Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [EN] Premier League 07/08
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74
Portman
All the English Premier League 2007/08 talk here!
dst
Go Villa! With the Gooners not producing the football that made me like them I think I'll start rooting for Kurt's team! Just so he won't feel alone... tongue.gif
misha
Go City!! Show who are the real force in Birmingham!! Aston Villa for relegation biggrin.gif
dst
QUOTE (mishale @ Jun 18 2007, 08:56 PM)
Go City!! Show who are the real force in Birmingham!!  Aston Villa for relegation biggrin.gif

Are you testing me!???

realmad.gif
misha
biggrin.gif Yes. Opposition.

I wanted some team to support in England and now I found one. Go Blues!! smile.gif
Jack Sparrow
uhmm...I'm a bundle of paradoxes....

My teams are

Newcastle(for old time's sake...but i do hate Sam Allardyce and his anti-football, he'll destroy everything Newcastle stand for. Why oh why couldn't they nail Juande Ramos!!)

Aston Villa(for Kurt's sake...and coz of M.O.N and his 4-3-3, though I'm not convinced they can do better than 7th next season)

Sunderland( What a Roy Keane...this guy is doing off the pitch what he used to do on it, dragging his team kicking and screaming to the top...and I know they are derby rivals with the magpies)

Arsenal(They play by far, the best looking football, with RVP back in form and fitness and providing they get a great replacement for Henry if he leaves, say Torres, I still think with a little luck they can do a top 3)
Portman
QUOTE (mishale @ Jun 18 2007, 07:05 PM)

I wanted some team to support in England and now I found one. Go Blues!! smile.gif

HAHA. You glory-hunter! biggrin.gif

Their take-over would be complete in some weeks I believe. Not sure about the guy behind. Some say it would be the Indian... others say it will be a Honk Kong business man.
dst
QUOTE (mishale @ Jun 18 2007, 09:05 PM)

Your pathetic team's badge features a post-Armageddon Earth and a volleyball! Get outta here!! mad.gif
misha
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 18 2007, 09:11 PM)
HAHA. You glory-hunter!  biggrin.gif

Their take-over would be complete in some weeks I believe. Not sure about the guy behind. Some say it would be the Indian... others say it will be a Honk Kong business man.

biggrin.gif After the 100 year curse they deserve it!! Honestly, I started to piss kurt and dst, but I might stick with it. Villa who? smile.gif
Portman
-Manchester United (Arrogant bast*rds. Always arrogants.)
-Arsenal (Not the club it self... but the French-connection.)

So... go Chelsea, go Liverpool, go Spurs... any other club. Just make sure the 2 above don't win the EPL this year. cool.gif
Tennie
I'm generally indifferent to the EPL, but if I must pick a favourite team, I think I'll pick Spurs. They're entertaining.
Jack Sparrow
Well Tennie, ur gonna have a problem with Locke then.
dst
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 18 2007, 09:17 PM)
-Manchester United (Arrogant bast*rds. Always arrogants.)

A Real Madrid admirer/fan talking about arrogance... rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 18 2007, 09:17 PM)
go Liverpool

puke.gif

You will all taste the wrath of Aston Villa! We are Prepared this time around... whatever that means! mad.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (Tennie @ Jun 18 2007, 09:19 PM)
I'm generally indifferent to the EPL, but if I must pick a favourite team, I think I'll pick Spurs. They're entertaining.

I couldn't care less myself... it's the only league I watch with no passion.
Portman
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 18 2007, 07:21 PM)
A Real Madrid admirer/fan talking about arrogance...  rolleyes.gif

I think this guys are even more arrogant TBH.

I mean, Madrid have a reason to be arrogant: historically they're the best in Europe (9 CL) and at home (30 titles).

But United? 2 CL (as many as Benfica or Porto) and 16 titles (behind Liverpool)? Cvnts.
Jack Sparrow
The League I watch with no passion? Hmm..I'd guess Bundesliga...no I do have a small affection for Stuttgart....

Not Portuguese football...coz I don't watch it and I'd like Benfica too much.

But I'd guess the Spanish League. I haven't watched Sevilla play enough to be their fanboy. I just appreciate what they do with what they've got. And I do like some of their attacking moves. And as for Real and Barca well the proverbial rock and a very hard place.
Tennie
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 18 2007, 02:20 PM)
Well Tennie, ur gonna have a problem with Locke then.

And with the other football fan in my department at work who's a big Gunners fan and has a Bergkamp poster in his office!

Nothing like a little friendly rivalry, is there? devilsmiley.gif
Jack Sparrow
Well if u wanna pick a fight with a Bergkamp fan...we have the Greek mathematician here...

hmm Mathematician versus Linguist...sounds like we should start a milanfan.com poll.
dst
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jun 18 2007, 09:33 PM)
And with the other football fan in my department at work who's a big Gunners fan and has a Bergkamp poster in his office!

I like your friend already!! smile.gif

Yeah, yeah... I know! rolleyes.gif dry.gif
Tennie
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 18 2007, 02:35 PM)
Well if u wanna pick a fight with a Bergkamp fan...we have the Greek mathematician here...

hmm Mathematician versus Linguist...sounds like we should start a milanfan.com poll.

Can the winner keep Nesta? innocent.gif
Jack Sparrow
^^^^
laugh.gif Only if the loser agrees to keep his wife. tongue.gif
dst
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 18 2007, 09:40 PM)
^^^^
laugh.gif Only if the loser agrees to keep his wife. tongue.gif

Sorry Tennie... I would normally let you have Nesta but under these circumstances, I'm going to fight for him!

*is scared of his wife*
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jun 18 2007, 07:33 PM)

Nothing like a little friendly rivalry, is there?  devilsmiley.gif

FEAR ME!!!
I'm taken aback here, is there another Bergkamp fan here??? ohmy.gif
dst
QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Jun 18 2007, 11:13 PM)
I'm taken aback here, is there another Bergkamp fan here??? ohmy.gif

A die-hard one. You're talking to him right now!!! cool.gif biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Jun 18 2007, 05:52 PM)
Go Villa! With the Gooners not producing the football that made me like them I think I'll start rooting for Kurt's team! Just so he won't feel alone... tongue.gif

Thank you. smile.gif
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 18 2007, 06:09 PM)
Aston Villa(for Kurt's sake...and coz of M.O.N and his 4-3-3, though I'm not convinced they can do better than 7th next season)

Thank you. smile.gif
QUOTE (mishale @ Jun 18 2007, 05:56 PM)
Go City!! Show who are the real force in Birmingham!!  Aston Villa for relegation biggrin.gif

Go to hell. tongue.gif

You'll jump ships at christmas, when they're bottom of the league. wink.gif

Anyways as for my predictions. It's too early to tell because the transfer window is a long way from closing. But..

Top 7 (Possible European places) (In Order. Yes, make the most of your last CL campaign Gooners)
Chelsea
United
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton
Villa

Relegated
Boro
Wigan
Derby
misha
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 18 2007, 11:30 PM)
You'll jump ships at christmas, when they're bottom of the league.  wink.gif

City all the way. With that Indian guy we will start building an empire. biggrin.gif
Rossoneri7
Tottenham ... I think they are the most annoying team in the EPL .. They piss every other team off tongue.gif

I like em biggrin.gif
misha
Goal.com Profile: Tal Ben Haim

Following the versatile defender's 'dream' move from Bolton Wanderers to Chelsea, Goal.com profiles the Israel captain as he prepares for a campaign with one of the Premiership's 'Big Four' - a club he claims any player in the world would want to play for...

Tal Ben Haim was born on 31st March 1982 in Rishon LeZion, Israel.  He started his professional career with Maccabi Tel Aviv, whom he joined in 1998. Ben Haim rose through the ranks at the Israeli giants, breaking into the first-team and playing a key role as Maccabi won the Ligat ha'Al championship in 2002-03. Having made himself an automatic selection at the back, his progress attracted the attention of English clubs and he was invited for a trial by Aston Villa. However, then-Villa boss David O'Leary was not convinced he'd make the grade in the Premiership. Sam Allardyce was less cautious and, following a two-week trial with Bolton Wanderers in the summer of 2004, Ben Haim joined the Trotters on a three-year contract for a fee thought to be around £150,000.  He had made almost 150 League appearances for Maccabi Tel Aviv.

While Allardyce thought Haim would not be ready for the demands of the Premier League immediately, he had confidence that, in time, the defender would make as much of an impact on English football as his compatriot Eyal Berkovic, who represented (sometimes controversially) Southampton, West Ham, Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City and Portsmouth, a well as Celtic in Scotland.

Having been given that vote of confidence by Allardyce, Ben Hain went on to prove his manager wrong regarding timing, making 27 Premiership appearances in his debut season at The Reebok Stadium, and scoring his first goal for the Trotters in a 3-1 home victory against Tottenham Hotspur.

In October of the following campaign, Ben Haim was given the captain's arm-band by Allardyce in a Uefa Cup tie in Istanbul against Beşiktaş, His leadership of the team was praised by the regular skipper, Nigerian play-maker Jay Jay Okocha.

Claims To Fame

In his first season with Bolton, Ben Haim was involved in a clash with Manchester United's Wayne Rooney. The England striker appeared to shove Ben Haim in the face, and the Israeli was deemed to have exaggerated the incident and gone down too easily. He was charged with improper conduct by the Football Association, but later cleared of the charge.

Meanwhile, Ben Haim's solidity and versatility in the Bolton defence - he is equally comfortable playing at full-back or centre-back - was not only impressing Allardyce but also prompting other clubs to cast envious glances in the direction of The Reebok.  Among them three London-based Premiership rivals: Chelsea, West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho reportedly made an enquiry about Ben Haim 's availability in December 2005 after the Israeli turned in a superb display against the then champions. Bolton responded unequivocally, stating that he was not for sale at any price. However, just over a year later Chelsea renewed their interest in the January 2007 transfer window, when injuries to John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho had left the Blues exposed defensively. But no transfer occurred, mainly because Chelsea thought Bolton`s asking price was too high. The Blues wanted to pay no more than a nominal fee for a player who would be a free agent in just six months' time.

Those six months having passed, Ben Haim's contract with Bolton had expired and his future there was in the balance. Chelsea were duly back in the frame, along with Newcastle United, who were now managed by Haim's ex-Bolton boss Allardyce.

Despite Allardyce's charms, Newcastle's prospectus was clearly less appealing to Ben Haim than Chelsea's, because on 14th June 2007, the Blues officially announced the signing of the player on a ‘Bosman’ free transfer after he had passed his medical at Stamford Bridge and agreed personal terms on a four-year contract. Those terms are said to be worth £13 million - or £60,000 per week - to the Israeli international, reputedly some five times what he was on at Bolton.

Not surprisingly, Ben Haim was delighted. He told the media: "I'm very happy to fulfill my dream and sign for Chelsea. I feel fantastic to be part of this amazing club and I'm looking forward to start. I'm very excited about the first games in the Champions League. If you ask every player, they want to play for Chelsea. It's one of the best teams in the world so I'm very happy to be part of that. I am very happy to join one of the best clubs in the world. I needed a new challenge. I will play in any position Jose Mourinho wants me to play."

Ben Haim left Bolton having made 110 competitive first-team appearances for the club.

Technical Skills

Tal Ben Haim is an athletic centre-back who can play at right-back equally well. He is a composed performer at the heart of the defence - something Chelsea will welcome given their weaknesses in that area last season. He is a confident player noted for his strength and aerial ability.  However, at Chelsea he is likely to be a substitute for starting defenders John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho, so he may find himself a well-paid bench-warmer , at least initially.

Club Career - League Appearances (Goals)
1998-2004  Maccabi Tel Aviv 147 (2)
2004-05 Bolton Wanderers 21 (1)
2005-06 Bolton Wanderers 35
2006-07 Bolton Wanderers 32  Total: 88 (1)

National Team

Ben Haim has been a regular for the Israeli national team since making his debut in 1998. He has been a key figure in Israel's improvement in recent years, including their strong challenge to qualify for the 2008 European Championship finals in Austria & Switzerland.

To date he has won 22 caps for his country, and has recently captained the side.

During the Israel-France match in the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign, French striker David Trezeguet took exception to a tackle from Ben Haim and head-butted the Israeli, earning himself a red card as a result. Israel went on to draw the game 1-1 against ten-man France.

Did You Know?

- Ben Haim's transfer from Maccabi to Bolton Wanderers in July 2004 is one of those about which Lord Stevens' Quest inquiry in June 2007 expressed concerns. Stevens perceived an apparent conflict of interest between agent Craig Allardyce, his father Sam Allardyce - then manager at Bolton - and Wanderers themselves.

- Tal means Dew in Hebrew. Literally, Ben Haim means Son of Life. However, the Hebrew word "Ben" also has several borrowed meanings, such as "one who has", or "one who belongs to". His name can therefore be interpreted in English as meaning "Belongs to Life", or "Has the virtue of living".

- At the end of the week in which he joined Chelsea, Tal Ben Haim married Michal Hemo in Israel. Wedding guests were rumoured to include several Premiership footballers.

- Israeli performer and celebrity Uri Geller, who claims to have psychic powers and demonstrates paranormal and psychokinetic feats, regards Tal Ben Haim as a friend and claims some credit for the player's increased confidence since arriving in the Premiership. After Haim captained Bolton, Geller said on his personal website: "I have been proud to coach Tal with positive thinking sessions, using the power of his mind to bring his body to new heights of athleticism." Haim was quoted as telling a reporter: "The conversations with Uri help me enormously. He persuades me to believe in myself and other things that may help my game with Bolton and Israel. I feel confident every time I go on to the pitch."

- Sam Allardyce was disappointed not to win the race for his former defender's signature when the player left Bolton. But he said: "We have had a long, hard go, but I think the lure of the [former] champions has perhaps just pipped me at the post. I'm sad I can't bring him here and work with him again. I like the lad an awful lot and we know each other really well. But, like I said, the lure of Chelsea is a big one."  Allardyce added: "He wants to play in the Champions League. He is not afraid of competition and believes he can gain a place with the [Chelsea] first team." The player himself admitted it was not easy to reject Big Sam`s overtures. "It was hard to turn down Newcastle because Sam Allardyce helped me take my first steps in English football, which I will never forget."

- Ben Haim's arrival at Chelsea is said to reflect, in part, the influence of his fellow Israeli Avram Grant, currently at Portsmouth, who is due to become Chelsea's new director of football after forging a strong relationship with the Blues' owner, Roman Abramovich - from whose private box at Wembley Grant watched Chelsea's FA Cup triumph in May. Grant, the former coach of the Israeli national team, has long been a champion of Ben Haim's cause. 

Particulars:

Name: Tal Ben Haim

Date & Place of Birth / Age: 31st March 1982, Rishon Lezion / 25

Nationality: Israeli

Height: 1.80m

Weight: 74kg

Role: Centre-back of full-back
Rossoneri7
Rijkaard To Resign, Barcelona Chasing Wenger - Report

The Sun are sensationally claiming that Barcelona have been speaking with Arsene Wenger, not about Thierry Henry, but about signing the coach himself.

The report insists that Frank Rijkaard is set to step down as Barcelona coach following Real Madrid's title triumph on Sunday evening.

Many in the Barcelona camp believe that the Dutchman's limitations have been exposed this season, in the absence of former assistant Henk Ten Cate, who used to work closely with the players, and was also considered to be the tactical expert.

Rijkaard's hold on the squad is said to have slipped since Ten Cate's departure for Ajax, and his tactics have also come under scrutiny.

While Joan Laporta continues to publicly back him, The Sun insist that he will quit following the rather embarrassing collapse in the title race.

They also suggest that "the Spanish giants have made Arsenal boss Wenger their No 1 target to replace him."

'Senior sources' at the Camp Nou have supposedly claimed that talks are underway to bring him to the Camp Nou.

There was a meeting last week in France between Wenger and Barcelona vice president Ferran Soriano, which multiple reports had suggested was to discuss Thierry Henry's future.

The report insists it was not about Henry, but the coach himself.

Wenger has insisted he will see out the final year of his contract at Arsenal, but refused to sign a new deal. He is known to be very frustrated with the lack of funds to challenge for the big players, and David Dein's departure, and Barcelona are looking to hand him a blank cheque if he takes charge.

Should Wenger move, it will, needless to say, facilitate Thierry Henry's move to Barcelona as well. Cesc Fabregas is another player who has publicly pledged his loyalty to Wenger, and not Arsenal.

Goal.com
Rossoneri7
Again ... Where would Arsenal be without Wenger ?? He might stay on this season, but what of next season rolleyes.gif
kurtsimonw
Wow. If Arsene goes there. Arsenal have 0% chance of keeping Henry. He'll be joining him at the Nou Camp.

Gutted. laugh.gif
Tennie
Interesting news, but....it's the SUN reporting it. Not exactly the most reliable of sources.
agenth
In a new interview for the Official Chelsea Magazine, when talking about the pre-season Jose says the following :

"Also maybe we will have a couple of South American players and becuase the South American Cup is played in June and we have a Brazilian like we will probably have in Alex, he cannot start pre-season".

if thats true they have got one hell of a back four...
Portman
QUOTE (mchanna @ Jun 19 2007, 10:39 AM)
if thats true they have got one hell of a back four...

Yup. No more problems on that.
Locke Lamora
As for Henry, I'm starting to get nervous about him.
He seems unable to decide, but if he wants to leave, then I just have to thank him for all his goals and wish him good luck.
When it comes to Wenger I KNOW that hel'l finish his contract, but after that, it will depend on next seasons results.
If Wenger leaves, we need someone like...Hiddink. Or Scolari.

As for the coincidence that said Spurs would finish above Arsenal... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jun 19 2007, 09:41 AM)
Interesting news, but....it's the SUN reporting it. Not exactly the most reliable of sources.

Not saying it's reliable, but when Arsene finally leaves Arsenal ... I doubt they will be a top 4 team in England rolleyes.gif - He, above all, is the main reason in keeping them in contention.
KillerMax
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jun 19 2007, 10:01 AM)
Not saying it's reliable, but when Arsene finally leaves Arsenal ... I doubt they will be a top 4 team in England rolleyes.gif - He, above all, is the main reason in keeping them in contention.

He needs to bring in some experienced players with leadership if he is to win anything next season. Players like Campbell, Viera, Bergkamp and Pires provided that before and now all of the are gone in a very short span of time. Of course the team will stumble. They need to start looking for holes and fill them now! But Wenger loves his young players, doesn't he... rolleyes.gif
Portman
Chelsea Win Malouda Race - Report 

Chelsea have reportedly won the race to sign Florent Malouda from French champions Lyon.

The French winger has seemed destined to be leaving Lyon this summer with the Premiership his most likely destination, but it had been felt that Liverpool were the frontrunners for his signature.

However, it has now emerged that FA Cup winners Chelsea have beaten Rafael Benitez's side to sign the 28-year-old, according to French radio station RMC.

As part of the deal Lassana Diarra will move in the oppostie direction on loan.

Malouda had said earlier this summer: "Liverpool and Chelsea have shown their interest. I don't know how it's going to end but in my head I'm going to leave (Lyon)."

He added: "At Chelsea there is Didier Drogba, as well as everybody else, but then at Liverpool, they have such a good coach and the team has played in two Champions League finals in three years.

"The most important thing for me will be the desire shown by the club. To go and play abroad, you really need to be wanted."

Jose Mourinho has been busy this summer having already signed Steve Sidwell, Claudio Pizarro and Tal Ben Haim - all of which have arrived on a free transfer, whereas Malouda will cost roughly £17m.

Am I the only one who thinks Robben is on his way out of Chelsea if this is confirmed? rolleyes.gif
Tennie
Adios, Arjen. (Isn't he on Calderon's shopping list?)
Portman
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jun 19 2007, 11:33 PM)
Adios, Arjen. (Isn't he on Calderon's shopping list?)

Yes. Robben is one of Calderon dreams. One week ago he said he was in talks with Robben-agent for his transfer.
1 day after Robben-agent denied any talks with Madrid and said Chelsea wanted to renew with him.

With Malouda and Joe Cole that can play in the center-left... in Mourinho's favourite tactic: 4-4-2 diamond... Robben only plays in the LW... a pure LW. rolleyes.gif

And without Kaka' and Cristiano this Summer, Robben could be their main-target as the best LW in the world and still young (23). Makes people think.
misha
^^That might happen. Robben don't accept bench quietly and he's injury prone. With Malouda and Joe Cole on their team Chelsea can squeeze excessive sum from Madrid.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 20 2007, 01:28 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks Robben is on his way out of Chelsea if this is confirmed?  rolleyes.gif

And he will go to Madrid, as he is one of the players Calderon promised rolleyes.gif

EDIT: just read ur above post tongue.gif

But yeah .. I believe Robben will move to Madrid, no questions asked wink.gif
Portman
QUOTE (mishale @ Jun 20 2007, 12:02 AM)
^^That might happen. Robben don't accept bench quietly and he's injury prone. With Malouda and Joe Cole on their team Chelsea can squeeze excessive sum from Madrid.

I think the Premiership is "too agressive" for a guy like Robben and all his problems. TBH I think he would fit better in La Liga with his speed and tecnique.

Just like Ronaldinho... if he signed for a Premiership club... he'd get "killed" in 2 matches... 3 months out. rolleyes.gif
misha
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 20 2007, 03:00 AM)
I think the Premiership is "too agressive" for a guy like Robben and all his problems. TBH I think he would fit better in La Liga with his speed and tecnique.

Yeah, I agree. In La Liga he could express himself much better.
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 20 2007, 03:00 AM)
Just like Ronaldinho... if he signed for a Premiership club... he'd get "killed" in 2 matches... 3 months out.  rolleyes.gif

Remember R99 at Inter. The defenders were killing him. He had one long term injury after another biggrin.gif
Portman
EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool Officials In Madrid For Torres 

Goal.com can reveal that Liverpool officials are in Madrid to complete the transfer of Fernando Torres.

The big money signings that the new Liverpool owners have been promising might finally become a reality.

George Gillett had insisted on Monday evening that he was ready for Liverpool's "phase two": the signing of new players after securing key ones to improved contracts, and there have been definite movements.

They have been tracking Fernando Torres for a while, and have now stepped up their efforts.

The Reds are looking to make their mark this summer, and a team has travelled to Madrid, we can confirm.

The objective is to finalise the transfer of the Atleti skipper, and today itself if possible.

Torres, 23, has scored 14 goals in what has been a very moderate season, one in which the club have collectively struggled.

After having his buy-out clause reduced to 40 million euros last summer, he is now ready to make the jump to a bigger club.

An earlier bid (from another club) in the region of 30 million euros fell just short of expectations, and we believe that Liverpool will offer players as a part of the deal, in order to bring down the price. Luis Garcia - who played at Atletico Madrid before Barcelona - is supposedly the player who has been offered.

The midfielder had an absolutely stunning season at the Vicente Calderon in 2002-03, when he scored 9 goals in 30 games in addition to setting up many, and still has admirers at the club.

It is being seen by many as a trip similar to Carlos Quieroz's to Portugal, when Manchester United set the transfer marked on fire. At the very least, the objective is similar, to tell other clubs, and as much their own fans, that they mean business!

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=332509

I heard some rumours yesterday but now... it gets more and more over the web.

Time for Liverpool, FINALLY, get a world-class #9? rolleyes.gif
kurtsimonw
Aston Villa are reportedly planning a £15million swoop for Villarreal striker Diego Forlan.

According to Birmingham Mail, Villa boss Martin O'Neill is set make the 28-year-old Uruguay international the club record transfer offer.

Former Manchester United forward Forlan had recently revealed that he has an exit clause in his new deal at the La Liga side of around £15million. He also claimed that there was a third English side, apart from Sunderland and Liverpool, which was interested in him.

It seems that the side Forlan was referring to is Villa, who have funds at disposal with American owner Randy Lerner backing O’Neill in summer transfer market.

Forlan recently said: "It's not only Liverpool who've asked about signing me. In January I rejected a loan move to Sunderland. I also know another Premier League club is asking about my availability."

On Villa's website (In the media watch section) there's news circulating in Holland that we've contacted Ajax about Babel & Sneijder and are ready to make a £15m bid, though they want £18m for the pair, which shows they're willing to sell for the right price I suppose?

These three signings would be huge. I'm pretty sure we could get Forlan, Sneijder would be huge. Babel is okay I suppose, I wouldn't be excited by him signing.
Portman
Forlan was a zero in the EPL. rolleyes.gif
In La Liga he's one of the top but I doubt he'll make the same mistake.

Villa should go for Bent.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Porty @ Jun 20 2007, 07:59 PM)
Forlan was a zero in the EPL.  rolleyes.gif
In La Liga he's one of the top but I doubt he'll make the same mistake.

Villa should go for Bent.

Some players are different, they like to go back and prove themself to show they weren't a flop.

Bent is headed for Spurs or possibly Liverpool if it falls through.
KillerMax
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 20 2007, 01:33 PM)
Babel is okay I suppose, I wouldn't be excited by him signing.

Babel is a huge talent and is only 20. He is a winger and also a very good scorer. If Villa use wingers, he would be a great buy, although I think he suits Serie A much better.
Tennie
Maybe I'm getting nostalgic in my dotage, but Babel reminds me - a little bit, at least - of MVB. He's very good.
KillerMax
QUOTE (Tennie @ Jun 20 2007, 02:07 PM)
Maybe I'm getting nostalgic in my dotage, but Babel reminds me - a little bit, at least - of MVB. He's very good.

I don't know about that, but he keeps reminding me of the movie Babel... unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.