Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2010 - South Africa
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
Protagonist
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 15 2009, 06:43 PM) *
I think France are a 2nd seed but I'm not sure. Are they below England in the World rankings? If os, then they are a 2nd seed as I believe we hold the last #1 spot.

hmm, would winning the WC in 98 and finalists in 2006 make a difference in our seeding? Now that I think of it, we should be first, no? huh.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Protagonist @ Nov 15 2009, 08:55 PM) *
hmm, would winning the WC in 98 and finalists in 2006 make a difference in our seeding? Now that I think of it, we should be first, no? huh.gif

It's done on the FIFA World rankings, except for the hosts who automatically get a 1st seed.

So the Worlds top 7 (should they all qualify) and the hosts will be first seeds. As it stands all the top 7 have qualified (Brazil, Spain, Holland, Italy, Germany, Argentina and England) so will be the 1st seeds along with South Africa.

I don't agree with the World Rankings personally, I think France should be a 1st seed, but it's just FIFAs way of being able to fix the tournement as they like.
dst
How is Argentina still among the top 7?
Habitant
when is the draw? i'm going to be more excited for this then any of the qualifying matches i've watched so far.
kurtsimonw
4th December I think.

Scotland have sacked mnager George Burley. Shame really, I liked what he was doing there.
Zed.D
QUOTE (Football Italia)
Govt end Amauri's Azzurri dream?

Monday 16 November, 2009

Amauri’s World Cup dream could be over, as he cannot become a citizen before March 5, so he’ll miss the last friendly before the tournament.

The Brazilian is in the process of gaining his Italian passport so he can represent the Azzurri in South Africa 2010.

He can only become a citizen because his wife, also Brazilian, achieved her passport in March. However, new laws state a husband must wait a full year before he can gain citizenship through marriage.

Today the government confirmed it cannot swear Amauri in until March 5, 2010 – two days after the final Italy friendly test.

It means Marcello Lippi would have to add the Juventus striker to his World Cup squad without playing a single game first.

This suggests 29-year-old Amauri’s dream of representing Italy in this tournament is all but over.

And now, this:

QUOTE (Football Italia)
FIGC sets Lippi future deadline

Monday 16 November, 2009

FIGC President Giancarlo Abete concedes they “must reach South Africa with a clear idea” on who will replace Marcello Lippi.

The Italy Coach has hinted he will step down after the 2010 tournament, regardless of the result, therefore ending his second stint on the bench.

“There are many months to go yet and we were concentrated on qualification,” he told Radio GR Parlamento.

“We must reach South Africa with a clear idea, but without letting this issue become the only problem.”

Lippi caused shockwaves when he resigned days after lifting the 2006 trophy in Berlin, but this time around the departure is more signposted.

Candidates to take over include Fiorentina boss Cesare Prandelli, former Inter Coach Roberto Mancini, ex-Roma tactician Luciano Spalletti and Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti.

When Roberto Donadoni’s contract was up during the Euro 2008 competition, question marks over his future dogged the team.

“The Federation is responsible for planning. In a calm way, without proclamations, we will avoid a similar situation to what happened in Euro 2008,” added Abete.

The FIGC has also been under pressure over the issue of Oriundi – nationalised foreign players – as Giampaolo Pazzini complained about Amauri joining the Azzurri.

“Today the only parameter is citizenship. If a player is an Italian citizen, then he has every right to be called up for the Nazionale.

“There is a policy that the Federation is eager not to spread the presence of non-native players too widely. Lippi has also said many times it is something to be limited to a few players.

“We do not want to lose our identity, but neither do we wish to discriminate.”

This is what prompted Lazio striker Mauro Zarate’s agent to suggest the FIGC had asked him to leave Argentina for the Azzurri.

“No director from the Italian Federation has spoken to Zarate,” assured Abete. “I think the player’s agent is trying to send messages to either us or the Argentine Federation.”

Is it just me or do those lines really indicate that there'll be a new oriundo in the Azzurri?
Zed.D
He's probably outside celebrating right now but congrats to dst and his country for making it to the World Cup.

Now if only France, Portugal and Uruguay qualify. it'll be one hell of a World Cup!
Habitant
keaaaaaaanoo!
Habitant
fifa is disgusting, henry clearly uses his hand to control then pass to gallas who has a gaping net, 1-1. webb is a disgrace
Locke Lamora
Right now, I'm overjoyed Henry doesn't play for Arsenal any more. That was a complete disgrace.
kurtsimonw
I don't care that Ireland didn't make it, but it's typical of the French to cheat their way into the tournement. They look awful though, and I thought England were bad. laugh.gif

I am also glad Russia aren't there. I don't care if it makes me bitter or whatever, Croatia and Russia not being at the World Cup is something I'd have wanted and it's happened.
dst
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Nov 18 2009, 10:23 PM) *
He's probably outside celebrating right now but congrats to dst and his country for making it to the World Cup.

Second time in our history! biggrin.gif (first was at the USA)

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Nov 18 2009, 10:23 PM) *
Now if only France, Portugal and Uruguay qualify. it'll be one hell of a World Cup!

All that matters is that we're in it... that's what makes it special... tongue.gif
Habitant
also mtl must be celebrating cuz slovenija are in, i have this feel they will get drawn with italy wink.gif
Habitant
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Nov 18 2009, 08:23 PM) *

they played like shitttt, ireland completely outplayed them in reg time and should have won by 3 or 4 goals.

they complain and biker like no other national team around, tbh the world cup would be better off without them despite their supposed quality.
MizNelson
Even if Henry had taken the ball and spun it on his finger before passing it (which he might as well have done), I couldn't help but be amused at the typically overblown English media headline.

QUOTE (timesonline.co.uk)
Thierry Henry is an insincere cheat who has tarnished his reputation for good

Henry's handball was horrific indeed, but it's funny how he's practically labeled the devil for cheating in a nation where Gerrard specializes in it on a near-weekly basis.
Zed.D
QUOTE (dst @ Nov 19 2009, 06:27 AM) *

All that matters is that we're in it... that's what makes it special... tongue.gif

I thought you'd participated more than that. I can't imagine how special it is for your country now. Congrats again biggrin.gif

-

"CHEAThierry" | Henry's Law laugh.gif

EDIT: oh, turns out Guus is not THAT special after all... happy.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (Habitant @ Nov 19 2009, 06:06 AM) *
they played like shitttt, ireland completely outplayed them in reg time and should have won by 3 or 4 goals.

they complain and biker like no other national team around, tbh the world cup would be better off without them despite their supposed quality.

Yeah you're right. had they not cheated like this and won the game fair and square, I would've disagreed that the World Cup would be better off without them. but now... man, I feel bad for the Irish people, the players and Trap! I'm really curious to hear Platini's comments on this one rolleyes.gif

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElObQcnl0dw

France's goal from the French channel TF1. I wish I knew French. does the announcer 'see' it? dry.gif
ganney
its not just henry, FIFA ALSO ARE CHEATS! first they come up with the dubious idea of seeding the so-called big teams against smaller ones in europe, here in africa the ref in the final group game(algeria- egypt) gave 6 whole injury time minutes and egypt(african champions) went on to score the 2nd goal they needed to force a play-off game which they still lost lastnite, fifa really wanted the african champs but algeria had other ideas.
another one from the weekend was my beloved nigeria playing the crucial must win match against kenya, the ref issued 3injury time minutes but only 1.44m was played( ref couldn't risk a late kenyan equaliser), i'm happy about that one though.
NIGERIA!!! hope we kick *** at the mundial
LaPalma
QUOTE (dst @ Nov 16 2009, 04:03 PM) *
How is Argentina still among the top 7?

And how are Italy and Holland in front of Germany?

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Nov 18 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Meh...tbh I wish Bosnia would have made it. Seeing Ronaldo cry on the stands would have been awesome laugh.gif

QUOTE (dst @ Nov 19 2009, 02:57 AM) *

I'm very happy for Greece to make it. Especially since one of my favorite players (Gekas) is Greek and one of my favorite coaches still at the helm.

Btw...Slovenia winning against Russia is a huge surprise for me, they looked good in both matches against us...and now Zaltko Dedic sends hem home. If he were only scoring like that for Bochum. Just like Algerias Yahia...
Zed.D
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 19 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Meh...tbh I wish Bosnia would have made it. Seeing Ronaldo cry on the stands would have been awesome laugh.gif

biggrin.gif Disagree. seeing him cry in the World Cup would be better!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (ganney @ Nov 19 2009, 08:51 AM) *
its not just henry, FIFA ALSO ARE CHEATS!

Yes, yes they are. Let's hope no fixes go on this time at the actual tournement.

I suppose it's good to see some big name countries qualify. There's always a few nobody countries like Greece that have to go and ruin it though. wink.gif
kurtsimonw
It seems they aren't doing the seeding for the draw how I expected, they're using something to do with the previous 2 tournements as well as rankings to determine the seeds. In other words, fixing it how they want.

POT A - South Africa, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Spain, England, France, Argentina.

POT B - Portugal, Holland, Switzerland, Slovenia, Greece, Denmark, Serbia, Slovakia.

POT C - Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Ghana, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Algeria.

POT D - South Korea, North Korea, Australia, Japan, USA, Honouras, New Zealand, Mexico.

I don't think these pots are certain yet as they made decide to change around some teams in pots C and D.

ENGLAND
Slovakia
Algeria
New Zealand

plz.
Zed.D
Mexico in pot D?!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Nov 19 2009, 01:04 PM) *
Mexico in pot D?!

Only POT A is seeded by how good the teams are. The rest are just made so that there can not be more than 2 UEFA nations in the same pot and no other nations from the same continent can be in the same pot.
Zed.D
That explains it, thanks.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Nov 19 2009, 11:07 AM) *
biggrin.gif Disagree. seeing him cry in the World Cup would be better!

+1000
Habitant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 19 2009, 12:13 PM) *
It seems they aren't doing the seeding for the draw how I expected, they're using something to do with the previous 2 tournements as well as rankings to determine the seeds. In other words, fixing it how they want.

I don't think these pots are certain yet as they made decide to change around some teams in pots C and D.

ENGLAND
Slovakia
Algeria
New Zealand

plz.

hey gimme new zealand and algeria, but you can have slovakia i'll have slovenia tongue.gif

kurtsimonw
Is it insulting to them that I honestly can't tell them apart? I never know which is which (Slovakia and Slovenia I'm talking about).

I know Zahovic played for one of them, Slovenia I think.
ganney
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 19 2009, 01:01 PM) *
Yes, yes they are. Let's hope no fixes go on this time at the actual tournement.

i just do not trust any draws these days, for instance this years ECL draw is just a sham, its so conveniently placed, they created all these seemingly co-incidental fixtures.
milan/madrid, kaka.
inter/ barca , eto'o, ibra
then as usual the english teams get an all too easy ride into the knock-out phase
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (ganney @ Nov 19 2009, 09:03 PM) *
i just do not trust any draws these days, for instance this years ECL draw is just a sham, its so conveniently placed, they created all these seemingly co-incidental fixtures.
milan/madrid, kaka.
inter/ barca , eto'o, ibra
then as usual the english teams get an all too easy ride into the knock-out phase

I agree that there's a certain amount of fix in them. Liverpool get it easy, wouldn't say Arsenal, Chelsea or United get it particularly easy any year though.
dst
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 19 2009, 11:59 AM) *
I'm very happy for Greece to make it. Especially since one of my favorite players (Gekas) is Greek and one of my favorite coaches still at the helm.

Yeah... about that coach... if he keeps fielding 5 defenders I'm going to... well... I'm going to be heavily annoyed.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 19 2009, 02:01 PM) *
I suppose it's good to see some big name countries qualify. There's always a few nobody countries like Greece that have to go and ruin it though. wink.gif

What did we ruin? We made CR cry!
ganney
By Andrew Southwick goal.com

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has leapt to the defence of Thierry Henry after his handball helped France qualify for the World Cup.

Henry's handball in the build up to the winning goal in Wednesday's play-off against the Republic of Ireland has brought condemnation from across the football world.

Ireland have called on FIFA to replay the match, something which Henry has also supported, though the French Football Federation have refuted the suggestion.

Wenger, Henry's former manager at Arsenal, admitted that he was 'embarrassed', but defended Henry.

"I believe it is embarrassing," he told Sky Sports News. "I support France and it's embarrassing to qualify the way we qualified.

"I feel Thierry will feel vindicated in a wrong way because anybody who has played football can understand these kind of reactions.

"He was the big loser in this story, because if he had come out and said 'it was a handball', half of France would say 'how crazy is he?' to cut off the road to the World Cup. And if he doesn't say it straight away then he is as well guilty.

"Thierry Henry has played here for 10 years basically and has always been super fair. Football and sport in general is full of heroes who have cheated 10 times more than Thierry.

"If someone has to do something for Thierry Henry it is French football and France as a country, and not leave him out there alone against the whole world."

When asked whether he expected Henry to own up immediately, he added: "It is feasible to think it, is it realistic? No.

"I think it's not right to put the responsibility on one side, on the player's shoulder, and say you have to win absolutely at any cost and you have to qualify us.

"And then when that happens the whole country turns against Thierry Henry, I think that's unfair.

"He has come out and said he has made a mistake and touched the ball with his hand, he is honest."

Wenger called for a replay in 1999 when Arsenal unfairly defeated Sheffield United in the FA Cup after Nwankwo Kanu failed to pass the ball back to the goalkeeper from a throw-in, and the Gunners boss believes in fairness.

"I like justice in sport and I believe that football has a big responsibility to show how you want international life to go on and be an example for people who watch the game," he added..

"That is part of the values football wants to defend.

"I believe that there are only two opportunities - One France can offer to replay, which I support personally, and the second situation is that FIFA has to make a decision on that issue. Can we make sure that that doesn't happen again.

"We want to beat Ireland properly and that didn't happen, simple as that. Let's make sure that it doesn't happen again."

Wenger also conceded that the referee was not to blame for allowing the goal, commenting: "What is terrible for the referee is he gave the goal knowing something was not regular, and yet no help.

"He knew that something was not right. Then he asked for some help from the linesman, who couldn't give him the help."

wenger'd have made an excellent lawyer, he is actually tryna get us feel sympathy for the losing team, the winning team as well as henry and the ref
amancik
Wenger pretty much sums up how I feel. I partially blame Henry for the deliberate use of hand in assisting the goal, the main thing is that the system is flawed. Football is no longer just sport. There's a lot at stake in modern football. Like he said, either France offer to replay (which would be crazy) or FIFA to do something about it.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (amancik @ Nov 21 2009, 11:07 AM) *
I partially blame Henry for the deliberate use of hand in assisting the goal, the main thing is that the system is flawed.

I agree with this.

No point in asking FIFA on anything like this. They're crooks, they fixed it how they wanted it and that's that.
ganney
everything about that goal just oozes foul play, when the free-kick was taken 2 french guys were offside, 1french dude jumped and attempted to bring the ball down with his hand but missed then henry took his turn, seems to me they were instructed to do whatever it takes to get the goal and the ref will wave away all protests, i really do feel for the irish.
han2503
QUOTE (ganney @ Nov 21 2009, 11:09 PM) *
everything about that goal just oozes foul play, when the free-kick was taken 2 french guys were offside, 1french dude jumped and attempted to bring the ball down with his hand but missed then henry took his turn, seems to me they were instructed to do whatever it takes to get the goal and the ref will wave away all protests, i really do feel for the irish.

Well having the slimy Frenchies at the World Cup will be far more beneficial and lucrative for FIFA then having the Irish in the finals
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 21 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Well having the slimy Frenchies at the World Cup will be far more beneficial and lucrative for FIFA then having the Irish in the finals

Yep, it's all about the money. It's also why Korea made the SFs in 2002, keep peak interest in Asia for as long as possible and you'll be looking at tones of $£$.
kurtsimonw
FIFA are meeting over some play-off issues apparently. I think that's code word for: "Crap, we fixed it as much as we could yet Russia still failed to qualify, how much more can we fix it next time around?"
kurtsimonw
The FAI have made a proposal to FIFA to make them the 33rd team in the World Cup. This is getting sad now, just get over it.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 30 2009, 05:34 PM) *
The FAI have made a proposal to FIFA to make them the 33rd team in the World Cup. This is getting sad now, just get over it.

The FAI? Who are they?
Tennie
(The Irish FA, Locke).
Zed.D
QUOTE (Football Italia)
Blog: Totti? No thanks

Francesco Totti is considering a return to the Italian side ahead of the World Cup. Serafino Ingardia questions his national pride

When Francesco Totti retired from La Nazionale a large number of fans and pundits pleaded with Er Pupone to reconsider his position. Nevertheless, the Roma legend made it clear he’d had enough of the Azzurri and wanted to focus on his club.

He made no secret that the Giallorossi were his priority and underlined it even when there was no real need to do so. “To me, Roma counts much more than Italy. Winning the Scudetto was more important than the World Cup,” he confessed.

Nothing wrong with that really, if his heart lies at the Olimpico then that is where it should stay. Totti is indeed a fantastic player but he has already made his choice and can’t simply change his mind whenever he feels like it.

It is easy now with the World Cup quickly approaching to jump on the boat and travel to Africa. But where was Totti when the Azzurri had to visit the icy Georgia or face the Bulgarian side? He stayed at home, relaxing and minding his own business – impressive attitude eh?!

But of course he will want to play now that the far from appealing games are over. So if Marcello Lippi takes him to South Africa he may as well give him the captain’s armband for all I care.

Totti has shown no respect for the Nazionale and he should quietly stay at home like Alessandro Nesta will. Even the Milan defender was offered a place back in the team, but he rightly refused – he had made an ethical choice and will stick to it. Credit to the guy.

And one last thing, are Italy so desperate that they have to force a 33-year-old player away from retirement ahead of a big tournament? He would no doubt find space in this side but wouldn’t settle so easily for a place on the bench either.

There is plenty of talent around for Lippi to consider before him and Totti betrayed our national pride. There are so many players who would give their soul to play for the Azzurri even if it meant travelling around the world ahead of the needs of their respective clubs. Now it’s time for Lippi to show them some respect.

Took the words right out of my mouth. NO TOTTI AT THE WORLD CUP.
kurtsimonw
Hopefully not, wouldn't want to see them do well.
Habitant
or win a 5th world cup title :PPPPPPP
Habitant
Habitant
FFS spain always get a easy group. it was 50/50 on who was gonna get portugal between G and H!!

for once germany get a tough one.

gotta be happy for italy biggrin.gif

england has it easy as well
Habitant

amancik
No group of death for next year's world cup. Group G would probably be the toughest but all in all relatively balanced through out.
Habitant
what sux for itlay fans is we cross over with f and H so potentially, portugal, brazil spain...
Zed.D
LMAO @ Spain's group. they'll qualify playing their reserves. lucky basterds!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.