Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Bluesummers
Welcome Thiago Silva, our first signing of the summer devil.gif

Full name: Thiago Emiliano da Silva,

Name: Thiago Silva

Birthday: September 22, 1984 (age 24)

Height: 1.84 m (6 ft )

Positions: Centre Back, Full Back

Ability: Regarded for his blistering pace and tackling efficiency.

Videos:
Vid 1

Vid 2
Zed.D
Hope he turns out a good defender!
Bluesummers
He's very good. A great signing, we beat inter and bayern for his signature.

I think he's going to turn out to be like lucio. He pushes up alot LOL.

I wonder though, who has a better long shot, Kaka or him!? laugh.gif
dst
I certainly hope he's not a Lucio. In getting the ball and forgetting he's a CB that is. He did not do anything like that in the two friendlies we played earlier this year...

He looks promising. But the most important things for a defender is to be consistent and we'll see if he can be that. CB's are not allowed to have off days.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 11 2009, 06:57 AM) *
I certainly hope he's not a Lucio. In getting the ball and forgetting he's a CB that is. He did not do anything like that in the two friendlies we played earlier this year...

He looks promising. But the most important things for a defender is to be consistent and we'll see if he can be that. CB's are not allowed to have off days.

But then how is kaladze.... a cb....
acid911
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Apr 12 2009, 05:13 AM) *
But then how is kaladze.... a cb....

Because CB doesn't always mean Center Back. huh.gif wink.gif It can also mean Carlo's Boy, Carlo's Bunny or Carlo's Beatch, depending on who you ask. We should have sold him to Liverpool or some other EPL club when we had a chance. The one fatal-mistake-every-two-matches that Kaladze makes, is one too many, if you ask me.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 11 2009, 01:57 PM) *

smile.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (acid911 @ Apr 12 2009, 06:46 AM) *
Because CB doesn't always mean Center Back. huh.gif wink.gif It can also mean Carlo's Boy, Carlo's Bunny or Carlo's Beatch, depending on who you ask. We should have sold him to Liverpool or some other EPL club when we had a chance. The one fatal-mistake-every-two-matches that Kaladze makes, is one too many, if you ask me.

genius post. +1 sulfuric acid.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (dst @ Apr 11 2009, 03:57 PM) *

He will need to learn a lot, that is for sure. I don't think he will produce a Nesta or Maldini type performance, but given time, I hope he comes clean in the end.

p.s. His prowess at going forward and scoring goals ... I don't think he will be given that much freedom at Milan, maybe on set pieces, but never leaving his post and dribbling through a Serie A team.
Jack Sparrow
He might be. I hope so. Because that's an excellent new dimension to add. Especially in modern day football, when the opposition often just lies back in wait for you in their own half. Your CB joining in attack is a good weapon.

Remember Agger's strike for Liverpool against Wigan this week. Also he's got pace, so I'm confident he can come back soon. As long as he plays to tactics and doesn't try to do his own thing too much it's fine. Actually if Thiago can do what Agger does, I don't see why we're chasing Agger. Two of the same type is lousy. One of them should be a genuine stopper like Nesta.

Would love for Nesta to pair up with Thiago. Wish the lad were 2 or 3 inches taller though. sad.gif
Bluesummers
Milan defender Thiago Silva is ready to carry his recent good form into the coming season, and he cannot wait to play against Inter in the San Siro.

The Brazilian defender has been showing glimpses of magic during pre-season, defending robustly and also showing his prowess up-front. Despite the Rossoneri's poor pre-season, the stopper has stood out, and he hopes to carry on positively.

"I am happy that Leonardo is admiring my hard work. He understands that I have been doing a great deal to earn a place in his line-up," Silva told La Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"It was not easy adapting to the Italian game, but I have been studying it in terms of tactics. You need to pay attention as any errors are punished."

The former Fluminense player is hoping he can give the club a great deal during the 2009-10 term, pinpointing the Milan derby against Inter in the second week of the season as a particular chance to impress.

"I am happy for what I can give the team. I cannot wait to play in the San Siro - a stadium that gives so much emotion, and I will do my best from the start," concluded the stopper.

Milan clash with Inter on August 30. Before that, the Rossoneri play Siena away from home in Round 1 of the Serie A campaign.
kurtsimonw
I like him. I enjoy the way he plays. Wasn't sure when we signed him, but after seeing him a few times he looks like he'll be more than useful.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 1 2009, 01:27 PM) *
I like him. I enjoy the way he plays. Wasn't sure when we signed him, but after seeing him a few times he looks like he'll be more than useful.

who do we give the credit too leo or braida laugh.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 1 2009, 03:27 PM) *

+1
nuh
i am really really really happy with this signing i think this is the best thing for us this summer so far...
mishie
Hmmmmm unsure.gif
Perhaps it's just me then because i thought he'd been average at best pre-season...and of course the coach will praise him he doesn't want to damage his confidence before a ball has been kicked in anger
Tennie
In Fishdoll's opinion, Silva hasn't sucked (not-Locke's) donkey balls. smile.gif He's been good but in Fishdoll's opinion Nesta has been better (despite all the squealing from Fishdoll's person).
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 2 2009, 01:51 PM) *
In Fishdoll's opinion, Silva hasn't sucked (not-Locke's) donkey balls. smile.gif He's been good but in Fishdoll's opinion Nesta has been better (despite all the squealing from Fishdoll's person).

silva is just adapting to a big club and is getting used to defending at such high standards, its not fair to compare him to one of the top 5 defenders in the world
dst
I've only watched the game against Bayern so it would not be fair to comment. Neither on Silva nor on Nesta. I suppose they have been extremely better in the other games for y' all to say that cause they were both terrible against the Germans.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 2 2009, 09:23 PM) *
silva is just adapting to a big club and is getting used to defending at such high standards, its not fair to compare him to one of the top 5 defenders in the world

Nesta is good, was great, but come on. blink.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (dst @ Aug 2 2009, 04:34 PM) *
I've only watched the game against Bayern so it would not be fair to comment. Neither on Silva nor on Nesta. I suppose they have been extremely better in the other games for y' all to say that cause they were both terrible against the Germans.

I missed the majority of the Bayern game, but from what I've read (& heard from on here - if its to be believed)
Everyone on Milan looked terrible with the exception of Abate.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 2 2009, 11:35 PM) *

He was clearly the best in my view when he was at the peak of his game but he has not played a competitive match for along time so right now you could say (in tennis terms) he's unseeded.

There's no way he's among the top 5 right now. Potentially? Sure, I even believe he can become the best again if he stays injury-free.

QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Aug 2 2009, 11:40 PM) *
I missed the majority of the Bayern game, but from what I've read (& heard from on here - if its to be believed)
Everyone on Milan looked terrible with the exception of Abate.

That's true but it's not an excuse. They did not suck because the others sucked...
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (dst @ Aug 2 2009, 04:47 PM) *
That's true but it's not an excuse. They did not suck because the others sucked...

Fair enough; its not an excuse for why they didn't perform.
But, clearly if the enitre team is playing like sh!t it says something beyond individual performances.
Possibly a lack of rest / fitness / motivation / prepartion / team chemistry.
Not sure exactly, but one or the other definitely!
Tennie
I think management is responsible for a lot of the poor performance in the bayern game. The game was less than 24 hours after they got off a 8 hour plane flight. That's not really enough time for a tourist to recover from the jetlag, much less a football team.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 2 2009, 05:23 PM) *
I think management is responsible for a lot of the poor performance in the bayern game. The game was less than 24 hours after they got off a 8 hour plane flight. That's not really enough time for a tourist to recover from the jetlag, much less a football team.

Yup - so true!
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 2 2009, 02:35 PM) *

i would say top 5 are

Puyol
Ferdinand
vidic
terry
nesta
Tennie
In that order, Blue?
han2503
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 2 2009, 09:59 PM) *
i would say top 5 are

Puyol
Ferdinand
vidic
terry
nesta

I'd put Vidic and Terry above Ferdinand.

But ageed, active or not, Nesta is still better then most of the current crop of defenders out there. So he's still top 5 for me as well, he's not the #1 anymore like he was a few years back but he ranks up there
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 2 2009, 10:59 PM) *
i would say top 5 are

Puyol
Ferdinand
vidic
terry
nesta

I'm not going to attempt to argue with this. We'll just say I disagree and move on.
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 2 2009, 11:51 PM) *
I'm not going to attempt to argue with this. We'll just say I disagree and move on.

Come on list your top 5 and be done with it! tongue.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 2 2009, 04:07 PM) *
In that order, Blue?

order:

Vidic
Puyol
Terry
Nesta
Ferdinand
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 2 2009, 04:51 PM) *

whats your 5. Its just opinion. Let me guess samuel is in the list? tongue.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 3 2009, 01:17 AM) *
whats your 5. Its just opinion. Let me guess samuel is in the list? tongue.gif

Samuel!? blink.gif

I'd have Chiellini over Nesta for starters, Nesta isn't even the best Italian. Then Vidic, Puyol, Ferdinand, Terry would also be in my top 5, probably. I don't know any orders, but they'd more than likely be my top 5. I think guys like Carvalo are even better. Yeah, he's been injured a while, but so has Nesta and his pre-injury performances were better than Nestas, in my opinion. I think he may even struggle to make a top 10. He's still very good, but still over-rated, we'll see once he starts playing competitively again.

Materazzi isn't in the list because no-one else is in his league.
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 2 2009, 10:55 PM) *
Materazzi isn't in the list because no-one else is in his league.

I knew it was too good to be true. Reading all the way to the end I was saying to myself: 'Hey, he didn't mention Matrix! Maybe Kurt has regained some sense?!'

Then you said this! ohmy.gif I still don't understand how some how isn't an inter fan can back this fool!
He looked good at WC-06 due to the absolute brilliance of Cannavaro. [Fullstop]
Other than that this guy is utter trash.

Shame on you for still supporting this loser Kurt - I expected better from you! dry.gif
(...and I can't believe you have me going up until the end then you put it in - tricky tricky!) laugh.gif tongue.gif
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2009, 05:55 AM) *
He's still very good, but still over-rated

Still overrated!?? When exactly was he overrated before, when he made everyone else look like an amateur?
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Aug 3 2009, 04:47 AM) *
Still overrated!?? When exactly was he overrated before, when he made everyone else look like an amateur?

There was meant to be a comma between still and over-rated. But people have been saying this about him for a while, despite the fact he barely played at all last season.

A few years ago? Yeah, he was in the top 3, maybe top 1, for a long time.
TriniKing_CE
I think it's still a bit pre-mature to rate Nesta at this time presently.
No one can safely determine that he is 'over-rated' (at present), 'under-rated' or rated quite accurately.

We need to see a few performances in the season from him, with continuity in order to do so. wink.gif
dst
He is considered to be among the best because of his level before he got injured but he cannot be rated right now cause he has not been playing for a long time.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (dst @ Aug 3 2009, 05:23 AM) *
He is considered to be among the best because of his level before he got injured but he cannot be rated right now cause he has not been playing for a long time.

I don't agree with this. So if a player retires at the top of his game, say Cannavaro retired after WC2006, would you still consider them the bes tin the World now?
Zed.D
Nesta overrated? biggrin.gif keep it on, Kurt!
kurtsimonw
I honestly don't get it. A guy who has probably played ahandful of games in 18 months, yet people still think he's one of the best 5 defenders in the World? If that isn't over-rated, nothing is. It's nothing but blind homerism!
Bluesummers
I'm not just blindly saying that. I think if it comes down to potential performance in a game, thats the order I would currently rate defenders. So if nesta could play his best game at the age of 33 I think he could rank in the top 5. Obviously I'm not declaring right now hes top 5 because we haven't seen him play in a year. What i'm saying is potentially he could be.
Zed.D
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2009, 11:44 AM) *
I honestly don't get it. A guy who has probably played ahandful of games in 18 months, yet people still think he's one of the best 5 defenders in the World? If that isn't over-rated, nothing is. It's nothing but blind homerism!

Did you read those people's post. dst said it all, he's been out for more than a year with a serious back injury and he can't be rated - because he hasn't played. yet you say he's overrated; which means you're rating him.

IMO based on how he's played in his career, he's one of the top 10 defenders who have ever lived, let along top 5 active defenders.

PS: sorry about the underlines!
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Aug 3 2009, 01:32 AM) *
Did you read those people's post. dst said it all, he's been out for more than a year with a serious back injury and he can't be rated - because he hasn't played. yet you say he's overrated; which means you're rating him.

IMO based on how he's played in his career, he's one of the top 10 defenders who have ever lived, let along top 5 active defenders.

PS: sorry about the underlines!

easy there...hes really good but lets not get too excited.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Aug 3 2009, 08:32 AM) *

Notice how I say he's overated becuase people are saying he's in the top 5 current defenders. So yes, I think he's incredibly over-rated at this moment in time, and it'll stay that way until people have a more realistic opinion on him/he starts playing like one of te best in the World again. The same goes for anyone, too much stock is held in how good players were, past ability means absoloutely nothing in football (when talking about how god someone).
Bluesummers
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2009, 01:36 AM) *
Notice how I say he's overated becuase people are saying he's in the top 5 current defenders. So yes, I think he's incredibly over-rated at this moment in time, and it'll stay that way until people have a more realistic opinion on him/he starts playing like one of te best in the World again. The same goes for anyone, too much stock is held in how good players were, past ability means absoloutely nothing in football (when talking about how god someone).

I agree with you on that. We'll have to wait and see him but potentially and ability wise he could be in the top 5, you cannot deny that. But he is 33 as well so I can see where your coming from.
dst
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2009, 07:49 AM) *
I don't agree with this. So if a player retires at the top of his game, say Cannavaro retired after WC2006, would you still consider them the bes tin the World now?

No I agree with you I'm just saying that people consider Nesta to be among the top 5 thinking about who he was. Could Nesta be among the top 5 CB's in the world right now? Without a shadow of a doubt. Is he? No, he has only played 10 minutes of competitive football in 16 months, how can he be compared to others about who he is right now? Based on what?
mkenya
QUOTE (dst @ Aug 3 2009, 10:19 AM) *
No I agree with you I'm just saying that people consider Nesta to be among the top 5 thinking about who he was. Could Nesta be among the top 5 CB's in the world right now? Without a shadow of a doubt. Is he? No, he has only played 10 minutes of competitive football in 16 months, how can he be compared to others about who he is right now? Based on what?

...cool it guys..i think this thread is thiago silva's??
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2009, 12:49 AM) *
I don't agree with this. So if a player retires at the top of his game, say Cannavaro retired after WC2006, would you still consider them the best in the World now?

If he retired after WC-06, how would it have been possible for him to be rated the best now?
He would be retired... laugh.gif
TriniKing_CE
QUOTE (mkenya @ Aug 3 2009, 05:43 AM) *
...cool it guys..i think this thread is thiago silva's??

huh.gif Oh that's right!

We (...and by we I mean they) always tend to do this. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.