Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2014
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
acid911

Everybody amused? biggrin.gif Good show from Algeria in the first half. They did not cave in. Now whether they can turn this to their advantage in the second should be interesting. Not many teams have kept Ze Germans at 0-0 in the first half, and I am sure they will come in all firing on all cylinders in the second.
Fillipo Simone
But it's mostly Löw's doing. Why Boateng and Höwedes play fullbacks is beyond me. Lahm in the middle, no striker while Klose sits and waits. And then the sheer loser character with Özil. Nah, just a regular coach would have suffice to break those Algerians. It's just that these stupid Germans are infected with the Guardiola way of thinking.
acid911
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 1 2014, 02:59 AM) *
But it's mostly Löw's doing. Why Boateng and Höwedes play fullbacks is beyond me. Lahm in the middle, no striker while Klose sits and waits. And then the sheer loser character with Özil. Nah, just a regular coach would have suffice to break those Algerians. It's just that these stupid Germans are infected with the Guardiola way of thinking.

Can't disagree, even though I do maintain that Algeria is playing with a lot of heart. happy.gif I've been following them for close to five years now, when they had rivalry going with Egypt (still is) in the African Cup of Nations, and then they took their place in the 2010 World Cup. They played okay there too, conceding only 2 goals.

And well these Germans are not really Germans, or the Germans of old.
kurtsimonw
Kroos and Ozil haven't done a single thing right.
X-Offender
This has been by far the most exciting game in the WC that I've seen. No goals, but never a pause, and many, many scoring chances from both sides.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 30 2014, 10:48 PM) *
Kroos and Ozil haven't done a single thing right.

Agreed. Kroos especially.
X-Offender
SCHURLE!!!
kurtsimonw
What has the World of football done to be subjected to another Germany game?

Just noticed Muller got the assist, my fantasy team captain so double points! I'm in the money positions now I think. Win.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 30 2014, 10:59 PM) *
What have I done to be subjected to another Germany game?

Fixed.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 1 2014, 12:10 AM) *
Fixed.

I don't know, acid and even Fillipo who's generally very pro-German have been saying the same. They're a very boring side. Bayern are boring but have the Robben/Ribery spark.
X-Offender
If this is boring football then I wonder what you consider exciting...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 1 2014, 12:17 AM) *
If this is boring football then I wonder what you consider exciting...

I think the game itself has been great. I think Germany have been boring. When they get the ball it's very much the Guardiola way, which is the least interesting style of football IMO. Algeria have been fantastic to watch with their counter attacking.

You're very much in the minority of people who thinks Germany have been exciting, but then you are biased. wink.gif
X-Offender
I don't agree that this Germany plays like Barça or Guardiola's Bayern. I don't see any tiki-taka nor exaggerated possession, but smart passes and an overall involvement of the players. It's not working perfectly, but it's not boring to watch. Not for me at least.
kurtsimonw
Was the 2010 World Cup not very hot? I don't ever recall seeing so many l players get cramp before.
kurtsimonw
Germany, as usual, find a way to win. Massive respect for Algeria though. Sensational performance.
X-Offender
Germany were far superior in the ET. I guess Algeria just got tired.
X-Offender
2-1!
X-Offender
What a game!
kurtsimonw
Lahm played 20 seconds in defense. They conceded. laugh.gif
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 30 2014, 11:33 PM) *
Lahm played 20 seconds in defense. They conceded. laugh.gif

Actually, the moment Khedira entered and Lahm switched to RB, Germany seemed more secure and in possession of the game.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 1 2014, 12:34 AM) *
Actually, the moment Khedira entered and Lahm switched to RB, Germany seemed more secure and in possession of the game.

That's true. Getting Lahm out of a possession position would help.

I'm kidding, before you jump on me again, X-Off. tongue.gif
arivanjj
predicted 2-0 for my work comp. absolutely devastated with that last min goal.
kurtsimonw
Brazil v Colombia
Holland v Costa Rica
France v Germany
Argentina/Swiss v Belgium/USA

Assuming the favourites win tomorrow, I think that's not exactly a hugely unexpected lineup of teams aside from Costa Rica. Colombia and Belgium have been getting a lot of hype in recent years, Brazil and Argentina were always going to do well in South America, Germany are always there nowadays and Holland/France had too much talent to disappoint again. Switch Costa Rica with Italy and I think it's gone about expected. Oh, and Spain. But I'm sure everyone that isn't Spanish is happy about that. biggrin.gif
Fillipo Simone
So, three sidenotes from me:

1) On Germany

I agree with both Kurt and XO here. I think Löw is trying to implement some segments of the Guardiola game. It's not tika-taka, but playing Lahm in the DM/CM spot and making the wing players circulate with the ball more and more isn't the real Germany way. I remember Hässler, Möller and the teams of the past. They had this very German like approach, straight to the goal, fast attack, fast switch. Höwedes, Mustafi and Boateng are incredibly slow and sloppy. By fielding them and stubbornly playing Lahm out of position the German game loses pace and danger from the flanks, while virtually gains nothing. Höwedes and Mustafi ain't Maldini and Tassotti to give special defensive balance. Lahm may be intelligent, but the moment he got back on the fullback Germany started to be more lethal. So, I do enjoy the German game, I like them, they don't play boring football; but Löw is doing unnecessary tactical extravaganza.

2) On "national" styles in football and this WC

So we come to my second point, related with the first. You know what? Call me a romantic or someone who's been prisoner of the past, but I do miss those days when you knew how Germany would play by default, or how Italy or Spain would play. This is the reason why I acknowledge and respect Greece. The whole world might call them antifootballers, laugh at them and despise them, but hey, they still got balls to play their way of football and stand for it. I respect that very much. It adds (to me) that special national factor that seems to be lost with most of the modern day teams.

3) On shirts and this WC

This is unrelated with the first two points. I think the HD television fashion is ruining football fashion. I was asking myself why Brazil and Colombia play that hideous yellow-white combination, why Germany doesn't play with black shorts, Holland with black or white (even though their choice may be, IMO, the most tasteful), etc. And well, it's because of the HD resolution that dictated this change. Well, it sucks to me big time, I'm sad to see teams leave traditional colors and tricolores.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 1 2014, 12:47 AM) *
This is unrelated with the first two points. I think the HD television fashion is ruining football fashion. I was asking myself why Brazil and Colombia play that hideous yellow-white combination, why Germany doesn't play with black shorts, Holland with black or white (even though their choice may be, IMO, the most tasteful), etc. And well, it's because of the HD resolution that dictated this change. Well, it sucks to me big time, I'm sad to see teams leave traditional colors and tricolores.

I mentioned this to my dad. Germany's isn't too bad, just the white shorts makes it look a bit off. But I wish Brazil and Colombia would go back to the blue/white and blue/red shorts/socks combo.
Rossoneri7
That was a performance of the heart! Algeria put in that 'grinta' yet squandered so many attempts at goal. If only for a Zidane within their ranks-sigh

Actually I think it was the exceptional gkeepers that kept the game in check. Had those gkeepers not played, this is game of thrilling goals; from both ends.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 30 2014, 11:47 PM) *
So, I do enjoy the German game, I like them, they don't play boring football.

Hear hear, Kurt.
arivanjj
fun fact

i've just looked at some of the previous world cups and this could be the only world cup that would sees all group winners progressing to the quarter finals.

which makes me very superstitious about about tomorrow's games. especially Belgium game... or are we in for the upset with Argentina.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 1 2014, 12:47 AM) *
I agree with both Kurt and XO here. I think Löw is trying to implement some segments of the Guardiola game. It's not tika-taka, but playing Lahm in the DM/CM spot and making the wing players circulate with the ball more and more isn't the real Germany way. I remember Hässler, Möller and the teams of the past. They had this very German like approach, straight to the goal, fast attack, fast switch. Höwedes, Mustafi and Boateng are incredibly slow and sloppy. By fielding them and stubbornly playing Lahm out of position the German game loses pace and danger from the flanks, while virtually gains nothing. Höwedes and Mustafi ain't Maldini and Tassotti to give special defensive balance. Lahm may be intelligent, but the moment he got back on the fullback Germany started to be more lethal. So, I do enjoy the German game, I like them, they don't play boring football; but Löw is doing unnecessary tactical extravaganza.

Could it be a way to save energy and deal with the heat more effectively?
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 1 2014, 07:07 AM) *
Could it be a way to save energy and deal with the heat more effectively?

Could be. I thought so as well, up until the KO phase. Saving energy and dragging a must-win game to ET isn't quite logical.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 30 2014, 11:59 PM) *
What has the World of football done to be subjected to another Germany game?

To be honest Ghana & Algeria games were 2 of the best in the WC.
Danny
Absolutely gutted for Switzerland. Argentina are doing it the ugly way.
kurtsimonw
Yeah, they're finding ways to win. Their system isn't working at all, though. Struggled to beat 4 teams they're far superior than.
Fillipo Simone
But they go through. In fact, none of the supposed favorites - namely Brazil, Germany and Argentina - convinced. There's Holland but I don't trust their defense one bit. France as well. Very curious to see this WC develop, no favorites really.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 1 2014, 10:59 PM) *
There's Holland but I don't trust their defense one bit.

They have Roncrete, they are fine. cool.gif
X-Offender
Man, this ET is awesome!
kurtsimonw
US can be proud of their team.
X-Offender
Absolutely.
Fillipo Simone
Yep. Great tactic by Klinsmann, real good defensive work, extraordinary saves by Howard. Only a killer in attack and the Belgians would have been done. Very well played. Hopefully they keep on with Klinsi.
X-Offender
After Muller, Messi has been the most decisive player in this WC.
kurtsimonw
Pinilla...

Rossoneri7
In La Liga it is a debate we have each season: Who’s the best player in the world, Messi or Ronaldo? Well, with Portugal out of the World Cup and a Messi-inspired Argentina now through to the quarter-finals, the stage is set for him to confirm his place as No1.

That is an opinion shared by Italy’s World Cup-winning defender, Alessandro Nesta, after Messi’s latest man-of-the-match performance saw him lay on the winning goal for Angel Di Maria to steer Argentina into an intriguing last-eight clash with Belgium.

Messi’s own goals tally of four sees him sitting, menacingly, in joint second place in the race for the Golden Boot. They are the kind of qualities that make Nesta, a Sony Team Ambassador for the World Cup in Brazil, re-enter the discussion about who’s the best.

“Globally, looking at the whole career, the highest peak is touched by Messi,” said Nesta. “Unfortunately, one year I played against him four times in a season, I’ve been very unlucky and already pretty old!

“He has something special, a real out of the ordinary player. CR7 is a great champion too, but Messi is special, is the toughest one for a defender. Messi can make ten sprints in a row, it’s impossible for you to stand against him.”

As the Swiss discovered, even deep into extra-time the Barca magician can find reserves of stamina and strength to produce a match-winning moment, drawing in defenders on one of his mazy runs before his exquisite assist for Di Maria. “You’re already more than tired while he’s fresh and reactive, there’s no match against him, he keeps the ball like no one else,” added Nesta.

“CR7 radically changed his style of play. I remember when I met him in Manchester, he was very tricky, a dribbling-lover, now he is much more effective, he always shots on target, he’s very dangerous just for this. He changed a lot his style, now he uses his skills to be more effective rather than just to make a show.”

But if Messi can add a World Cup to his glittering collection on July 13, the perennial debate may well come to a close.

Nesta's Messi vs CR devil.gif
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 2 2014, 02:37 AM) *
After Muller, Messi has been the most decisive player in this WC.

His goals have been the most important but his performances haven't sparkled. Oddly enough yesterday's was his best overall and he didn't score.

For me the player of the tournament has been James Rodriguez.
Danny
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jul 2 2014, 08:17 AM) *
Nesta's Messi vs CR devil.gif

Truth is Argentina have had an (on paper) stroll to this stage. Bosnia, Iran, Algeria and Switzerland. They have France next, the first decent team they've faced, and if they are to win the whole thing they'll now have to beat genuinely top class teams.

If Messi can inspire them to this, I'll have to reluctantly concede he's achieved more than Ronaldo. I prefer Ronaldo's play, powerful, pacy and thunderous, with lots of skill, compared to Messi's subtle positional play, lethal left foot and deft touches.

But till now Messi's Argentina have never made a final of anything, far less won anything. Ronaldo has the advantage there. Even if Argentina make the final, they have to win, it, or Ronaldo can point to Portugal 2004.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 2 2014, 11:10 AM) *
His goals have been the most important but his performances haven't sparkled. Oddly enough yesterday's was his best overall and he didn't score.

For me the player of the tournament has been James Rodriguez.

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 2 2014, 11:15 AM) *
Truth is Argentina have had an (on paper) stroll to this stage. Bosnia, Iran, Algeria and Switzerland. They have France next, the first decent team they've faced, and if they are to win the whole thing they'll now have to beat genuinely top class teams.

If Messi can inspire them to this, I'll have to reluctantly concede he's achieved more than Ronaldo. I prefer Ronaldo's play, powerful, pacy and thunderous, with lots of skill, compared to Messi's subtle positional play, lethal left foot and deft touches.

But till now Messi's Argentina have never made a final of anything, far less won anything. Ronaldo has the advantage there. Even if Argentina make the final, they have to win, it, or Ronaldo can point to Portugal 2004.

For once I completely share your views Danny biggrin.gif tongue.gif
Ry4n
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 2 2014, 03:15 PM) *

I really think Argentina's defence is not up to scratch , with all due respect to the teams Argentina has faced few have really troubled Argentina not because they are not good in attack they have just wasted there chances so much take last night when the swiss were 1v1 against Romero the swiss player tries to chip him...

My predict for the next game vs France it will be tight no doubt but france to win 2-0 So far Argentina have one and a half outlets Messi and Di Maria if they are shut down it's pretty much gg for Argetina's attack.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 2 2014, 10:47 AM) *
For once I completely share your views Danny biggrin.gif tongue.gif

I've changed my mind on everything I just said tongue.gif
Fillipo Simone
I think it's still to early to say who's been the "most anything". James has played against some pretty poor defenses, not really tested. Switzerland was the first real test for Argentina, and they were lucky. Yes, Messi and James have been decisive so far. But only so far.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 2 2014, 12:22 PM) *
I've changed my mind on everything I just said tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif
milanbuf88
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 2 2014, 07:15 AM) *

They have Belgium next, not France.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.