup.
kurtsimonw
Ireland draw France in the fixed playoffs.

**** Platini. The cheating, corrupt little prick needs sorting out.
Tennie
Wrong cheating prick, Kurt. This wasn't Platini. This was Blatter. He's the one who announced and arranged for the seeding of playoffs. UEFA had nothing to do with it. It was a FIFA thing.
kurtsimonw
I can't believe for a second that UEFA had nothing to do with it, afterall, these are their countries.
Habitant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Oct 20 2009, 05:31 AM) *
Ireland draw France in the fixed playoffs.

**** Platini. The cheating, corrupt little prick needs sorting out.

ireland will progess, you've herd it here first!
Tennie
Actually, Kurt, Fishdoll doesn't think UEFA did. FIshdoll does think that REAL MADRID probably had something to do with it, though. There were stories all over the continental media about how much the club was set to lose if C Ronaldo didn't go to the world cup with Portugal. The next week Blatter makes his decision -- thing is, he's best buds with Florentino Perez, has been for ages and i would be unsurprised if discussions weren't had between the two about the desirability of seeing big countries (ie portugal) in the wc. So if you're looking at a corrupt ******* to throw things at, Blatter is a better choice on this occasion.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Habitant @ Oct 20 2009, 07:41 PM) *
ireland will progess, you've herd it here first!

I would prefer Ireland to France, but I just can't see it. sad.gif

QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 20 2009, 08:06 PM) *
Actually, Kurt, Fishdoll doesn't think UEFA did. FIshdoll does think that REAL MADRID probably had something to do with it, though. There were stories all over the continental media about how much the club was set to lose if C Ronaldo didn't go to the world cup with Portugal. The next week Blatter makes his decision -- thing is, he's best buds with Florentino Perez, has been for ages and i would be unsurprised if discussions weren't had between the two about the desirability of seeing big countries (ie portugal) in the wc. So if you're looking at a corrupt ******* to throw things at, Blatter is a better choice on this occasion.

Blatter it is then.

Thankfully England are a top 8 seed for the World Cup so there's no way he can **** us over for the seeding. Unless we magically drop when the next World rankings are announced, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Jack Sparrow
It wouldn't suprise me either. You guys suck. Your cricket team could beat your NT. At football. And they'd be playing blindfolded. On ONE leg. Without cleats. With 10 men.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Oct 21 2009, 05:38 AM) *
It wouldn't suprise me either. You guys suck. Your cricket team could beat your NT. At football. And they'd be playing blindfolded. On ONE leg. Without cleats. With 10 men.

Stop trolling.

You said cleats! laugh.gif laugh.gif
Tennie
Rather interesting call up list for Italy for the friendlies against the Netherlands and Sweden (list from mediaset):

PORTIERI: Gigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari).
DIFENSORI: Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Mattia Cassani (Palermo), Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa), Fabio Grosso (Juventus), Nicola Legrottaglie (Juventus), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Gianluca Zambrotta (Milan).
CENTROCAMPISTI: Davide Biondini (Cagliari), Mauro German Camoranesi (Juventus), Antonio Candreva (Livorno), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Daniele Galloppa (Parma), Marco Marchionni (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Andrea Pirlo (Milan).
ATTACCANTI: Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Raffaele Palladino (Genoa), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria) Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal).

First ever cap for Biondini and Candreva. Nice to see some of the guys who have done well for their clubs getting a run out (ie Galloppa, Maggio, Palladino, Pazzini) too. This is their chance to impress.
kurtsimonw
Fabio Capello has named his squad to face Brazil in six days time.

Goalkeepers
Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart.

Defenders
Wayne Bridge, Wes Brown, Gary Cahill, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders
Gareth Barry, David Beckham*, Michael Carrick, Tom Huddlestone, Jermaine Jenas, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young.

Forwards
Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

*If LA Galaxy win on Sunday evening then David Beckham will be unavailable for selection.

Nice to see Warnock in the squad, definitly deserves it. Been great at LB for us while Bridge is having a mare of a time at City, could very well be Cole and Warnock at LB for the World Cup. Good to see Milner still in the squad and a recall for Ash.. no Gabby though?
Tennie
Because of De Rossi being injured by Patrick Vieira, he's not able to take part in the Italy friendlies.

Lippi has called up Riccardo Montolivo of Fiorentina as a replacement (according to eurosport, mediaset, etc etc)
Zed.D
QUOTE (goal.com)
Dunga Omits Alexandre Pato From Brazil Squad For England Friendly

The Brazil coach has named his squad for the upcoming international friendlies...

Brazil coach Carlo Dunga has named his squad for the upcoming international friendlies against England on November 14 and against Oman three days later.

Dunga somewhat surprisingly opted to omit in form AC Milan attacker Alexandre Pato from his squad in order to make room for Porto striker Hulk, who is set to make his official debut for the Selecao.

Additionally, attacking midfielders Carlos Eduardo of German outfit TSG Hoffenheim and Michel Bastos of French powerhouse Olympique Lyon received their first call-up as well.

Roma duo Doni and Juan were both called-up by Dunga despite injuries, but it appears to be very much unlikely that the Romans will release the players for the friendly games due to their lack of fitness.

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter), Doni (AS Roma).

Defenders: Maicon (Inter), Lucio (Inter), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Luisao (Benfica), Juan (AS Roma), Naldo (Werder Bremen), Fabio Aurelio (Liverpool)

Midfielders: Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon), Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Josue (VfL Wolfsburg), Lucas (Liverpool), Felipe Melo (Juventus), Alex (Spartak Moscow), Julio Baptista (AS Roma), Carlos Eduardo (TSG Hoffenheim), Ramires (Benfica), Elano (Galatasaray), Kaka (Real Madrid)

Attackers: Robinho (Manchester City), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Nilmar (Villarreal), Hulk (FC Porto)

Pato needs a little rest, but even if he didn't Dunga wouldn't have called him up anyway.

What exactly has Robinho done recently to earn his call up? I just checked, he's made only 2 appearances for City this season! what has Baptista done?... why isn't Silva there?

This is utterly ridiculous!
Tennie
Is that from goal.com, zeddie? Please remember to cite sources.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Nov 9 2009, 10:05 AM) *
Pato needs a little rest, but even if he didn't Dunga wouldn't have called him up anyway.

What exactly has Robinho done recently to earn his call up? I just checked, he's made only 2 appearances for City this season! what has Baptista done?... why isn't Silva there?

This is utterly ridiculous!

thats just racism! I agree, his choices are absoloute bs!

Even in the Gk department, I think dida deserves a call over doni! Silva not included in the squad! laugh.gif He is currently the best (formwise) brazillian defender in the world.

No dinho and what is an absoloute f*cking joke is the fact that he omits Pato. This guy is absoloutly retarted
Bluesummers
so our only call ups have been zambrotta and Pirlo. That means the whole squad gets 2 weeks to rest and prepare for the big marseille clash smile.gif

Also I hope brazil lose so Dunga can shove a fat one up his *** smile.gif
Jack Sparrow
Actually...Dunga's choices have been vindicated so far. He's picking the players to suit his tactics instead of vice versa, and until it flops miserably we can't complain.
While I don't in the least bit mind, them having the rest (it's only a friendly)..it would suck if they weren't called for the World Cup.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 9 2009, 10:54 PM) *
Actually...Dunga's choices have been vindicated so far. He's picking the players to suit his tactics instead of vice versa, and until it flops miserably we can't complain.
While I don't in the least bit mind, them having the rest (it's only a friendly)..it would suck if they weren't called for the World Cup.

I will stop supporting brazil if he doesn't call up Pato mad.gif
kurtsimonw
So are Brazil still great, I haven't seen them play for a while, should I expect England to get beat badly?
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 9 2009, 11:12 PM) *
So are Brazil still great, I haven't seen them play for a while, should I expect England to get beat badly?

no not under capello. The most you guys will lose by 1 goal if you lose that is.
MizNelson
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Nov 9 2009, 08:03 PM) *
Even in the Gk department, I think dida deserves a call over doni!

Dida quit the national team three years ago.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Nov 10 2009, 12:32 AM) *
Dida quit the national team three years ago.

ohmy.gif really!? I didn't know that. Anyways he deserves a call!
Jack Sparrow
So do Maldini and Nesta! tongue.gif But they're not interested.

Dida retired around the same time he was starting to get roundly crucified as the worst GK playing for a top club.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.