AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 20 2014, 10:02 PM) *
Simeone might be a d*ck

Might be? biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 20 2014, 09:19 PM) *
Problem is, such motivation-oriented coaches rarely last long.

Huh, why would you say that? Mourinho is in the same mould imo and he's been around for years now
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 21 2014, 12:20 PM) *
Huh, why would you say that? Mourinho is in the same mould imo and he's been around for years now

Mourinho is also a tactical master. He isn't driven like Simeone; such coaches usually burn out quickly but we'll see.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 22 2014, 12:24 AM) *
Mourinho is also a tactical master. He isn't driven like Simeone; such coaches usually burn out quickly but we'll see.

Do you have any proof or examples to base this claim?
Fillipo Simone
NT coaches like the Mexican guy, long-time Croatian NT coach Blažević, Hiddink to a degree as well. Then you have people like Otto Rehhagel, Marco Tardelli, etc.
kurtsimonw
Bilic seemed a bit like that as well. Very much a talker. You'd know better than me on that one though.
Fillipo Simone
Agreed. Count him in as well.
kurtsimonw
If Ronaldo continues to score at the rate he has been so far in La Liga, by the end of the seas he will have 67 league goals.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Nov 20 2014, 08:19 PM) *
Problem is, such motivation-oriented coaches rarely last long.

I'd hate Milan to end up like Simeone's Atletico.

2012. 5th. 2013 3rd. 2014. 1st. 2014/2014 - 3rd.

Last 16 of the CL with room to spare, CL final the previous season, with a squad the best of which was sold in the summer.

Managing to challenge at the top again despite losing Costa, Courtous, Luis.

Yes, big problem, and clearly his career is on a downward spiral.

I'd cut off my nuts for Simeone at Milan. World's best coach. By a distance.
kurtsimonw
I think he meant sustained over a period. Finishing 5th and 3rd when you're the 3rd best team in the league isn't an almighty achievement. Winning it and making the CL final, is. So that's 1 great season and a couple of more or less expected ones.

There's also a long way to go to say he's challenging this season. Unless you consider Southampton/West Ham to be challengers in England
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 16 2014, 12:40 PM) *
I think he meant sustained over a period. Finishing 5th and 3rd when you're the 3rd best team in the league isn't an almighty achievement. Winning it and making the CL final, is. So that's 1 great season and a couple of more or less expected ones.

There's also a long way to go to say he's challenging this season. Unless you consider Southampton/West Ham to be challengers in England

Yep, that's about it smile.gif
X-Offender
I think you guys fail to understand the fact that with those players it's very, very difficult achieving what Simeone did. Except for Courtois and Diego Costa, everyone else they've had have just been average. No world class payers, no exceptional standout individuals, just a bunch of hard-working, dedicated players who Simeone trained so well that not only they give their 100% in every game, but they're also playing better than what their skills allow them to. That's a great coach right there.

Besides, he also won the Europa League in 2012 (along with the UEFA Super Cup) and the Copa del Rey in 2013. There's the consistency you guys want.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 16 2014, 09:40 AM) *

Harsh. When he took over Atletico they weren't the third best team in Spain. In 2010 they were 9th in the league for heavens' sake. Falcao was the difference in Europe and basically won the UEL for them. Simeone's first season he got 5th, then 3rd, then 1st. 3 years of solid progression and for Barca and Real to have spent big and him losing half his best players this summer yet STILL up there in the top 3 says everything for his skills.

Southampton and West Ham didn't win the EPL last season wink.gif

I take your point but Simeone's stock is only getting bigger. And he's still sustaining his team despite losing a lot of his best players.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 16 2014, 11:47 AM) *
I think you guys fail to understand the fact that with those players it's very, very difficult achieving what Simeone did. Except for Courtois and Diego Costa, everyone else they've had have just been average. No world class payers, no exceptional standout individuals, just a bunch of hard-working, dedicated players who Simeone trained so well that not only they give their 100% in every game, but they're also playing better than what their skills allow them to. That's a great coach right there.

Besides, he also won the Europa League in 2012 (along with the UEFA Super Cup) and the Copa del Rey in 2013. There's the consistency you guys want.

Amen. Truth is his Interista connections make him very unpopular in our support, as does some of his admittedly poor behaviour. But anyone dismissing his coaching credentials is being very short-sighted.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Dec 16 2014, 01:47 PM) *
I think you guys fail to understand the fact that with those players it's very, very difficult achieving what Simeone did. Except for Courtois and Diego Costa, everyone else they've had have just been average.

That's 2 World class players. Which other clubs not named Barcelona or Madrid have more than 2 World class players in Spain? Fillipo and I have said that he did have a great season (winning the title/CL final) but finishing 3rd and 5th? That wasn't anything special, no other clubs in Spain really have that many good players. Certainly not at the Courtois/Cost/Luis/Koke level.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 16 2014, 06:39 PM) *
That's 2 World class players.

World class? Those two? Hah, not even close. By all means, they're great, but 'world class' is an entire different category.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 16 2014, 06:39 PM) *
Fillipo and I have said that he did have a great season (winning the title/CL final) but finishing 3rd and 5th? That wasn't anything special, no other clubs in Spain really have that many good players. Certainly not at the Courtois/Cost/Luis/Koke level.

Why do you ignore what I said in the rest of my post?

Simeone as Atletico coach:

11/12 - Europa League
12/13 - UEFA Super Cup, Copa del Rey
13/14 - La Liga, Supercopa de España, Champions League runners-up

That, my friend, is impressive.
kurtsimonw
It's good, sure. A much lesser Atletico won the Europa League too and Super Cup isn't a real trophy. Nobody is saying he did a bad job. But as Fillipo and I keep saying. Having a good few years and only 1 great one doesn't make you a great coach.
Danny
Well his latest signing is having a 'mare. No idea why Atleti took Torres back, but it's the Milan Torres out there tonight.
William405
QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 7 2015, 11:59 PM) *
Well his latest signing is having a 'mare. No idea why Atleti took Torres back, but it's the Milan Torres out there tonight.

Sentimental reasons, perhaps. Maybe, even financial? He's selling shirts like crazy.
Danny
QUOTE (William405 @ Jan 7 2015, 10:13 PM) *
Sentimental reasons, perhaps. Maybe, even financial? He's selling shirts like crazy.

Fair point. Why Honda was signed for us.
X-Offender
Mourinho's reaction to Torres scoring two goals against Madrid:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=833008...e=2&theater

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
X-Offender
CR7 makes 30 today. Jeez, time flies... unsure.gif
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 5 2015, 03:40 PM) *
CR7 makes 30 today. Jeez, time flies... unsure.gif

Read on goal that some Canadian university will be offering a module on CR7
X-Offender
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Feb 6 2015, 03:45 PM) *
Read on goal that some Canadian university will be offering a module on CR7

Module? You mean like a course?
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Feb 6 2015, 05:04 PM) *
Module? You mean like a course?

not the whole course, just one optional subject

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2015/...TP_HN_HP_RI_1_2
X-Offender
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Feb 6 2015, 07:00 PM) *
not the whole course, just one optional subject

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2015/...TP_HN_HP_RI_1_2

Yeah, that's what I mean by course. Interesting.
Danny
Fail the exam on that one and it'll get Messi.
Rossoneri7
Braida is targeting our MDS and Marco Verratti for new club Barcelona.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Feb 28 2015, 05:35 PM) *
Braida is targeting our MDS and Marco Verratti for new club Barcelona.

He learned from Dugarry onwards, did he laugh.gif
han2503
I'd only let DS go for serious cash. He's struggled for a long time now, but that does not diminish his natural talent which is still there.

If they don't intend to pay up then we keep him
X-Offender
Yeah, if they pay up good cash I wouldn't mind selling him. He's not a vital part of this team, especially considering how poor he's been for some time now.
Danny
Antonelli has done more since signing than MDS has for 24 months.

It's a sale I'd love to see. Completely lost patience with MDS.
acid911
QUOTE (Danny @ Feb 7 2015, 12:52 PM) *
Fail the exam on that one and it'll get Messi.

Nice. biggrin.gif
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Feb 28 2015, 11:34 PM) *
Antonelli has done more since signing than MDS has for 24 months.

It's a sale I'd love to see. Completely lost patience with MDS.

How old is Antonelli? Because if he's in his late 20s which is what I'm assuming then it's not exactly a long term solution

But again, if Barca are willing to offer good money, then we simply have to go for it.
X-Offender
I think he's 28.
Danny
QUOTE (acid911 @ Feb 28 2015, 10:43 PM) *
Nice. biggrin.gif

*takes a bow*
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Feb 28 2015, 10:45 PM) *
How old is Antonelli? Because if he's in his late 20s which is what I'm assuming then it's not exactly a long term solution

But again, if Barca are willing to offer good money, then we simply have to go for it.

Agree it's not exactly long term but then again how old was Pirlo when Juve signed him? 32?

As long as he can do the job to a good level I'd say we could get a decent 5 years out of him.

What qualifies as 'long term' these days anyway?
acid911
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 1 2015, 05:33 AM) *
*takes a bow*

Just very occasionally sign in on the forums these days, miss so many great posts. sad.gif This post was right up my alley, perfectly witty. Which, sometimes, is all you really need in busy times I find myself in. Hopefully by the end of the year, I can put some normalcy back in life.

But well done, kind sir, very well done. Tip of the hat from someone that loves a good chuckle!
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 1 2015, 12:35 AM) *
Agree it's not exactly long term but then again how old was Pirlo when Juve signed him? 32?

As long as he can do the job to a good level I'd say we could get a decent 5 years out of him.

What qualifies as 'long term' these days anyway?

Pirlo is a top class player who doesn't really rely on his physical strength and stamina but more on his skills.

Antonelli is a run of the mill Serie A defender. A FB at that, a position that is more physically demanding compared to what Pirlo does

I don't think the situations can be compared.

Well, DS would be long term, especially if he gets his act together. These constant injuries are not helping in that department that's for sure.
X-Offender
Anyone watching El Classico tonight? Should be a good one.
Fillipo Simone
I'm in. I'll be on Carletto's side naturally.
X-Offender
Benzema's back heel, fantastic.
Danny
Quickest 45 minutes this season.

Messi nowhere to be seen, Ronaldo running the show and Real should have more goals.

1-1 isn't that accurate so far, here's hoping Carlo's boys justify their superiority.
X-Offender
Yeah, Barça have been completely anonymous.
X-Offender
Well, that was a 180 turnaround.
Danny
Real ran out of puff, while Barca dived their way to victory.

They disgust me.
Fillipo Simone
Yeah, but they did actually play better.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 23 2015, 01:19 AM) *

Agreed

I was totally rooting for Real, but you have to admit that Barca were the better team in that second half
kurtsimonw
Carlo should be employed by clubs as a CL manager, let someone do the domestic work, he's awful.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 23 2015, 12:19 AM) *

Only after Suarez scored.

Pity though they spent most of the time after that on the floor feigning injury.

They're an insult to football. For all their great players, they resort to cheating at all times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.