Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2014
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
kurtsimonw
Who's Croatia's number 2 goalie? He really has to play if they have any hope of winning a game. Pletikosa was pretty embarrassing.
han2503
Watching that penalty again, it's absolutely appaling how thw referee could have evwr called a foul there

And I'm pretty sure now that there was a foul before Oscar's goal
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 12 2014, 11:04 PM) *
Who's Croatia's number 2 goalie? He really has to play if they have any hope of winning a game. Pletikosa was pretty embarrassing.

Yep, thought he was seriously slow on both shots from Neymar and Oscar
Danny
Love the paranoia in this thread. Yeah FIFA are corrupt but it's the same people claiming Uefa favour Barca now saying FIFA favour Brazil.

Why the f*ck would it matter to FIFA who actually wins this tournament? As long as Blatter keeps paying for his votes he couldn't care less if Brazil or Belgium wins.

As for the ref, he got plenty wrong AGAINST Brazil as well. He just had a 'mare all round.
Zed.D
َA penalty on Ollic was also not given (or could be given). but those were genuine mistakes from the ref IMO. mistakes are also part of the game...
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 12 2014, 11:16 PM) *
Why the f*ck would it matter to FIFA who actually wins this tournament? As long as Blatter keeps paying for his votes he couldn't care less if Brazil or Belgium wins.

Not sure if there's some monetary aspect to it, but it's the fact that Brazil are playing at home. If they go out too quickly the people's enthusiasm would dry out.

QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 12 2014, 11:16 PM) *
As for the ref, he got plenty wrong AGAINST Brazil as well.

Didn't notice many, just a few.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jun 13 2014, 12:19 AM) *
َA penalty on Ollic was also not given (or could be given). but those were genuine mistakes from the ref IMO. mistakes are also part of the game...

That really wasn't even a foul though. You can't run across the front of someone and expect to get a penalty.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 12 2014, 10:31 PM) *
Not sure if there's some monetary aspect to it, but it's the fact that Brazil are playing at home. If they go out too quickly the people's enthusiasm would dry out.

The tickets have all been paid for in advance. The sponsors' cash is already in the pocket. TV rights have all been paid for. Just can't see any reason why, even on a financial basis, FIFA would care if Brazil go out. The cash for this tournament wasn't dependent on Brazil progressing. After all, not every match in this tournament will involve them but the stadiums will be generally speaking pretty packed I'd imagine.
Fillipo Simone
Nope, Olic made an error and stumbled.

Maybe the ref made errors against Brazil, and I think he did them on purpose, knowing the made a wrong decision earlier. Fact remains, he made some big mistakes that directed the whole game outcome.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 13 2014, 01:02 AM) *
Opinion changed after seeing more replays: Not a penalty.

I seriously couldn't believe you actually thought it was a penalty! I was scrolling down the page waiting for this. biggrin.gif
Milan Are Brilliant
Pletikosa is like a grandad falling out of his wheelchair. That aside terrible decision from the referee, no idea what he saw. Even on the TV angle straight away without replays I was of the opinion of 'no way is that a penalty'.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 13 2014, 12:02 AM) *
The tickets have all been paid for in advance. The sponsors' cash is already in the pocket. TV rights have all been paid for. Just can't see any reason why, even on a financial basis, FIFA would care if Brazil go out. The cash for this tournament wasn't dependent on Brazil progressing. After all, not every match in this tournament will involve them but the stadiums will be generally speaking pretty packed I'd imagine.

Maybe not financial then, but it's the second aspect I mentioned. Remember in 2002, how the whole country was hyped and super-excited throughout Korea's progression? Then FIFA decided they weren't suited for a final, and the referee didn't favor them against Germany.

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 13 2014, 07:31 AM) *
Even on the TV angle straight away without replays I was of the opinion of 'no way is that a penalty'.

Yep.
X-Offender

Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 13 2014, 08:29 AM) *
Maybe not financial then, but it's the second aspect I mentioned. Remember in 2002, how the whole country was hyped and super-excited throughout Korea's progression? Then FIFA decided they weren't suited for a final, and the referee didn't favor them against Germany.

Not sure I'd agree there either, he yellow carded Ballack and blocked him from appearing in the final - their star player was suspended.

Furthermore haven't you just dispelled your own theory? Sure, they're not a Brazil but they were still the host nation - surely if anything by your theory of home excitement and people's attention the focal match of the world cup, the final, would be the most perfect occasion to get the unfancied hosts there?

I think refs are just refs. Sometimes yes, maybe they have been handed a bung or two to influence a result (or ordered), and most cases of this are exposed. But 99% of the time their bad calls are just plain mortal errors.
kurtsimonw
I do think there will be a small financial benefit if Brazil continue to progress, however small that may be. But this is FIFA, they'd happily have someone die to make an extra cent.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 13 2014, 10:49 AM) *
Not sure I'd agree there either, he yellow carded Ballack and blocked him from appearing in the final - their star player was suspended.

Furthermore haven't you just dispelled your own theory? Sure, they're not a Brazil but they were still the host nation - surely if anything by your theory of home excitement and people's attention the focal match of the world cup, the final, would be the most perfect occasion to get the unfancied hosts there?

I think refs are just refs. Sometimes yes, maybe they have been handed a bung or two to influence a result (or ordered), and most cases of this are exposed. But 99% of the time their bad calls are just plain mortal errors.

Giving a yellow to Ballack didn't benefit Korea in any way.

And no, I'm not saying that FIFA were favoring Korea to win the tournament, but to make them advance as much as possible. Obviously the semis were as far as they could go. A Brazil-Korea final wouldn't have had much appeal to the rest of the world.

I don't buy it that refs simply make mistakes when they're blatantly favoring one side over the other for the entirety of the match. Maybe the referee last night was too heavily influenced by the atmosphere, but the fact that FIFA are a bunch of thugs doesn't make it sound that far-fetched if the ref was bribed before the game to accommodate the host nation.
X-Offender
Paletta to play instead of De Sciglio, with Chiellini as LB.

Source: Mediaset

Darmian-Barzagli-Paletta-Chiellini, possibly the worst Italian backline ever?
Zed.D
You never know, even Italy's worst defense ever can have a great night. but England are more likely to win I think.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 13 2014, 10:41 AM) *
Giving a yellow to Ballack didn't benefit Korea in any way.

And no, I'm not saying that FIFA were favoring Korea to win the tournament, but to make them advance as much as possible. Obviously the semis were as far as they could go. A Brazil-Korea final wouldn't have had much appeal to the rest of the world.

I'd argue the exact opposite. The biggest sponsor of Brazil 2014? Sony, a Japanese company. Biggest sponsor of the Australian Open in tennis? Kia, a Korean car company. Sponsorship from these parts of the world is the most lucrative around, and these parts of the world are the most densely populated.

It would make financial and popularity sense to have a Brazil Korea final as at least a billion Asians would tune in for it and sponsors would be encouraged for the next world cup.

I don't buy it that refs simply make mistakes when they're blatantly favoring one side over the other for the entirety of the match. Maybe the referee last night was too heavily influenced by the atmosphere, but the fact that FIFA are a bunch of thugs doesn't make it sound that far-fetched if the ref was bribed before the game to accommodate the host nation.

I just think the occasion got to him and he had a bad night all round. I agree FIFA are corrupt to the hills but for me it's at a bureaucracy level and not a football one.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 13 2014, 01:05 PM) *
I'd argue the exact opposite. The biggest sponsor of Brazil 2014? Sony, a Japanese company. Biggest sponsor of the Australian Open in tennis? Kia, a Korean car company. Sponsorship from these parts of the world is the most lucrative around, and these parts of the world are the most densely populated.

It would make financial and popularity sense to have a Brazil Korea final as at least a billion Asians would tune in for it and sponsors would be encouraged for the next world cup.

And I argue that less people all over the world would have watched the final if Korea had made it instead of Germany. And besides, these deals have already been contracted. You said it yourself. "The sponsors' cash is already in the pocket. TV rights have all been paid for". In this sense, your argument doesn't hold water.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 13 2014, 01:15 PM) *
And I argue that less people all over the world would have watched the final if Korea had made it instead of Germany. And besides, these deals have already been contracted. You said it yourself. "The sponsors' cash is already in the pocket. TV rights have all been paid for". In this sense, your argument doesn't hold water.

Population of Europe (750m) is not even that of one country in Asia. China and India together (2.5b) hold almost 4 times what Europe as an entire continent does. Add all the other Asian countries and the TV audience that would be interested in an Asian country in the final compared with the audience interested in Germany is almost painfully larger.

And with Brazil being part of a continent that has a billion in total itself that's essentially 4B+ people who would be interested in Brazil V Korea compared with the 1.7B that would be interested in Brazil Germany.

When it's pure numbers, more Asians would be interested in a final involving an Asian country than Europeans would in a European country.

We're quite Western phobic over here, thinking the world revolves around what us Westerners think, when we're totally outnumbered by the East.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 13 2014, 12:29 PM) *
Paletta to play instead of De Sciglio, with Chiellini as LB.

Source: Mediaset

Darmian-Barzagli-Paletta-Chiellini, possibly the worst Italian backline ever?

WTF?

Why? Has Abate offended Prandelli's mother or something FFS???

Why would Prandelli compromise the centre of that defence by putting Paletta in there and moving Chiellini to the left?

He was already thinking of starting Darmian, just stick Darmian on the left and play Abate on the right. It's not rocket science FFS!

Paletta, Darmian and Candreva all in the same starting line-up. England could actually win this FFS!!
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 13 2014, 04:06 PM) *
Population of Europe (750m) is not even that of one country in Asia. China and India together (2.5b) hold almost 4 times what Europe as an entire continent does. Add all the other Asian countries and the TV audience that would be interested in an Asian country in the final compared with the audience interested in Germany is almost painfully larger.

And with Brazil being part of a continent that has a billion in total itself that's essentially 4B+ people who would be interested in Brazil V Korea compared with the 1.7B that would be interested in Brazil Germany.

When it's pure numbers, more Asians would be interested in a final involving an Asian country than Europeans would in a European country.

We're quite Western phobic over here, thinking the world revolves around what us Westerners think, when we're totally outnumbered by the East.

Even if an Asian country made it to the final you really think everyone would give a damn? Just because they're from the same continent doesn't mean they all support each other. On the contrary, you've got the Japanese who dislike the Chinese and likewise. I'm pretty sure an Indonesian would prefer a Brazil-Germnay final to a Brazil-Korea final.

But really, I think you've pushed this argument in the wrong direction. The simple reason that FIFA would support Brazil is to keep the Brazilian population "busy" with excitement, them being the host nation and all. It's a matter of entertainment, not of sponsorships or TV rights.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 13 2014, 04:53 PM) *
WTF?

Why? Has Abate offended Prandelli's mother or something FFS???

Why would Prandelli compromise the centre of that defence by putting Paletta in there and moving Chiellini to the left?

He was already thinking of starting Darmian, just stick Darmian on the left and play Abate on the right. It's not rocket science FFS!

Paletta, Darmian and Candreva all in the same starting line-up. England could actually win this FFS!!

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic.
kurtsimonw
Mexico had 2 goals wrongly disallowed.

and we think European refs are bad. laugh.gif
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 13 2014, 05:35 PM) *

Yep, 2 games, 3 awful mistakes already. Bodes well for the rest of the tournament...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 13 2014, 06:44 PM) *
Yep, 2 games, 3 awful mistakes already. Bodes well for the rest of the tournament...

Could argue 4 mistakes with Croatia's disallowed goal.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 13 2014, 04:35 PM) *

I thought it was a pro Brazilian conspiracy? You're implying it's just mortal error?!
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 13 2014, 06:22 PM) *
I thought it was a pro Brazilian conspiracy? You're implying it's just mortal error?!

Come on Danny. The "mistake" in the Brazilian game was just blatant. Every 50-50 challenge went their way. Multiple fouls on Croatia players in dangerous areas not given and then the penalty and, as kurt pointed out, the disallowed goal for the Croatians, which imo was correct as Cesar had already lost out on the ball before the Croatian player (can't remember who) even touched him.

Today's mistakes were more borderline. The first was very tight but imo onside, the second was a bit more obvious but nothing as bad as a player leaning on an opposing player and sliding to the ground and earning a penalty like Fred did
Milan Are Brilliant
Least Mexico won that, Cameroon were poor + with the 2 poorly disallowed goals.

Not expecting a great watch with Spain - Netherlands. Looking forward more to Chile - Australia later.
han2503
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 13 2014, 07:03 PM) *
Least Mexico won that, Cameroon were poor + with the 2 poorly disallowed goals.

Not expecting a great watch with Spain - Netherlands. Looking forward more to Chile - Australia later.

Don't know if I will stay up for that. Chile will probably smash Australia anyway
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 13 2014, 07:22 PM) *

I know they have to because it's the "World Cup" but why have such **** refs just because they feel they have to?
Forza Milan!
WC is always interesting for my family. I am, of course, a big Azzurri fan. My wife is Korean. We live in the US and my 4 kids are born and raised here, so we all support USMNT as well. Then there is work. I work for a Japanese company (and would like to see Honda do well), and most of my team is based out of England (and I spend a fair amount of time there). I normally do not mind to see England do well, except of course this year we are in direct competition.

My prediction? USMNT will prove Klinsmann wrong and go all the way. (Or maybe not smile.gif )

More seriously, I think a South American team will win, probably Brazil (if the players are not good enough, it looks like the refs are there to help). If not Brazil, maybe Uruguay or Argentina. Of the European teams, Germany or Belgium have the best chance IMHO. Maybe Spain but they do not look as impressive as they did in the past.

Of course I would like Italy to win, but I don't see that happening.
kurtsimonw
I'd love to see the US do well, but I think Milanfan could coach a team better than Klinsmann.
kurtsimonw
Costa stands on Dutch players foot = penalty.

Jesus Christ the officiating...
Jack Bauer
My expression during all the games so far:

Jack Bauer
GREAT goal.
William405
What a goal from Van Persie!! Brilliant!
William405
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jun 13 2014, 10:02 PM) *
WC is always interesting for my family. I am, of course, a big Azzurri fan. My wife is Korean. We live in the US and my 4 kids are born and raised here, so we all support USMNT as well. Then there is work. I work for a Japanese company (and would like to see Honda do well), and most of my team is based out of England (and I spend a fair amount of time there). I normally do not mind to see England do well, except of course this year we are in direct competition.

My prediction? USMNT will prove Klinsmann wrong and go all the way. (Or maybe not smile.gif )

More seriously, I think a South American team will win, probably Brazil (if the players are not good enough, it looks like the refs are there to help). If not Brazil, maybe Uruguay or Argentina. Of the European teams, Germany or Belgium have the best chance IMHO. Maybe Spain but they do not look as impressive as they did in the past.

Of course I would like Italy to win, but I don't see that happening.

Interesting life there, mate. :cool:
William405
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 13 2014, 10:28 PM) *
Costa stands on Dutch players foot = penalty.

Jesus Christ the officiating...

Lol what? The dutch player just dived in there..you can't do that.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (William405 @ Jun 13 2014, 09:50 PM) *
Lol what? The dutch player just dived in there..you can't do that.

Yeah and made no contact with Costa, then Costa reached out to his left to stand on the Dutch player. I don't see how it's a penalty for Costa standing on the Dutch player?

Forza Milan!
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 13 2014, 09:15 PM) *
I'd love to see the US do well, but I think Milanfan could coach a team better than Klinsmann.

Donovan would probably agree with you smile.gif

Personally, I do not mind Klinsmann. (We have had worse.)
William405
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 13 2014, 10:57 PM) *
Yeah and made no contact with Costa, then Costa reached out to his left to stand on the Dutch player. I don't see how it's a penalty for Costa standing on the Dutch player?

Imo it doesn't matter who put his leg over who..there was contact and he stopped him from completing his motion..penalty.
William405
Yesssss!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (William405 @ Jun 13 2014, 10:07 PM) *
Imo it doesn't matter who put his leg over who..there was contact and he stopped him from completing his motion..penalty.

Huh? How can it not matter who makes the contact? That's the most important factor.

Awesome from Robben!
William405
Diego Costa??! What the hell?! What a bi***
Fillipo Simone
Robben? I'm still WOW-ing to Daley Blind. To brilliant crosses. Really impressed me so far.
William405
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 13 2014, 11:11 PM) *
Huh? How can it not matter who makes the contact? That's the most important factor.

Awesome from Robben!

I saw the gif just now. Yes, costa does stand on the dutch player's foot..but before that the dutch player sweeped costa's leg.
han2503
Spain about to have an Italy-like defence of the title?

As for the penalty I can't blame Rizzoli for giving that because at first glance it looked like Costa's foot was taken out from under him
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (William405 @ Jun 13 2014, 10:16 PM) *
I saw the gif just now. Yes, costa does stand on the dutch player's foot..but before that the dutch player sweeped costa's leg.

No he didn't. Go and watch the replays again. The Dutch player slides past Costa without making any contact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.