Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summer Transfers 2019
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Transfers
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Fillipo Simone
Fazio? No thanks...
Fillipo Simone
Also, why are we so obsessed to bring in a very good CB? I mean Musacchio isn't perfect but he's more then solid. Romagnoli is great. And why are we acting like Caldara isn't ours anymore? Did that injury suddenly make him disappear? Don't get me wrong - I never rated Caldara in the first place, but we got him, Musacchio and Romag. Get us a cheap and solid rotational extra CB and we're good. Let's focus on other areas instead - for example the trequartista or a replacement for Bakayoko.
Danny
Apparently Milan scouts were at Ibrox last night to look at Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos.

If anyone wants to know more, I can say with some authority I'm your man laugh.gif
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 26 2019, 04:21 PM) *
Also, why are we so obsessed to bring in a very good CB? I mean Musacchio isn't perfect but he's more then solid. Romagnoli is great. And why are we acting like Caldara isn't ours anymore? Did that injury suddenly make him disappear? Don't get me wrong - I never rated Caldara in the first place, but we got him, Musacchio and Romag. Get us a cheap and solid rotational extra CB and we're good. Let's focus on other areas instead [...].

Caldara is out until November (I believe). So we are down to two legit CBs (three if we are willing to use Gabbia). An injury to either would be a problem. Also, Caldara's injury was serious, he has been out of play for a long time, who knows how well he will do when he gets back, and how well he will adjust to a back-line of 4. That said, you are right, we should aim for "cheap and solid rotational" for the role. Don't understand why we are after expensive players that Rube does not want to sell us anyway.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 26 2019, 04:21 PM) *
[...] Let's focus on other areas instead - for example the trequartista or a replacement for Bakayoko.

I would think SS is our highest priority (given how Giampaolo intends to play).

I believe we have options for Bakayoko's role. We still have Biglia (doubt it we can unload him), and I believe Bennacer can play that role ("In Bennacer, Milan would be getting a deep-lying playmaker who doesn't shy away from his defensive duties and intercepts danger in its tracks just like Bakayoko did." - link). If we get Badelj we should be covered (though this potential transfer seems to have gone cold in recent days).

Paqueta should be able to act as trequartista (link). That said, given the importance of the role in Giampaolo's system, we may need someone else. I believe Giampaolo is trying to get Suso to play in this role, but it is not clear if Suso can do that, and in any case he most likely will leave. In theory we also have Maldini Jr, but I think he is not quite ready for prime time.

SS is a bigger hole, IMHO. We don't really have anyone that can do that. Not Cutrone nor Borini, unlikely Silva or Suso, maybe Samu at a stretch. That's why we are after Correa, and linked with the likes of Keita and Leao.

FWIW, I find the "borsino" on SpazioMilan somewhat interesting.
Forza Milan!
For anyone even vaguely interested, AC Milan women team is experiencing a lot of changes (link). Completely new management (Ganz in charge), completely new midfield (lost a couple of players that were outstanding in the WC), etc

FWIW, I spent a fair amount of time watching WC games this summer, and will start following the Italian league.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 26 2019, 05:00 PM) *
Apparently Milan scouts were at Ibrox last night to look at Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos.

If anyone wants to know more, I can say with some authority I'm your man laugh.gif

You got me interested :-)

Is he any good? Can he cover the SS role? How much would he cost?
Forza Milan!
Looks like we are getting closer to a deal for Suso (link). However, that would involve getting Schick, which I am not too happy about. Also, apparently Suso would prefer Seville (though we are unlikely to see any money if he ends up there).
Forza Milan!
Some interest in Silva from Wolverhampton and Marseilles (link).

It also looks like Wolverhampton have offered 18M plus 3M bonus for Cutrone, but that has been rejected.

AFAIAC, we really need to get either Silva or Curtone out, if not both ...
Forza Milan!
Genoa after Biglia (link). Another player we need to offload ASAP, though in his case I doubt we will get much.

Our problem is the salaries we have offered to worthless players, which makes it real hard to get them out. We have done this over, and over, and over. Galliani first, then F&M.

EDIT: apparently, Biglia would rather stay at Milan (https://www.calciomercato.com/news/biglia-il-futuro-e-un-rebus-ci-prova-il-genoa-lui-vuole-il-milan-72072). And, not surprisingly, one reason is that he is making 3.5M at Milan, while Genoa would not offer him more than 2M. Apparently, the Silva deal with Marseilles broke down for similar reasons.
Forza Milan!
Correa to Milan update (link). Milan fans asking Correa to come to Milan (on Instagram), his brother replying with "like" to all of them. Not much to go on, but it is the story of this mercato.

Unclear BTW if the Correa deal is linked to us getting rid of Silva (have heard it both ways)
han2503
The Correa thing dragging is strange considering it was done just a few days ago and now after the Silva fiasco with Monaco (FFS!!) it seems to have stalled

And now it's being reported as breaking news that we've signed Rafael Leao from Lille for 35m(!!!)

40m for Correa and 35m for this guys who I've never even heard of? Seems crazy to me. Either the Correa deal collapsed along with Silva's or we're selling both Silva and Cutrone and trying to replace them with potential high risk/high reward players that could be worth a lot more in a few years

I still think the midfield is lacking a lot. x-off I get what you meant 2 pages back about having the bodies, but the quality is very low imo Paqueta aside. Kessie has zero brain cells, Hakan blows hot and cold too often, Suso only playsuntil christmas and shifting him centrally could even damage that good spell, Biglia is a walking injury, same with Bonaventura. Krunic looks promising but I can't see him being anything more than a rotation mid. Bennacer definitely looks like a great move and will bring in a new dynamic to our midfield, but imo we sttill lack that one real quality guy who can make all these pieces we have link up

Also, just want to add that letting Zapata go is still one of the worst mistakes we made this summer. Keeping him would have saved us the trouble of going into the market for a CB. He was reliable, a great example in the dressing room and someone who never complains about lack of playing time. Now they're barking up the Juve tree again for one of their players...
han2503
This as well apparently

Milan are very close to signing Flamengo central defender Leo Duarte for €11M, according to the reliable
@aleaus81

Anyone know anything about either him or Leao?
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 26 2019, 09:06 PM) *
The Correa thing dragging is strange considering it was done just a few days ago and now after the Silva fiasco with Monaco (FFS!!) it seems to have stalled

And now it's being reported as breaking news that we've signed Rafael Leao from Lille for 35m(!!!)

40m for Correa and 35m for this guys who I've never even heard of? Seems crazy to me. Either the Correa deal collapsed along with Silva's or we're selling both Silva and Cutrone and trying to replace them with potential high risk/high reward players that could be worth a lot more in a few years

I still think the midfield is lacking a lot. x-off I get what you meant 2 pages back about having the bodies, but the quality is very low imo Paqueta aside. Kessie has zero brain cells, Hakan blows hot and cold too often, Suso only playsuntil christmas and shifting him centrally could even damage that good spell, Biglia is a walking injury, same with Bonaventura. Krunic looks promising but I can't see him being anything more than a rotation mid. Bennacer definitely looks like a great move and will bring in a new dynamic to our midfield, but imo we sttill lack that one real quality guy who can make all these pieces we have link up

Also, just want to add that letting Zapata go is still one of the worst mistakes we made this summer. Keeping him would have saved us the trouble of going into the market for a CB. He was reliable, a great example in the dressing room and someone who never complains about lack of playing time. Now they're barking up the Juve tree again for one of their players...

Just checked, the only source I could find talking about a Leao deal is Goal.com (link). However, I have given up on both them and CM (not at all reliable, particularly this mercato). Nothing on MilanistiNonEvoluti or SpazioMilan (which have been more dependable in recent times). Also, the goal.com story says "very close to", not a "done deal". Given all the news we got this summer, there is a huge difference between the two :-)

EDIT:. SpazioMilan has Leao as a done deal. OTOH, Goal.com, CM, and DiMarzioNews still have this as "close" or "very close" (not "done deal"). No mention on @NonEvoluto.

I agree we need more strength midfield, but I still think getting an SS is higher in priority. I agree 100% on Zapata, would like to understand the reason we did not renew. Solid player. (Not as concerned about the others we let go, except maybe Abate.)

EDIT: one theory on why we did not keep Zapata (from another forum). We would need to pay him 2.5M or more (net), so he would cost us 5M per year and (most likely) would have no resale value. OTOH, Duarte is going to cost us ~12M and we would pay him closer to 1M, so ~6M a year (assuming a 3 year contract) with the potential for a decent resale value. Think FFP.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 26 2019, 09:15 PM) *
This as well apparently

Milan are very close to signing Flamengo central defender Leo Duarte for €11M, according to the reliable
@aleaus81

Anyone know anything about either him or Leao?

Milanisti Non Evoluti confirms we are close to a deal (link). Lucci is the agent (also represents Suso). That said, if you read the comments you see that my frustration is shared by others, "close to a deal" means nothing in this mercato.
Danny
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 26 2019, 04:39 PM) *
You got me interested :-)

Is he any good? Can he cover the SS role? How much would he cost?

Darling, I could write pages and pages on this guy.

To cover the basics:

1: Yes. But unproven at international level, can't score v Celtic and has a horrific disciplinary record.
2: Yes, but not the best. He can be very selfish but mostly inside the box. He is a decent team player but SS isn't his best position.
3: £15-25M.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 26 2019, 09:38 PM) *
Darling, I could write pages and pages on this guy.

To cover the basics:

1: Yes. But unproven at international level, can't score v Celtic and has a horrific disciplinary record.
2: Yes, but not the best. He can be very selfish but mostly inside the box. He is a decent team player but SS isn't his best position.
3: £15-25M.

Thanks. Does not sound all that interesting ...
Danny
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 26 2019, 08:50 PM) *
Thanks. Does not sound all that interesting ...

On the other hand top scorer in Scotland, and very similar to Moussa Dembele who is currently tearing it up in France and now Man Utd want him.

Dembele didn't (and still doesn't) have a cap for France. Morelos has 3 for Colombia.

If he can sort his head out he could do damage in Italy.
Forza Milan!
Apparently, Cutrone's transfer to Wolverhampton is a done deal (SpazioMilan and GdM). 18M plus bonuses. Still not official, Di Marzio's track record is pretty good, but other sites (like CM) still have him as "real close".

Sad to see him leave, but I don't think he wanted to sit on the bench for most of the year, and the prevailing opinion is that his potential is limited. Also, we need the plusvalenza for FFP and the funds to get players that fit Giampaolo's system. Hopefully Silva will be out as well soon.

Interestingly, Correa jumped back to 85% on SpazioMilan's "borsino" (earlier today he had dropped from the 90's to 40%), a possible indication that deal is contingent on he sale of either Silva or Cutrone. Leao is at 60%, Keita and Demiral 30%.

BTW, Correa scored earlier today against Real Madrid (Atletico beat them 7-3). Just a pre-season game, but this looks like a "wake up call" for Zidane. I hear that Modric's performance was not that great, so I am hoping that this will increase our (rather small) chances of getting him.
Fillipo Simone
Sad to read Cutrone will be out. I don't think moving to the Wolves is a right direction for him, but well.. We're losing a player with heart and sole, someone who could work his @ss off and still perform, unlike Borini. Still not convinced Piatek is any better or worth the sacrifice.

Han - you are completely right with Zapata. IMO letting both Zapata and Abate go was a mistake; only time will tell if this mistake is something we will pay for.

Oh and what's the status with our loaned players? Especially Locatelli?
Rossoneri7
Question on Zapata, did he contract expire? If so, he could be the one who wanted to leave?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 27 2019, 09:16 AM) *
Sad to read Cutrone will be out. I don't think moving to the Wolves is a right direction for him, but well.. We're losing a player with heart and sole, someone who could work his @ss off and still perform, unlike Borini. Still not convinced Piatek is any better or worth the sacrifice.

Han - you are completely right with Zapata. IMO letting both Zapata and Abate go was a mistake; only time will tell if this mistake is something we will pay for.

Locatelli is a Sassuolo player. They signed him for 10M.

Guys, I don’t see the situation as grim as some of you do. We already have a good enough defense (Donna, Conti/Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Theo) and a good midfield for Giampaolo’s 4-3-1-2 that lacks only one element. What we need the most are a couple of quality strikers, hence all the interest in that area.

I have faith in Maldini and Boban, they’ll build a competitive team before the start of the season. Just be patient.
Danny
Competitive in what sense? Fighting for 10th spot? In which case I firmly agree.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 27 2019, 12:57 PM) *
Competitive in what sense? Fighting for 10th spot? In which case I firmly agree.

4th.
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 26 2019, 08:26 PM) *
Just checked, the only source I could find talking about a Leao deal is Goal.com (link). However, I have given up on both them and CM (not at all reliable, particularly this mercato). Nothing on MilanistiNonEvoluti or SpazioMilan (which have been more dependable in recent times). Also, the goal.com story says "very close to", not a "done deal". Given all the news we got this summer, there is a huge difference between the two :-)

EDIT:. SpazioMilan has Leao as a done deal. OTOH, Goal.com, CM, and DiMarzioNews still have this as "close" or "very close" (not "done deal"). No mention on @NonEvoluto.

I agree we need more strength midfield, but I still think getting an SS is higher in priority. I agree 100% on Zapata, would like to understand the reason we did not renew. Solid player. (Not as concerned about the others we let go, except maybe Abate.)

EDIT: one theory on why we did not keep Zapata (from another forum). We would need to pay him 2.5M or more (net), so he would cost us 5M per year and (most likely) would have no resale value. OTOH, Duarte is going to cost us ~12M and we would pay him closer to 1M, so ~6M a year (assuming a 3 year contract) with the potential for a decent resale value. Think FFP.

All of these moves are coming out of left field. I honestly don't think even Di Marzio has any grasp on what's really going on at Casa Milan until it's bsaiclly almost done

The Silva move to Monaco collapsing has really screwed us over. Hopefully we can ship him out for good cash ASAP so we can make more moves. I'm actually excited about Correa, because he has the kind of profile we lack, but on the other hand this Leao kid looks average even on a youtube highlight real. 35m for him seems insane to me. I'd much rather have seen us try to go after a good midfielder with that kind of money rather than a kid who's only had a decent season in france. Looks like another Andre Silva to me

As for Zapata, I highly doubt he's going to be getting anywhere near the money at Genoa that he did with us. I'm sure they could have negotiated for a smaller pay packet that he would have accepted. Seems short sighted to me that we would let him go and open a can of worms that we could have avoided.

Anyway, let's see what this Duarte has to offer. I hope that at least 50% of these moves we're going for will come good

QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 27 2019, 03:31 AM) *
Apparently, Cutrone's transfer to Wolverhampton is a done deal (SpazioMilan and GdM). 18M plus bonuses. Still not official, Di Marzio's track record is pretty good, but other sites (like CM) still have him as "real close".

Sad to see him leave, but I don't think he wanted to sit on the bench for most of the year, and the prevailing opinion is that his potential is limited. Also, we need the plusvalenza for FFP and the funds to get players that fit Giampaolo's system. Hopefully Silva will be out as well soon.

Interestingly, Correa jumped back to 85% on SpazioMilan's "borsino" (earlier today he had dropped from the 90's to 40%), a possible indication that deal is contingent on he sale of either Silva or Cutrone. Leao is at 60%, Keita and Demiral 30%.

BTW, Correa scored earlier today against Real Madrid (Atletico beat them 7-3). Just a pre-season game, but this looks like a "wake up call" for Zidane. I hear that Modric's performance was not that great, so I am hoping that this will increase our (rather small) chances of getting him.

I'm not even letting myself think about Modric. I think chances of that happening are pretty slim and we shouldn't waste time on him when it's pretty much impossible and we need a creator in that midfield

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 27 2019, 09:16 AM) *

Borini is a good utility player imo, and always gives his all, it's when he's asked t play in technical roles that he loses all my support. But he really pulled us out of a couple of jams last season especially when he played LB or LWB

Locatelli became Sassuolo's outright this summer

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 27 2019, 12:57 PM) *

biggrin.gif Don't think it's that bad Danny

But with he squad as is (adding Correa , Bennacer and Leao to the equation) I still don't think it's enough.

The midfield is what's most concerning to me. The strikers won't score if we cannot get that midfield to function properly. We need a proper mezalla imo.

Bona, Biglia, Hakan and Paqueta are out most creative players in this area, 2 of them are unreliable in terms of injuries and let's not forget that Paqueta is still learning the ropes. While Hakan will be Hakan. I think it would be a fatal error to go into the season with this midfield

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 27 2019, 01:27 PM) *
4th.

I still think we need that little extra something to be sure of making that. Roma, Lazio and Atalanta will all want in on that so we need to make sure we have an edge on them, and right now, we don't imo
Forza Milan!
On Cutrone:

- Massaro posted a farewell in Instagram
- The deal is reported to be anywhere from 22M to 25M (including bonuses)
- FWIW, here is what Gentile (Sky Sports) had to say: "È un attaccante che prometteva tanto bene, a me Cutrone quando ha iniziato il percorso rossonero aveva veramente sorpreso, poi ha avuto qualche difficoltà in più secondo me, un po’ perché non aveva giocato tanto, e quando non giochi tanto il minutaggio va sempre controllato prima di dare un giudizio. È anche vero, però, che tre gol, se non sbaglio, nel giro di un anno sono pochi. È chiaro che sottoporta ci si aspettasse di più.” [Loosely translated: "He is a forward with a lot of promise, he surprised me when he started at Milan, then he had some problems, in part because he did not play much, and when you do not play much playing time needs to be taken into account. However, three goals in a year is not much. Would have expected more."]
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 27 2019, 04:00 PM) *
biggrin.gif Don't think it's that bad Danny

But with he squad as is (adding Correa , Bennacer and Leao to the equation) I still don't think it's enough.

The midfield is what's most concerning to me. The strikers won't score if we cannot get that midfield to function properly. We need a proper mezalla imo.

Bona, Biglia, Hakan and Paqueta are out most creative players in this area, 2 of them are unreliable in terms of injuries and let's not forget that Paqueta is still learning the ropes. While Hakan will be Hakan. I think it would be a fatal error to go into the season with this midfield

I still think we need that little extra something to be sure of making that. Roma, Lazio and Atalanta will all want in on that so we need to make sure we have an edge on them, and right now, we don't imo

Yup. I believe we can compete for the 4th spot, but it will be tough, hopefully the mercato is not over. Assuming we get Leao, Correa, and Duarte, then I agree that midfield is our biggest weakness.

BTW, I believe Bennacer is a done deal, meaning he has already signed. All is missing is an official presentation, but that will wait until he comes back from vacation.

As for Leao, I have some concerns but opinions are generally positive.
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 27 2019, 03:00 PM) *

Yes yes, we do. I never said we're fine as we are. We need another quality mezz'ala, a CB, and at least two strikers (assuming both Cutrone and Silva will be sold).

Personally, I'm more than fine with Musacchio starting games. I rate him, and if this Duarte guy can act as Zapata's replacement, then it's all good (also waiting for Caldara to return sometime).

What we need to do is sell Kessie. This guy is a huge hinderance, and I can't see us going anywhere if he continues to be a pivotal element of our midfield. Not sure with whom we're being linked in midfield anymore (last name I read was Praet?). Too bad we lost on the Barella deal. For him I would have sacrificed anyone in our team.

And as for attack, if we sell Cutrone and Silva, and sign Correa and someone else I think we're set.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 27 2019, 07:41 PM) *
Yes yes, we do. I never said we're fine as we are. We need another quality mezz'ala, a CB, and at least two strikers (assuming both Cutrone and Silva will be sold).

Personally, I'm more than fine with Musacchio starting games. I rate him, and if this Duarte guy can act as Zapata's replacement, then it's all good (also waiting for Caldara to return sometime).

What we need to do is sell Kessie. This guy is a huge hinderance, and I can't see us going anywhere if he continues to be a pivotal element of our midfield. Not sure with whom we're being linked in midfield anymore (last name I read was Praet?). Too bad we lost on the Barella deal. For him I would have sacrificed anyone in our team.

And as for attack, if we sell Cutrone and Silva, and sign Correa and someone else I think we're set.

I think Kessie and maybe even Hakan can do better in Gaimpaolo's system. More structure and clarity in the roles. I realize it may be wishful thinking, but ...
X-Offender
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 27 2019, 07:05 PM) *
I think Kessie and maybe even Hakan can do better in Gaimpaolo's system. More structure and clarity in the roles. I realize it may be wishful thinking, but ...

Nah man, Kessie is just thick. He's not good enough. We should sell him ASAP while his value is still around the 30M mark and there are some English clubs interested.
han2503
QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 27 2019, 04:54 PM) *
Yup. I believe we can compete for the 4th spot, but it will be tough, hopefully the mercato is not over. Assuming we get Leao, Correa, and Duarte, then I agree that midfield is our biggest weakness.

BTW, I believe Bennacer is a done deal, meaning he has already signed. All is missing is an official presentation, but that will wait until he comes back from vacation.

As for Leao, I have some concerns but opinions are generally positive.

I'm thinking this from the stand point of assuming that we'll wrap up the Bennacer, Correa, Duarte and Leao deals in the coming week or so. Although there does seem to be complete radio silence on the Correa negotiations, but I'm hoping it's because all is concluded and there is nothing left to report until they announce it

So with all that i mind, and assuming we've signed those players with only official announcements left to follow, I think we're covered in all areas aside from midfield. If we manage to bring in someone of quality to play either in the center of midfield or instead of Kessie, then I think we'd be set and have a pretty good squad going into the season

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 27 2019, 06:41 PM) *

I agree re the defense and attack. The midfield is worrying, both due to Kessie and the injury issues we have in that department

As thins stand our midfield will looks as follows

Bennacer--Biglia--Kessie

That's still pretty weak imo. Let's not forget how crucial Bakayoko was last season as well

And from what I read about Bennacer, he's much better on the side rather than in the centre where you have to be a lot more disciplined.

We don't really have anyone who can fill in for Biglia. And Kessie imo is a major weakness especially in Giampaolo's system

So ideally we need someone who replaces Kessie as a starter imo

We actually could play like so, with Hakan and Paqueta being interchangeable. But I don't know, could be a bit too attack minded

Hakan
Bennacer--Biglia--Paqueta

QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jul 27 2019, 07:05 PM) *

Nah, Hakan maybe, but I actually think Kessie will be even more exposed in a system like Giampoalo's where you have to be smart to carry out what's required of you. Kessie, is terrible at keeping the ball moving quickly and that's what Giampaolo wants from his teams. Last season I wanted to pull my hair out every time he lifted the ball off the ground to pass to somene close to him instead of making a simple quick pass.

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 27 2019, 10:24 PM) *
Nah man, Kessie is just thick. He's not good enough. We should sell him ASAP while his value is still around the 30M mark and there are some English clubs interested.

Agreed. We need to try to offload him to some English club that's stupid enough to give us good money for him

Right now aside from the midfield, I really am curious to see who else we'll sell. Cutrone is gone, Silva has a foot out the door, but Suso, Castillejo, Kessie, Laxalt could all be moved on for decent money, so we should be working on that front especially on the Spaniards, who don't really fit into the system we'll use
Fillipo Simone
Selling Kessie seems unlikely because there have been no rumors of any kind linking him to someone or even suggesting he'll be leaving.

Still not sure why you guys are so positive. Compete for the 4th? Maybe, but we have so many unknown variables that we might finish 4th if opposition (Roma and Lazio) allow us, or we might finish 8th or 9th. Leoa? Correa? Duarte? Bennacer? Krunic? Complete shots in the dark, beside Correa. What we need is stability and experience, someone who can contribute and perform with continuity. Up until now none of our players comes to mind beside Romagnoli.

Oh and yes, Giampaolo is a question mark as well. First time at a big club after years of (mostly) Serie B football. Has a tendency to make his teams unpredictable and drop form unexpectedly, something in the lines of that old hack Spalletti y'all used to adore some time ago.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 28 2019, 03:38 PM) *
Selling Kessie seems unlikely because there have been no rumors of any kind linking him to someone or even suggesting he'll be leaving.

Still not sure why you guys are so positive. Compete for the 4th? Maybe, but we have so many unknown variables that we might finish 4th if opposition (Roma and Lazio) allow us, or we might finish 8th or 9th. Leoa? Correa? Duarte? Bennacer? Krunic? Complete shots in the dark, beside Correa. What we need is stability and experience, someone who can contribute and perform with continuity. Up until now none of our players comes to mind beside Romagnoli.

Oh and yes, Giampaolo is a question mark as well. First time at a big club after years of (mostly) Serie B football. Has a tendency to make his teams unpredictable and drop form unexpectedly, something in the lines of that old hack Spalletti y'all used to adore some time ago.

Hmm, true. You have a point, a lot of things could easily turn out pear shaped for us.

I think so far we've made a lot of risky moves for young players, and I fear that we're mostly just looking at these players with an outlook for what their potential price could be a few years down the line.

But still, I think we've made some good moves that improve on what we had last season. Bennacer for me is someone who I think is going to be a huge asset going forward. Leao and Duarte are complete shots in the dark but they're going to be back ups so I'm not too worried.

And yes, I agree that we lack experience, it's what I want in the midfield tbh, someone with experience and quality who can make the difference, don't know who that could be at this point but it's what I think we need to make everything click

Agreed about Giampaolo as well, but sometimes you just have to have a bit of faith on these things. He's definitely a more astute tactician than Rino who took us to a single point away from 4th, so I'm hoping that extra bit of know how will put us over the edge
X-Offender
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 28 2019, 03:12 PM) *
As thins stand our midfield will looks as follows

Bennacer--Biglia--Kessie

That's still pretty weak imo. Let's not forget how crucial Bakayoko was last season as well

And from what I read about Bennacer, he's much better on the side rather than in the centre where you have to be a lot more disciplined.

That's incorrect. Bennacer was signed with the sole intention of covering the slot left open from Bakayoko. He'll be positioned in front of the defense. It's also the position he covered at Empoli.

Right now, our midfield look like this:

Kessie - Bennacer - Paqueta
Hakan/Suso

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 28 2019, 03:38 PM) *

You want stability and experience, but at what cost do you intend to achieve that? Did you forget we just got kicked from Europe because we amassed a ridiculous 126M loss for 2018/19?

We need a fresh start, with young and relatively inexpensive players. Unless you want to splash a fortune for the likes of Bale, James Rodriguez and friends in order to get that stability and experience you strive for.

This is the best we can afford right now, and given the circumstances, I think Maldini and Boban are doing a pretty good job thus far.
han2503
Not going to contradict you about Bennacer, because I'm not sure, we'll see

You make a good point and I'd agree, had we not just spent 30m on a Portuguese kid who only had a singl good season in the French league.

Add to that, there's talk that the Correa deal is stalling because of this, which is worrying. We need a proper SS, so all this is making me a bit weary

Btw, anyone watching the friendly against Benfica? I have to say we look decent so far
Fillipo Simone
I gave up long ago on these pre-season matches. I somehow came to the conclusion that you can learn little about the true quality of the team from them.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 28 2019, 11:04 PM) *
I gave up long ago on these pre-season matches. I somehow came to the conclusion that you can learn little about the true quality of the team from them.

Correct. I learned this from Rangers - promising pre-seasons then league action a completely different animal. Serie A is similar - a far different beast to a friendly.
CrazyMilanFan
So leao (30m) and durate (11m) both being quoted as a 41 m deal. We raised 18 from curtone.

Can't say anything how this will end up. For leao the 30m is highly risky especially considering how bad experience we had with silva.
Danny
Leao a far better player to Silva, and a better prospect. 10 goals/asists in 24 in France at age 20 for the second top team to PSG only is a fair chunk better than anything you can do in Portugal. Whether he has the mental strength to deliver in our shirt is the real question, but I wouldn't compare to Silva.

This is a signing I'm happy with.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 28 2019, 07:18 PM) *
You want stability and experience, but at what cost do you intend to achieve that? Did you forget we just got kicked from Europe because we amassed a ridiculous 126M loss for 2018/19?

We need a fresh start, with young and relatively inexpensive players. Unless you want to splash a fortune for the likes of Bale, James Rodriguez and friends in order to get that stability and experience you strive for.

This is the best we can afford right now, and given the circumstances, I think Maldini and Boban are doing a pretty good job thus far.

Indeed.

The current strategy is risky, no question there. OTOH, I am not sure we have much of a choice. We cannot buy "proven players", cannot afford most of them (as we have to play by FFP rules). The only "proven players" we can afford are the ones that are struggling (Bale and James fall in that category, IMHO), and (based on past experience) that approach is not going to guarantee success (think Bonucci and Higuain). So we need to go for the ones that have potential (and hope they do not turn into flops). Need to go for youth (so if they do well they will have resale value). It is what other Serie A teams have been doing, including successful ones (think Napoli). And it will take time (took Napoli a few years before they started competing at the top of Serie A).

Giampaolo is consistent with the strategy, and we are banking on his ability to build player value (which he has done before). But, yes, he is "unproven", which means he is a risk, and that may mean we do not make the 4th CL spot.

And yes, so far I also believe M&B are doing a decent job.
Forza Milan!
QUOTE (han2503 @ Jul 28 2019, 09:47 PM) *
You make a good point and I'd agree, had we not just spent 30m on a Portuguese kid who only had a singl good season in the French league.

Sadly, by today standards 30M is not that much
Forza Milan!
Gianluigi Donnarumma: Even though this is just a preseason game Gigio was spectacular. During multiple points in the match he faced an attacker 1 on 1 and he stopped them each time. Gigio looked in mid season form as he bailed out Milan from a few mistakes on defence. 7.5/10

Davide Calabria: The starting right back job seems like Calabria’s to lose at this point. However he could use some work on offence. Defensively he is solid but his pace going forward might be a problem in such a narrow formation. 6/10

Matteo Musacchio: Well new year same mediocre Musacchio. Musacchio per usual is average, he’ll make a good play then give the ball away in the next possession. This is preseason still so hey maybe he can still improve under Giampaolo. 6/10

Alessio Romagnoli: To counter act Musacchio and his mediocrity Giampaolo put him next to a brick wall. Romagnoli is always solid as he basically gives me no material to write about. It was interesting to note that it seems that Giampaolo wants Alessio to be more of a distributor on the back line 7/10

Ricardo Rodriguez: After what I saw what Theo Hernandez did in the last match it is hard to compare Rodriguez to him. Rodriguez is solid but he lacks the pace to contribute on offence. Against Bayern Hernandez made forward runs all by his lonesome but Rodriguez is just incapable of doing so. 6.5/10

Fabio Borini: Borini as a midfielder, well I still don't like it but it’s the preseason so why not experiment a bit. Borini like always is the hardest worker on the pitch but his performances on the Milan social media accounts are better than his performances on the pitch. 6/10

Lucas Biglia: Aside from a marvellous free kick that struck the cross bar Biglia was subpar. In possession he takes his time and might not get rid of the ball quick enough for this system. Not to mention he was the one who gave away the ball that led to the Benfica goal 5/10

Hakan Calhanoglu: Hakan playing in a more natural position has improved his play for sure but he continues to insist on taking long shots. Doubt he would in the starting eleven at the start of the year barring any injuries. 6/10

Suso: If Silvio Berlusconi saw this lineup it would have brought a smile to his face because Suso finally played as an attacking midfielder. Surprisingly he fit the role and played good passes to the strikers to create scoring chances. 6.5/10

Samu Castillejo: Another chance for Castillejo to prove that he is able to play as a second striker and another chance possibly blown. A number of times Castillejo had an opportunity to score and on every chance he failed to capitalize. 6/10

Krzysztof Piatek: For the second straight game Piatek didn't get much service. Only really getting one opportunity to put the ball in the net and he failed to do so. 5.5/10

SUBSTITUTES
Pepe Reina: Coming on at the start of the second half Reina put in solid minutes as usual. However I'm not really sure why Reina is getting this time and why youngster Alessandro Plizzari doesn't see any time on the field. 6/10

Andrea Conti: Giving another opportunity to prove that he is back from his countless injuries. It is apparent that Conti just isn't there yet and it might take him more time to get back to playing regularly. 5.5/10

Matteo Gabbia: After last match’s great performance I felt that Gabbia should have been given the opportunity to start. Gabbia came in a did his job, it would be nice to see him next to Romagnoli in the next match. 6/10

Rade Krunic: A debut for the newest Rossoneri. Krunic wasn't given much time to incorporate himself into that match and didn't make much of an impact. It would have been nice to see more of Krunic and maybe even put him in the starting eleven in place of Fabio Borini. 6/10

Ivan Strinic: Well it looks like Ivan Strinic should be the odd man out at the left back position. To be completely frank he just doesn't have it and Milan should took to ship him off. 5/10

Marco Brescianini: N/A

Daniel Maldini: N/A

(source)
X-Offender
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Jul 29 2019, 04:52 PM) *
So leao (30m) and durate (11m) both being quoted as a 41 m deal. We raised 18 from curtone.

Can't say anything how this will end up. For leao the 30m is highly risky especially considering how bad experience we had with silva.

Skeptical about Leao, but we just have to have faith in Boban and Maldini. They're very good football conoseurs, especially Boban, who apparently was the one who wanted him.
CrazyMilanFan
so assuming that we get correa after leao and durate, we should then look to sell silva and wingers (castillejo or suso) and try to get some quality midfielder

Fillipo Simone
I've heard Suso impressed as trequartista against Benfica, yes?

My priority for selling:
- Silva
- Kessie
- Castillejo
- Biglia
- Strinić (is he a Milan player?)

And well... I hate to say it but I'm so unconfortable with our fullbacks right now. Calabria is mediocre and is a ideal backup. Conti is a question mark and this could be his last shot. Hernandez I don't know, Rodriguez on the other hand should be played as CB and nothing else.
CrazyMilanFan
strinic should be our player i think he even played one of the friendlies. Regarding suso we have his contract issues as well, i doubt they will get any better now considering that we now offer a lower salary then before.

for fullbacks it is definitely a hit or miss. Hernandez i believe is injured as well.
X-Offender
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Jul 30 2019, 10:36 AM) *
so assuming that we get correa after leao and durate, we should then look to sell silva and wingers (castillejo or suso) and try to get some quality midfielder

I don't think we'll sign Correa if we get Leao.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 30 2019, 10:47 AM) *
I've heard Suso impressed as trequartista against Benfica, yes?

My priority for selling:
- Silva
- Kessie
- Castillejo
- Biglia
- Strinić (is he a Milan player?)

And well... I hate to say it but I'm so unconfortable with our fullbacks right now. Calabria is mediocre and is a ideal backup. Conti is a question mark and this could be his last shot. Hernandez I don't know, Rodriguez on the other hand should be played as CB and nothing else.

Hernandez impressed a lot before he left injured vs Bayern, no? And here's to hoping this is Conti's year.

QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Jul 30 2019, 11:12 AM) *
strinic should be our player i think he even played one of the friendlies. Regarding suso we have his contract issues as well, i doubt they will get any better now considering that we now offer a lower salary then before.

for fullbacks it is definitely a hit or miss. Hernandez i believe is injured as well.

Strinic shouldn't be considered. He was garbage before his heart problems, imagine now after one year of inactivity.
X-Offender
Starting line-up thus far:

Donnarumma
Conti - Musacchio - Romagnoli - Theo
Suso/Hakan
Leao - Piatek

Thoughts?
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 30 2019, 02:41 PM) *
Starting line-up thus far:

Donnarumma
Conti - Musacchio - Romagnoli - Theo
Suso/Hakan
Leao - Piatek

Thoughts?

First thing is that the oldest player is Musacchio who is 28 i believe. rest are all 25 or less. So a very young team. The defense and mid is somewhat same as last year ( in terms of overall quality/expectations). For attack (top-3) we need Piatek to be on form and hopefully Leao and Suso/Hakan to play a true trequista role. Although i believe the most ideal player behind the strikers would be Paqueta
X-Offender
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Jul 30 2019, 05:40 PM) *
Although i believe the most ideal player behind the strikers would be Paqueta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kooNKyCR35c

His past at Flamengo and his games with us last season are a clear indicator that Paqueta is no trequartista. But I could be proven wrong.
Fillipo Simone
I think expecting Leao and Bennacer to be immediate starters is a pipe dream. Especially counting on Leao to be a starter seems to me naive: the kid scored 8 goals and made 2 assists, he must adapt to the system and we must se if he can pull off a SS. I think he's mainly here because he's young and because we wanted a 2 in 1 striker who could pull off both positions. If we don't sign Correa our attack is insufficient.

As for Bennacer, we shall see. Much praise for the kid makes me hope he'll turn out good. But expecting him to fill Bakayoko's position immediately isn't realistic. It will be either Biglia starting, or (I hope) we manage to ship Biglia off to Genoa and sign a experienced organizer.

You got me wrong back few days ago. When I said Milan must sign experienced players I wasn't thinking about Ronaldo or Bale who are unattractable. Nor did I mean has-beens like Higuain. I meant the thing Monaco did by signing experienced and intelligent players like Moutinho or Falcao. We need those kind of players (not them specifically because they are now too old). Because starting Serie A with a team full of kids and question marks and having a coach with zero experience at big clubs is a sure recipe for disaster. Especially now that the calendar is set and we can expect things heating up immensely around November.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.