Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [EN] Premier League 2011-12
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
kurtsimonw
Nearly £25m for someone who has 5 goals this season? Bent and Gabby have that each and they have missed games!

Suarez is good value in comparison to their other signings. But bad value as an individual transfer. Dreadful finisher. His build up play is decent, but as a forward you simply have to put away the chances he gets.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 20 2011, 11:09 PM) *
Nearly £25m for someone who has 5 goals this season? Bent and Gabby have that each and they have missed games!

I think Suarez was more around £23m and can't Bent's fee go to £24m anyway?

Apparently Evra said racist things to Suarez too, yeah like that's going to be investigated laugh.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 20 2011, 11:33 PM) *
I think Suarez was more around £23m and can't Bent's fee go to £24m anyway?

Indeed. But given that it's tied in with CL qualification I doubt it'll ever get past the initial £18m. Bent also scored as many goals in his time as a Villa player last season (16 games) than Suarez has in his entire time in the Premier League. That's without him having less games, shots, worse service, being on an inferior team.

But his name is Suarez..

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 20 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Apparently Evra said racist things to Suarez too, yeah like that's going to be investigated laugh.gif

I doubt it. United are usually more harsh on United than they are Liverpool. If Evra was found out he'd be slaughtered. Didn't Rooney get in trouble for swearing? Nothing has come from Suarez doing the same yet.
Milan Are Brilliant
I don't buy it's because his name is Suarez, that's never really been an elaborate name.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 20 2011, 11:41 PM) *
I doubt it. United are usually more harsh on United than they are Liverpool. If Evra was found out he'd be slaughtered. Didn't Rooney get in trouble for swearing? Nothing has come from Suarez doing the same yet.

If Evra swore maybe, if it was a racial comment they wouldn't, the FA would probably be deemed white supremacists, as well as everything else if they punished Evra.

Going to make the Terry case even more interesting.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 20 2011, 11:54 PM) *
I don't buy it's because his name is Suarez, that's never really been an elaborate name.

If he was English with that scoring record, people wouldn't dream of calling him a £20m+ player. South Americans get way overrated though.

Don't think Terry will get into trouble at all to be honest.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 21 2011, 12:01 AM) *
Don't think Terry will get into trouble at all to be honest.

Terry's getting charged, just like Suarez without conclusive evidence, unless there's some behind the scenes stuff going on that's not in the public domain.

Until players get micced up on the pitch anyone white accused of being racist will no likely get charged, without definitive evidence, at least in this country. That's just the way it works.
kurtsimonw
You're probably right.

No Given, Collins, Herd or Bent tonight. Though no Delph either which is a huge positive.
kurtsimonw
Not many teams can play Arsenal off the park like we did tonight. 90 minutes of domination and we still lose because we can't defend set peices.

Nice to see the perfect gentleman RvP booked for diving.
Milan Are Brilliant
Yet again tonight proves to me Charlie Adam is ridiculously overrated.
kurtsimonw
Marc Albrighton scored the 20,000th goal in Premier League history! biggrin.gif

Having seen most of the top clubs now first hand, only City look that good. United and Arsenal really struggled to create anything and Liverpool seem to be able to create, but not finish.

Id say Spurs are probably the 2nd best team I've seen to be honest.
Milan Are Brilliant
I think now United have gone out of the big European competition, (I doubt they will care too much about the Europa League) it's all setup for them to go on and win. I know they only played Fulham, but to win 5-0 there isn't bad at all. Plus a lot of people seem to overlook the fact they had injuries to some key players and since they've returned they've looked a different side again, in particular with Wellbeck.

Think the league is just pretty open, and it's so much better for it. Nothing would bore me more than 2 teams 20+ points above everyone every season.
kurtsimonw
Only just got home to see the other scores, 5-0 at Fulham!?

And well played Albrighton, giving the £20,000 he got from scoring the 20,000th EPL to to Acorns.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 21 2011, 11:07 PM) *
Only just got home to see the other scores, 5-0 at Fulham!?

And well played Albrighton, giving the £20,000 he got from scoring the 20,000th EPL to to Acorns.

Yeah, Sky said Barclays were giving 20k to the scorers choice of charity, which is good of them.
Jack Sparrow
Speaking of charity..can Man City declare Tevez to be a charity case? At least 200k a week sounds like a good tax writeoff.
kurtsimonw
How bad are Liverpool making themselves look over the Suarez issue? How can you come out and defend him like this when he has already admitted himself to using the word. laugh.gif
Milan Are Brilliant
It's still Liverpool, though it's shocking Evra isn't getting any punishment either but there we go.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 23 2011, 07:08 AM) *
How bad are Liverpool making themselves look over the Suarez issue? How can you come out and defend him like this when he has already admitted himself to using the word. laugh.gif

What was the word?
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Dec 23 2011, 05:12 PM) *
What was the word?

+1

Tell us, I'm getting curious as I haven't followed the entire story
Jack Sparrow
Negra. Apparently it's a very common word used in South America and it doesn't really have a racist connotation culturally. By blood Suarez himself would be a 'negra'. The complete explanation
kurtsimonw
Suarez admitted to the use of the word 'negro' aimed at Evra. His defense? "There is no problem with it in Uruguay". It would make a very nice change - even outside of football - if people would come to the country and live by our rules and laws. I don't give a crap about your homelands rules.
Jack Sparrow
But Suarez himself is in Uruguay a Negra. And this is to be fair a very cultural thing, that someone who's been 9 months in the country can be forgiven for imo. A 3 match ban would be fine...an 8 matcher?!? huh.gif

And what of Evra calling him a 'sudaca'?

And if this is true..then I want all them gangsta rappers arrested for using the N-word. Why should they get away with it while I get in trouble for using the same thing?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 25 2011, 04:06 AM) *
But Suarez himself is in Uruguay a Negra. And this is to be fair a very cultural thing, that someone who's been 9 months in the country can be forgiven for imo. A 3 match ban would be fine...an 8 matcher?!? huh.gif

Are you serious? You go to another country and you should embrace the culture and accept the laws. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be here. He's been in the country a few week short of a year now too, not 9 months.

8 match ban and a fine is probably about right, for a first offense. Does it again an it should be far longer.

And what of Evra calling him a 'sudaca'?

I had not heard that and I have looked up and Evra admits to nothing.

A quick google search tells me that it means "South American" in English. Which as far as I know, is not a racial or ethnic slur in this part of the World. Otherwise calling people European, Asian, etc. would have to be deemed racist also.

Personally, I'd ban them both for being ignorant pricks and not speaking the correct language whilst in our country. If you work here, speak English. Simple.

And if this is true..then I want all them gangsta rappers arrested for using the N-word. Why should they get away with it while I get in trouble for using the same thing?

Pretty sure using a derogatory term against your own race is seen as less of an offense because, well, you're insulting yourself are you not? I'm also sure there's no intent behind it, unlike with Suarez.
Jack Sparrow
Suarez does have black blood. Theoretically then Giggs could get off with calling someone the N-word? unsure.gif

And yes South American is a considered a bad word where he is from, similar slang to calling someone a gypsy apparently.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 25 2011, 04:40 AM) *
Suarez does have black blood. Theoretically then Giggs could get off with calling someone the N-word? unsure.gif

If you believe some historians, we all do. But fact is he is not black, there's no arguing that.

Personally I don't agree with it anyway, nobody should be able to use racial slurs, even if it's an arguement between 2 members of the same ethnicity.

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 25 2011, 04:40 AM) *
And yes South American is a considered a bad word where he is from

Sorry but this frustrates me. Who gives a ****? I wish people would realise this in England, you live by English law. Calling someone South American is not racist. If he doesn't like that, he's welcome to go back home.

He is entitled to be offended, sure. But there sure as hell aint going to be anything done about it.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 23 2011, 10:08 AM) *

I condone any racist acts or the likes, as it defies the purpose of football - A game where all ethnicities find a common ground in. Furthermore, I condone the players themselves who are a role-model for us the spectators in establishing an accord, whereby collectively we rid the sport (indirectly the world) of such shallow statements.

With that said, it is new to me that the word Negro - Negrito/Negrita, is commonly used in social scenes in S. America and surprisingly is imbedded in their respective culture, unlike what we are exposed to. In that light, I don't think the player meant it as a racial slur or any of the sorts, rather it was taken out of context.

I believe Liverpool are defending the player's 'clear' intentions and not that of what it transcends to in the UK or the rest of the world for that matter.
kurtsimonw
I can understand that, but there's no need to do it with the force and defiance that they have. I don't think Suarez is actually racist by nature, but ignorance is no excuse when it comes to law.

Interesting to see how the JT issue plays out. I wasn't even aware 'black' was a racist term if I'm honest, maybe I'm ignorant to English law also.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 26 2011, 06:09 AM) *
I can understand that, but there's no need to do it with the force and defiance that they have. I don't think Suarez is actually racist by nature, but ignorance is no excuse when it comes to law.

Interesting to see how the JT issue plays out. I wasn't even aware 'black' was a racist term if I'm honest, maybe I'm ignorant to English law also.

Ok...now we can be friends again. smile.gif I still think that 8 matches is too large a punishment for the crime of ignorance. But whaddever, it's Liverpool.

As long as they don't do it to Newcastle...I'm down with that.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Dec 26 2011, 07:15 AM) *
Ok...now we can be friends again. smile.gif I still think that 8 matches is too large a punishment for the crime of ignorance. But whaddever, it's Liverpool.

As long as they don't do it to Newcastle...I'm down with that.

But question should be when United fans 'being English' chanting ignorant phrases like "scousers are thieves etc" ... Shouldn't they receive the heavy of punishments? Considering they are English and are forced to abide by their country's laws? Just saying.
Jack Sparrow
I guess...it's not racist to call people from a certain location-thieves. unsure.gif
Danny
Next time I go to another country I'll be sure to request a copy of their laws, and spend weeks poring over it with a toothcomb, with the help of my translator, and in actual fact do absolutely nothing else. Just in case I screw up somewhere.

I assume that's what folk on here who don't care about 'homeland' law will do when they go to another nation.

Or are they just hypocrites who prefer the BNP and EDF league?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Danny @ Dec 26 2011, 03:26 PM) *
Next time I go to another country I'll be sure to request a copy of their laws, and spend weeks poring over it with a toothcomb, with the help of my translator, and in actual fact do absolutely nothing else. Just in case I screw up somewhere.

I assume that's what folk on here who don't care about 'homeland' law will do when they go to another nation.

Or are they just hypocrites who prefer the BNP and EDF league?

So now foreigners being punished by UK law makes us BNP members? laugh.gif

This is exactly what is wrong with the country at the moment. Enforce laws against foreigners and you're a racist. What a ridiculous thing to say.

As for your first comment, I hope that's what you do anyway. Why shouldn't we live by the laws of another country? It's damn respectful not to. Going to other countries and expecting them to bend to your culture and laws is a disgrace in my opinion.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 26 2011, 04:14 PM) *
So now foreigners being punished by UK law makes us BNP members? laugh.gif

This is exactly what is wrong with the country at the moment. Enforce laws against foreigners and you're a racist. What a ridiculous thing to say.

As for your first comment, I hope that's what you do anyway. Why shouldn't we live by the laws of another country? It's damn respectful not to. Going to other countries and expecting them to bend to your culture and laws is a disgrace in my opinion.

I agree. But being punished for a cultural mistake isn't.
kurtsimonw
He's being punished for ignorance.
kurtsimonw
City and Liverpool with poor results today.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 26 2011, 04:57 PM) *
He's being punished for ignorance.

So after less than a year in the UK he's supposed to know every interpretation of every word he could ever say?

You're being unreasonable.

I don't condone racism, but common sense must also be applied in cases where offence was not intended due to cultural barriers.
kurtsimonw
As I said, ignorance. Had it just been accepted and he apologised then fine. But the stance he has taken in "It's ok to say where I'm from so I don't think I've done anything wrong" is unacceptable. It seems like Mr Suarez is refusing to accept our culture and laws, yet expects us to let him off based on culture and laws that have little relevance here. It's a baffling defines that's making him and the club look stupid in my opinion.
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 26 2011, 09:46 PM) *
As I said, ignorance. Had it just been accepted and he apologised then fine. But the stance he has taken in "It's ok to say where I'm from so I don't think I've done anything wrong" is unacceptable. It seems like Mr Suarez is refusing to accept our culture and laws, yet expects us to let him off based on culture and laws that have little relevance here. It's a baffling defines that's making him and the club look stupid in my opinion.

But wouldn't admitting that he was wrong mean that he's also admitting to the racial slur? Which was not his initial intent. I think what he's doing is right. Admitting you are wrong would mean that he was wrong in racially abusing Evra, which was not what he was doing at all.

I don't buy what you are saying, it's unfair, who are you to say that he should do this and that simply because he's living in a foreign country?
kurtsimonw
Excellent point at Stoke. Got forward and played well the last few games. Defensive masterclass as well today.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 26 2011, 09:37 PM) *
But wouldn't admitting that he was wrong mean that he's also admitting to the racial slur?

He did admit to the racial slur.. huh.gif

Admitting you are wrong would mean that he was wrong in racially abusing Evra, which was not what he was doing at all.

But, by law, he is wrong. As I said before, if he came out and said "I admit calling Evra a negro, but I thought nothing of it as it is okay to call people this in Uruguay. I understand this is not acceptable in England, so I apologise." Then I think people would have just said, fair play. But this whole "Wah, wah, why should I have to live by English rules" attitude he's came out with is why he and the club are looking stupid.

I don't buy what you are saying, it's unfair, who are you to say that he should do this and that simply because he's living in a foreign country?

Sorry han, I think you are a good poster, but this is total ******** and screams of ignorance on your part also.

Suarez has to do "this and that" because he's living in this fucking country! I'm not exactly asking him to do anything ridiculous am I? I'm saying he should live by the rules and laws that EVERYONE that lives in England has to for **** sake. Is it so disrespectful that he is treated the same as me or Ash or anyone else here?

I find it very amusing on the whole. A foreigner comes to England, calls someone a racial slur and gets defended. Imagine a Brit or American going to Asia or something and accidently saying something insulting there and demanding he has no punishment because it's ok to say such a thing in the Western World. The World's media would have a field day. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 26 2011, 10:52 PM) *
He did admit to the racial slur.. huh.gif

But, by law, he is wrong. As I said before, if he came out and said "I admit calling Evra a negro, but I thought nothing of it as it is okay to call people this in Uruguay. I understand this is not acceptable in England, so I apologise." Then I think people would have just said, fair play. But this whole "Wah, wah, why should I have to live by English rules" attitude he's came out with is why he and the club are looking stupid.

Sorry han, I think you are a good poster, but this is total ******** and screams of ignorance on your part also.

Suarez has to do "this and that" because he's living in this fucking country! I'm not exactly asking him to do anything ridiculous am I? I'm saying he should live by the rules and laws that EVERYONE that lives in England has to for **** sake. Is it so disrespectful that he is treated the same as me or Ash or anyone else here?

I find it very amusing on the whole. A foreigner comes to England, calls someone a racial slur and gets defended. Imagine a Brit or American going to Asia or something and accidently saying something insulting there and demanding he has no punishment because it's ok to say such a thing in the Western World. The World's media would have a field day. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I mentioned that because you also mentioned that he should be speaking English because he's working in England. Come on! It's not like we are saying he should kill someone if that is allowed in his country!! Would I expect you to speak /Maltese if you were living and working in Malta? No, I would probably speak to you in English to accomodate you. I know it's a very simple way of viewing it, but you brought this point up. I think it's very selfish.

Yes he was wrong in calling Evra that in our views, because that is what we believe, but he did not call him that as an insult and that is what matters to him, thus his stand to defend himself. Why are Liverpool backing him up? Maybe it's because he's their player so they have to stand by him. Do you see Chelsea condemning Terry? And he's English so he is the one who should know better than anyone else, rather than someone who's only been in the country for a year.

Also, yes he admitted to saying the word, but he didn't admit to it being a racial slur against Evra, and that is the entire point of it. Fair enough the point you made, he could have been more gracious and said what you did, but these are arrogant pr!cks! All of them not just Suarez., he'll most likely continue to insist tht he did nothing wrong no matter what punishment he is slapped with, simply because that is his belief, no matter what country he lives in, so he'll accept the punishment before admitting any wrong doing
han2503
I just want to add a disclaimer to that:

I'm not defending him, but I think you're being waaay too unreasonable in this matter. I was determined to stay out of it but some of your points just pushed me into posting. I'm merely being the devil's advocate in the issue, because you're painting it in a black and white manner, when it's simply not as simple as that
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 26 2011, 10:05 PM) *
but he did not call him that as an insult and that is what matters to him, thus his stand to defend himself..

So why not say what I previously said? Say you didn't intend to be racist, but that you understand that it's a word that can not be used here, rather than acting like he should go completely unpunished?

I find it very hard to believe that someone who has lived in Europe for over 5 years doesn't understand the negative connotations associated with the word. I'm pretty sure the majority of people know the poor use of the word in most parts of the World.

He is either very uneducated or ignorant, or even both. Neither are a good defense.

QUOTE (han2503 @ Dec 26 2011, 10:05 PM) *
Do you see Chelsea condemning Terry? And he's English so he is the one who should know better than anyone else, rather than someone who's only been in the country for a year.

Maybe because Terry said the word 'black'? That's not racist. If Terry gets banned, it should be for using the C word, not 'black'. Otherwise you'd have to start banning the use of the word 'white' or 'Asian', etc.

On the subject of Liverpool, read this on twitter.

"Liverpool are going to appeal the own goal from Charlie Adam today, claiming that own goals don't count in his home country" laugh.gif
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 26 2011, 11:22 PM) *
So why not say what I previously said? Say you didn't intend to be racist, but that you understand that it's a word that can not be used here, rather than acting like he should go completely unpunished?

I find it very hard to believe that someone who has lived in Europe for over 5 years doesn't understand the negative connotations associated with the word. I'm pretty sure the majority of people know the poor use of the word in most parts of the World.

He is either very uneducated or ignorant, or even both. Neither are a good defense.

Maybe because Terry said the word 'black'? That's not racist. If Terry gets banned, it should be for using the C word, not 'black'. Otherwise you'd have to start banning the use of the word 'white' or 'Asian', etc.

On the subject of Liverpool, read this on twitter.

"Liverpool are going to appeal the own goal from Charlie Adam today, claiming that own goals don't count in his home country" laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure he understands how it is perceived in Europe and personally I do believe that he meant it as an insult. That is what I believe.

However, with that being said, I'm just saying that he's taken a stand using his own cultural beliefs to hide behind them. That is not ignorance, he's merely trying to defend himself so he won't admit to doing something wrong. So you really believe that he does not know what the meaning of that is? No matter how it is used in his country. They exchanged heated words, I'm sure he didn't say negro as an alternative to the word mate rolleyes.gif That would be a very naive view of things.

Like I said, I'm not defending him, I'm mostly questioning what you are saying as I find it way OTT.

As for Terry, I find calling out someone by the colour of their skin as a form of insult still racial abuse. No you don't here someone calling a white person "you white ****", this is mostly used for people who are black. Saying someone is black as a general observation is not a ratial insult no, but using the colour of someone's skin to insult them is a racial slur in my book.
Danny
tbh, I just remembered something. Kurt already hated Suarez, so would never concede anything reasonable in defence of him.

You're wasting your time Han.
kurtsimonw
I'll ignore the attack on my character and point out that I hate Evra far more than I dislike Suarez.
I_Rossoneri
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Dec 26 2011, 11:47 AM) *
But question should be when United fans 'being English' chanting ignorant phrases like "scousers are thieves etc" ... Shouldn't they receive the heavy of punishments? Considering they are English and are forced to abide by their country's laws? Just saying.

That is a very good point and still hasn't been answered.
kurtsimonw
Is racism actually being compared with a stereotypical joke now? blink.gif

The reason no issue is made of it is because 1) the term 'Scouser' is not offensive to Liverpudlians. 2) calling someone a thief is not a crime.
kurtsimonw
"he is 6 points ahead of Hodgson when he left. Only kKenny has spent 100m. 100m for 6 extra points? Not good enough."

That's an incredible stat. Liverpool fans hated Hodgson, yet it's clear Kenny is doing much better and they love him. They're like Newcastle fans, so deluded it's unreal.
Milan Are Brilliant
In my opinion, entry to a country (certainly permanently) should come with some sort of test on the language, certainly verbally. Now I'm not being selfish and saying that just for England, I mean if I wanted to move to say France I'd expect to be expected to have some sort of interest in learning and picking up the language in accordance with the visa I'm on. I don't think that's too much to ask, in terms of that point.

This isn't about someone hating Suarez to be honest. I could say the same thing about a number of posters with United and use that as a defense. The only thing I'd suggest is Evra be investigated too as I've heard numerous reports suggesting he verbally 'retaliated'.

-------

Went to Torquay on Boxing Day, got a 1-0 win over Swindon, excellent. Even better Di Canio was throwing all the toys out the pram.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 28 2011, 12:08 PM) *
The only thing I'd suggest is Evra be investigated too as I've heard numerous reports suggesting he verbally 'retaliated'.

Apparently the term he used was 'sudaca' though. Which translates to 'South American', which is not racist here. Suarez has a right to be offended or insulted if the word is considered bad in his homeland, but he shouldn't expect punishment for Evra as there's nothing wrong with it here in England.

It's quite funny though really. He says he shouldn't get punished for saying 'negro', because it's fine in Uruguay. Yet he wants Evra to get punished for saying 'sudaca' which I'm assuming - like in England - is not offensive in France. He wants Evra to be punished for the same defense he's using, it's absurd.

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 28 2011, 12:08 PM) *
Went to Torquay on Boxing Day, got a 1-0 win over Swindon, excellent. Even better Di Canio was throwing all the toys out the pram.

Di Canio is great entertainment value though. biggrin.gif

In my opinion, entry to a country (certainly permanently) should come with some sort of test on the language, certainly verbally. Now I'm not being selfish and saying that just for England, I mean if I wanted to move to say France I'd expect to be expected to have some sort of interest in learning and picking up the language in accordance with the visa I'm on. I don't think that's too much to ask, in terms of that point.

Agreed completely.

My reasoning for it would be to give foreigners a defense and a better case in situations like the Suarez incident. If you speak in English, nothing will get lost in translation. Once you start speaking in a foriegn language, things can be taken out of context or misunderstood.

At the end of the day, football is a job and the pitch is your workplace. All conversations should be in English anyways so the referees can keep a tab on what is being said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.