Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serie A 2020/2021 season
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
CrazyMilanFan
I think the pressure is getting to us.
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 17 2020, 07:18 PM) *
Krunic coming in WTF!!

Missed a great chance as well
CrazyMilanFan
Finally common... A Derby win
William405
FORZA MILAAAAAAN
X-Offender
FFS man! This second half had me suffering like a b*tch.

It was so ugly, so disorganised by our side. It's been a constant throughout this season, our players simply switch off at some point. They looked exhausted.

And Pioli with his moronic changes. At least bring in Tonali than Krunic, Brahim or Hauge than the catastrophically awful Castillejo who I cannot fathom anymore.

We were lucky in the end. Inter had so many chances, not to mention the close call on their penalty claim. We got kissed by fate there.

All that being said, it feels so good to finally win another derby!
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 17 2020, 08:06 PM) *

It was so ugly, so disorganised by our side. It's been a constant throughout this season, our players simply switch off at some point. They looked exhausted.

And Pioli with his moronic changes. At least bring in Tonali than Krunic, Brahim or Hauge than the catastrophically awful Castillejo who I cannot fathom anymore.

We were lucky in the end. Inter had so many chances, not to mention the close call on their penalty claim. We got kissed by fate there.

Agreed.

Real happy for the win, but ... I don't understand Pioli's obsession with Samu. Yes, he played a few decent games towards the end of last season, but in recent games he has been horrible. Krunic has not done much either.

The game was panful to watch. Inter players got away with a lot. But, a win is a win, and a win against Inter is always a pleasure. And we are top of the table! May not last long, but let's enjoy it while it lasts.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 17 2020, 07:06 PM) *

I understand the frustration, but I think in hindsight the subs were correct. Krunic added another body in the middle of the pitch.

And I feel like Pioli was very hesitant to put in any of the young players given the tense nature of the game.

Samu did what was needed as well. I've been one of his harshest critics, but he came in, pressed high and put the Inter defenders under pressure.

Yes we had close calls, but we should have ended it given the chances, Samu and Krunic both had.

So all in all, it was a good game. A very good first half with a cagey 2nd. Always to be expected given fatigue was setting in considering the insane schedule some of the players (on both sides) have had to deal with.

As for switching off. We haven't switched off since the Genoa game. You can't control the entire 90 minutes. Especially not against a team like Inter who are title favourites this year btw
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 6 2020, 09:58 PM) *
Indeed. What a gyp it all it turned out to be. Almost 50M earned from the sales of Suso, Paqueta and Rodriguez, +15M from the EL, +30M from the budget, yet we didn't spend anything. Only 10M for Tonali's loan and 5M for Hauge. Clearly management is only concerned for clearing the books.

We need to get the team to be on solid financial grounds before we can think about spending. We are paying for massive mistakes made in the past decade. No CL for a long time, no growth in other forms of revenue, ridiculous salaries for mediocre players, massive losses on player value (where other teams have "plusvalenze"). Don't blame Elliott for this, this is on B&G and M&F. And keep in mind that COVID has not helped anyone.
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Oct 8 2020, 11:43 AM) *
[...] without actually having the clubs income/expenses on hand, we are not in a position to consider that an absolute figure that is available for use in the transfer market. As the club has lost a lot with closure of stadium hence no stadium receipts. While broadcasting have been renegotiated lower if I recall correctly.

These are important factors to consider.

Indeed
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 17 2020, 07:39 PM) *
I understand the frustration, but I think in hindsight the subs were correct. Krunic added another body in the middle of the pitch.

And I feel like Pioli was very hesitant to put in any of the young players given the tense nature of the game.

Samu did what was needed as well. I've been one of his harshest critics, but he came in, pressed high and put the Inter defenders under pressure.

Yes we had close calls, but we should have ended it given the chances, Samu and Krunic both had.

So all in all, it was a good game. A very good first half with a cagey 2nd. Always to be expected given fatigue was setting in considering the insane schedule some of the players (on both sides) have had to deal with.

As for switching off. We haven't switched off since the Genoa game. You can't control the entire 90 minutes. Especially not against a team like Inter who are title favourites this year btw

Oh come on, man!

Castillejo did what was needed? Many players can press high, but you also have to look at what extra qualities they can bring when coming in, especially in a delicate game like this. We had so many counterattacks that Castillejo completely squandered with his inability to do anything decent. Even got an elbow by Ibra after the nth waste.

I'm not saying I was against the idea of adding more bodies in midfield, but put in Tonali, not Krunic. We signed all these new exciting youngsters yet we still rely on old garbage. It's not like Krunic or Castillejo have any more experience in these games than the likes of Tonali, Brahim or Hauge do.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 17 2020, 07:51 PM) *
Oh come on, man!

Castillejo did what was needed? Many players can press high, but you also have to look at what extra qualities they can bring when coming in, especially in a delicate game like this. We had so many counterattacks that Castillejo completely squandered with his inability to do anything decent. Even got an elbow by Ibra after the nth waste.

I'm not saying I was against the idea of adding more bodies in midfield, but put in Tonali, not Krunic. We signed all these new exciting youngsters yet we still rely on old garbage. It's not like Krunic or Castillejo have any more experience in these games than the likes of Tonali, Brahim or Hauge do.

Did Pioli play it safe? Yes. But given our recent derby history I understand his decisions.

Tonali has looked nervous in his previous games. I don't think this was this right time to put him in

Regarding Samu, I didn't compliment his attacking play, but he did help in other areas.

We're really going to nit-pick winning the derby? After a 4 year dry spell?

And have Inter never gotten lucky during that time and got the 3 points?
han2503
Conte to Sky:" Milan were good and often quite lucky at the time."

You make your own luck. In the past luck has eluded us because we were not good enough. We didn't press the situation because we never believed in ourselves. That is the key difference.

We had Romagnoli coming back from a very long injury in the central defence, up against, imo, the best striker duo in the league. And our defence held up. Yes there were shaky moments, but you can't keep complete control for the entire 90
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 17 2020, 07:58 PM) *
Did Pioli play it safe? Yes. But given our recent derby history I understand his decisions.

Tonali has looked nervous in his previous games. I don't think this was this right time to put him in

Regarding Samu, I didn't compliment his attacking play, but he did help in other areas.

We're really going to nit-pick winning the derby? After a 4 year dry spell?

And have Inter never gotten lucky during that time and got the 3 points?

Sorry, but I'm not the kind of guy who just looks at the result and smiles.

Pioli made it more difficult for us, is what I'm saying. I simply hate the idea of fielding useless players in delicate situations like this when the stakes are very high. We were incredibly lucky, and we might be singing another song had any one of their chances gone in.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 17 2020, 08:03 PM) *
Sorry, but I'm not the kind of guy who just looks at the result and smiles.

Pioli made it more difficult for us, is what I'm saying. I simply hate the idea of fielding useless players in delicate situations like this when the stakes are very high. We were incredibly lucky, and we might be singing another song had any one of their chances gone in.

Understood. But sometimes you just take the 3 points and smile. Not every game is going to be champagne football or even comfortable.

I get your points, and agree with them to a certain point. But I also understand why Pioli made the decisions that he did.

Let's look ahead to Celtic. Danny must be having a grand old day, 2 for 2 on derby day since Rangers won 2-0.

I think we should rest some players for this one. Hakan, Bennacer or Kessie should sit it out. Tonali and Brahim should play instead. Would love to see Hauge starting on the wing as well.
han2503
oh, and btw, why do Inter have Skriniar on the bench and are playing with 4 WBs/FBs? Kolarov and D'Ambrosio were just awful on both goals. Conte and his fetishes really are aggravating
han2503
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 17 2020, 09:04 PM) *
oh, and btw, why do Inter have Skriniar on the bench and are playing with 4 WBs/FBs? Kolarov and D'Ambrosio were just awful on both goals. Conte and his fetishes really are aggravating

Correction. Apparently Skriniar has the Rona. But from what I read from Inter fans, Conte is not fond of him
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 17 2020, 09:11 PM) *
Correction. Apparently Skriniar has the Rona. But from what I read from Inter fans, Conte is not fond of him

He was rumoured to leave but then stayed. Conte isn't indeed fond of him.
X-Offender
About tonight's performances, I thought Kjaer, Calabria, Kessie and Ibra were our best players. Worth noting that both goals started from Calabria. He simply owned Perisic tonight.

Romagnoli and Theo were pretty bad. I understand Romagnoli who was coming from 3 months of inactivity, but Theo completely lost his duel with Hakimi. Not gonna mention Castillejo again.

I would have included Leao as well, but he assisted the second goal, so that sort of dismisses him. But he was pretty poor. He can't play on the wing, at least not under Pioli's system. He's too immobile off the ball, doesn't press, doesn't combine well enough with the other players, like Saelemaekers for example does. He just doesn't fit, and looks like an external body who just awaits for the ball to do his own tricks.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 17 2020, 09:54 PM) *
About tonight's performances, I thought Kjaer, Calabria, Kessie and Ibra were our best players. Worth noting that both goals started from Calabria. He simply owned Perisic tonight.

Romagnoli and Theo were pretty bad. I understand Romagnoli who was coming from 3 months of inactivity, but Theo completely lost his duel with Hakimi. Not gonna mention Castillejo again.

I would have included Leao as well, but he assisted the second goal, so that sort of dismisses him. But he was pretty poor. He can't play on the wing, at least not under Pioli's system. He's too immobile off the ball, doesn't press, doesn't combine well enough with the other players, like Saelemaekers for example does. He just doesn't fit, and looks like an external body who just awaits for the ball to do his own tricks.

I thought Theo was okay. Looked preoccupied with Hakimi though and just was not willing to make his usual runs, probably fearing he'd be caught out if the ball is lost. Generally speaking he didn't allow Hakimi to create too much on that side though which is good as Theo defensively is still a bit of a question mark for me. He usually recovers due to his speed but Hakimi is probably one of the few players faster than him.

Agreed about the good performers. I'd also add Hakan there. But Ibra aside. Kessie was my MotM. It's truly amazing how much he's grown under Pioli.

Agreed about Leao. We should only use him as a CF sub for Ibra. He's not a winger. And even though he did turn D'Ambrosio around a couple of times, I think had we had a proper winger on that side, we'd have probably inflicted more damage on Inter.
Danny
Top of the table. 4 wins out of 4. Derby win.

And MF regulars still whine.
William405
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 18 2020, 05:54 PM) *

We are used to winning champions league titles biggrin.gif
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 18 2020, 04:54 PM) *

Indeed.

For weeks I keep reading (on various forums) stuff like "inadequate team; horrible mercato; we barely won against week teams (like Crotone), better teams (like Juve) surely will dominate them; first game we will play against a tough opponent (like Inter) we will get trashed". Yet ... we are winning games where we would have struggled in the past, conceded only one goal (from a high scoring Inter), and other teams have their problems. Only teams that really worries me is Napoli (all others have shown their limitations).

Yes, this is a long way from winning CL. OTOH, we have been little more than a mid-table team in recent years, and we are not going to go back to the old glory days overnight.

Let's enjoy the moment. Forza Milan!
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 17 2020, 09:03 PM) *

Yes, we did get lucky. OTOH, after reading some commentaries on the game, I think I understand Pioli's strategy a little better. As I understand it, Pioli played a risky game for the first 60 minutes, using players (like Leao) that could exploit Inter's defensive weakness, but leaving us exposed as well (in particular, Roma and Theo struggled). The strategy worked in the first half, but Inter was getting way too many chances after the break. Bringing Krunic and Samu was all about shoring up the defense and preserving the win. Going to a 4-3-3 closed Inter's attack lanes, and Samu was favored over more attack-minded (but risky) options (like Diaz and Hague). Inter still had chances, but less so.

I still think Samu needs to be replaced with someone better, and we need upgrades as well as more depth in multiple areas.
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Oct 18 2020, 05:19 PM) *
Indeed.

For weeks I keep reading (on various forums) stuff like "inadequate team; horrible mercato; we barely won against week teams (like Crotone), better teams (like Juve) surely will dominate them; first game we will play against a tough opponent (like Inter) we will get trashed". Yet ... we are winning games where we would have struggled in the past, conceded only one goal (from a high scoring Inter), and other teams have their problems. Only teams that really worries me is Napoli (all others have shown their limitations).

Yes, this is a long way from winning CL. OTOH, we have been little more than a mid-table team in recent years, and we are not going to go back to the old glory days overnight.

Let's enjoy the moment. Forza Milan!

Agreed.

Napoli and Atalanta for me are both the scary teams in the league due to their attacking acumen. Napoli absolutely destroyed Atalanta yesterday, but on any other day, it could have easily been the reverse.

Juve drew to Crotone yesterday, Roma are losing to Benevento atm. I thin this is going to be a crazy season, with crazy score lines. The Covid effect factoring in, not to mention the compressed fixture list.

That being said, we've started the season out strong. Complaining right now, is pointless. Yes we haven't really geared up to the level of play we were at after the restart but certain things have factored into that, mainly the limited preparation going into the season, the loss of Zlatan, Rebic and Romagnoli and fatigue playing a part as well. Our run of games after the restart we were incredibly fit, and were managing to outrun our opponents in most games, I expect us to regain those fitness levels in time, and with that the more fluid play will come.

All in all, I'm very happy with how things are going so far. We have a strong group and it is clear that the team spirit is high with everyone playing for each other

QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Oct 18 2020, 05:35 PM) *
Yes, we did get lucky. OTOH, after reading some commentaries on the game, I think I understand Pioli's strategy a little better. As I understand it, Pioli played a risky game for the first 60 minutes, using players (like Leao) that could exploit Inter's defensive weakness, but leaving us exposed as well (in particular, Roma and Theo struggled). The strategy worked in the first half, but Inter was getting way too many chances after the break. Bringing Krunic and Samu was all about shoring up the defense and preserving the win. Going to a 4-3-3 closed Inter's attack lanes, and Samu was favored over more attack-minded (but risky) options (like Diaz and Hague). Inter still had chances, but less so.

I still think Samu needs to be replaced with someone better, and we need upgrades as well as more depth in multiple areas.

Agreed. I scratched my head when he put on Krunic as well. But I think it helped out in closing the spaces, especially with Kessie and Bennacer tiring out.

Re Theo and Romagnoli. You have to also look at the fact that Leao was on their flank, while Alexis was on Calabria's side, and he goes from doubling up as a FB to attacking, while Leao doesn't help out as much, plus this being Inter's stronger side with Hakimi
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 18 2020, 03:54 PM) *

If there's room to criticise, then I don't see the problem in doing that. Like I said before, I'm not the kind of guy who just looks at the result and smile. I always want us to get better and make as few mistakes as possible. It's how winners such as our club should think.

Am I happy with the results thus far? Extremely. But that's another matter entirely.
Rossoneri7
4 games down, 34 to go in the league.

Didn't like the derby, first 20-30 minutes were good, Milan were calm and in control. The rest, Milan were organized and covered as a team, but the individual qualities prevailed where inter clearly trumps Milan.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, and hope for a CL birth. At the very least EL.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 18 2020, 11:35 PM) *
If there's room to criticise, then I don't see the problem in doing that. Like I said before, I'm not the kind of guy who just looks at the result and smile. I always want us to get better and make as few mistakes as possible. It's how winners such as our club should think.

That club you're thinking of is gone. This is a new Milan, and achieving what we have is wonderful.

If you remain stuck in the late 80s and the last 20 years you'll never be able to support what the club is now.

Am I happy with the results thus far? Extremely. But that's another matter entirely.

Is it? Results are the whole point of football.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 21 2020, 12:06 PM) *
That club you're thinking of is gone. This is a new Milan, and achieving what we have is wonderful.

If you remain stuck in the late 80s and the last 20 years you'll never be able to support what the club is now.

Yeah, but it's where we should strive to get back to. That's the whole point.

QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 21 2020, 12:06 PM) *
Is it? Results are the whole point of football.

Just results? How you you achieve those results doesn't matter? Getting some perspective on whether we'll be able to continue attaining these results in the mid-to-long term? We need to keep improving if we want to become great again.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 21 2020, 02:32 PM) *
Yeah, but it's where we should strive to get back to. That's the whole point.

And when we get there we can once again have the mindset of winners. Hard to have that champion outlook when you're outta that loop for 10 years. The obvious examples is Liverpool and Leeds - both champions in the 70s and 80s and 90s but had a 30-year hiatus - can't read the mind of their fans but thinking they're still successful and acting like they should be, if they did, achieved absolutely nothing.

Unfortunately we need to adjust to what we are. It's in the DNA of Milan to be champions, but this is not the Milan of that DNA right now. And as result, being top of the table, 4 wins out of 4 and beating Inter with the goal record we have this season is absolutely remarkable.

I wanted to eat humble pie some months ago about us sustaining tail end of last season into November December. It looks like I might get a feast. And now it's YOU unhappy with the state of play instead!?

Just results?

Yes.

How you you achieve those results doesn't matter?

No, it really doesn't.

Getting some perspective on whether we'll be able to continue attaining these results in the mid-to-long term?

From an analysis point of view I have no complaint about looking in depth at things like stats (our great friend these days wink.gif) and looking at the bigger picture. But football will always be about results - not how you got them.

We need to keep improving if we want to become great again.

Let's be honest - even Carlo's Milan wasn't always great, in fact, it was often far from it - often won ugly and some of his selections were terrible. It's not about being great, it's about winning. Winning is in this club's DNA, however that is achieved.

And if we win the league this season with pure luck and winning each match 1-0 while half the goals are OGs, it's still a win!
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 19 2020, 12:35 AM) *

We are getting results *and* we are playing a much more attractive style than we had for a long time. We are well below CL level, and I agree we need to strive to get back there. However, that is not going to happen overnight.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 21 2020, 04:48 PM) *
And when we get there we can once again have the mindset of winners. Hard to have that champion outlook when you're outta that loop for 10 years. The obvious examples is Liverpool and Leeds - both champions in the 70s and 80s and 90s but had a 30-year hiatus - can't read the mind of their fans but thinking they're still successful and acting like they should be, if they did, achieved absolutely nothing.

Unfortunately we need to adjust to what we are. It's in the DNA of Milan to be champions, but this is not the Milan of that DNA right now. And as result, being top of the table, 4 wins out of 4 and beating Inter with the goal record we have this season is absolutely remarkable.

I wanted to eat humble pie some months ago about us sustaining tail end of last season into November December. It looks like I might get a feast. And now it's YOU unhappy with the state of play instead!?

Yes.

No, it really doesn't.

From an analysis point of view I have no complaint about looking in depth at things like stats (our great friend these days wink.gif) and looking at the bigger picture. But football will always be about results - not how you got them.

Let's be honest - even Carlo's Milan wasn't always great, in fact, it was often far from it - often won ugly and some of his selections were terrible. It's not about being great, it's about winning. Winning is in this club's DNA, however that is achieved.

And if we win the league this season with pure luck and winning each match 1-0 while half the goals are OGs, it's still a win!

+1
Danny
PS what's the deal with this 'European Premier League' - have Milan got any involvement in this?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 21 2020, 03:48 PM) *

Yes.

No, it really doesn't.

I get you, I really do. But we've already made that first important step forward. This is not the same Milan of the last 10 years. We're finally getting results, winning big games, we have an identity, a real leader, a coach with a vision, and we're playing realitvely well.

We should build on all this. This year it'll be back to CL, next year I expect us to fight for the scudetto. But only if we're improving. No steps backwards should be accepted anymore.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 21 2020, 04:05 PM) *
I get you, I really do. But we've already made that first important step forward. This is not the same Milan of the last 10 years. We're finally getting results, winning big games, we have an identity, a real leader, a coach with a vision, and we're playing realitvely well.

The same coach getting slaughtered in the match thread?!

I do actually eat humble pie on the impact Pioli has made, thought he'd be another mess, but he's been really great and we do look like we're building something tangible.

Getting results and winning big games - isn't that exactly the point I'm making?

We should build on all this. This year it'll be back to CL, next year I expect us to fight for the scudetto. But only if we're improving. No steps backwards should be accepted anymore.

I don't disagree, but we've not earn the right to expect. Not yet.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 21 2020, 09:03 PM) *
The same coach getting slaughtered in the match thread?!

Slaughtered? I only criticised his subs, calm down.

QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 21 2020, 09:03 PM) *
Getting results and winning big games - isn't that exactly the point I'm making?

That's only part of what I said.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 21 2020, 04:59 PM) *
PS what's the deal with this 'European Premier League' - have Milan got any involvement in this?

We may be involved but I am not sure. Either way, I am not convinced this is a great idea. While CL has been dominated by a short list of teams, it is good to see the occasional "outsider" making it to the final stages of the competition. If we have a competition with the same teams, it may be interesting for a few years, but after a while it may lose much of its appeal.
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Oct 21 2020, 11:00 PM) *
We may be involved but I am not sure. Either way, I am not convinced this is a great idea. While CL has been dominated by a short list of teams, it is good to see the occasional "outsider" making it to the final stages of the competition. If we have a competition with the same teams, it may be interesting for a few years, but after a while it may lose much of its appeal.

Meh, I think clubs should push for it.

It will render UEFA powerless. Their FFP BS is getting on people's nerves big time, especially when teams like City and PSG keep escaping punishment, while others have to play by the rules.

I say the top clubs should go for it, and negotiate an astronomical TV deal that would put UEFA out of business.

Back to Milan

We've lost Hakan through an ankle injury, not worried about this game in particular as I wanted Pioli to rest him, but he won't be available for the Roma game which is a big blow.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 22 2020, 12:13 PM) *

It will render UEFA powerless. Their FFP BS is getting on people's nerves big time, especially when teams like City and PSG keep escaping punishment, while others have to play by the rules.

I say the top clubs should go for it, and negotiate an astronomical TV deal that would put UEFA out of business.

Good point. They can go f*ck themselves with their FFP bullshit.

We've lost Hakan through an ankle injury, not worried about this game in particular as I wanted Pioli to rest him, but he won't be available for the Roma game which is a big blow.

Yeah, big blow, considering we might still have Rebic unavailable as well.

For tonight looks like Dalot might start. Mediaset also has Castillejo starting, and Krunic as LAM which I'm not even even gonna bother with anymore.
Danny

tbf City were banned from Europe, until they got it overturned. And it was overturned by a higher court than UEFA so it's not like they chose that.

I get your point, but if you let the likes of City and PSG just spend what they want to, football will lose what little soul it has left and it will be literally about buying success and, player prices, already f*cking insane, will rise so madly as to devalue money so badly that currency may well get affected.

For goodness sake FFP is what stopped City signing Messi for 750M.

Aren't you just advocating another evil to replace UEFA?
Danny
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Oct 21 2020, 11:00 PM) *

I'm very hmmmmmmmmmm about it. I like the idea of alternatives to stop UEFA's dominant BS, which Han and others allude to, but it's like a dictator - when you depose a dictator you just end up replacing them with another one.

Neither UEFA or FIFA like this plan, because of course it's a huge rival to them, but tbf the CL isn't as fun as it used to be.

It's too clinical, too elitist, and while I admit I wish my teams (Rangers and Milan) were in it of course, there's something more clinical about it these days than even five or 10 years ago.

I was actually talking about this with the missus. The first ever CL, back in 1992/93.

Both my teams were two of the founders, and of course we had Brugge, Marseiile CSKA, Porto, PSV in there as well.

But they were all champions of their country, no non champions got in - Rangers only made it by beating English champions Leeds to qualify.

Now it's been so watered down and moneyed up that it isn't even fun any more.
William405
Krunic!!! X-off 😅
X-Offender
QUOTE (William405 @ Oct 22 2020, 08:14 PM) *
Krunic!!! X-off 😅

From Castillejo's assist nonetheless.

Easy game. Celtic are really bad.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Oct 22 2020, 03:36 PM) *
tbf City were banned from Europe, until they got it overturned. And it was overturned by a higher court than UEFA so it's not like they chose that.

I get your point, but if you let the likes of City and PSG just spend what they want to, football will lose what little soul it has left and it will be literally about buying success and, player prices, already f*cking insane, will rise so madly as to devalue money so badly that currency may well get affected.

For goodness sake FFP is what stopped City signing Messi for 750M.

Aren't you just advocating another evil to replace UEFA?

But don't they already do that?

PSG, City, Real have all the leverage because they have unlimited money. FFP handicaps clubs even more. I just think it's BS, It is absolutely not a fair system, PSG and City have used loopholes to get around the rules, and not all clubs can do that. FFP has basically created a monopoly between 6 clubs or so. The CL has lost it's excitement because of it. I think player prices will start to go down, you can already see it happening this summer. The only club that went crazy was Chelsea, probably because they didn't make any transfers last summer because of their ban.
han2503
Good first half, Krunic is in the centre, which imo is his natural position.

I'd personally swap in Hauge for Krunic and Leao for Ibra in the 2nd half, we need to look ahead to Roma.
X-Offender
As in nearly every game this season thus far, we simply stop playing in the second half.
X-Offender
1-2

Deserved.
William405
Hauge!!!
X-Offender
Pathetic second half. Either we stop caring or get tired, I can't tell which one is it. But it's getting worrying.

Happy for Hauge. Pioli should start giving him more time than the usual final 10-15 minutes.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 22 2020, 09:28 PM) *
As in nearly every game this season thus far, we simply stop playing in the second half.

Yeah, we relaxed, but I don't agree that we've stopped playing in all our 2nd halves. Aside from the Inter game, where we were under pressure but did not concede in the 2nd half, the other games we've played were all balanced in terms of how we play both halves (Maybe you have a case with the Rio Ave game as well where we were dead tired by the 2nd half).

You also have to factor in fatigue setting in as the game goes on. We've played the most games so far compared to the other Serie A teams, in a very compressed period of time. It's going to take effect

That being said, today we definitely took our feet off the gas around the 60th minute mark, especially when Kessie came off, he's our anchor in that midfield and Bennacer didn't come on strong. I think they felt they could cruise the rest of the game given how poor Celtic were
han2503
I have a bad feeling Pioli is going to play Krunic against Roma

I really hope I'm wrong here, Celtic is at the right level where he can look half decent, but against Roma he won't cut it. Diaz should be playing instead of Hakan
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 22 2020, 09:54 PM) *
Yeah, we relaxed, but I don't agree that we've stopped playing in all our 2nd halves. Aside from the Inter game, where we were under pressure but did not concede in the 2nd half, the other games we've played were all balanced in terms of how we play both halves (Maybe you have a case with the Rio Ave game as well where we were dead tired by the 2nd half).

You also have to factor in fatigue setting in as the game goes on. We've played the most games so far compared to the other Serie A teams, in a very compressed period of time. It's going to take effect

That being said, today we definitely took our feet off the gas around the 60th minute mark, especially when Kessie came off, he's our anchor in that midfield and Bennacer didn't come on strong. I think they felt they could cruise the rest of the game given how poor Celtic were

Nah, even before Kessie got off. We reentered the pitch with a different mentality, like the game was won so we just had to sit tight and fend off their meager attacks, when in reality Lenon's change of formation and Celtic's grit truly put us under pressure.

And no, it wasn't just this game or the Inter game. Aside from SPAL where we were 0-0 at half time, in nearly every other game we've let this happen. Bologna, Bodo, Crotone, Rio Ave, it's been the same to some degree or another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.