Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A 2020/2021 season
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
William405
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 10 2021, 01:22 AM) *
Both Diaz and Tonali have suffered contusions to the ankle and calf respectively.

Let's hope they recover for Cagliari ph34r.gif

This means we could be missing Leao, Saelemakers, Rebic and Diaz all in one go against Cagliari

Hopefully Pioli plays it safe in the Coppa. I'd personally rather see us bow out than risk someone important there

We just can't stop with the injuries.. dry.gif

There is the Coppa Italia, this Tuesday? Wow...who will we play?
Fillipo Simone
I think the fact that we were written off and that we play without fans in the stands is what actually helps us immensely.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 9 2021, 11:08 PM) *
But y'all don't convince me that much either. Sure "give him time" is the regular excuse.

It's the most common fallacy used by the football supporter to justify a player not delivering.

It has some merit - Hakan took well over two seasons to start impressing us, while at Rangers we've had a player only just realise his potential after literally five years.

But it's a balancing act of will this player deliver, or is he at the wrong club.

Unfortunately a lot of fans don't seem to want to delve into the reasons he's not delivering - and just go into the classic 'give him time' line.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 9 2021, 11:28 PM) *
I think the fact that we were written off and that we play without fans in the stands is what actually helps us immensely.

I don't disagree, but it's also the same for every other club right now.
X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Jan 9 2021, 11:26 PM) *
There is the Coppa Italia, this Tuesday? Wow...who will we play?

Torino. biggrin.gif
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 9 2021, 11:22 PM) *
Both Diaz and Tonali have suffered contusions to the ankle and calf respectively.

Let's hope they recover for Cagliari ph34r.gif

This means we could be missing Leao, Saelemakers, Rebic and Diaz all in one go against Cagliari

Pretty sure Saelemaekers along with Bennacer will recover for Cagliari. Rebic all depends on how fast he becomes Covid negative again, but I'm hopeful till Monday.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 9 2021, 11:31 PM) *
Pretty sure Saelemaekers along with Bennacer will recover for Cagliari. Rebic all depends on how fast he becomes Covid negative again, but I'm hopeful till Monday.

Didn't see anything re Saelemakers. Fingers crossed. Can't wait to have him back as well. He's not an amazing player but he's very important to this team. Samu works hard but he's just not as effective going forward.

Doubtful Rebic will test negative by next weekend.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 10 2021, 12:24 AM) *
Have we managed to put our best 11 on the pitch just once this season??

Our current standing is even more amazing when considering this big factor. Especially when we were written off by everyone at the start

+1
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 10 2021, 12:28 AM) *

I believe playing without fans helped us quite a bit in the post-COVID stretch of games. However, (1) the team has built confidence game after game, and (2) our fans are more likely to be supportive of our team now than a year ago. So I do not expect a drop in performance after fans are allowed back in the stadium.

Not convinced that been written off helped us much. It is not as if teams we played did not take us seriously.
han2503
Plus I think people put too much emphasis on the post-Covid restart. We had been gradually improving under Pioli since after the diabolical display against Atalanta. That's when Pioli switched to the 4-4-2 IIRC which then turned into the 4-2-3-1 we use today. I distinctly remember the first game against Juve in the Coppa, we played so well in that one and then got f'd over by a ref decision and lost Theo, Zlatan and someone else to suspension for the return
Forza Milan!
Leao - the YC hurt and was completely unjustified (have been reading comments on other forums, and only die-hard Inter fans will justify it). OTOH, I would rather he sit out Cagliari than Atalanta, so perhaps it is better this way. I think he can be a great player for us, but he still needs to adjust to the CF role (and he is not as effective on the wings, IMHO).

Tonali - disappointing so far, but let's not give up on him yet. I believe he has it in him. That said, if he fails to improve by the end of the season, I hope we will not exercise the option to buy him. Better drop money on an expensive one-year loan than spend the money.

Diaz - the consensus is that he has been one of the best players on the field, so it looks like I am in the minority. My problem is I see him struggle when under pressure, more than other players. As I see it, it all depends on how much RM asks for him. I think he can be a good rotation player for us, but not a starter.

Samu - he tries real hard, but just does not have it in him. He struggles even more than Diaz when under pressure, and he adds very little to the attack phase.
Forza Milan!
So, tomorrow there are (at most) 6 points to be gained by 4 of our top challengers. Let's hope that Sassuolo beat Rube, and Roma either ties or wins.

Then we have Cagliari. They can be a tough team to play and we still have many players missing, but we should be able to handle them.

The real test will be Atalanta. They have been doing very well in recent games. I think we can win it with our full team, but is will not be easy.

Meanwhile we have coppa and EL. I hope we use the primavera against Toro (maybe play Leao as well, since he is going to be sitting out the next game anyway). I really could care less about coppa right now.

EL I still care about. Unfortunately, the game with Red Star happens right before the Atalanta game. So we may want to rest some of our key players and take a chance in EL.
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 9 2021, 11:53 PM) *
Leao - the YC hurt and was completely unjustified (have been reading comments on other forums, and only die-hard Inter fans will justify it). OTOH, I would rather he sit out Cagliari than Atalanta, so perhaps it is better this way. I think he can be a great player for us, but he still needs to adjust to the CF role (and he is not as effective on the wings, IMHO).

Tonali - disappointing so far, but let's not give up on him yet. I believe he has it in him. That said, if he fails to improve by the end of the season, I hope we will not exercise the option to buy him. Better drop money on an expensive one-year loan than spend the money.

Diaz - the consensus is that he has been one of the best players on the field, so it looks like I am in the minority. My problem is I see him struggle when under pressure, more than other players. As I see it, it all depends on how much RM asks for him. I think he can be a good rotation player for us, but not a starter.

Samu - he tries real hard, but just does not have it in him. He struggles even more than Diaz when under pressure, and he adds very little to the attack phase.

Agree re Leao. I complain about him, but really, he's probably our most talented young player atm. His potential is sky high, it's just a matter of if he can properly apply himself to realise the potential we can all see

Tonali just needs time, I think he's in his head too much and tries too hard with the passing. He just needs to not let the fact that he's playing for Milan get to him and relax a bit. I think he'll come good in time.

Re Diaz, I think his only really big flaw is his decision making, he tends to over dribble rather than go for the pass. If he manages to cut that out he's golden. I'd take him off of Madrid in an instant. Also, one other important factor of his game is that he works his @ss off as well. He was a nightmare for the Toro midfield, him and Samu's work is the reason why they barely crossed the halfway line in that first half

As for Samu. I like him, but next summer our main focus should be on signing a RW to complete the trio behind the striker. And Samu should be sold along with some other players. He could still get us a decent penny. but he's just not at the level we need. How I wish we'd have rolled the dice on Chiesa last summer. He'd have been the perfect player for that position
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 10 2021, 12:48 AM) *
Plus I think people put too much emphasis on the post-Covid restart. We had been gradually improving under Pioli since after the diabolical display against Atalanta. That's when Pioli switched to the 4-4-2 IIRC which then turned into the 4-2-3-1 we use today. I distinctly remember the first game against Juve in the Coppa, we played so well in that one and then got f'd over by a ref decision and lost Theo, Zlatan and someone else to suspension for the return

I think the COVID break allowed Pioli to get the team more comfortable with the 4-2-3-1. The lack of fans in the post COVID games allowed the team to build confidence (our fans have been very hard on our players). But I believe we are past the phase where we benefit from lack of fans. The team is much stronger now (mentally speaking), the fans more likely to be positive.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 10 2021, 01:04 AM) *
How I wish we'd have rolled the dice on Chiesa last summer. He'd have been the perfect player for that position

I was on the fence. However, the way he played against us ... yup, we should have gone for him. He is young, so he is only going to get better.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 10 2021, 12:03 AM) *
EL I still care about. Unfortunately, the game with Red Star happens right before the Atalanta game. So we may want to rest some of our key players and take a chance in EL.

Actually, the EL games are in-between the derby in mid-February. Whereas the match with Atalanta is on 23 January.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 10 2021, 01:34 AM) *
Actually, the EL games are in-between the derby in mid-February. Whereas the match with Atalanta is on 23 January.

Thanks for the correction. Similar problem but further out.
Forza Milan!
NonEvoluto - "Voi ridete e scherzate, ma senza tecnologia questa gara sarebbe finita uno a uno per colpa di questo personaggio. Non avrebbe dato il rigore a nostro favore, lo avrebbe concesso al Toro nell'azione dell'infortunio di #Tonali. L'ammonizione a #Leao ? la chiusura di un cerchio..."

"You may joke about this, but without VAR tech this game would have ended 1-1 thanks to the referee. He would have not given the PK in our favor and would have given one to Toro when Tonali got injured. The YC to Leao just closes the circle"

Yup
han2503
YES!!

Roma equalise!!
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 10 2021, 01:03 AM) *
NonEvoluto - "Voi ridete e scherzate, ma senza tecnologia questa gara sarebbe finita uno a uno per colpa di questo personaggio. Non avrebbe dato il rigore a nostro favore, lo avrebbe concesso al Toro nell'azione dell'infortunio di #Tonali. L'ammonizione a #Leao ? la chiusura di un cerchio..."

"You may joke about this, but without VAR tech this game would have ended 1-1 thanks to the referee. He would have not given the PK in our favor and would have given one to Toro when Tonali got injured. The YC to Leao just closes the circle"

Yup

The ref was terrible yesterday, but what's new? They're all been terrible all season, and not just in our games
han2503
Roma-Inter finishes 2-2. Excellent result for us

Next week it's Lazio-Roma, Inter-Juve while we have Cagliari, so it could be a bonus round for us as long as we don't misstep against Cagliari. Hopefully we'll have Ibra and Bennacer both back. Rebic and Krunic will be on the 13th day since testing positive let's cross our fingers they might recover by then
X-Offender

WTF. Shameful from Gazzetta.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 10 2021, 02:30 PM) *
Roma-Inter finishes 2-2. Excellent result for us

Next week it's Lazio-Roma, Inter-Juve while we have Cagliari, so it could be a bonus round for us as long as we don't misstep against Cagliari. Hopefully we'll have Ibra and Bennacer both back. Rebic and Krunic will be on the 13th day since testing positive let's cross our fingers they might recover by then

Yeah, great result for us. Assuming another draw for Inter and a win for us, we'd go potentially +5.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 10 2021, 02:34 PM) *

I don't speak Italian but that appears to be a Roma-based sports paper claiming we won via VAR.

What's shameful about that? Or am I missing something?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 10 2021, 02:45 PM) *
I don't speak Italian but that appears to be a Roma-based sports paper claiming we won via VAR.

What's shameful about that? Or am I missing something?

Gazzetta dello Sport is the most important sports newspaper in Italy. It cannot pass the message that we won thanks to VAR. It's an absurd claim to make. Especially if you read the article inside, the way it phrased certain passages, like "VAR took away one penalty from Torino". Say what? It was a blatant foul of the Torino player, nothing was taken away.

If there was one team that was penalised last night from the officiating, it was us us with the absurd number of yellow cards.

Anyway, I just realised that Torino's president, Urbano Cairo, is the main shareholder, president and CEO of the group that owns Gazzetta dello Sport. So it all makes sense.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 10 2021, 02:36 PM) *
Yeah, great result for us. Assuming another draw for Inter and a win for us, we'd go potentially +5.

+9 on Juve as well in that scenario
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 10 2021, 03:34 PM) *

I hear Cairo owns them.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 10 2021, 05:38 PM) *
I hear Cairo owns them.

Yep, as I mentioned above.
X-Offender
In all fairness, though, we have received A LOT of penalties in our favour this season. Just look at the stats:

Milan 11 (8 realizzati)
Juventus 5 (4 realizzati)
Roma 5 (5 realizzati)
Crotone 4 (4 realizzati)
Inter 4 (3 realizzati)
Lazio 4 (3 realizzati)
Sassuolo 4 (4 realizzati)
Fiorentina 3 (3 realizzati)
Sampdoria 3 (2 realizzati)
Torino 3 (3 realizzati)
Verona 3 (3 realizzati)
Atalanta 2 (2 realizzati)
Benevento 3 (1 realizzato)
Cagliari 2 (2 realizzati)
Spezia 2 (2 realizzati)
Bologna 1 (0 realizzati)
Genoa 1 (1 realizzato)
Napoli 1 (1 realizzato)
Parma 1 (1 realizzato)
Udinese 1 (1 realizzato)

Realizzati meaning scored. Now, I'm not saying they were all gifted. Most were legitimate. But it is rather peculiar how much we've had compared to the rest.
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 10 2021, 07:58 PM) *
In all fairness, though, we have received A LOT of penalties in our favour this season. Just look at the stats:

Realizzati meaning scored. Now, I'm not saying they were all gifted. Most were legitimate. But it is rather peculiar how much we've had compared to the rest.

We play attacking football rest dont innocent.gif
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Jan 10 2021, 08:29 PM) *
We play attacking football rest dont innocent.gif

Indeed. Almost all of them (arguably, all) were justified. And, if anything, refs have been against us. Look at the last game.
Forza Milan!
Good result with Roma-Milan. Now ... forza Sassuolo !!!
Forza Milan!
The YC to Bentancur looked more like a RC to me, but ...
Forza Milan!
... and Djabala deserves an academy awards nomination
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 10 2021, 06:58 PM) *

All of the penaltieswe were given were legit. The only soft one was the one against Roma, which was mostly given to cancel the ridiculous one given to Roma. Tuttosport, actually had a rundown of all the calls and basically called them all right, even the one against Roma. That's Tuttosport, the Juve paper

Plus I saw some stat recently that we have one of the highest number of touches in the penalty area in all the league, thus making the number of pens received understandable. As the more touches you have in the box, the more likely a tackle is made inside the box
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 10 2021, 09:24 PM) *
The YC to Bentancur looked more like a RC to me, but ...

Shouldn't have been playing the first place as he deserved a 2nd yellow against us
Forza Milan!
... and now a RC against Sassuolo. Great !
William405
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 10 2021, 11:35 PM) *
... and now a RC against Sassuolo. Great !

It was a nasty tackle.
William405
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 10 2021, 11:28 PM) *
All of the penaltieswe were given were legit. The only soft one was the one against Roma, which was mostly given to cancel the ridiculous one given to Roma. Tuttosport, actually had a rundown of all the calls and basically called them all right, even the one against Roma. That's Tuttosport, the Juve paper

Plus I saw some stat recently that we have one of the highest number of touches in the penalty area in all the league, thus making the number of pens received understandable. As the more touches you have in the box, the more likely a tackle is made inside the box

Agreed.
William405
Sassuolo equalize. This team is really good.
han2503
QUOTE (William405 @ Jan 10 2021, 10:09 PM) *
Sassuolo equalize. This team is really good.

Aaand they lose.

Juve... Always with the help
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 11 2021, 12:06 AM) *
Aaand they lose.

Juve... Always with the help

Disappointing. However, next week it is 3 points between Inter and Juve. Another tied game would be great.
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 10 2021, 11:24 PM) *
Disappointing. However, next week it is 3 points between Inter and Juve. Another tied game would be great.

Most importantly is that we win.

We have Atalanta right after, so this would give us a cushion if we drop points there
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 11 2021, 02:21 PM) *
Most importantly is that we win.

We have Atalanta right after, so this would give us a cushion if we drop points there

Indeed.
X-Offender
Brahim and Tonali recovered for the Coppa match.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 11 2021, 04:15 PM) *
Brahim and Tonali recovered for the Coppa match.

I don't think we'll see heavy rotation. Cagliari is on Monday so the players will have time to recover.

Don't expect Ibra to start and he shouldn't. Save him for the league
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 11 2021, 05:19 PM) *
I don't think we'll see heavy rotation. Cagliari is on Monday so the players will have time to recover.

Don't expect Ibra to start and he shouldn't. Save him for the league

Heavy rotation? We're already playing with our subs. biggrin.gif
Fillipo Simone
If only we could forfeit this stupid game. I just hope we won't take any special risks and play all our subs. Colombo and Maldini starting I hope.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 11 2021, 10:26 PM) *
If only we could forfeit this stupid game. I just hope we won't take any special risks and play all our subs. Colombo and Maldini starting I hope.

Yup. Best thing to do is play the Primavera. Great opportunity for them ...
Forza Milan!
Probable lineup vs. Torino according to Sky:

Tatarusanu; Kalulu, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Dalot; Tonali, Calabria; Castillejo, Brahim, Hauge; Leao
@milaneye

This is in line with what I expected. BTW, Maldini is out because of a suspension (form his primavera days).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.