Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IT] Serie A 2014-15
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 6 2015, 08:07 PM) *
Did I expect him to destroy them? Maybe, but Juventus are a well-oiled machine, and he's simply taking over Conte's work. Raging success? Now now, Danny...

Inter were even better oiled and Benitez took them south following Mourinho.

But, I'm sure you've got an excuse to cover that one too wink.gif
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 6 2015, 10:01 PM) *
Inter were even better oiled and Benitez took them south following Mourinho.

But, I'm sure you've got an excuse to cover that one too wink.gif

Inter were at the end of the line, Mourinho knew it and he left. Same story as with us in 2007, players reaching their limit and not being able to give more. Juve are at the pinnacle of their success after many years of mediocrity post-Calciopoli, it's a different story.

And besides, even if I was to say that Benitez tore Inter apart whereas Allegri didn't do the same with Juve, what exactly does it prove? Nothing.
kurtsimonw
I like how a few years ago it was that we should be competing because Juve's players are overrated/mediocre. Now, with essentially the same squad, it's an amazing team that Allegri can't fail with.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 6 2015, 10:55 PM) *
I like how a few years ago it was that we should be competing because Juve's players are overrated/mediocre. Now, with essentially the same squad, it's an amazing team that Allegri can't fail with.

I've never claimed that the Juve team which won the first Scudetto was mediocre, but we had the better side and should have won. That's something you can't deny. Besides, that was their first good season. They only got better and stronger afterwards. Players like Pogba, Tevez and Moratta can get you places.

People dismiss Conte's work too easily. He made them great, at least in Serie A.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 6 2015, 10:56 PM) *
I've never claimed that the Juve team which won the first Scudetto was mediocre, but we had the better side and should have won. That's something you can't deny. Besides, that was their first good season. They only got better and stronger afterwards. Players like Pogba, Tevez and Moratta can get you places.

People dismiss Conte's work too easily. He made them great, at least in Serie A.

A Juve fan yesterday proclaimed to me that Tevez is good but not great.
Fillipo Simone
I don't get why you guys cannot accept that this is a mixture of multiple reasons and problems.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 7 2015, 12:07 AM) *
A Juve fan yesterday proclaimed to me that Tevez is good but not great.

Oh, noes!
kurtsimonw
Juve have had the better squad for three and a half years and won the title for 3 years and soon to be four. It's quite logical. Nocerino, Emannuelson, Abate, Aquilani, Robinho, Ambrosini, Abbiati, El Shaarawy, Bonera and Antonini were regulars that season. laugh.gif

The only other players to play more than half the games were Ibra, Silva and van Bommel who I agree were very good. Three players doesn't make a team.
X-Offender
Abate, Nesta, Silva, Mexes, Aquilani, Van Bommel, Seedorf, Nocerino, Boateng, Cassano, Ibrahimovic, Pato and Robinho were more than enough to win the Scudetto. Why can't you just accept the fact that Allegri simply failed that season and move on? We were top of the table until the last few weeks, then we lost to Barça and for some reason started giving points away left and right. That, my friend, means handling the title to your opponent on a silver platter.
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 6 2015, 06:46 PM) *
That's a little harsh when said team made quite large changes.

10-11 Juve
Storari; Motta, Bonucci, Chiellini, Grosso; Marchisio, Melo, Aquilani; Pepe, Del Piero, Krasic

11-12 Juve
Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Lichsteiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Ceglie; Vucinc, Matri

That's 3 of their starters that remained integral pieces. If you think the 11-12 Juve isnt that good a team, then seeing as it's mostly the same team as now, he's obviously doing well to be top, right?

You can also say that Allegri took the title from the best team in Europe. A team that made barely any changes. 09-10 Inter and 10-11 Inter were basically the same team.

I hardly see that as the same team they have now. Pogba and Tevez are probably 2 of their most essential players today, not to mention other improvements throughout the squad. And even so, ours was still the much better squad. We had champions and match winners throughout the group. Yes the ghost goal did turn the league on it's head, but at the end of the day we should still have won that 2nd title with Allegri, also seeing how Juve basically fired blanks all season and drew half of their games

Inter lost Mourinho, that in itself was the biggest loss they could have had, not to mention they were burnt out not being a young team and having just won the treble. Your point just goes to show how important a coach truly is to a team, no matter what set of players you have. At some point you simply cannot rely on the individuals alone anymore, which is why Allegri failed so dismally, because that is what he did with us. The situations between us and the Juve that he took over from Conte are vastly different. With us, he took over a blank slate there was no real identity in how we played, he had to model Milan on his own ideas, with Juve he took over a team that was distinctly built to play with Conte's vision in mind.

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 6 2015, 07:07 PM) *
Han and X have also gone very silent on Allegri's raging success at Juve.

Fact is the guy is a decent coach, and if Juve suddenly sell their best players and ship out half the squad, I'm sure he'll struggle there too.

I think you need to go back and see what me and x-off have BOTH always said about Allegri. And especially with regards to his current job. We both always said that if he keeps the core as is, he should have no issues humping the entire league. And I even scoffed at those who were hoping Roma would mount a challenge. I personally said all along that Juve would win this title by the turn of the new year, no matter who's coaching them, as long as Moratta doesn't sell their best players they're the sole option for that title in my eyes. Simply because their squad is just that much better than the rest of the others in the league. And so far they have not let me down in that respect.

I always maintain that the CL is where Allegri needs to excel. Conte only managed a quarter final appearance and a dismal showing last season when they went out at the groups. So far, Juve have struggled in that competition but did manage to scrape through their group. We'll see how they fair in Germany in a few weeks.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 7 2015, 01:10 AM) *
Abate, Nesta, Silva, Mexes, Aquilani, Van Bommel, Seedorf, Nocerino, Boateng, Cassano, Ibrahimovic, Pato and Robinho were more than enough to win the Scudetto. Why can't you just accept the fact that Allegri simply failed that season and move on? We were top of the table until the last few weeks, then we lost to Barça and for some reason started giving points away left and right. That, my friend, means handling the title to your opponent on a silver platter.

This
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 6 2015, 10:55 PM) *

No one ever said mediocre, but I myself said average. Players like Vucinic, Matri (laugh.gif), De Ceglie, even Barzagli when they signed him were all average at best. They spent the season crying for a penalty and drawing nearly half of their fixtures.

Now, with only Roma being their only competitors? Yes, it is an amazing team considering some of the players they've brought in and the entire overhaul in mentality Conte had already infused into that team. You're talking 3 years ago, when us and Napoli still hadn't bent over for PSG's money. And the rest of the league was generally a bit more stable than the shambles most clubs are in nowadays

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 7 2015, 12:48 AM) *
Juve have had the better squad for three and a half years and won the title for 3 years and soon to be four. It's quite logical. Nocerino, Emannuelson, Abate, Aquilani, Robinho, Ambrosini, Abbiati, El Shaarawy, Bonera and Antonini were regulars that season. laugh.gif

The only other players to play more than half the games were Ibra, Silva and van Bommel who I agree were very good. Three players doesn't make a team.

Abate? Really you're still on that. Abate was coming off an incredible season being voted best in his position in the league.

As for the others, how was SES a regular that season? He mostly played some Coppa matches and barely a handful of Serie A appearances. Robinho was still actually good that season. While Nocerino probably had the best year of his life.

The others were all mostly fringe and had to come in when others were injured. Allegri using Urby incessantly in the AM position? You really want to bring that up as a form of excuse when we had so many other options available?
Danny
QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 7 2015, 08:44 AM) *
I hardly see that as the same team they have now. Pogba and Tevez are probably 2 of their most essential players today, not to mention other improvements throughout the squad. And even so, ours was still the much better squad. We had champions and match winners throughout the group. Yes the ghost goal did turn the league on it's head, but at the end of the day we should still have won that 2nd title with Allegri, also seeing how Juve basically fired blanks all season and drew half of their games

Inter lost Mourinho, that in itself was the biggest loss they could have had, not to mention they were burnt out not being a young team and having just won the treble. Your point just goes to show how important a coach truly is to a team, no matter what set of players you have. At some point you simply cannot rely on the individuals alone anymore, which is why Allegri failed so dismally, because that is what he did with us. The situations between us and the Juve that he took over from Conte are vastly different. With us, he took over a blank slate there was no real identity in how we played, he had to model Milan on his own ideas, with Juve he took over a team that was distinctly built to play with Conte's vision in mind.

I think you need to go back and see what me and x-off have BOTH always said about Allegri. And especially with regards to his current job. We both always said that if he keeps the core as is, he should have no issues humping the entire league. And I even scoffed at those who were hoping Roma would mount a challenge. I personally said all along that Juve would win this title by the turn of the new year, no matter who's coaching them, as long as Moratta doesn't sell their best players they're the sole option for that title in my eyes. Simply because their squad is just that much better than the rest of the others in the league. And so far they have not let me down in that respect.

I always maintain that the CL is where Allegri needs to excel. Conte only managed a quarter final appearance and a dismal showing last season when they went out at the groups. So far, Juve have struggled in that competition but did manage to scrape through their group. We'll see how they fair in Germany in a few weeks.

You too have rather ignored the Benitez Inter argument...
X-Offender
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 7 2015, 11:45 AM) *
You too have rather ignored the Benitez Inter argument...

Hm...

Inter without Mourinho were never the same Inter. Allegri took nothing away from them, they just fell over by themselves. The competition that season was scarce, we had Thiago and Ibra and an overall good team, and we simply took what we could without impressing in any way possible.

Inter were at the end of the line, Mourinho knew it and he left. Same story as with us in 2007, players reaching their limit and not being able to give more.

Inter lost Mourinho, that in itself was the biggest loss they could have had, not to mention they were burnt out not being a young team and having just won the treble.

No matter who Moratti brought, they were never going to repeat themselves, not even for the Scudetto. They were burnt out, simple as. Benitez was just one part of the problem.

EDIT: And when I say "part of the problem", I mean trusted Mourinho players not wanting him because of his rivalry with the latter. Remember those phone calls between the various Cambiasso, Zanetti etc. and Mourinho in Madrid, Chivu's outburst against Roma, players allegedly pushing Moratti to fire Benitez etc. It was a delicate situation, and not one comparable in any way with the Juventus-Allegri one.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 7 2015, 02:10 AM) *

Most of the players you mentioned didn't even play half the games. The players I listed are the only ones that did and only 3 of them are great players. The rest are too old/mediocre. You can't claim Nesta/Mexes/Boateng/Cassano, etc when they didn't even have an impact on half the season.

I can easily say why can't you accept the fact that the teams that were put out were not as good as Juve's. Clearly you are not remembering things properly. Backed up by your Barca comment. We played 7 games after losing to Barca, we won 5, drew 1 and lost 1.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 7 2015, 10:57 AM) *
The others were all mostly fringe and had to come in when others were injured. Allegri using Urby incessantly in the AM position? You really want to bring that up as a form of excuse when we had so many other options available?

I only listed players who played more than half of the games in Serie A. So I have no idea what you are talking about. If, like you say, it was a result of our better players getting injured, then surely it's common sense that we didn't have many good players available all that often due to injury.

You can't use players that are not available. That'd be like us signing Messi and Ronaldo, them being injured most the year, then claiming we should win the league because we have them - even though they barely play.
kurtsimonw
I wonder how many coaches have won Serie A with multiple teams? Even the great Carlo had the best team in the league with both Milan and Juve and couldn't do it. Surely that would be the minimum requirement, right? Like it is with Allegri.

The anti-Allegri sentiment is hilarious, it just makes it even funnier that he's going to win another title.

Round and round in circles.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 7 2015, 02:15 PM) *
Most of the players you mentioned didn't even play half the games. The players I listed are the only ones that did and only 3 of them are great players. The rest are too old/mediocre. You can't claim Nesta/Mexes/Boateng/Cassano, etc when they didn't even have an impact on half the season.

I can easily say why can't you accept the fact that the teams that were put out were not as good as Juve's. Clearly you are not remembering things properly. Backed up by your Barca comment. We played 7 games after losing to Barca, we won 5, drew 1 and lost 1.

Boateng played 19 games, that's half the season. Nesta was a starter, whenever he was injured Mexes played. Seedorf and Aquilani interchanged places, as did Pato and Robinho. Only Cassano didn't play a major role, yet he played 16 games, scored 3 goals and provided 10 assists. That's a relatively fine contribution. It's only Allegri's fault if he kept playing Emanuelson as AM when he could have easily gone with other solutions.

And it was the game against Fiorentina after Barcelona that cost us the first place. I remember that well. The fact of the matter is that we were leading until the 31st week. You do not simply give away the title at the very end.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 7 2015, 02:19 PM) *
I wonder how many coaches have won Serie A with multiple teams? Even the great Carlo had the best team in the league with both Milan and Juve and couldn't do it. Surely that would be the minimum requirement, right? Like it is with Allegri.

The anti-Allegri sentiment is hilarious, it just makes it even funnier that he's going to win another title.

And you use the "Allegri winning the title twice without competition" argument to suit your needs. It's the context that matters here. Ancelotti played three CL finals and one semi-final in five years, and had to compete against a very powerful domestic Juventus, all while Serie A was still arguably the strongest league in the world. Apples and oranges, Kurt.

My anti-Allegri sentiment will never subside. You find it hilarious, I find it extremely rational. Suit yourself.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 7 2015, 04:19 PM) *

Did you watch Serie A in the season(s) where Ancelotti took over at Juventus?

Firstly, it was a very different Serie A, with multiple teams having star players in their roster. Secondly, Ancelotti took over in mid-season, when Lippi's playing around the winning-team of the past finally backfired and players like Esnaider, Dimas or Mirković failed to make any impact. Ancelotti came in, made the best he could with finishing 7th, then took the squad right no back on track in the next season to 2nd. By no means this Juventus was the best team, it had many problems.

It's easy to make up some stats that go or do not go in favor. Ancelotti won the Serie A, the EPL, the French League. Maybe he'll win the La Liga as well. So how can one say he's not one of the best league managers around? Yet, if you see his record with Milan, there are some missed chances (although we always tend to forget the Calciopoli thing which is not just 1 season).

Same with Allegri. I think he's a decent manager. He won the scudetto with Milan, most probably will do the same with Juventus. But in the long run he has still much to learn. His constant fumbling around the team also backfired and didn't leave a good taste with Milan fans. We'll see if he does the same with Juventus.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 7 2015, 04:55 PM) *
Did you watch Serie A in the season(s) where Ancelotti took over at Juventus?

Yes. That Juventus side was obscenely talented, including having the best player in World football on their side. Absolutely no question he should've won Serie A and certainly won it at least 2/3 times with Milan.

But again, we'll never agree. Most of it is subjective. Though the facts are there to see, that require no subjectivity.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 7 2015, 11:09 AM) *
Hm...

No matter who Moratti brought, they were never going to repeat themselves, not even for the Scudetto. They were burnt out, simple as. Benitez was just one part of the problem.

EDIT: And when I say "part of the problem", I mean trusted Mourinho players not wanting him because of his rivalry with the latter. Remember those phone calls between the various Cambiasso, Zanetti etc. and Mourinho in Madrid, Chivu's outburst against Roma, players allegedly pushing Moratti to fire Benitez etc. It was a delicate situation, and not one comparable in any way with the Juventus-Allegri one.

Didn't buy your first explanation, nor this one. Just think you hate Allegri and that's it. You will basically use every argument in the book to back it up and ignore opposing ideas - none of which I can be bothered going into because it ain't worth it.

Although I'll concede that at least you admit Pippo's a billion times worse than Allegri could ever be.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 7 2015, 10:57 PM) *
Didn't buy your first explanation, nor this one. Just think you hate Allegri and that's it. You will basically use every argument in the book to back it up and ignore opposing ideas - none of which I can be bothered going into because it ain't worth it.

Although I'll concede that at least you admit Pippo's a billion times worse than Allegri could ever be.

You have done the same thing by for example using the players out of position argument with Pippo when you know very well that Allegri did the same thing

Also, I think Allegri was smart/afraid/humble enough not to try to mess with a good thing. Meaning, he followed on what Conte left him, a very strong team that were very well coached.

Benitez tried to do his own thing. He didn't lose the dressing room, he never had it to begin with, if you think this is an excuse then so bit it. But you have to wonder how a coach can possibly coach a set of players when he's simply unwanted by them, so far so that they went behind his back to the club management and their previous coach

Add to that the fact that they were a burnt out old team. Mourinho extracted every last drop of sweat from some of those players and they simply did not have it in them to really push themselves anymore after achieving what they did with him.

If you think these things don't factor into how vastly different the 2 situations are then I don't even know why we're talking about this because it's pointless.

Allegri might not have been a popular choice, but the players accepted him, which was never the case with Benitez at Inter.
Danny
I use the out of position argument on Pippo because it has, among other things, thoroughly punctuated his Milan failure.

Whereas Allegri made errors but nowhere near to the same degree as this.

But...I'm done with this, I'm absolutely sick of conversation on here, whether I'm involved or not, about Allegri.

I'm also in a totally foul mood regarding football right now because both Milan and Rangers are such a fucking disgrace that only blind love for both is keeping me from taking up rugby.
X-Offender
Eh, to each their own. I think the points I and Han bring are very valid, you and Kurt have other opinions and ideas. This argument always goes in circles, we shouldn't really bother anymore with it.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 7 2015, 11:15 PM) *
Eh, to each their own. I think the points I and Han bring are very valid, you and Kurt have other opinions and ideas. This argument always goes in circles, we shouldn't really bother anymore with it.

Agreed. Pointless. I hereby declare Milanfan an Allegri-free zone, and hopefully soon an Inzaghi and Silvio free one too.
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 8 2015, 11:59 AM) *
Agreed. Pointless. I hereby declare Milanfan an Allegri-free zone, and hopefully soon an Inzaghi and Silvio free one too.

Wishful thinking there

But like it or not we always tend to go back to he who shall not be named because there are opinions on him that are as similar to each other as night and day
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 7 2015, 09:11 PM) *
Yes. That Juventus side was obscenely talented, including having the best player in World football on their side. Absolutely no question he should've won Serie A and certainly won it at least 2/3 times with Milan.

But again, we'll never agree. Most of it is subjective. Though the facts are there to see, that require no subjectivity.

But it's not all facts, that's the point. You gotta look at the context as well. Juventus in 1997 was a bad place - Lippi failed, subsequently Ancelotti failed as well.

When you analyze Allegri's stay at Milan, you have all the possible understanding for context: you get why he lost the second scudetto, you know why we started falling apart afterwards. I'm only thinking you should know the context of Ancelotti's Juventus and Milan as well.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 8 2015, 07:47 PM) *
Wishful thinking there

But like it or not we always tend to go back to he who shall not be named because there are opinions on him that are as similar to each other as night and day

What the hell are you talking about unsure.gif Why are you so cryptic, this is not soviet Russia?
Danny
Ah Pippo, sometimes you're slower than a year in Guantanamo Bay.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 8 2015, 07:22 PM) *
But it's not all facts, that's the point.

What I meant was it's a fact that in 10 years at Juve/Milan he won 1 league title. it's not an acceptable return. So far his only acceptable performances in the league was at Chelsea. 1/2 at PSG wouldn't be so bad had he not been in a 1 team league and taken over when the team was 1st and failed to win it.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 8 2015, 06:23 PM) *
What the hell are you talking about unsure.gif Why are you so cryptic, this is not soviet Russia?

biggrin.gif

Danny was being all sensitive about Allegri that I worded it that way. Mostly as a joke
X-Offender
Speaking of Inter and their spirit, drawing last night at San Paolo after being down 2-0 really shows that despite everything, Mancini has been able to give them that something extra that they lacked under Mazzarri. I wonder, if we had sacked Pippo earlier maybe this season could have been salvaged.

A decade ago Silvio would have fired anyone with such a negative record. Tabarez, Zaccheroni, Terim didn't stay long. But nowadays the politics of not giving a crap rule over our fates...
Fillipo Simone
Well, it's not the politics of not giving a crap. It's the politics of Galliani and being broke to be fair.
X-Offender
Yes, because giving Essien €2.5 million and Muntari €1.5 million is acceptable, but for a good coach anything over €2 million would be a crime.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 9 2015, 02:06 PM) *
Yes, because giving Essien €2.5 million and Muntari €1.5 million is acceptable, but for a good coach anything over €2 million would be a crime.

Think a bit harder. A good coach would only come if we had a project and ambition. Ambition is possible with money. We don't have money, hence we can only rely on coaches who don't have a firm stance on transfer policy and club ambitions.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 9 2015, 12:32 PM) *
Think a bit harder. A good coach would only come if we had a project and ambition. Ambition is possible with money. We don't have money, hence we can only rely on coaches who don't have a firm stance on transfer policy and club ambitions.

But we never tried to hire a good coach for a change. Last summer, you think if we had offered a job to Bielsa or whoever we were linked with by the media (I can't remember) and gave them a fat +€3 million check they wouldn't have accepted? Nah, I don't buy that. Ambition comes from the coach as well. Hiring Leonardo, then Allegri, then Seedorf, then Inzaghi shows we just don't care. At least Allegri had some sort of backbone, but the other three? They were experiments if nothing else.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 9 2015, 02:40 PM) *
But we never tried to hire a good coach for a change. Last summer, you think if we had offered a job to Bielsa or whoever we were linked with by the media (I can't remember) and gave them a fat +€3 million check they wouldn't have accepted? Nah, I don't buy that. Ambition comes from the coach as well. Hiring Leonardo, then Allegri, then Seedorf, then Inzaghi shows we just don't care. At least Allegri had some sort of backbone, but the other three? They were experiments if nothing else.

I'm not so sure who would accept coaching Milan at this point. Maybe coaches without any recent successes and jobs. But then you also have Galliani who really likes coaches like Inzaghi or Allegri, the ones he can handle and are happy to be under him while at the same time Fester thinks he's invented the next Capello.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 9 2015, 01:12 PM) *
I'm not so sure who would accept coaching Milan at this point. Maybe coaches without any recent successes and jobs. But then you also have Galliani who really likes coaches like Inzaghi or Allegri, the ones he can handle and are happy to be under him while at the same time Fester thinks he's invented the next Capello.

I'm just saying. For example, you have Rijkaard who's jobless and would accept Milan on the spot. Sure, he's not Mourinho and he hasn't had any success since Barça, but I would gladly take him over Inzaghi or any of the coaches we've had since Carlo. Yet we decide to experiment and fall flat on our asses.

And yeah, that Galliani factor really does play a part sometimes. Hence why I call him "the cancer" of this club.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 9 2015, 01:09 PM) *
I'm just saying. For example, you have Rijkaard who's jobless and would accept Milan on the spot. Sure, he's not Mourinho and he hasn't had any success since Barça,

Weirdly enough his win percentage at Gala isn't that far behind that at Barca. 55 to 58%.

I'd take him at this point.
X-Offender
He was the very first name that popped to my mind. There are so many other experienced coaches who are not Guardiola/Mourinho/Ancelotti/Klopp etc. but would accept coaching Milan no problem.
X-Offender
Watching Lazio-Fiorentina. Very fast-paced and entertaining so far. I have been so much used to our boring, crap games that I had forgotten Serie A can be good.
X-Offender
Lazio 4-0 Fiorentina

Sorry for the triple post, but I just briefly wanted to discuss this. Lazio are currently 3rd with 46 points, having won 14 games, tied 6 and lost 8. We are 10th with 35 points, having won 8 games, tied 11 and lost 7.

Their starting line-up tonight was: Marchetti; Basta, De Vrij, Mauricio, Radu; Cataldi, Biglia; Candreva, Mauri, Anderson; Klose. Compare that to our players. Do you honestly think that they have a better team?

I saw the first half tonight and they were brilliant. They knew what they were doing. So much movement, so many ideas, so much energy and desire to win. This is what is making the difference between us and the contenders for that 3rd spot. And if the coach is not responsible for it, then I don't know who it is.

Cursed the day we appointed Pippo as our coach!
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 9 2015, 09:13 PM) *
Lazio 4-0 Fiorentina

Sorry for the triple post, but I just briefly wanted to discuss this. Lazio are currently 3rd with 46 points, having won 14 games, tied 6 and lost 8. We are 10th with 35 points, having won 8 games, tied 11 and lost 7.

Their starting line-up tonight was: Marchetti; Basta, De Vrij, Mauricio, Radu; Cataldi, Biglia; Candreva, Mauri, Anderson; Klose. Compare that to our players. Do you honestly think that they have a better team?

I saw the first half tonight and they were brilliant. They knew what they were doing. So much movement, so many ideas, so much energy and desire to win. This is what is making the difference between us and the contenders for that 3rd spot. And if the coach is not responsible for it, then I don't know who it is.

Cursed the day we appointed Pippo as our coach!

I didn't watch it, but yes. Fiorentina, Lazio, heck even Genoa and Samp are perfect examples of what good coaching can do.
Rossoneri7
A new study has shown that Serie A clubs are lagging behind in their development of top-class talent

As if the lack of progress in European competition, the dwindling audiences and the loss of star pulling power wasn’t enough, Italian football has also massively unperformed in its youth development, a new study has suggested.

When the CIES Football Observatory released its research into the big five leagues’ production of major talent this week, there was little surprise that Serie A failed to figure prominently.

But the width of the gap between the production lines in the biggest European leagues and the Italian top-flight comes as a stark warning to the peninsula’s major clubs that they are set to see their slide continue if they do not get their houses in order.

The CIES study shows that Serie A clubs are neither developing players for their own first team nor using their academies to their benefit in the transfer market, matching the growing malaise in the Italian game as a whole.

Inter rank only 19th in terms of the number of club-trained players now plying their trade in the top five domestic competitions across England, Spain, France, Italy and Germany, while Milan come in 34th. Worse still, Juventus don’t even feature in the top 50. It is a damning indictment on each of the big hitters in Italian football.
La Liga and Ligue 1 both boast more than twice as many club-trained players in their first-team squads, while clubs from those same two leagues and the English Premier League have each generated twice as much in transfer revenue from youngsters developed within their acadamies.

For too long, clubs across the bel paese have ignored the countless areas in which improvements need to be made and few are guiltier than the big three. The institutions with the greatest capacity for change have been too slow on the uptake.

That Juventus – the club with a phenomenal fan base all across Italy – cannot put the systems and structures in place to develop more young players into first-team hopefuls than 1860 Munich, Celta Vigo, Guingamp or Rayo Vallecano says much about calcio’s complacency.

Moreover, Milan have done nothing to help themselves at a time when they are losing money hand over fist and are struggling on the field under Filippo Inzaghi. The successful training of youth players capable of stepping into the first-team would alleviate many of their issues, but they cannot expect to catch up when Barcelona are producing more than three times as many young footballers.

With increasing regularity in recent years, star talents at Italy’s biggest clubs have reached the cusp of the first team and then seemingly hit a ceiling. The likes of Bryan Cristante, Luca Marrone and Lorenzo Crisetig have been talked up massively but have made no real impact, and that has happened partly due to the inability of coaches to take them up the final level and partly because of complacency.

Why can Southampton, Swansea and Real Sociedad develop footballers worth millions of euros but Juventus, Milan and Inter cannot? Forget Xavi and Lionel Messi, Italian clubs can’t even produce a Thiago Alcantara or Antonio Sanabria right now.

Antonio Conte was widely questioned when, during his spell as Juventus coach, he lambasted the lack of realism around Italian football and the shortage of urgency in finding avenues for progression.

“I can’t see an Italian team winning the Champions League in the coming years,” he said in April 2013.

“It makes me laugh when I hear that with just two or three new signings we can win the Champions League. Italian football has come to a standstill and that should be a concern for everyone.

“I think everyone has to pull together to try and change things in Italian football. When I say everyone, I mean the clubs, the supporters, the media and all the institutions.”

But, despite Conte’s warning, there remains a huge chasm between the bigger leagues and the rapidly failing Serie A.

Results on the continent are getting no better, with only one club making it to the last 16 of the Champions League for a second successive season. The bigger outfits continue to trail provincial clubs such as Udinese in their scouting structures, meaning they miss out on getting optimum value out of young talent.

And the latest figures show they are failing in their youth setups too, with the comparatively-richer production line at Atalanta - they unsurprisingly lead Italy with 22 club-trained youngsters now playing in the big five leagues - being proof that quality is there to be found if the likes of Juve, Milan and Inter look hard enough.

Juventus’ move to a new stadium, and Roma and Milan’s promises to follow suit, have breathed new optimism into Italian football as it looks to bridge the gap which has developed in the last 10 years. But that is only the start of the task at hand, and failing to provide talented youngsters with the platform from which to succeed could continue to hit them in the pocket and in their results for some time to come.

The major issue at Milan is a problem all of Serie A faces. And it seems as though two years was not enough Zed, we might be stuck here for at least the next five years.
X-Offender
Roma have gone down the shitter.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 17 2015, 01:27 AM) *

Surprise, surprise.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 16 2015, 11:27 PM) *

This is why I said from the very beginning that the only winner for this title is Juve and Juve alone

Napoli are not good enough, us and Inter are in crises mode and the only team that has a squad good enough to even put up a challenge are the biggest chokers in football history
X-Offender
Marchisio out for 6-8 months. Tough luck for Juve.
han2503
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 27 2015, 09:06 PM) *
Marchisio out for 6-8 months. Tough luck for Juve.

Yep, he's been amazing this season

Not like it matters at this point in the Serie A season. But they'll miss him big time in the CL

Pirlo and Pogba are also out atm right? With Pogba out long term IIRC
X-Offender
Pirlo should recover very soon. But with Pogba and Marchisio out for the season, their midfield just lost half of its power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.