Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A 2020/2021 season
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 6 2020, 11:08 PM) *
How did we play in the first half?

Good, barely let Samp touch the ball aside from a flurry of corners for them a few minutes from the start. I think they had something like 68 passes compared to our over 600 passes during the first half. Still, I think it was an iffy decision from Pioli to play Hakan on the wing and Brahim in the centre, would have preferred to keep Hakan in the middle as he's the one that connects it all. We lacked a bit of incisiveness in the first half, but could have easily been 3 up as well considering their goal line clearance from Rebic's chance and Tonali hitting the post.

Their plan was obviously to sit and defend. The penalty ruined their plans and they were forced to really push for the goal in the 2nd half.
William405
On that note, Sampdoria didn't really threaten much, except for a few situations. We largely controlled the game. Of-course, I would have liked to see a bit more goals, but we are really decimated when it comes to injuries. Kessie was a beast in that midfield as usual.
William405
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 7 2020, 12:50 AM) *
Yeah, I was so wary of Ranieri, he tends to be a thorn in these kind of games.

But once again, we come through, while basically missing a key element from each area of the pitch. I really hope we get some players back for the next game because we're suffering unnecessarily. The lack of a target man hurts our forward play, and that doesn't even have to be Ibra, just someone who can hold up play, and Rebic, for all the great work he puts in, is not someone who can play as a lone striker

Just as you did, I totally had a bad feeling about this throughout the day, but this team man. Even when on the backfoot, there just something about how they keep their composure and just continue to fight.

The corner issue is just starting to become a terrible nuisance at this point, the majority of the goals we conceded so far this season have come from set-pieces, which is so annoying as this is something that can easily be worked on in training

Totally agreed, Rebic is obviously trying his best there and he's doing okay considering all. But, we need Ibra or Leao back.
William405
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 7 2020, 01:14 AM) *
Good, barely let Samp touch the ball aside from a flurry of corners for them a few minutes from the start. I think they had something like 68 passes compared to our over 600 passes during the first half. Still, I think it was an iffy decision from Pioli to play Hakan on the wing and Brahim in the centre, would have preferred to keep Hakan in the middle as he's the one that connects it all. We lacked a bit of incisiveness in the first half, but could have easily been 3 up as well considering their goal line clearance from Rebic's chance and Tonali hitting the post.

Their plan was obviously to sit and defend. The penalty ruined their plans and they were forced to really push for the goal in the 2nd half.

Hmm, are you sure Hakan was on the wings? Sometimes our attacking trio is interchanging positions which I think is good to surprise opponents. Once again, Hauge gave a neat pass to Rebic which then gave it through to Samu! Hauge wasn't as exceptional today but still useful!
William405
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 7 2020, 01:03 AM) *
On that note, we really miss Bennacer in the midfield. Tonali is growing into his own, but Bennacer is on another level, especially as a tandem with Kessie

Yes, with Bennacer with a much much more compact midfield! We really need him back, he also passes the ball quickly to the players in charge of the attacking phase which speeds up our play well sometimes. I'm not saying Tonali was in anyway bad. He played okay, did some basic mistakes, but he generally fights well for the ball and can deliver sometimes killer passes. Still needs to grow much.

Hypothetical question: Is a Kessie-Tonali-Bennacer a midfield option for the future? Or would they be too much of the same type of players?
han2503
QUOTE (William405 @ Dec 6 2020, 11:19 PM) *
On that note, Sampdoria didn't really threaten much, except for a few situations. We largely controlled the game. Of-course, I would have liked to see a bit more goals, but we are really decimated when it comes to injuries. Kessie was a beast in that midfield as usual.

Agreed, however, we allowed too many set-piece situations which we all know we're shaky on. We need to close down better before the opposition comes near our area. But agreed, from open play, I don't remember much of anything being created in terms of clear cut opportunities.

QUOTE (William405 @ Dec 6 2020, 11:22 PM) *
Hmm, are you sure Hakan was on the wings? Sometimes our attacking trio is interchanging positions which I think is good to surprise opponents. Once again, Hauge gave a neat pass to Rebic which then gave it through to Samu! Hauge wasn't as exceptional today but still useful!

Yeah, Hakan was on the wing in the first half, of course the players interchange when we're in attack, but when we were not in possession he was clearly out wide, which imo hinders his contributions, especially in transitions
X-Offender
Hakan usually plays on the left when Brahim starts.

Anyway, both Ibra and Bennacer will probably be available for the next match vs Parma at home, so I'm expecting an easy 3 points there. Let's keep this rolling!

I have an Inter fan who's breaking my balls right now, saying we'll crumble in the long run. But if we continue to keep this compactness and make a couple of decent signings in January, I think we can make it. For the first 4 spots, that is...
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 7 2020, 01:32 AM) *

Anyway, both Ibra and Bennacer will probably be available for the next match vs Parma at home, so I'm expecting an easy 3 points there. Let's keep this rolling!

I have an Inter fan who's breaking my balls right now, saying we'll crumble in the long run. But if we continue to keep this compactness and make a couple of decent signings in January, I think we can make it. For the first 4 spots, that is...

Hmm, for sure, we might pass through lows. I think this can happen with any team. But, I don't think we will "crumble" per say. We surely have what it takes for 4th place. Specially, if the January signings come through.
CrazyMilanFan
good tough 3 points... On other not we have broken our record of 30 games consective where we have scored.
han2503
QUOTE (William405 @ Dec 6 2020, 11:25 PM) *
Yes, with Bennacer with a much much more compact midfield! We really need him back, he also passes the ball quickly to the players in charge of the attacking phase which speeds up our play well sometimes. I'm not saying Tonali was in anyway bad. He played okay, did some basic mistakes, but he generally fights well for the ball and can deliver sometimes killer passes. Still needs to grow much.

Hypothetical question: Is a Kessie-Tonali-Bennacer a midfield option for the future? Or would they be too much of the same type of players?

Nah, I can't see us switching to a 3-ma midfield any time soon, and tbh, I don't want that either

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 6 2020, 11:32 PM) *

I love how salty the Inter fans are. If you listen to them, we're terrible, have terrible players etc. But I wonder what that says about their team considering we already beat them this season and are 5 points ahead of them
X-Offender
Yeah, Inter fans are truly rosicando as they say in Italian.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 7 2020, 06:48 PM) *
Yeah, Inter fans are truly rosicando as they say in Italian.

What does it mean?

Watching Inter in the Champion's league. This group is so not likable...and I'm saying this in the most objective way. innocent.gif
William405
Inter disqualified from Champion's leauge and are also not eligible for Europa league since they finished last in their group. They now will have just Serie A to focus on...the fight will be hard. I'm expecting Conte to leave if they don't win the Serie A.
Danny
As funny as their 'disqualification' would be, sadly they weren't - they just got put out.

I know I'm being semantic, and I know what you meant. Just would have been funny had they literally been disqualified.
William405
QUOTE (Danny @ Dec 10 2020, 01:01 AM) *
As funny as their 'disqualification' would be, sadly they weren't - they just got put out.

I know I'm being semantic, and I know what you meant. Just would have been funny had they literally been disqualified.

Hahahaha, yes, in all cases, I'm happy ahahaha. biggrin.gif
X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Dec 9 2020, 10:20 PM) *
What does it mean?

When you get jealous because of someone else's success.

QUOTE (William405 @ Dec 9 2020, 10:58 PM) *
Inter disqualified from Champion's leauge and are also not eligible for Europa league since they finished last in their group. They now will have just Serie A to focus on...the fight will be hard. I'm expecting Conte to leave if they don't win the Serie A.

Third year in a row exiting in the group stage, this year last even. After millions and millions spent. What a disgrace. Conte should resign.
han2503
Wanted Inter to go through. They'll only have the league to focus on now.

Anyway, game starts in a few minutes. Pioli sending out a complete line-up of reserves and a primavera bench. Will be sort of interesting to see
X-Offender
Kinda weird to leave Diaz on the bench considering he's a sub per se, especially since with Ibra and Leao available on Sunday he'll hardly have any space to play.
William405
HAUGEEE WHAT A BEAST
X-Offender
Hauge! This guy is so lethal.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 10 2020, 10:54 PM) *
Kinda weird to leave Diaz on the bench considering he's a sub per se, especially since with Ibra and Leao available on Sunday he'll hardly have any space to play.

I agree, I think he isn't in full form perhaps. I'm not sure.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 10 2020, 11:24 PM) *
Hauge! This guy is so lethal.

Yes!
William405
That was a penalty...
X-Offender
Dalot is so much better on the left.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 10 2020, 11:44 PM) *
Dalot is so much better on the left.

He's good, he worries me a bit on the defensive side. I'm liking Kalulu by the way.
X-Offender
Castillejo is so mediocre. I'll never get tired of saying this.
X-Offender
Leao thinking he's Ronaldinho is the most irritating thing ever.
han2503
Lol, can't believe we actually won that with the rag-tag bunch

I think Diaz didn't play because he's one of the subs that has gotten the most minutes and Pioli said that he was going to give the players who haven't played much a chance today.

Anyways. Decent game overall tbh. Was impressed

Kalulu looks decent. Duarte looks like an imposter. Can't wait to bring in a good CB in January

Most important thing: We won the group, so we'll get a relatively good draw compared to the alternative. Thanks Celtic.
X-Offender
Top of the group. cool.gif
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 10 2020, 10:57 PM) *

Yep. I'm seriously impressed that we managed this without a single regular starter on the pitch.

Granted Sparta rested players as well. But overall the group is just so sure of themselves and of Pioli's system, that we've managed so well even when missing key elements
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 11 2020, 12:21 AM) *

Yes, but he doesn't irritate me much, I mean he's gotten a bit better and can get some goals here and there. But, Krunic really..I don't like him playing for us.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 11 2020, 12:44 AM) *
Leao thinking he's Ronaldinho is the most irritating thing ever.

Yerp, we missed so many chances at the end! mad.gif
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 11 2020, 12:57 AM) *

Most important thing!
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 10 2020, 10:21 PM) *

Honestly, I think Samu has been improving in recent matches. And he's proven himself to be very useful

My biggest issue is definitely Krunic. Now that guy's mediocre. Maldini needs to look for another CM this coming window. Someone who can replace Kessie ideally. Not moving for Bakayoko is proving to be a bad move from us. He'd have been perfect and would have made our midfield options top notch no matter who was playing.

Great to see Tonali continuing his steady upward trajectory as well. He's so good at winning balls, just needs to be better with his distribution
han2503
QUOTE (William405 @ Dec 10 2020, 11:00 PM) *
Yes, but he doesn't irritate me much, I mean he's gotten a bit better and can get some goals here and there. But, Krunic really..I don't like him playing for us.

Took the thought right out of my mind biggrin.gif

Actually posted the same type of reply right after you
William405
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 11 2020, 01:07 AM) *
Took the thought right out of my mind biggrin.gif

Actually posted the same type of reply right after you

Hahahahahha yes I saw! innocent.gif
han2503
These are our possible options for the round of 32

Red Star Belgrade
Dynamo Kiev
Krasnodar
Olympiacos
RB Salzburg
Young Boys
Molde
Slavia Prague
Benfica
Granada
Real Sociedad
Sporting Braga
Maccabi Tel Aviv
Antwerp
Wolfsberger

Didn't know the CL teams drop into the 2nd seeds...

Hopefully we avoid those and get a good draw which we could hopefully kill off in the first leg. Ideally we avoid Salzburg, Prague, Benfica, Sociedad, Braga, Olympiacos and Dynamo
X-Offender
Give me Krasnodar please, whoever they are.
X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Dec 10 2020, 11:00 PM) *

A bit better meaning he can kick the ball without losing it, but he still remains downright mediocre. He's a Genoa level kind of player, so to speak.

Krunic is Serie B material, on the other hand. Really frightening stuff.
X-Offender
By the way, I really liked Kalulu. So concentrated and determined. He really cared to have a good performance and it showed. Kalulu > Duarte.
William405
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 11 2020, 01:25 AM) *

laugh.gif
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 10 2020, 11:14 PM) *
These are our possible options for the round of 32

Red Star Belgrade
Dynamo Kiev
Krasnodar
Olympiacos
RB Salzburg
Young Boys
Molde
Slavia Prague
Benfica
Granada
Real Sociedad
Sporting Braga
Maccabi Tel Aviv
Antwerp
Wolfsberger

Didn't know the CL teams drop into the 2nd seeds...

Hopefully we avoid those and get a good draw which we could hopefully kill off in the first leg. Ideally we avoid Salzburg, Prague, Benfica, Sociedad, Braga, Olympiacos and Dynamo

It's surreal.

Rangers also won our group but the only side I'm a little wary of is indeed Lille. And Rangers fans aren't worried about anyone in the group of unseeded teams in general.

A little strange to see Milan fans being worried about who to avoid in the Europa League. Despite leading Serie A on merit.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Dec 11 2020, 03:58 PM) *
It's surreal.

Rangers also won our group but the only side I'm a little wary of is indeed Lille. And Rangers fans aren't worried about anyone in the group of unseeded teams in general.

A little strange to see Milan fans being worried about who to avoid in the Europa League. Despite leading Serie A on merit.

There are many factors for my thinking here

I don't want to face a side that could potentially put us out if we have a bad night. And I want to see us kill the tie off in preferably the first leg. The easier these first draws are for us, the better for us not just in the EL itself, but in the league as well.

Look at yesterday. We basically put out an entirely new 11. It's stuff I would do on Fifa when the fitness bars on the players are low.

Killing the tie off in the first leg allows for rotation. This is hugely important now with Inter out of Europe and having nothing else but the league to focus on.

So basically, if we can get the semi pro teams still left in the comp I would be immensely happy.

The likes of Benfica, Leipzig, etc would be worrying for several different factors.

Rangers basically have the league wrapped up already imo. I understand why you would be bullish in the EL. We don't have that same luxury. Our 5 point cushion can be easily wiped out. We need to thread carefully in the league, and for me, EL is a bonus and if it's going to hinder our title chances with difficult draws that would be both physically and mentally draining for the players, I'd rather we bow out early
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 10 2020, 11:25 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good one.

I'm partial to either them, Antwerp, Wolfsberger or Molde.

Those would all be ideal.

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 10 2020, 11:32 PM) *
By the way, I really liked Kalulu. So concentrated and determined. He really cared to have a good performance and it showed. Kalulu > Duarte.

Agreed. I think I mentioned Kalulu in my post match post. He looks good. Also physical and fast which is something we lack in our current crop of CBs

Btw, how far has Musacchio fallen to not even get ahead of Kalulu or Duarte for this game? I read somewhere that he is fit, so I don't understand what the issue is. He was never a great defender but was always serviceable before.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 11 2020, 08:54 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good one.

I'm partial to either them, Antwerp, Wolfsberger or Molde.

Those would all be ideal.

It's Wolfsberger??? I thought it was Wolfsburg. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 11 2020, 08:54 PM) *
Btw, how far has Musacchio fallen to not even get ahead of Kalulu or Duarte for this game? I read somewhere that he is fit, so I don't understand what the issue is. He was never a great defender but was always serviceable before.

I guess because he hasn't played in ages.
Forza Milan!
Have not been on this forum for a while, so I had to catch up :-)

@CrazyMilanFan - glad to hear you beat COVID. My mom did as well. She is in her mid 80's, so I was real worried for a while.

As for the rest ...

Lots of negativism and a few "meltdowns" in the last couple of months. They have started giving out awards for this kind of behavior in a different forum :-)

This is how I look at the current situation:
- We are ahead in Serie A, 5 points clear (not counting Sassuolo's game earlier today)
- We won our EL group (despite getting a single point out of two Lille games)
- We play as a team
- We have one of the youngest teams in top European leagues, lots of potential for the future
- We won (or tied) matches with direct competitors in Serie A
- We won games against teams where we would have tied in recent years (or even lost in the final minutes). Yes, we struggled in some of these games, but nevertheless we came away with 3 points.
- We have been winning even though some of our key players have been out
- Hague is a monster (perhaps not the "next Kaka", but huge potential), Tonali is starting to prove his worth, Kalulu surprised me in the last match (I had written him off in pre-season), Cala and Gabbia are solid options. Not to mention other players that were already performing last season (Kessie, Benna, Zlatan, etc.)

Had you told me at the beginning of the season that this is where we would end up mid December, I would have not believed you (yes, I hoped, but did not really expect).

I regularly read comments on CM (and elsewhere). Indeed, lots of "rosicare" from the Intereisti, and some (though less) from Rube fans as well.
- We are "Bilan" and our players are "scarsi"
- Just wait until the end of the season, we will be 20 points behind Merda / Rube
- We were supposed to fall apart after a few games
- We were supposed to fall apart after Zlatan got injured
- We were supposed to fall apart by November or December (well, someone on this forum believed this as well :-))
- Now the tune has changed to "the refs are helping us" and "how can we be so lucky"

Do I truly believe that we will win Serie A and/or EL? Probably not, but I am a fan, so I am compelled to hope (and even allow myself to believe).

Do I believe our team is playing great? Not really, but we are playing as a team (more than what I can say for Merda or even Rube), we are consistent, and we have bounced back when in past years we would have fallen apart.

Are we back to our glory days? No way, not even close. But we are rebuilding, and doing so on a solid financial basis (something we did not really have with B&G).

To look at this differently, this is the best we have seen in a decade, so here is my advice to some of you:
- Chill out
- Enjoy the moment (it may not last :-))
- Stay positive (we are fans, after all !!!)

Forza Milan !!!
X-Offender
Looks like Ibra won't be called for tomorrow's game. Disappointing, thought he would have recovered by now.

At least with Rebic CF we have Hauge on the left.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 11 2020, 11:03 PM) *

Yeah Austrian side 'better known' as RZ Pellets WAC.
X-Offender
Pioli: "Between Leao and Rebic I think the latter is more suited to play as CF"

I couldn't disagree more.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 11 2020, 11:03 PM) *

I guess because he hasn't played in ages.

Yeah, they're the beef patty making side of Wolfsburg tongue.gif

QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Dec 12 2020, 03:40 AM) *
Have not been on this forum for a while, so I had to catch up :-)

@CrazyMilanFan - glad to hear you beat COVID. My mom did as well. She is in her mid 80's, so I was real worried for a while.

As for the rest ...

Lots of negativism and a few "meltdowns" in the last couple of months. They have started giving out awards for this kind of behavior in a different forum :-)

This is how I look at the current situation:
- We are ahead in Serie A, 5 points clear (not counting Sassuolo's game earlier today)
- We won our EL group (despite getting a single point out of two Lille games)
- We play as a team
- We have one of the youngest teams in top European leagues, lots of potential for the future
- We won (or tied) matches with direct competitors in Serie A
- We won games against teams where we would have tied in recent years (or even lost in the final minutes). Yes, we struggled in some of these games, but nevertheless we came away with 3 points.
- We have been winning even though some of our key players have been out
- Hague is a monster (perhaps not the "next Kaka", but huge potential), Tonali is starting to prove his worth, Kalulu surprised me in the last match (I had written him off in pre-season), Cala and Gabbia are solid options. Not to mention other players that were already performing last season (Kessie, Benna, Zlatan, etc.)

Had you told me at the beginning of the season that this is where we would end up mid December, I would have not believed you (yes, I hoped, but did not really expect).

I regularly read comments on CM (and elsewhere). Indeed, lots of "rosicare" from the Intereisti, and some (though less) from Rube fans as well.
- We are "Bilan" and our players are "scarsi"
- Just wait until the end of the season, we will be 20 points behind Merda / Rube
- We were supposed to fall apart after a few games
- We were supposed to fall apart after Zlatan got injured
- We were supposed to fall apart by November or December (well, someone on this forum believed this as well :-))
- Now the tune has changed to "the refs are helping us" and "how can we be so lucky"

Do I truly believe that we will win Serie A and/or EL? Probably not, but I am a fan, so I am compelled to hope (and even allow myself to believe).

Do I believe our team is playing great? Not really, but we are playing as a team (more than what I can say for Merda or even Rube), we are consistent, and we have bounced back when in past years we would have fallen apart.

Are we back to our glory days? No way, not even close. But we are rebuilding, and doing so on a solid financial basis (something we did not really have with B&G).

To look at this differently, this is the best we have seen in a decade, so here is my advice to some of you:
- Chill out
- Enjoy the moment (it may not last :-))
- Stay positive (we are fans, after all !!!)

Forza Milan !!!

Excellent post. And I agree. Let's enjoy the moment.

For me. Top 4 is still the absolute must get goal. Anything else is icing.

Of course the "S" word has crossed my mind a couple of times, but then I reign myself in. I think our squad is too thin to make it that far. Now if we're still first in January and make those 3 signings we need, I might actually let myself hope

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 12 2020, 02:05 PM) *
Looks like Ibra won't be called for tomorrow's game. Disappointing, thought he would have recovered by now.

At least with Rebic CF we have Hauge on the left.

I'm thinking they won't risk him until the Sassuolo game at this point. I'm eager to see him back in the team, but anything that would cause his absence for the more difficult games should be avoided.

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 12 2020, 03:48 PM) *
Pioli: "Between Leao and Rebic I think the latter is more suited to play as CF"

I couldn't disagree more.

I agree with your disagreement.

Rebic has really struggled upfront. Especially since we've faced teams who stay very compact. And it will be the same against Parma and Genoa.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.