Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [CL] Champions League 2017-18
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 20 2017, 10:05 PM) *
+1

Aside from the Allegri bit. What exactly has he proven? That you can win with a top squad?

Dunno, ask Guardiola wink.gif

You and Han will never give Allegri any credit. I've embraced that.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 19 2017, 10:41 PM) *
As a football fan, part of me thinks Juve, or specifically Buffon deserves to win this thing. I hate them but you have to admire what they've achieved under Allegri - he's proved everyone (apart from me and Kurt) utterly wrong about him and he's taken Juve beyond Conte.

Four teams left and it's anyone's at this point.

Sorry, but he hasn't convinced me of anything that I don't already know. He's a decent coach as long as he has a good team. Once that is compromised, forget about it

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 20 2017, 10:05 PM) *
+1

Aside from the Allegri bit. What exactly has he proven? That you can win with a top squad?

This
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 21 2017, 06:53 PM) *
Dunno, ask Guardiola wink.gif

You and Han will never give Allegri any credit. I've embraced that.

There are MANY others who think the same way about Allegri as we do

Oh, and how any Milan fan could entertain the idea of wanting Juve to win a CL is beyond me. Absolutely can't stand that team and their choker status in the CL is something that should be celebrated by Milan fans
Fillipo Simone
Indeed, indeed.
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 23 2017, 04:03 PM) *
There are MANY others who think the same way about Allegri as we do

+1
Danny
Then they're all wrong. Sorry, but you all are tongue.gif

The guy could go to Arsenal (as looks likely now) and win the title and you'll find some way to discredit him.

And I'm bored arguing with you all about it smile.gif

PS I don't want Juve to win, I just have respect for Buffon and he personally deserves it. You know, that 18 year old's HERO? wink.gif
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 23 2017, 02:02 PM) *
He's a decent coach as long as he has a good team. Once that is compromised, forget about it

GUARDIOLAKLOPPANCELOTTIHIDDINKMOURINHOWENGERRANIERI

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

biggrin.gif
X-Offender
Sorry Danny, but the scars from Allegri's stay at Milan still hurt. The sheer atrocities he committed while managing us cannot be overshadowed by whatever success he achieves.

Unless he wins a treble. laugh.gif
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 24 2017, 07:25 PM) *
Sorry Danny, but the scars from Allegri's stay at Milan still hurt. The sheer atrocities he committed while managing us cannot be overshadowed by whatever success he achieves.

And with our new-found civility I'll gracefully bow out the debate smile.gif
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 25 2017, 01:55 AM) *

I'm with Danny on this. He's a damn good coach, and he's only improved after leaving Milan. Not many coaches can deal with having their entire midfield ripped apart and given a brand new option. He's still managed to make a very capable side and have them fight.

I hope he goes to Arsenal. I daresay he will school Conte and Pep in a couple of seasons' time. Poch and Klopp might give him trouble. He's still suspect against genuine defensive pressing. But I suppose all coaches are.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 24 2017, 01:05 PM) *
Then they're all wrong. Sorry, but you all are tongue.gif

The guy could go to Arsenal (as looks likely now) and win the title and you'll find some way to discredit him.

And I'm bored arguing with you all about it smile.gif

PS I don't want Juve to win, I just have respect for Buffon and he personally deserves it. You know, that 18 year old's HERO? wink.gif

The day he takes Arsenal to a title I'll eat a lemon...

And you can point out all the coaches who've had great successes with great teams all you like, but it still doesn't change OUR experiances with him as the coach of our Club. The idiocies I witnessed from him were astonishing, this is the man who played Urby f@cking Emmanuelson in the trequartista position, just because he could not deviate from a formation he likes. How anyone could defend his coaching while at Milan is beyond me

As for his time at Juve, he's had it easy from the word Go at Juve. and has barely had to use a single brain cell to do what he's done there.
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 28 2017, 11:07 PM) *

And you can point out all the coaches who've had great successes with great teams all you like, but it still doesn't change OUR experiances with him as the coach of our Club. The idiocies I witnessed from him were astonishing, this is the man who played Urby f@cking Emmanuelson in the trequartista position, just because he could not deviate from a formation he likes. How anyone could defend his coaching while at Milan is beyond me

As for his time at Juve, he's had it easy from the word Go at Juve. and has barely had to use a single brain cell to do what he's done there.

Wow, if you bit a lemon, IT would make the face!
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 29 2017, 01:07 AM) *

Actually he played more in "Messi position" and some were considering him more than decent as a Right Winger.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 29 2017, 11:22 AM) *

You don't agree with what he's saying?

QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ Apr 29 2017, 12:21 PM) *
Actually he played more in "Messi position" and some were considering him more than decent as a Right Winger.

C'mon now buddy, let's not joke about it. Urby was abysmal, to say the least.
d'Arc.LP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 29 2017, 02:27 PM) *

C'mon now buddy, let's not joke about it. Urby was abysmal, to say the least.

Sure biggrin.gif And he could play in so many positions, LB, LCM, LW, RW, Trequartista and SS if we were in need.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 29 2017, 12:27 PM) *

Share the lemon buddy wink.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 29 2017, 11:22 AM) *

Too bad that day shall never come as Max will never win a title with Arsenal (heard it hear first)
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 29 2017, 04:09 PM) *
Too bad that day shall never come as Max will never win a title with Arsenal (heard it hear first)

*wins the UCL*

Han & X - 'it was the players wot done it' biggrin.gif

*loses a match*

Han & X - 'el oh el at Max' biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 29 2017, 04:12 PM) *
*wins the UCL*

Han & X - 'it was the players wot done it' biggrin.gif

*loses a match*

Han & X - 'el oh el at Max' biggrin.gif

If he wins the CL, I'll consider his time at Juve a success, but it still does not negate his utter failure with us
X-Offender
Allegri starting line-up in 2015: Buffon; Litchsteiner, Bonucci, Chiellini, Evra; Marchisio, Pirlo, Pogba, Vidal; Tevez, Morata.

Allegri starting line-up in 2017: Buffon; Dani Alves, Bonucci, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic; Mandzukic, Dybala, Cuadrado; Higuain.

Man, it must be so tough for a coach to win the league with such a poor selection of players.

Seriously, get real, Danny. Allegri has been steamrolling in Italy with the best team in the league, having either big-time chokers like Napoli or Roma as contenders, while Milan and Inter continue to delve into mediocrity.

His big achievement was the 2015 CL final. This time around he got dealt the easy hand, facing Porto, Monaco and a Barça side at the end of their cycle.

I will give him one thing, though. He has clearly changed mentality, as in he always wants to win regardless of the circumstances. That's a big plus for me. During his Milan days the guy was terrible in this aspect. Remember when Zlatan was about to assault him when he said in the dressing room that "the important thing is that we passed" after we had lost 3-0 to Arsenal? One of his many, many flaws back then.
Danny
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 29 2017, 20:10 PM) *
Seriously, get real, X. Pep has been steamrolling in Spain with the best team in the league, having either big-time chokers like Valencia or Jose's Real as contenders, while Sevilla and Atletico continue to delve into mediocrity.

His big achievement was the 2009 CL success. This time around he got dealt the easy hand with a Utd side at the end of their cycle.

I could do this all night. It's my opinion X, I will respect yours even if I disagree with it. Just please don't insult me just because I won't come round to you and Han's way of thinking.

This, I swear, is my final ever post on Allegri. You won't get me discussing him on here ever again.

/peace out
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Apr 29 2017, 05:16 PM) *
If he wins the CL, I'll consider his time at Juve a success, but it still does not negate his utter failure with us

Let's move on my friend.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 29 2017, 08:05 PM) *
I could do this all night. It's my opinion X, I will respect yours even if I disagree with it. Just please don't insult me just because I won't come round to you and Han's way of thinking.

This, I swear, is my final ever post on Allegri. You won't get me discussing him on here ever again.

/peace out

Who's insulting you? Rather, you're the one using ironic remarks while me and Han are trying to give our own two cents on the matter.
han2503
Honestly don't know what you guys see in the man... Just baffling, especially after some of the embarrassments we've experienced with him as coach

Danny, I respect your opinions, you know that. I just don't understand why we can't have an adult conversation about Allegri. It's not like we're arguing here. I don't think it's as unhealthy a conversation as you think it is
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 30 2017, 12:20 AM) *
I will give him one thing, though. He has clearly changed mentality, as in he always wants to win regardless of the circumstances. That's a big plus for me. During his Milan days the guy was terrible in this aspect. Remember when Zlatan was about to assault him when he said in the dressing room that "the important thing is that we passed" after we had lost 3-0 to Arsenal? One of his many, many flaws back then.

I think that's the point Danny and I are making. The same way players improve, so do coaches. And Allegri has really gone up leaps and bounds since his days at Milan. I hate to say it, but the Milan experience and disappointments has actually made him a better coach. He's gotten better at handling egos, dealing with tactics, getting flexible etc. He's not a colourful personality but he's a damn good coach.

FWIW, I think Montella will only get better too. What we have to do is ensure to give him the kind of support so he can constantly innovate and do better. The amount of games he's got under his belt as coach for his age is really good. Not too often you get young coaches with a lot of experience.
Danny
@ X and Han

I love ye both, but I just don't want to talk Allegri ever again on here. It's a circular argument where no one will ever agree. So peace smile.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ May 1 2017, 02:14 AM) *
@ X and Han

I love ye both, but I just don't want to talk Allegri ever again on here. It's a circular argument where no one will ever agree. So peace smile.gif

Well going by that stand, everything on this forum is pretty circular considering how few of use regularly come here. So does that mean we shouldn't talk about anything because it tends to go in circles?
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 1 2017, 03:53 PM) *
Well going by that stand, everything on this forum is pretty circular considering how few of use regularly come here. So does that mean we shouldn't talk about anything because it tends to go in circles?

Han fella, don't be an *ss. Please respect my stance rather than arguing.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (Danny @ May 1 2017, 08:44 AM) *
@ X and Han

Oh that's just swell. Just the both of them then. What am I Danny? A f@cking potato? dry.gif
Danny
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 2 2017, 12:34 PM) *
Oh that's just swell. Just the both of them then. What am I Danny? A f@cking potato? dry.gif

You sound like a lover scorned.
Danny
Can't see past Juve for this. They've gone three matches in a row without conceding a goal, didn't concede any against Barca in the entire tournament, and made a very strong Monaco look frankly a bit one dimensional on their own patch.

They are about as strong as Mourinho's Inter of 2010 (maybe stronger) and I don't think even Real Madrid at their best can stop this.

God knows how Allegri's done it, he's gone beyond even my expectations, but he may just have turned them into the best club team in the world.

They are nearly impossible to break down, they score when they need to, can actually play a bit of football, and the best teams in Europe just can't score against them.

And I absolutely hate them. Going by this Serie A is decades behind them. But then it only took Jose to leave for Inter to fall apart, so if Allegri does go to Arsenal...

Ry4n
QUOTE (Danny @ May 4 2017, 02:53 AM) *
Can't see past Juve for this. They've gone three matches in a row without conceding a goal, didn't concede any against Barca in the entire tournament, and made a very strong Monaco look frankly a bit one dimensional on their own patch.

They are about as strong as Mourinho's Inter of 2010 (maybe stronger) and I don't think even Real Madrid at their best can stop this.

God knows how Allegri's done it, he's gone beyond even my expectations, but he may just have turned them into the best club team in the world.

They are nearly impossible to break down, they score when they need to, can actually play a bit of football, and the best teams in Europe just can't score against them.

And I absolutely hate them. Going by this Serie A is decades behind them. But then it only took Jose to leave for Inter to fall apart, so if Allegri does go to Arsenal...

They have the money , the stadium they are miles ahead of many in Serie A and will be for sometime...I don't think Allegri has changed much , hes got wiser but that was bound to happen as he got my exp from CL....he has world class players at his disposal something we were keen on selling to balance the books..and as that Jose guy says you can't make a good omelette with bad eggs...

They are prolly going to keep 4th spot open for Serie A teams to all be it enter the CL..
Danny
QUOTE (Ry4n @ May 4 2017, 12:53 AM) *
They have the money , the stadium they are miles ahead of many in Serie A and will be for sometime...I don't think Allegri has changed much , hes got wiser but that was bound to happen as he got my exp from CL....he has world class players at his disposal something we were keen on selling to balance the books..and as that Jose guy says you can't make a good omelette with bad eggs...

They are prolly going to keep 4th spot open for Serie A teams to all be it enter the CL..

Juve have mostly inferior players to Monaco and Barca yet have dominated both teams. It's not just down to the players. There's a unity, a 'die for each other' mentality in there - they've grown from the Conte underachievers into Europe's dominant team.

I mean let's not forget, it's not a massively different squad to what Conte had, and he is an exceptional manager. But couldn't take them past the last 16 in Europe. Or was it the quarters.
Fillipo Simone
Mostly inferior players to Monaco???? Please, do tell more about this. What's the score?
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 4 2017, 11:22 AM) *
Mostly inferior players to Monaco???? Please, do tell more about this. What's the score?

0-2.

I'd rather have Mbappe and Falcao than Dybala and Higuain for a start. Then there's Moutinho, Mendy, Glik, and Sidibe. Juve have only one player I'd say is stronger than what Monaco have - Buffon over Subasic.

As a collective Juve have a better defence but individually the players are not special. No one is going to tell me Chiellini is a great defender - the guy is brutal. What he IS is a great leader. Alongside workhorses. And that makes their backline incredibly tough to get past.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ May 4 2017, 04:18 PM) *
0-2.

I'd rather have Mbappe and Falcao than Dybala and Higuain for a start. Then there's Moutinho, Mendy, Glik, and Sidibe. Juve have only one player I'd say is stronger than what Monaco have - Buffon over Subasic.

As a collective Juve have a better defence but individually the players are not special. No one is going to tell me Chiellini is a great defender - the guy is brutal. What he IS is a great leader. Alongside workhorses. And that makes their backline incredibly tough to get past.

blink.gif

Juve have a team full of top players. Buffon, Alves, Bonucci, Chiellini, Khedira, Marchisio, Pjanic, Cuadrado, Dybala, Higuain. Who the hell are Moutinho, Glik, Sidibe et al in comparison? They don't even come close. The only player that can compete in this context is Mbappe, and that's it.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 5 2017, 05:32 AM) *
blink.gif

Juve have a team full of top players. Buffon, Alves, Bonucci, Chiellini, Khedira, Marchisio, Pjanic, Cuadrado, Dybala, Higuain. Who the hell are Moutinho, Glik, Sidibe et al in comparison? They don't even come close. The only player that can compete in this context is Mbappe, and that's it.

Yeah actually. Mbappe vs Dybala and Higuain vs a fully fit Falcao are the only times when Monaco draw with Juve on talent. Rest of the time, Juve win.

In any case the individuality doesn't matter. Football in this decade has all been about collective efforts in defense and attack, and as much automation of plays as possible. It's almost becoming like American football. Ugh!

Soon football coaches will have a playbook and registas will call plays in advance.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 4 2017, 11:02 PM) *
blink.gif

I give you Buffon, Dybala and Higuain (albeit not the latter two versus Monaco's offering), but you seem to be forgetting the players whom you're obvious to the existence of are about to beat PSG fair and square for the Ligue 1 title WHILE still being in UCL along with it.

I respect your opinion but your unfamiliarity with Monaco's players doesn't make Juve's better. It just means you need to educate yourself - this time last week you didn't even know who Mbappe was!
Danny
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 5 2017, 09:32 AM) *
Yeah actually. Mbappe vs Dybala and Higuain vs a fully fit Falcao are the only times when Monaco draw with Juve on talent. Rest of the time, Juve win.

For those who don't know Monaco's players, maybe...

In any case the individuality doesn't matter. Football in this decade has all been about collective efforts in defense and attack, and as much automation of plays as possible. It's almost becoming like American football. Ugh!

This is why Juve have been a huge success. It's not about individual quality as much any more, but about tactics and team effort. One thing I will say that they have over both Barca and Monaco is physical strength. They're big lads - only wee players I can think of at Juve are Dybala and maybe Pjanic. Rest are all mountains.
X-Offender
Couldn't disagree more, Danny. Saying Monaco's players are on the same level as Juve's is a baffling thing to say, but then again Juve proved otherwise two nights ago so there's not much to discuss. smile.gif
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 5 2017, 07:06 PM) *
Couldn't disagree more, Danny. Saying Monaco's players are on the same level as Juve's is a baffling thing to say, but then again Juve proved otherwise two nights ago so there's not much to discuss. smile.gif

Now you know how I feel when you and Han talk absolute shite about Allegri wink.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ May 4 2017, 11:17 AM) *
Juve have mostly inferior players to Monaco and Barca yet have dominated both teams. It's not just down to the players. There's a unity, a 'die for each other' mentality in there - they've grown from the Conte underachievers into Europe's dominant team.

I mean let's not forget, it's not a massively different squad to what Conte had, and he is an exceptional manager. But couldn't take them past the last 16 in Europe. Or was it the quarters.

Really? You say this and then don't want to get into discussions about Allegri. I mean honestly Danny, you're being way too transparent here

Barca have been p!ss poor this season and they're no where near their best, and no where near the efficient machine they were when they wiped Juve's sorry @sses in the final a couple years ago.

Their trashing against PSG showed this and them miraculously getting through thanks to a couple of soft pens and a Neymar free-kick really says it all about how Barca have fallen this year.

We'll see what they do in the final, but you're kidding yourself if you're trying to paint Allegri to be some genius mastermind behind the underdog's success. Juve have one of the best teams in Europe, their defence is better than either Real's or Barca's probably better than Bayern's as well considering how difficult Carlo has founf it to consistently field the same 4 at the back this season. Their midfield is also still great despite losing Pogba and Pirlo, and they have the 90m guy in Higuain. If you think that's underdog status then I don't know what else to say

Monaco have always been the dark horse here. They have a splendidly talented young side, but their inexperience showed against a clever old side like Juve.

Allegri might have learned from some of his serious errors at Milan, but he's no coaching genius. He's working with the best team in the league (by a country mile) and one of the best teams in Europe, he is where he should be and anything less atm would be a failure
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ May 5 2017, 10:20 AM) *
This is why Juve have been a huge success. It's not about individual quality as much any more, but about tactics and team effort. One thing I will say that they have over both Barca and Monaco is physical strength. They're big lads - only wee players I can think of at Juve are Dybala and maybe Pjanic. Rest are all mountains.

That's always been the case with Juve, it's what Conte built and Allegri has been smart enough to carry that on, unlike when he was with us and we were all about the individual talent.

Juve, from their first successful season under Conte (especially that one) have always been about the collective and not the individuals. That's why I've always said that Allegri lost that Scudetto to a group of players far more inferior to the ones he had but to an incredibly strong collective, which he was never able to build himself while with us, no matter all the talent he had at his disposal

Having said that, the Juve of today is still an incredibly strong collective thanks to all the work done by Conte, but they're also a strong collective of great individual talent, and that's why they're so great. The foundation built by Conte has stayed there, but they have also added players which imo or top class and some are the best in their respective positions. I think this is the area in which Allegri has had success at Juve, he incorporated the new players, who are all top class into the foundation that was already there very seamlessly

Like I ssaid last week, if Juve win this CL, I will give Allegri the credit he deserves, but that still does not erase what he did with us, which is nothing short of a massive failure, and when he was with us, he also showed us how ugly his teams could play if he doesn't have the resources
Rossoneri7
Coaches evolve with the exposure and experience. Allegri took Milan and learned Serie A and CL (He had access to training and game plan regiments of his predecessors at Milan). When he moved to Juve they had an excellent team and he morphed it into what it is today. I wouldn't discredit Allegri by stating he took where Conti left off, on the contrary I find his playing style different to that of Conti.

Ancelotti, the greatest tactician alive IMHO. He left Milan and won everything worthy of winning. But that all came with exposure and experience.
han2503
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 6 2017, 07:45 PM) *
Coaches evolve with the exposure and experience. Allegri took Milan and learned Serie A and CL (He had access to training and game plan regiments of his predecessors at Milan). When he moved to Juve they had an excellent team and he morphed it into what it is today. I wouldn't discredit Allegri by stating he took where Conti left off, on the contrary I find his playing style different to that of Conti.

Ancelotti, the greatest tactician alive IMHO. He left Milan and won everything worthy of winning. But that all came with exposure and experience.

Like I said, I think his best success has come by being able to integrate the big name players with the foundation built by Conte. So I agree that to an extent he has done well at Juve, but I still believe that is all thanks to the work Conte did with that team.

Answer me this, do you think that had Allegri gone to Juve instead of Milan back in 2010 instead of Conte that he would be as successful with them as he is now? For me, that's a big fat no.

Without Conte, Juve would have never gotten to where they are now, at least not anytime soon

As for playing style, of course it's different, Conte's Juve was beautiful to watch but ruthless at the same time, I don't think they have that edge now that they did back under Conte.
kurtsimonw
I hoped this place would have changed, still some weird obsession with Allegri.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 21 2017, 06:40 PM) *

Haha. Well it's the fag end of a season, that although not too bad hasn't really set us up with a renaissance has it? So this was bound to happen. All the pet peeves coming out.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 21 2017, 12:10 PM) *

Don't even MENTION Zapata biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ May 21 2017, 10:46 PM) *
Don't even MENTION Zapata biggrin.gif

I prefer Zapata over Allegri...
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 23 2017, 07:10 AM) *
I prefer Zapata over Allegri...

Don't even MENTION Muntari biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.