Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2010 - South Africa
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
Tennie
But not until the quarters. wink.gif

Sure glad Italy didn't end up in Group G or Group D. Neither is easy. Italy got an easy draw for once; they better not mess it up.
Habitant
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 4 2009, 06:45 PM) *
But not until the quarters. wink.gif

Sure glad Italy didn't end up in Group G or Group D. Neither is easy. Italy got an easy draw for once; they better not mess it up.

hehe ya i'm thining ahead biggrin.gif
but ya round of sixten will surely be against either japan, cameroon or or danemark.
thats assuming italy end tops which theyyy must.
Warchant
finally the US gets a good draw.

can't wait for the US/England matchup.
Bluesummers
brazil got it tough sad.gif Though, its gonna be great to see Pato and Dinho rip these teams apart. It'll make me even happier if Silva played and shut down overrated diveba.
Tennie
They'd have to get call ups to do that, Blue, and Dunga doesn't seem inclined to do that much these days.

Personally, Fishdoll wouldn't mind seing Cote d'Ivoire and North Korea going through in that group. He is not a particular fan of either Brazil or (so long as C Ronaldo is playing) Portugal.
Habitant
so the hab is very excited.

@ fishdoll the order of the matches to be played in group F are also very favorable.

we get ride of our toughest match right away, then play N zealand for the 2nd match when it's so important to get a win if they dont already have one. then play slovakia last and if we need a result. (we wouldnt wanna play new zealand last cuz they probably wont be playing for anything for the 3rd match and we cant get screwed over like at euro 04)
Bluesummers
Dunga better call them, i'd be so pissed if he leave pato out of wc.

Teams I'd personally like to go through:

Group A: Uruguay, mexico
Group B: Argentina, Greece
Group C: England, USA
Group D: Ghana, Serbia
Group E: Holland, Japan
Group F: Paraguay, Slovakia
Group G: Brazil, Portugal
Group H: Spain, chile

My team for the tourney is def Brazil though.
Tennie
Not an Italy fan then, Blue? Interesting.

Here are Fishdoll's picks:

Group A: Uruguay South Africa
Group B: Nigeria Argentina
Group C: England Slovenia
Group D: Germany Ghana
Group E: Netherlands Cameroon
Group F: Italy Paraguay
Group G: Cote d'Ivoire Brazil
Group H: Spain Chile
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 4 2009, 01:35 PM) *

nope not of this italy. I personally think they play very ugly football and I personally don't like Lippi and how he plays his favorites game.

I stopped supporting them when he refused to call up a player like Cassano, who is arguably the best italian attacker in the league.
Bluesummers
Ruud Gullit, former Rossoneri tulip, according to rumors it would be near the bench of Nigeria. His name has been linked to the African team, as well as that of Roberto Mancini, who is the hypothesis that possibility. Gullit, now in Cape Town for the World Cup draw for the group, commented on the possible rotation with Nigeria, "many rumors circulating, Nigeria among the other has a coach at the time."

Milannews.it

How the hell are you going to coach nigeria? Your a scout here LOL! No wonder we haven't seen any foreign youth links recently. Braida is the only one doing his job!
Tennie
A more accurate translation (is that google translate?) would be that Gullit was quoted as saying that the Nigera coaching thing is only a rumor.

Gullit was in Cape Town as part of the group promoting a joint Netherlands-Belgium WC bid, fyi.
kurtsimonw
What on Earth..? England have a fairly nice group, has FIFA made a mistake or something? biggrin.gif

Very pleased with the Ivory Coast being paired with Portugal and Brazil.
Warchant
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 4 2009, 01:35 PM) *

slovenia? they barely made it into the world cup.

you gotta give your homtown yanks some support dry.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 4 2009, 01:52 PM) *
A more accurate translation (is that google translate?) would be that Gullit was quoted as saying that the Nigera coaching thing is only a rumor.

Gullit was in Cape Town as part of the group promoting a joint Netherlands-Belgium WC bid, fyi.

good! yes its google translate.

Still I hope he's not just lazying around like most scouts do.
Tennie
QUOTE (Warchant @ Dec 4 2009, 03:26 PM) *

Fishdoll is terribly unpatriotic, Warchant. It's sad. But he is just not a fan of the US NT.
Warchant
QUOTE (Tennie @ Dec 4 2009, 02:40 PM) *
Fishdoll is terribly unpatriotic, Warchant. It's sad. But he is just not a fan of the US NT.

i am saddened sad.gif
Zed.D
My picks:

Group A: France - Uruguay
Group B: Argentina - Greece
Group C: England - USA
Group D: Germany - Ghana
Group E: Holland - Denmark
Group F: Italy - Paraguay
Group G: Brazil - Portugal
Group H: Spain - Switzerland

I didn't think too much tho.

QUOTE (Warchant @ Dec 5 2009, 12:24 AM) *
i am saddened sad.gif

My father is a US fan!
il_diavolo_mtl
QUOTE (Warchant @ Dec 4 2009, 03:26 PM) *

we will crush you *fingers crossed*
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Dec 4 2009, 09:14 PM) *
we will crush you *fingers crossed*

If Slovenia are anything like the team that played England a few months ago, you'll be lucky not to finish bottom of the group, no offense. Then again, the US were awful when we played them recently too. England and Algeria maybe? biggrin.gif
Habitant
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Dec 4 2009, 10:06 PM) *
My father is a US fan!

arent you persian?!?!
Ry4n
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 4 2009, 08:07 PM) *
What on Earth..? England have a fairly nice group, has FIFA made a mistake or something? biggrin.gif

Very pleased with the Ivory Coast being paired with Portugal and Brazil.

what a group !!!!!!!!! can't wait to get hold of these tickets !!

P.S

Charlize Theron the actress made me laugh a little some awkward moments lol

" Your so full of facts " laugh.gif

and the ooooo's when she kissed Beckham lol

lol i better go to sleep now tongue.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (Ry4n @ Dec 5 2009, 11:23 AM) *
Charlize Theron the actress made me laugh a little some awkward moments lol

" Your so full of facts " laugh.gif

and the ooooo's when she kissed Beckham lol

lol i better go to sleep now tongue.gif

I didn't know she was a South African actress... unsure.gif

Oh and as for Beckham... he had the worst haircut ever!

QUOTE (Habitant @ Dec 5 2009, 10:05 AM) *
arent you persian?!?!

Yeah, why?
Ry4n
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Dec 5 2009, 08:00 AM) *
I didn't know she was a South African actress... unsure.gif

Oh and as for Beckham... he had the worst haircut ever!

yah not a good choice of hair cut lol
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 4 2009, 10:07 PM) *

I sometimes forget that everyone is against England. Thankfully you're here to remind me.
LaPalma
I certainly want our team to play England in the quarterfinal or so. The German group is not that tough IMO. Also, when you wanna be the new world champion you should be good enough to beat a team like Ghana.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Ry4n @ Dec 5 2009, 06:53 AM) *
what a group !!!!!!!!! can't wait to get hold of these tickets !!

I wish I could get hold of some, even for just one game. I'd walk to SA a well if I could!

QUOTE (dst @ Dec 5 2009, 10:32 AM) *
I sometimes forget that everyone is against England. Thankfully you're here to remind me.

No problem, it's what I'm hear to do. Oh, lose to Argentina and I will actually hate you.

QUOTE (LaPalma @ Dec 6 2009, 01:54 PM) *
I certainly want our team to play England in the quarterfinal or so. The German group is not that tough IMO. Also, when you wanna be the new world champion you should be good enough to beat a team like Ghana.

If we both win our groups, we can't meet until the Final if I worked it our correctly. It's about time we had another competitive game against each other, was 2001 really the last 1? And that was still only in qualifying!

Yeah, you're right about right about the groups, you shoulldn't fear anyone if you want to become Champions.
il_diavolo_mtl
Shouldn't we have a WC 2010 thread, or will we be using this one?
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 6 2009, 06:49 PM) *
If we both win our groups, we can't meet until the Final if I worked it our correctly. It's about time we had another competitive game against each other, was 2001 really the last 1? And that was still only in qualifying!

Yeah, you're right about right about the groups, you shoulldn't fear anyone if you want to become Champions.

The last match I remember was in 1996 wink.gif
Yeah, I guess 2001 was the last one. sleep.gif

QUOTE (il_diavolo_mtl @ Dec 6 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Shouldn't we have a WC 2010 thread, or will we be using this one?

Just renamed this one.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Dec 6 2009, 07:32 PM) *
The last match I remember was in 1996 wink.gif
Yeah, I guess 2001 was the last one. sleep.gif

Just had a look at our tournement records against each other. I didn't realise how close it was.

World Cup - 1966. England 4-2 Germany (AET)
World Cup - 1970. Germany 3-2 England (AET)
World Cup - 1982. England 0-0 Germany
World Cup - 1990. Germany 1-1 England (4-3 pens)
Euro's - 1996. Germany 1-1 England (6-5 pens)
Euro's - 2000. England 1-0 Germany

So there's only 1 time a game between us has ever been won in 90 minutes!
LaPalma
Very close indeed. Maybe my perception on this was influenced by out victory in 96. Very lucky that was. I still remember the moment Gazza almost scored the golden goal but missed the ball by a few centimeters. That was sooo close.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Dec 6 2009, 08:04 PM) *
Very close indeed. Maybe my perception on this was influenced by out victory in 96. Very lucky that was. I still remember the moment Gazza almost scored the golden goal but missed the ball by a few centimeters. That was sooo close.

96 was probably the most one-sided in terms of ability out of those. England weren't a very good side, we only qualified as hosts and were ranked 27th in the World earlier in the year. If we'd have gone on to win Euro 96.. well, it'd be like Mexico winning the World Cup next year.
Bluesummers
Coach (country)

Salary:

Fabio Capello (England) $9,900,000

Marcelo Lippi (Italy) $4,100,000

Javier Aguirre (Mexico) $4,000,000

Berter van Marwijk (Netherlands) $2,700,000

Ottmar Hitzfeld (Switzerland) $2,600,000

Joachim Low (Germany) $2,300,000

Vicente del Bosque (Spain) $2,200,000

Carlos Queiroz (Portugal) $2,000,000

Pim Verbeek (Australia) $1,820,000

Carlos Parreira (South Africa) $1,800,000

Dunga (Brazil) $1,250,000

Diego Maradona (Argentina) $1,200,000

Takeshi Okada (Japan) $1,200,000

Ricki Herbert (New Zealand) $1,200,000

Otto Rehhagel (Greece) $1,150,000

Paul Le Guen (Cameroon) $960,000

Marcelo Bielsa (Chile) $850,000

Vahdi Halilhodzic (Ivory Coast) $740,000

R. Domenech (France) $720,000

Hun Jung Moo (South Korea) $600,000

Morten Olsen (Denmark) $570,000

Milovan Rajevac (Ghana) $540,000

Bob Bradley (US) $400,000

Radomir Antic (Serbia) $447,000

Matjaz Kek (Slovenia) $360,000

Gerardo Martino (Paraguay) $360,000

Rabah Saadane (Algeria) $360,000

Reinaldo Rueda (Honduras) $350,000

Vladimir Weiss (Slovakia) $312,000

Oscar Washington Tabarez (Uruguay) $300,000

Kim Jon Hun (North Korea) $250,000

Shaibu Amodu (Nigeria) $180,000
LaPalma
Who is Berter van Marwijk and where are these stats from?
kurtsimonw
At that money, if Capello doesn't win the World Cup he's failed. Robbery!
dst
It's a robbery even if he wins the WC... but you would not care then. biggrin.gif

Shouldn't The Arrogant One be on that list?
LaPalma
The country of "Mourinho is god" doesn't participate in next years World Cup. They would win too easily.
dst
I just realized what the list is about.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Dec 15 2009, 05:44 PM) *
I just realized what the list is about.

This is way too easy to make fun of, I'll let it go.
kurtsimonw
Not 2010 WC, but these are the stadiums selecting in Englands 2018 and 2022 bids. Some of them are quite surprising.

Stadium of Light
Wembley
Villa Park
City of Manchester Stadium
New Notts Forest stadium
Emirates stadium
Elland Road
Hillsborough
St James Park
Ashtonvale stadium (Bristol)
White Hart Lane (new) or Olympic
Home Park in Plymouth
Old Trafford
Anfield (or new Anfield)
Milton Keynes Stadium MK

I must say I'm very plesed that we didn't go the sympathy path and include Hampden or the Millenium Stadium. I had a feeling we would seeing as they'll never be able to host a WC. Oh well. biggrin.gif
Danny
Kurt, what do you make of yer boy Cuellar being tracked by Real Madrid and looking a contender for SA?

I must admit I was surprised when I heard about both, quite a turnaround after a slow start for him.

But we saw in the CL for us how good he could be.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Danny @ Dec 18 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Kurt, what do you make of yer boy Cuellar being tracked by Real Madrid and looking a contender for SA?

I must admit I was surprised when I heard about both, quite a turnaround after a slow start for him.

But we saw in the CL for us how good he could be.

I'm fairly surprised about him looking a contender for the Spain squad. Being tracked by Madrid is a bit less surprising, he's better than Pepe (who I don't rate at all) and Metzelder and they're in need of a CB.

I remember the 2nd leg on the UEFA Cup SF for Rangers against Fiorentina where he was a beast for you, one of the better defensive performances I've seen in the last few years.

He took his time to settle (much like Petrov and Maloney did) but he's been great for us this season. Didn't help him that he was pushed to RB and he's never had a consistant CB partner (Laursen, Davies, Knight, Dunne, Clark have al started next to him and he's only been here 16 months!). But alongside Dunne he's looked fantastic. Would love him to make the Spain squad, I have a feeling there will be very few players outside of Spain making it though. I'll probably say Torres, Reina and Fabregas are the only ones.
Tennie
(from NY Times)

Paraguay's Cabanas Shot in Mexican Bar

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Doctors are fighting to save the life of Paraguay striker Salvador Cabanas, one of Latin America's most prolific goal scorers, who was shot in the head at a bar in Mexico City before dawn on Monday.

Cabanas, 29, who was expected to help spearhead the Paraguay attack at this year's World Cup, was possibly involved in a fight or had been the victim of a robbery, Mexico City's top prosecutor said.

"He was shot in the head...the first report is that the bullet entered the front of his head and did not exit," Miguel Angel Mancera told Mexican television.

Cabanas plays for Mexican club side America and was Paraguay's top scorer in the qualifying competition for the World Cup in South Africa with six goals.

Paraguay will meet Italy, Slovakia and New Zealand in Group F.

The shooting happened in the bathroom of a bar in an upscale neighbourhood in Mexico City, which is plagued by violent crime.

Mancera said authorities were questioning several employees from the bar about the shooting.

Cabanas was the overall leading scorer in the South American Libertadores Cup in 2007 with 10 goals and again the following year with eight, both while playing for America.

He has regularly been among the top scorers in the Mexican championship since moving to the country in 2003, firstly with Chiapas until 2006 and then with America, which is Mexico's richest and most powerful club.

He was in Paraguay's squad at the 2006 World Cup but did not get a game. Since then, injuries to Manchester City's Roque Santa Cruz have allowed him to get more of a look in
dst
Cabanas is reportedly in a stable condition. Who lucky has he been!??

That's after being shot in the head of course, obviously, all of us who were not shot yesterday are luckier than him...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Jan 26 2010, 09:15 PM) *
Who lucky has he been!??

Say what?
dst
Make that 'How'!
Zed.D
Lucky? depends on whether he makes full recovery. if he becomes disabled, it can hardly be said that he's been lucky - even after being shot in the head.
kurtsimonw
ITV are annoying. Today during the City-Stoke Cup game they kept going on and on and on about Wayne Bridge and how amazing he was playing. Apparently, according to ITV, he was the 'only' reason Capello was there. Capello is a smart guy, I'm sure he realises that Wayne Bridge is a poor footballer by the standards needed by England. He should be about 4th/5th choice left back, not even really in consideration for the WC. Then again, Capello is probably just another puppet of the FA and so Wayne Bridge and his publicity will go to SA.

Oh, and at this rate King Carlos will be booking a flight along with Fabregas, Casillas et al, magnificent stuff this season.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 13 2010, 09:13 PM) *
ITV are annoying. Today during the City-Stoke Cup game they kept going on and on and on about Wayne Bridge and how amazing he was playing. Apparently, according to ITV, he was the 'only' reason Capello was there. Capello is a smart guy, I'm sure he realises that Wayne Bridge is a poor footballer by the standards needed by England. He should be about 4th/5th choice left back, not even really in consideration for the WC. Then again, Capello is probably just another puppet of the FA and so Wayne Bridge and his publicity will go to SA.

Oh, and at this rate King Carlos will be booking a flight along with Fabregas, Casillas et al, magnificent stuff this season.

This entire post not only makes me want to puke, but is filled with so much subjective bias and dislike that I shall refrain from rising to its rather vacuous content.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Danny @ Feb 13 2010, 09:55 PM) *
This entire post not only makes me want to puke, but is filled with so much subjective bias and dislike that I shall refrain from rising to its rather vacuous content.

I'm sorry, I forgot I wasn't allowed an opinion or to dislike certain things, I'll remember that next time.

Got a problem with what I say? Take it up with a mod.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 13 2010, 10:01 PM) *
I'm sorry, I forgot I wasn't allowed an opinion or to dislike certain things, I'll remember that next time.

Got a problem with what I say? Take it up with a mod.

Oh, it was nothing personal Kurt, I just revoltingly disagreed with almost everything you said in that post.

Such as projecting your opinions as facts and implying because Fabio's smart he will agree with you.

And calling him King Carlos...been there, done that...ugh.

I do agree though that ITV are annoying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.