Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A 2020/2021 season
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:05 PM) *
And I personally think that fans going in favour of UEFA just doesn't make any sense either.

UEFA and FIFA are probably 2 of the most corrupt "legit" organisations in the world. They've held the monopoly over football for too long imo

Football has to be a monopoly or it doesn't work. There is no prestige. You think football would be better if there were 2 or 3 World Cups every year held by different organisations?
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 19 2021, 08:26 PM) *
If you think it's easier for Leicester to compete with a bunch of billionaire state owned teams, that Atalanta competing with a few semi-rich clubs, you're living on a different planet.

Leicester are the reason this league exists. Because the money clubs don't like the idea that teams who buy and play smart can beat them when they're throwing money at everything.

The ONLY people that support these league are armchair customers. If you support this, you are not a football fan. You are a customer.

x-off made the point of comparing the 2 teams in terms of CL. I think Atalanta are on a completely other level to Leicester on this end while being far more disadvantaged. They failed to make the final last season by a minute. They don't even earn a measly fraction of what Leicester do just from the EPL alone.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 19 2021, 08:27 PM) *
Football has to be a monopoly or it doesn't work. There is no prestige. You think football would be better if there were 2 or 3 World Cups every year held by different organisations?

True.

If this goes through, which is looking more a more likely. What's to say that the super league won't evolve into that monopoly? And simply be a replacement for UEFA. You think UEFA are losing their sh!t over nothing? This is huge trouble for them and their survival and they know it. I personally say good riddance.

Prestige and glory are buil over time. The European cup was devised decades ago and turned into what it has become today. There's nothing set in stone saying the super league won't evolve over time either.

There are already reports of teams like Roma, Bayern and PSG being the other 3 clubs. There will be 5 invited clubs for now. This could grow over time. Making the CL obsolete and clubs will be the better for it imo
X-Offender
Han, no offence but you are being very myopic about this whole argument. You are simply viewing this as a UEFA/FIFA-Super League war. You're focusing only on the business side, who's more corrupt. You're not looking at the bigger picture, i.e. the game of football.

You think greed is only one sided? These clubs are just as greedy and scrupulous as the governing bodies they're trying to fight against. But they're not fighting for what is right and wrong, they're simply fighting for the big bucks. They want to make more money, turn football into a bigger business and get richer and richer. And in doing so, they're killing the founding concept of competition that drives this sport.

Clubs have to fight and earn their right to participate into a major international league. If you're reserving this right by default only to a handful, what's the point anymore? What will Roma, Lazio, Atalanta, Napoli etc. fight for? Participate into a Champions League without any "champions" in it? Such a competition is not even conceivable because nobody will watch it and nobody will care to play in it anymore. It disrupts a system that might be governed by a corrupt entity, but that is founded on meritocracy.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 19 2021, 10:51 PM) *
Han, no offence but you are being very myopic about this whole argument. You are simply viewing this as a UEFA/FIFA-Super League war. You're focusing only on the business side, who's more corrupt. You're not looking at the bigger picture, i.e. the game of football.

You think greed is only one sided? These clubs are just as greedy and scrupulous as the governing bodies they're trying to fight against. But they're not fighting for what is right and wrong, they're simply fighting for the big bucks. They want to make more money, turn football into a bigger business and get richer and richer. And in doing so, they're killing the founding concept of competition that drives this sport.

Clubs have to fight and earn their right to participate into a major international league. If you're reserving this right by default only to a handful, what's the point anymore? What will Roma, Lazio, Atalanta, Napoli etc. fight for? Participate into a Champions League without any "champions" in it? Such a competition is not even conceivable because nobody will watch it and nobody will care to play in it anymore. It disrupts a system that might be governed by a corrupt entity, but that is founded on meritocracy.

I agree. I don't understand your view Han. But, honestly even if what you are painting out the UEFA/FIFA to be...this Superleauge idea is no better.

BTW, why the hate on UEFA and Fifa? Surely, any organizing committee will have a lot of hate...nothing special. And, I'm not saying they're perfect but they've done some good things as well.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 19 2021, 08:51 PM) *

But you're viewing this through a lens of nostalgia for something that has long been lost.

Sorry, but football IS a business. Milan has been left behind because we simply cannot compete with EPL and oil money. And FFP continues to tie our hands in this matter. And when FFP is not enforced fairly and the same on all the clubs, then you end up with this. UEFA have overstepped imo, they have gotten too greedy and not kept the clubs with the biggest fanbases, ergo the biggest commercial pull happy. You said it yourself. No one would want to watch the CL without these teams in it.

I'm not worried about this because the people behind it know what they're doing. All the clubs involved have ruthless owners. Most of which are Americans. The Glazers, Kroenke, and Elliot don't do anything half @ssed. Elliot held Argentina hostage FFS, you think they care about the soul of the game?

Gary Neville said something critical today, the Glazers don't put their name on anything, not unless they're going through with it. Plus Florentino Perez is the one who is pushing this through. These are not people who waffle when it comes down to crunch time imo. Plus the JP Morgan Chase factor is huge.

So whatever happens moving forward, I think tis is going to be a good thing, whether it happens or not. This will either give UEFA the massive kick in the teeth they need and they negotiate something better with the clubs or this things happens and the CL and EL will be abolished within a few years and this thing becoming the norm.

And btw. Where is the meritocracy in what PSG, City and Chelsea have done in the past few years? Or what about Bayern, Juve, Madrid Barca, etc? They have all basically been in this automatic inclusion format for years now because they purposely weaken their own leagues. Either by monopolising the TV money or buying out all the talent because they can.

QUOTE (William405 @ Apr 19 2021, 08:55 PM) *
I agree. I don't understand your view Han. But, honestly even if what you are painting out the UEFA/FIFA to be...this Superleauge idea is no better.

BTW, why the hate on UEFA and Fifa? Surely, any organizing committee will have a lot of hate...nothing special. And, I'm not saying they're perfect but they've done some good things as well.

Watch the vid I posted in the previous page.

There are literally labour camps set up in Qatar. People have died building stadiums there. All so they could organise a tournament in a country where it's practically impossible to play the competition during the summer. All so that the executives get huge pay-outs from the Qatari government.

People dying for FIFA Execs' greed vs. clubs wanting to get what they are owed...
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:37 PM) *
But you're viewing this through a lens of nostalgia for something that has long been lost.

Sorry, but football IS a business. Milan has been left behind because we simply cannot compete with EPL and oil money. And FFP continues to tie our hands in this matter. And when FFP is not enforced fairly and the same on all the clubs, then you end up with this. UEFA have overstepped imo, they have gotten too greedy and not kept the clubs with the biggest fanbases, ergo the biggest commercial pull happy. You said it yourself. No one would want to watch the CL without these teams in it.

I'm not worried about this because the people behind it know what they're doing. All the clubs involved have ruthless owners. Most of which are Americans. The Glazers, Kroenke, and Elliot don't do anything half @ssed. Elliot held Argentina hostage FFS, you think they care about the soul of the game?

Gary Neville said something critical today, the Glazers don't put their name on anything, not unless they're going through with it. Plus Florentino Perez is the one who is pushing this through. These are not people who waffle when it comes down to crunch time imo. Plus the JP Morgan Chase factor is huge.

So whatever happens moving forward, I think tis is going to be a good thing, whether it happens or not. This will either give UEFA the massive kick in the teeth they need and they negotiate something better with the clubs or this things happens and the CL and EL will be abolished within a few years and this thing becoming the norm.

Nobody said this is something half-assed. If they're going through with this then they know exactly what they're doing. But it's wrong. There's nothing nostalgic about competition. It's the foundation of sport. And this format goes against every principle that's made football the most beloved sport in the world. It's unsportsmanlike, to say the least.

QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:37 PM) *
And btw. Where is the meritocracy in what PSG, City and Chelsea have done in the past few years? Or what about Bayern, Juve, Madrid Barca, etc? They have all basically been in this automatic inclusion format for years now because they purposely weaken their own leagues. Either by monopolising the TV money or buying out all the talent because they can.

Bayern, Juve, Madrid, Barca etc. built their names and who they are throughout the decades. They aren't called big clubs for no reason. But because you have big clubs doesn't mean smaller clubs shouldn't have a right to compete. You simply cannot create a monopolistic league of elitists and sh*t over the rest. It's disgraceful beyond comprehension.

And what happened with Chelsea, PSG and City isn't much different from what happened with Milan and Berlusconi in the 80s. Only difference is that these clubs along with the rest have inflated prices to ridiculous extents, and I will always remain by my belief that that is what has ultimately led to where we stand right now.
Fillipo Simone
Also, it's not like Citeh and Abramovich are monks. Come on... UEFA corruptness or Abramovich corruptness.. honestly, I don't see much of a difference.

I think this is especially bad for Milan. We'll get a lot of hate now.
han2503
And btw, I may be wrong in all of this but atm, I just ron't see it as the end of football, catastrophic event that you do.

We'll see how this unfolds but personally I just think that atm it's mainly a mine is bigger than yours showdown with UEFA. We'll see who caves first. I just personally think the clubs have more leverage here
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Apr 19 2021, 10:05 PM) *
Also, it's not like Citeh and Abramovich are monks. Come on... UEFA corruptness or Abramovich corruptness.. honestly, I don't see much of a difference.

I think this is especially bad for Milan. We'll get a lot of hate now.

Bug clubs always get hate. From Milan's perspective, this is an if you can't beat them, join them situation
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2021, 08:09 PM) *
A great vid on FIFA as an organisation for anyone who hasn't seen it. UEFA are basically the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

I've seen that video many times. I love John Oliver.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:50 PM) *
If this goes through, which is looking more a more likely. What's to say that the super league won't evolve into that monopoly? And simply be a replacement for UEFA. You think UEFA are losing their sh!t over nothing? This is huge trouble for them and their survival and they know it. I personally say good riddance.

Prestige and glory are buil over time. The European cup was devised decades ago and turned into what it has become today. There's nothing set in stone saying the super league won't evolve over time either.

There are already reports of teams like Roma, Bayern and PSG being the other 3 clubs. There will be 5 invited clubs for now. This could grow over time. Making the CL obsolete and clubs will be the better for it imo

It wont grow, though? That's the entire point, for a handful of clubs to get their guaranteed income every year. They don't want to share money with others they deem "lesser", so it won't grow.

20 clubs will be better for it. 20 out of thousands. That's not good for sport.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 19 2021, 11:07 PM) *
And btw, I may be wrong in all of this but atm, I just ron't see it as the end of football, catastrophic event that you do.

We'll see how this unfolds but personally I just think that atm it's mainly a mine is bigger than yours showdown with UEFA. We'll see who caves first. I just personally think the clubs have more leverage here

It will be good for football if these franchises and their customers no longer compete in football leagues, yes.

Piss off and leave us football clubs and fans to the football.
Danny
Don't agree with a lot of what Han says these days, but strangely we appear harmonious on this.

It's less that I support the ESL, more that I like seeing someone new 'up and at them' for once - and the crying foul over this seems frankly as bad as the conduct of UEFA and FIFA themselves.

As for corruption, I didn't say this was about corruption, I said as an aside that UEFA and FIFA also happen to be corrupt.

PS this is as much a protest against the new CL format is as it is about money.

Honestly find this board laughable at times - for over a decade you've all whined about UEFA and the elitist CL and the conduct of these bodies - and now someone threatens it you're whining about that instead.

Comical.
kurtsimonw
And we had a great story like Leicester winning the Premier League. An underdog who overcame the elite. Now? You won't. It's only the elite.

What is laughable is complaining about elitism and then as soon as they fail to win something, they literally remove the competition, and hailing that as a good thing.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 19 2021, 10:27 PM) *
I've seen that video many times. I love John Oliver.

Love him. I can't count the amount of John Oliver rabbit holes I've gone down over the years. And moat of the stuff he does is about American capitilasm at it's worst and doesn't really effect me in any way. But he's so good that I can't help but watch vid after vid

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 19 2021, 11:01 PM) *
It wont grow, though? That's the entire point, for a handful of clubs to get their guaranteed income every year. They don't want to share money with others they deem "lesser", so it won't grow.

20 clubs will be better for it. 20 out of thousands. That's not good for sport.

But right now all of this is conjecture. The big heads will do what they think is best in terms of consumerism, and if that means expansion, then that is what will happen.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 19 2021, 11:04 PM) *
It will be good for football if these franchises and their customers no longer compete in football leagues, yes.

Piss off and leave us football clubs and fans to the football.

Disagree there. Where would these domestic leagues stand without these bigger clubs? The entire concept of the EPL is basically null and void without them in it

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 20 2021, 01:08 AM) *
And we had a great story like Leicester winning the Premier League. An underdog who overcame the elite. Now? You won't. It's only the elite.

What is laughable is complaining about elitism and then as soon as they fail to win something, they literally remove the competition, and hailing that as a good thing.

But why would this stop another Leicester from happening? The domestic league will still be there and so will European football under the UEFA umbrella

And this is hardly about elitism. This is all about the money. Perez just basically said they asked Arsenal and Spurs to join because they needed the extra bodies laugh.gif
Danny
*edit*
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 20 2021, 12:32 AM) *
Honestly find this board laughable at times - for over a decade you've all whined about UEFA and the elitist CL and the conduct of these bodies - and now someone threatens it you're whining about that instead.

Comical.

As I said in a previous post:

Furthermore, just because you're opposing UEFA and FIFA doesn't automatically put in you in the right either.

Besides, what exactly have we whined about for over a decade? Personally speaking I've only complained about the FFP, because I feel it only favours some clubs. But I've also commented many times that the true wrongdoers in this whole mess are the rich clubs themselves, because they've driven a bubble of prices to insane and unsportsmanlike levels that only applies a handful of them.

And now, lo and behold, these clubs cannot withhold their very own systems anymore. They need more money, so they want to jeopardise a fair system that's been working for decades only to fatten their own pockets.
X-Offender
Florentino Perez: We've made the European Super League to save football

Dear lord, listen to this tw@t. All he talks about is money, money, money...

"There are a lot of games of poor quality. Barcelona-Manchester United is more entertaining than Manchester United against a more modest team.

Sorry big guy, but didn't your Real Madrid lose twice to Shakhtar Donetsk this year? Oh, right, you only care about prestige, what makes more money. F*ck the competition. Who cares about the modest and small clubs, they don't make enough money.

It's abhorrent. Save football? More like put the nail on the coffin.
X-Offender
The biggest clubs in England, Italy and Spain had to find a solution to the really terrible situation they were in," Perez said. "The European Club Association says they've lost five billion euros. At Real Madrid we had a budget of 800 million euros and we finished with 700m. This year instead of 900m, let's see if we get 600m. In two seasons Real Madrid have lost 400m.

Then don't pay 100 million for a deadbeat like Hazard you tw@t! Don't pay him 20 fucking million pounds every year! Don't pay 15 million pounds to Sergio Ramos, and all your other players.

Instead, propose a bill that puts a cap on prices and salaries. Normalise the corrupt price system you and your friends drove in the first place, and you'll eventually see your revenues will be more than sufficient to cover whatever you're spending.
kurtsimonw
It's laughable that these 12 think anyone but themselves are to blame for how football is. They drives transfer fees and wages up too massive levels, nobody else is responsible for this.

Bielsa said it right "The logic in the world at the moment, and football is not outside of this, is that the rich get rich at the expense of the poor... And then they demand more privileges."

And what do they think is going to happen in the ESL, exactly? That everyone is not going to try and outspend each other, driving transfer fees and salaries up higher?

Anyone that mentions UEFA or FIFA is missing the point. Just being against someone, regardless of what the opposition propose to do, is stupidity. If this is so good for football and fans, why are fan owned clubs like Bayern and Dortmund not jumping at the chance?

As for the product in itself, I don't know if anyone has watched top level football in the past 5 years, but it's intensely boring. Every time Man U play Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc it's 0-0. It's overly defensive football.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 20 2021, 01:37 PM) *
It's laughable that these 12 think anyone but themselves are to blame for how football is. They drives transfer fees and wages up too massive levels, nobody else is responsible for this.

Bielsa said it right "The logic in the world at the moment, and football is not outside of this, is that the rich get rich at the expense of the poor... And then they demand more privileges."

And what do they think is going to happen in the ESL, exactly? That everyone is not going to try and outspend each other, driving transfer fees and salaries up higher?

Anyone that mentions UEFA or FIFA is missing the point. Just being against someone, regardless of what the opposition propose to do, is stupidity. If this is so good for football and fans, why are fan owned clubs like Bayern and Dortmund not jumping at the chance?

As for the product in itself, I don't know if anyone has watched top level football in the past 5 years, but it's intensely boring. Every time Man U play Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc it's 0-0. It's overly defensive football.

+1
kurtsimonw
Apparently 1 or 2 of the English clubs are reconsidering their position in the ESL after the backlash.

Perez said that everything has been signed so they can't back out. You mean, like how everything has been signed with the leagues, and your backing out?
kurtsimonw
Chelsea preparing to withdraw.

Wonderful.

Never let the owners and fans who supported this forget which side they were on. Enemies of football.
kurtsimonw
Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona, Man U and Atleti all out.

All of these clubs should still be relegated and get a huge European ban as punishment, Milan included. But at least the devil is dead.
kurtsimonw
Apparently Woodward and Agnelli have resigned.

Danny and han's favourite people no longer in football.
han2503
This is the worst outcome that could have happened imo

I had an inkling that this could just be a major chess game between the clubs and UEFA so that the clubs could finally get a more fair deal out of UEFA. But to do THIS?! Just an embarrassing turn of events imo. At least show some balls and take this down to the wire FFS. UEFA would have caved eventually. Didn't know that it would turn out to be a friendly game of checkers instead rolleyes.gif

And it figures that it is the EPL clubs who backed out first, most especially the ones who are bankrolled by oil money. They don't need the money like the other clubs do, they already exist within a hyper greedy entity such as the EPL, which is a breakaway league in and of itself btw

I just love the audacity and drama from people like Neville who work for Sky Sports. The sheer lack of self awareness is just laughable
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 20 2021, 08:07 PM) *
Apparently Woodward and Agnelli have resigned.

Danny and han's favourite people no longer in football.

Never liked either. But honestly, they should all be ashamed for half @ssing this so badly
William405
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 20 2021, 09:39 PM) *
Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona, Man U and Atleti all out.

All of these clubs should still be relegated and get a huge European ban as punishment, Milan included. But at least the devil is dead.

Milan included? Never! devil.gif
William405
This is so fucking stupid.
X-Offender
I hope we announce our resignation as soon as possible and save us further embarrassment.
han2503
Only Man City are out atm
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 20 2021, 11:36 PM) *
This is the worst outcome that could have happened imo

I had an inkling that this could just be a major chess game between the clubs and UEFA so that the clubs could finally get a more fair deal out of UEFA. But to do THIS?! Just an embarrassing turn of events imo. At least show some balls and take this down to the wire FFS. UEFA would have caved eventually. Didn't know that it would turn out to be a friendly game of checkers instead rolleyes.gif

And it figures that it is the EPL clubs who backed out first, most especially the ones who are bankrolled by oil money. They don't need the money like the other clubs do, they already exist within a hyper greedy entity such as the EPL, which is a breakaway league in and of itself btw

I just love the audacity and drama from people like Neville who work for Sky Sports. The sheer lack of self awareness is just laughable

FIFA is a huge organization, which had laid the foundations for which this game is played and governed. They had the weight of fans and the masses in their sail to fight this one.

The idea of a Super League to get something out of UEFA was a nice thought. Even when you consider the founding clubs are the clubs the carry The global brand. Yet it makes no sense if Milan plays and the chance of relegation is zero. Kills the game to be frank.

Think Milan should pull out of this ASAP, as it's clear these clubs have not thought this through. They should have gotten a bigger pool of clubs onboard before announcing. Maybe a Super League with midtable teams and low table teams. A competition of at least 48 teams with two or four groups, that could have been a different story... But all in all FIFA is a huge organization and it's by no means a walk in the park to challenge with just a handful of elite clubs.

P. S. Super League sounded more like a Mikey mouse league the way it was drafted than anything else.
X-Offender
UEFA president Ceferin: ?I am delighted to welcome Manchester City back to the European football family. They have shown great intelligence. City are a real asset for the game and I am delighted to be working with them for a better future?.

LMAO, didn't you just ban them like a year ago? laugh.gif
X-Offender
OFFICIAL: all English teams are out.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 21 2021, 12:06 AM) *

Yeah, the guy is an idiot too if you aks me about it.
William405
https://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=w...p;menu=news-all

I agree so much with this!!!

X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Apr 20 2021, 11:21 PM) *

+1
X-Offender
Rumors we may be the next to leave.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 20 2021, 09:36 PM) *

There's nothing wrong with breakaway leagues, you're missing the entire point.

The Premier League was created and broke away for financial reasons. The league structure and the competitive elements of the sport remained. No team, as far as I know, has ever been denied entry to the Premier League open earning promotion. The same as the European Cup becoming the Champions League. For all intents and purposes it was a rebranding.

The Premier League can not be held responsible for other clubs mismanaging their finances. Let's not forget, it was Italian clubs in the 80s/90s and Spanish clubs more recently that drove up prices to insane levels. Making English clubs out to be the bad guys is just ridiculous.

To suggest the ESL, which would keep the exact same teams in all the time, is the same as the Premier League is madness.

Nobody is saying that UEFA or FIFA are saints. We're saying we'd rather have a competition governed by them than 12 clubs running their own league. Who cares if they say they'll invite others? As if a Madrid owned league, with a Madrid employed ref is going to allow someone they deem "lesser" to beat Madrid. The corruption would make current football look saintly.
kurtsimonw
Football does need changes, 100%. Hopefully the fans, players, pundits and everyone involved can make that happen now that we realise we have a voice that can make things happen.
X-Offender
Now Cadena Ser stating the Spanish and Italian clubs have decided to continue...

If this is true, it would be the biggest embarrassment in our entire history.
kurtsimonw
RIP Spanish and Italian football.

A Super League without English teams does not work. The Premier League brings in so much money, not because of any kind of quality - simply because it's English speaking and people find it easier to connect.

You can add more teams, but who? Roma, Lazio, Seville, Valencia? The ESL are a comedy act if they think they can generate huge revenues and TV deals with clubs like that.
X-Offender
OFFICIAL: Super League suspended.

Well thank f*ck for that. Now back to earning our place in Europe.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 20 2021, 10:06 PM) *

And let them back in in a jiffy.

This is why I wanted the clubs to hold their ground. I never said I liked the concept of the 12 teams playing each other constantly in a semi closed competition. And I always mentioned that it probably had more to do with fighting UEFA. But now this has backfired big time. UEFA now hold even more power imo.

The clubs should have at least held out for some form of reform

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 21 2021, 12:02 AM) *
There's nothing wrong with breakaway leagues, you're missing the entire point.

The Premier League was created and broke away for financial reasons. The league structure and the competitive elements of the sport remained. No team, as far as I know, has ever been denied entry to the Premier League open earning promotion. The same as the European Cup becoming the Champions League. For all intents and purposes it was a rebranding.

The Premier League can not be held responsible for other clubs mismanaging their finances. Let's not forget, it was Italian clubs in the 80s/90s and Spanish clubs more recently that drove up prices to insane levels. Making English clubs out to be the bad guys is just ridiculous.

To suggest the ESL, which would keep the exact same teams in all the time, is the same as the Premier League is madness.

Nobody is saying that UEFA or FIFA are saints. We're saying we'd rather have a competition governed by them than 12 clubs running their own league. Who cares if they say they'll invite others? As if a Madrid owned league, with a Madrid employed ref is going to allow someone they deem "lesser" to beat Madrid. The corruption would make current football look saintly.

The EPL, namely Chelsea are the ones who first started the insane inflation of the transfer market. Mam City and PSG have just took thing to an unreachable level for everyone else now. Italian and Spanish clubs might have spent lavishly in the past, but nothing like these new state owned/oil backed clubs of today. Not even when you take inflation into account. It's nothing you can even compare

And you can't sya the clubs in Italy and Spain are mismanaged. The EPL clubs have a safety net that the ones in La Liga and Seria A simply do not. And you're right, it's for the simple reason that the EPL as a brand ia far more marketable. The language barrier being one of the main reasons for this. Which is something out of the control of the clubs.

And again, I never said I liked the general concept, I was al for it because it ment the clubs finally doing something about the corrupt and unjust system monopolized by UEFA

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 21 2021, 12:52 AM) *
OFFICIAL: Super League suspended.

Well thank f*ck for that. Now back to earning our place in Europe.

What a joke! This is far from a good thing imo
han2503
Milan ultras claim Super League criticism 'hypocritical'

Milan ultras group Curva Sud released a statement that did not specifically condemn the Super League plan, but rather claimed the outrage is ?hypocritical.?

While fans at Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and others are all protesting angrily in the hours since the project was announced, Italian supporters have been relatively quiet.

Juventus fans hung up one banner outside the stadium complaining their history was being ?bartered and commercialised,? pointedly including an image of the old logo.

Milan supporters group Curva Sud released a different kind of statement that hit out at the world of football in general.

?Honestly, it makes us laugh to see all those people in the control room of football suddenly claim we fans are first and foremost.

?The Super League is just the latest in a long line of innumerable manoeuvres over decades that has made football into a business.

?The birth of this new competition would certainly be another shove to the football of old, which is by now a distant memory, and will inevitably obscure the tradition of the various national leagues, robbing football of the undeniable principle of sporting meritocracy.

?But the thing that most leaves us indignant is the hypocrisy of all those who contributed to making this sport nothing but a business, those who today stand up in name of the fans, but only because they saw their remunerative and seemingly untouchable project fall apart.

?Football did belong to the people until the 1990s, when the Champions League was born, destroying the old European Cup. From that moment, an unbreachable chasm has been created between the big and small clubs.

?Football did belong to the people even when nobody lifted a finger to stop the increase of ticket prices that was imposed by some Presidents.

?Football did belong to the people even when nobody stepped in to stop the rise of the super agents, who took player salaries to ever more astronomical figures, which could only be sustained with TV rights, the same TV companies that imposed increasingly chaotic fixture lists, with games on improbable days and kick-off times.

?Football did belong to the people even when rules were imposed to stop any rapport between the players and the fans.

?Football did belong to the people even when Supercoppa Finals were played on other continents or the dates of some games were changed a few days before kick-off, damaging those fans who had booked trains or planes to get to the stadium.

?Football did belong to the people even when some clubs were allowed to circumvent Financial Fair Play, while others with less influential Presidents were penalised.

?Football did belong to the people even when the World Cup was forced to Qatar in 2022, despite moving the entire calendar and disregarding human rights violations.

?We could list numerous other examples to show the absolute hypocrisy of the words we?re hearing from the football chiefs over the last 48 hours.

?The Super League is just the latest disgusting step, but those who took football to this point are no less grotesque, so save us these ludicrous performances of rhetoric and morality.

?Now that the money is running out, feel free to fight it out between yourselves, but don?t you dare name the fans. PIGS!?

Don't usually agree with the Curva guys but on thia I 100% agree with them
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 21 2021, 06:35 AM) *
The EPL, namely Chelsea are the ones who first started the insane inflation of the transfer market. Mam City and PSG have just took thing to an unreachable level for everyone else now. Italian and Spanish clubs might have spent lavishly in the past, but nothing like these new state owned/oil backed clubs of today. Not even when you take inflation into account. It's nothing you can even compare

What is this, some kind of xenophobia? You might want to look a little closer to home. The most expensive transfers ever, and the transfer progression. Where are Chelsea and Man City? Where are the long lists of English clubs?

han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 21 2021, 10:25 AM) *
What is this, some kind of xenophobia? You might want to look a little closer to home. The most expensive transfers ever, and the transfer progression. Where are Chelsea and Man City? Where are the long lists of English clubs?

No it's a phobia the the EPL basically controlling football. Now there are rumours the UEFA made a deal with the EPL clubs involved, which makes this even worse for me as a supporter of an Italian team handcuffed by the limitations of the league it plays in.

That list doesn't say much at all. Give me the expenditure of all the EPL clubs + PSG per year over the last 8 - 10 years. Probably no where near what other teams spend. My gripe has never been woth the English teams only btw, and I'm sorry for coming off that way, but mid-table EPL clubs are more advantaged than their Serie A and La liga counter parts who consistently make CL. Because that is the financial imbalance that exists because of the money in the EPL then on top of that add the Russian/Arab owners who inject cash into their clubs by usurping FFP rules and it creates the kind of issues we see today where clubs who do not have these advantages simply cannot compete anymore. Especially with FFP putting them in a chokehold.

Aside from the English clubs Barca and Real are also accountable no doubt. Especially given the fact that they monopolise the TV money in Spain.

And don't get me started on PSG who tried to act holier than thou during this entire saga when they are the biggest culprit for where football is today
X-Offender
Han, I don't get you. You comment how the spending spree of these rich clubs has led to where we are today (and I wholeheartedly agree on that), but then you ultimately blame UEFA.

I was all for it because it meant the clubs finally doing something about the corrupt and unjust system monopolized by UEFA

That's contradictory in itself. How has UEFA monopolised the system? I'm against UEFA's policies like the FFP or the new Champions League reform, but UEFA is just a governing body. European football is ultimately controlled by the rich clubs. They provide the major stream of revenue and we saw with the Super League how their departure would leave UEFA practically naked.

Perhaps I'm missing something so please explain.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 21 2021, 10:25 AM) *

Chelsea transfers this summer:

40M Ziyech
48M Werner
45M Chilwell
72M Havertz
22M Mendy

Total spending = 227M pounds. On just 5 players. Wut??

In 2019 Man City spent more than 120M pounds for Rodri and Cancelo. ManU spent 87M euros on Maguire. F*cking Maguire, man! I mean, that's just insane.

The Premier League spent $1.2 billion in the summer of 2020, whereas Serie A spent $544 million and La Liga $486 million. $1.2 billion!!! In the middle of a crisis for crying out loud! And then they whine how they don't have enough revenues to cover expenses.

The spending spree of English clubs is absolutely ridiculous. Them along with Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG are the main culprits for this new crooked system football operates in nowadays.
William405
Let's get back on topic. We play Sassuolo tonight in a crucial game. Ibra, Theo and Bennacer are out. Hoping for the three points today, but it will be tough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.