Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World Cup 2014
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 15 2014, 06:04 PM) *
- I think this is something you can always say about Italy, in 2006 it was the other way around with a very solid defence and a meh type midfield and attack. The only players I'd take from that 06 side into this one are Canna and Nesta tbh. The others we can do without imo. I think it was Prandelli's choices that weakened Italy, he had the potential on the bench to play a better and stronger side but he chose to mess with that defence and play that strange line of 4 in midfield which imo only suits Candreva. And personally the fuss about Candreva from the English is blown out of proportion. Of course he was going to look good when he and Darmian were given acres of space to run into by England, that's what Candreva is good at, running in a straight line and crossing. In the first half Hart completed this week's catching practice thanks to Candreva's continuous crossing right into his hands

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Honestly, I can't believe what you're saying. You'd take only Canna and Nesta?? What about Zambrotta, Gattuso, Totti, Del Piero? The 2006 team was miles away in terms of quality. You can meh their attack as much as you like, but really, you think this team is even close?
Fillipo Simone
Oh and btw, didn't you praise Prandelli not so long ago for picking the best possible squad and being rational?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 05:14 PM) *
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Honestly, I can't believe what you're saying. You'd take only Canna and Nesta?? What about Zambrotta, Gattuso, Totti, Del Piero? The 2006 team was miles away in terms of quality. You can meh their attack as much as you like, but really, you think this team is even close?

I'd take Zambrotta (although on the left of this team), Totti, Cannavaro and Nesta into this team.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 04:14 PM) *
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Totti and Del Piero??? Seriously? Those 2 never did anything for Italy. Totti scored a penalty and DP a goal in the semi when Italy had already won the game against the Germans.

Maybe I'd take Rino as well but I can't see where his all action but slightly limited style of football would fit in, and this come from the biggest Rino fan on here.

Zambrotta maybe, but like kurt mentioned, maybe for the left side. Still Prandelli could have called up Santon instead of just the Milan duo who have come off shaky seasons due to injuries and such, Zambro in the 06 WC was already a bit past his best imo. Still a great defender but no where near his peak imo.

From those 2 sides, this is the line-up I'd build

Abate--Canna--Nesta--DS/Zambro
DDR--Pirlo--Marchisio
Verratti
Balo--Insigne/Cassano/Immobile

And the reason why I'd choose Verratti over Totti is because Totti has never even reach half of what he's showed at club level for Italy, same goes for DP imo who were always pretty underwhelming at tournaments not to mention Totti having his moments where he let Italy completely down. And I just love that little guy anyway, I think he's seriously special, there were a few moments yesterday when he made incisive forward passes that very few players have the vision to make

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 04:15 PM) *
Oh and btw, didn't you praise Prandelli not so long ago for picking the best possible squad and being rational?

I still praise him, like it or not Italy still won yesterday, even with the huffing and puffing of Barzagli and Paletta running in Baywatch style slow-mo. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

Yesterday was purely a tactical battle imo and Prandelli just won it hands down imo. England played into Italy's hands. There were a few moments when my heart literally came up to my mouth because of that defence but at the end of the day Italy pulled it off because they identified England's weakness and relentlessly attacked it.

Personally I absolutely did not like that odd 4-1-4-1 set-up he played, but no one can convince me that he'll use that for the rest of the games Italy will play. I think it was tailor made to counter England's system.

It's basically exactly what he did in the Euros
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 01:58 PM) *
- couldn't watch the last match, didn't have the strength for it and the time for a sleepless night. How do you guys manage to watch all of it?

I usually sleep at around 1:30-2:00 every night, so for me it was no problem.

QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 15 2014, 04:05 PM) *
Calm down smile.gif

PS Taarabt is as gone as Rami.

Taarabt's signing deadline has expired and we haven't made a single attempt to contact QPR. I don't think he's in Inzaghi's plans. Could be wrong, though.

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 15 2014, 04:55 PM) *
Maybe I'd take Rino as well but I can't see where his all action but slightly limited style of football would fit in, and this come from the biggest Rino fan on here.

Rino at his best would fit into any team.
X-Offender
Proof Americans Know Nothing About Soccer (Football)

laugh.gif
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 05:35 PM) *
Rino at his best would fit into any team.

Would you really fit him in here though? Over Marchisio's box-to-box work?

Yeah, Rino was absolute class in his day, but I just don't know who I'd take out from that trio to play him
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 05:42 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Leave it to the Americans.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 04:35 PM) *
Taarabt's signing deadline has expired and we haven't made a single attempt to contact QPR. I don't think he's in Inzaghi's plans. Could be wrong, though.

Yes we have, we've tried to get them to halve their asking price, just as we have with Rami. It's just that the Rami deal is further on.

Seems QPR won't budge at all, won't entertain the offer.

As for Inzaghi's plans, and I put this one to the floor/forum: does anyone actually FEEL like he's our manager yet? It doesn't feel like it to me.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 15 2014, 05:53 PM) *
As for Inzaghi's plans, and I put this one to the floor/forum: does anyone actually FEEL like he's our manager yet? It doesn't feel like it to me.

I think atm everyone is so far removed from club football that it hasn't really sunk in yet. Once the players get back together and training and friendlies start we'll get used to it
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 15 2014, 03:11 PM) *
I think we'll sign Rami. Taraabt I'm not sure because he's obviously keen on signing for us, but I can't see space for him in the starting line-up next season tbh

Rami is dependent on the same thing Taarabt is - the selling club willing to accept half. Valencia have changed their minds a couple of times on it hence the deal is POSSIBLE if not probable. But QPR aren't interested. They want the full value they believe he's worth and won't apparently sell for less. So we will get him if we offer what they want or at least a very significant portion of it. Half won't cut it.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 15 2014, 04:55 PM) *
I think atm everyone is so far removed from club football that it hasn't really sunk in yet. Once the players get back together and training and friendlies start we'll get used to it

True, I can't argue with that.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 15 2014, 06:53 PM) *
Yes we have, we've tried to get them to halve their asking price, just as we have with Rami. It's just that the Rami deal is further on.

Seems QPR won't budge at all, won't entertain the offer.

Yes, that is my read as well.

QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 15 2014, 06:53 PM) *

Dunno. Personally I would not have chosen Pippo, but now that he has been put in charge I am fully supportive. So perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part, but I believe he has stepped into his role and is making his presence felt.
Forza Milan!
Switzerland has been identified by some as a possible "dark horse", but I am not overly impressed so far

(Hate to say this, but is feels like I am watching an MLS game.)
Danny
It was a bland match but Switzerland, while never TRULY the 6th best team on earth did show some glimpses of quality in that match.

It's all the more intriguing when you consider their players. Behrami, Lichsteiner, Djorou, Inler, Mehmedi, Shaqiri. They're a bit better than you'd think.
X-Offender
Switzerland has five Albanian players: Behrami, Dzemaili, Xhaka, Shaqiri and Mehmedi. Six if Kasami was called as well. Normally I should be supporting them, but everyone in Albania considers them traitors, and even though I believe everyone in entitled to make their own choice, I kind of agree with that concept as well.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 06:30 PM) *
Switzerland has five Albanian players: Behrami, Dzemaili, Xhaka, Shaqiri and Mehmedi. Six if Kasami was called as well. Normally I should be supporting them, but everyone in Albania considers them traitors, and even though I believe everyone in entitled to make their own choice, I kind of agree with that concept as well.

Know this concept - Scottish Rangers player called Fraser Aird recently chose to play for Canada, and fellow Scot Aidan McGeady of Celtic (once upon a time) chose Republic of Ireland.

It all boils down to an individual choice, but undeniably leaves a sour taste when players from your country choose another based on eligibility.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 08:30 PM) *

Did Albania try to call the players up to the NT before they played for the Swiss? If so, then yeah I can understand the traitor tag, otherwise you can't blame them if Albania never even tried to.
Fillipo Simone
Anyone watching Honduras-France? Did they forget the national anthems or what? Started watching, players came out, no anthems. Did I miss them or?
kurtsimonw
Yeah I heard no anthems either.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 15 2014, 07:44 PM) *
Did Albania try to call the players up to the NT before they played for the Swiss? If so, then yeah I can understand the traitor tag, otherwise you can't blame them if Albania never even tried to.

Not sure about all of them, but they did try to enroll Shaqiri and Xhaka. The problem is that our FA doesn't give two shits. They're completely disorganized and corrupt to the core. It's a shame. If we were more convincing, had a real program and everything, we'd have a pretty nice NT. Januzaj, that Mustafi guy called from Germany, and a few other players who're scattered around Europe playing for other national teams. All of them having Albanian families, and most of them being born in Kosovo or the Albanian territories in Macedonia (Tetovo, Gostivar etc.)

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Anyone watching Honduras-France? Did they forget the national anthems or what? Started watching, players came out, no anthems. Did I miss them or?

Weird.
kurtsimonw
I don't like France, but Honduras are a disgrace. Bunch of thugs and nothing more.
kurtsimonw
Well, it doesn't look over the line, but goal line technology says yes.
Fillipo Simone
Yeah, really strange.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 08:30 PM) *

The US side of my family feels the same way about Giuseppe Rossi.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jun 15 2014, 10:23 PM) *
The US side of my family feels the same way about Giuseppe Rossi.

You also have a bunch of players not born in the US so I have less sympathy. tongue.gif
X-Offender
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 15 2014, 09:45 PM) *
I don't like France, but Honduras are a disgrace. Bunch of thugs and nothing more.

Bernardez may be a tad "aggressive", but he holds the SJ Quakes defense together. No disparaging comments, please sad.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 11:27 PM) *

I think the Dutch players will start avoiding Milan in big loops now.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 10:33 PM) *

In the short term, maybe. Long term probably not. (Well, hope not.)
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 09:33 PM) *

Yep, starting with our own De Jong.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 05:33 PM) *

If that were to happen... Can you blame them?

What our management did (more so in the manner in which they did it) was disgraceful!
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2014, 05:49 PM) *
Yep, starting with our own De Jong.

sad.gif cry.gif
Fillipo Simone
Hmh, I don't know. It depends mostly on how Seedorf's career will evolve. If he joins Ajax or Holland for a backroom job, this could be long-term.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Jun 15 2014, 11:49 PM) *
If that were to happen... Can you blame them?

What our management did (more so in the manner in which they did it) was disgraceful!

I don't blame them one bit. I'm still ashamed of what we did.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 04:00 PM) *

I was wondering the same thing. huh.gif

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 15 2014, 04:45 PM) *

Agreed. My sentiments exactly.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 15 2014, 05:09 PM) *
Well, it doesn't look over the line, but goal line technology says yes.

I though it looked to be over the line after the keeper got a hand to it, not when Benzema's shot was initially fired.

So I believe that's why the GT granted it as a goal. Are you guys questioning it at that point? (or the initial shot?)

unsure.gif
TriniKing_CE
Benzema - Clear Goal!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/15/world-cup-20...giving-4762878/
X-Offender
QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Jun 15 2014, 10:03 PM) *

laugh.gif
kurtsimonw
"Everyone who chooses to play for Bosnia is a hero, anyone born here but plays elsewhere - like Ibrahimovic - is a traitor". - What, he was born in Sweden. laugh.gif
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 15 2014, 10:45 PM) *

Bunch of thugs? I can't agree with that but they look quite bad overall.
kurtsimonw
15 minutes of Messi losing the ball every time he's touched it.
han2503
I personally cannot understand why so many view Argentina as favourites for this. They have a terrible defence and no one in midfield who can put his foot on the. ball, calm things down and dictate
kurtsimonw
Bosnia have been the better team.
X-Offender
Argentina are absolutely unwatchable.
kurtsimonw
Goal goal. Pretty horrific performance from him though.
X-Offender
Nah, in the second half he's been decent, just like Argentina. That 5-3-2 formation was quite horrific.
kurtsimonw
biggrin.gif
kurtsimonw
Probably the most disappointing day of the WC so far. One bad game, though it had a good finish, having to watch Honduras and their karate practice and Argentina winning.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 15 2014, 08:33 PM) *

You say that like it's a bad thing. Dutch football is dying. This current team isn't half as good as 5-1 suggested, Spain just really are that bad and LVG really is THAT good a manager. They're every inch built around RVP like Uruguay are around Suarez. Remove that part of their team they're utterly average.

Dutch football is not something to crow about.

But yes, I agree De Jong will be a big loss. Can't see him staying.

As for today's football:

All meh as everyone said. Messi had one moment of magic in an otherwise predictably banal and bland display. He was marginally better in the second half but it was the usual disappointment we'd expect from him.
kurtsimonw
Yeah Dutch football doesn't have too many great individuals. Their best defender plays for Villa. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.