Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WC 2018/2022
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Brian Birkin
on the 2nd December, the decision arrives from FIFA as to who will host World Cup 2018 and 2022. What do you all say about this?

I have read the FIFA evaluation report regarding 日本 which seemed positive, with expected high power in areas of technology and will.
ForzaMaldini
The Netherlands and Belgium will probably be dismissed sad.gif Unfortunatly
kurtsimonw
If we don't get it, it'll be a disgrace. If Qatar gets one, it'll be an even bigger disgrace.

Should be England/Australia. My prediction is Russia/USA.
acid911
Well USA deserves one, they 2018 or at most the 2022. smile.gif They have a great infrastructure in place. England, Australia, and the Netherlands are other strong contenders in that order. With Russia and Qatar following. Well Qatar not really following, they still need to take care of a bunch of things to be able to successfully host a tournament of this magnitude.

I've got a feeling USA will get one, England may miss out. Well at least they have the Olympics to look forward to!
kurtsimonw
USA hosted in 1994! England haven't had one since '66, despite being the most obvious European country to host, while other European countries have hosted twice since! Australia have never had one, even though they're probably the best choice of country in that half of the World.

Part of me says we'll get it because we pulled out of 2022, what other sensible reason would there have been to do that? Blatter on their review thing also said we have the best bid, but then this is still FIFA we're talking about.

I wouldn't mind England/USA, but that'd be a bi harsh on Oz, in my opinion. Though it'd be hilarious if the US got KO'd on July 4th like last time they hosted, classic.
acid911
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 29 2010, 08:47 PM) *
USA hosted in 1994! England haven't had one since '66, despite being the most obvious European country to host, while other European countries have hosted twice since!

I'm with ya on England deserving a chance to host it. smile.gif It's just a toss up between UK, US and Australia, all three have the infrastructure and facilities to very successfully host an event of this magnitude. And frankly any one that misses out will be unlucky (the USA not as much for obvious reasons).

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 29 2010, 08:47 PM) *
Though it'd be hilarious if the US got KO'd on July 4th like last time they hosted, classic.

Absolute classic. biggrin.gif Harsh, but classic!
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 29 2010, 03:47 PM) *
USA hosted in 1994! England haven't had one since '66, despite being the most obvious European country to host, while other European countries have hosted twice since!

I guess they could argue that about Euro '96, yes different confederations but the potential is still there.

We should win it, and that's hopefully not being too biased I just think we have a lot better structure for this tournament here compared to Russia.
kurtsimonw
I'm changing my prediction and going with England/USA. My reasoning being that all FIFA cares about is money.

England
Pros: Biggest football nation in the World, plenty of WC compatible stadia and easy travel between venues.
Cons: Anyone? I'm struggling to find a negative.

Russia:
Pros: Timezone suitable for big markets.
Cons: Stadia not up to scratch as of now, difficult for people to enter country due to restrictions, poor travel.

USA
Pros: Potential to make ridiculous money, huge stadia.
Cons: Will 2nd WC hold much interest? West coast has bad timezone, county too big.

Oz
Pros: Plenty of big stadia, will get huge support as 1st time hosts.
Cons: Terrible timezone, this'll be the killer.

Qatar
Pros: Will throw a whole tonne of money at hosting it, 1st Middle-East World Cup.
Cons: FIFA made a tonne from Bud deal in 2010, it's illegal to sell beer in public in Qatar, you do the math. Middle-East World Cup.

CrazyMilanFan
it will be boiling in Qatar or middle east during summer day time games are nearly impossible imo
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 28 2010, 11:39 PM) *
If we don't get it, it'll be a disgrace. If Qatar gets one, it'll be an even bigger disgrace.

Should be England/Australia. My prediction is Russia/USA.

Why would Qatar be a disgrace ?
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (CrazyMilanFan @ Nov 29 2010, 08:35 PM) *
it will be boiling in Qatar or middle east during summer day time games are nearly impossible imo

Venues in Qatar are being built for the Asian Cup and will be tested for the WC 2022, all stadiums will be ultra-modern in technology with air-conditioning.

Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 29 2010, 08:25 PM) *
Qatar
Pros: Will throw a whole tonne of money at hosting it, 1st Middle-East World Cup.
Cons: FIFA made a tonne from Bud deal in 2010, it's illegal to sell beer in public in Qatar, you do the math. Middle-East World Cup.

Erm, Surprise surprise, Liquor is legal in Qatar wink.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 29 2010, 05:39 PM) *
Why would Qatar be a disgrace ?

Because the WC should go to the best country, not the highest bidder. Qatars not nearly capable of hosting a WC, soto beat the likes of USA and Australia would be a joke.

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 29 2010, 05:44 PM) *
Erm, Surprise surprise, Liquor is legal in Qatar wink.gif

I can only go by what I heard in the preview.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 29 2010, 09:00 PM) *
Because the WC should go to the best country, not the highest bidder. Qatars not nearly capable of hosting a WC, soto beat the likes of USA and Australia would be a joke.

I can only go by what I heard in the preview.

How do you know Qatar is not capable ? Are you being biased ? Football is a universal language king.gif

Those previews are inaccurate, and you are hearing it from a person who has been to Qatar and saw tones of pubs scattered around there wink.gif
kurtsimonw
Bias? How can I be bias when Qatar's bid isn't even competing with Englands? Sure, you can lebal me bias for what I say about Russia, that'd be fair enough. They only have 2 decent stadia according to their bid with 3 others 'in the works'.

I've had a google search and apparently you need a permit to buy alcohol.

I'm amaze they're the favourite when they have to compete with America and Oz, very ineresting.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 29 2010, 10:03 PM) *
Bias? How can I be bias when Qatar's bid isn't even competing with Englands? Sure, you can lebal me bias for what I say about Russia, that'd be fair enough. They only have 2 decent stadia according to their bid with 3 others 'in the works'.

I've had a google search and apparently you need a permit to buy alcohol.

I'm amaze they're the favourite when they have to compete with America and Oz, very ineresting.

Don't be too hasty my friend, in 2011 they will host the Asian Nations Cup. This will be the test to Qatar's ability to stage a World Cup. Then we can talk more biggrin.gif

Furthermore, Wiki Reference Which answers several questions with regards to capability, weather, alcohol, and to be honest I generally prefer the World Cup in Europe .. But as I said it is a universal sport smile.gif

The problem with the USA and Australia, is not in any way undermining their capability; it is the long commute from one state/city to another. While Qatar is as a little bigger than the State of Rhode Island, hence the environment would be super exclusive for the World Cup in every aspect.

It is not about the bid, as FIFA supports nations with building/revamping stadiums to meet certain standards ... . Sure Qatar's NT is cr@p, but that doesn't hinder its ability to organize and host the event as a Nation.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 29 2010, 07:49 PM) *
Don't be too hasty my friend, in 2011 they will host the Asian Nations Cup. This will be the test to Qatar's ability to stage a World Cup. Then we can talk more biggrin.gif

Intresting. It's a shame that the decision is made before they hot the ANC because if they are proven as good hosts, but miss out, it'd be disappointing on their behalf.

Furthermore, Wiki Reference Which answers several questions with regards to capability, weather, alcohol, and to be honest I generally prefer the World Cup in Europe .. But as I said it is a universal sport smile.gif

Cheers.

The problem with the USA and Australia, is not in any way undermining their capability; it is the long commute from one state/city to another. While Qatar is as a little bigger than the State of Rhode Island, hence the environment would be super exclusive for the World Cup in every aspect.

Agreed. It doesn't affect the US that much, but if the WC is in Oz, games will likely KO at 2am, 5am and 8am GMT. Given that Europe is probably the biggest footballing market, it doesn't really help their bid that nobody from Europe will be able to watch half the games!

It is not about the bid, as FIFA supports nations with building/revamping stadiums to meet certain standards ... . Sure Qatar's NT is cr@p, but that doesn't hinder its ability to organize and host the event as a Nation.

I am against a country hosting without ever qualifying personally, but after seeing that wiki link, it's nice to see that a country will literally change it's laws regarding Israel and booze for the sake of football. And people say it's 'just a game'!
kurtsimonw
Russia and Qatar massive faourites according to the bookies. This despite Russia being declared "barely adequate" in their evaluation. Though wit that Panorama show and they way they showed how corrupt FIFA are, it doesn't surprise me Russia are leadin favourites.

USA actually 3rd favourites for 2022 behind Oz.
kurtsimonw
If we don't get it, I think there's a bunch of fans from south Birmingham that Russia ought to be thanking after tonight, disgraceful.
Milan Are Brilliant
Yeah, both supporters have ruined it for the country potentially.

Granted Birmingham fans were terrible in running over and starting it, but Villa played their part ripping up seats and chucking them. Pathetic the lot of them.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 1 2010, 02:56 AM) *
Russia and Qatar massive faourites according to the bookies. This despite Russia being declared "barely adequate" in their evaluation. Though wit that Panorama show and they way they showed how corrupt FIFA are, it doesn't surprise me Russia are leadin favourites.

USA actually 3rd favourites for 2022 behind Oz.

Oz? huh.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 1 2010, 11:06 PM) *
Yeah, both supporters have ruined it for the country potentially.

Granted Birmingham fans were terrible in running over and starting it, but Villa played their part ripping up seats and chucking them. Pathetic the lot of them.

I hardly think what we did is even comparable. They invaded the pitch, ran over to the Villa fans, then threw flares. It's ridiculous. Make them play their home SF behind closed-doors, at the very least.

QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Dec 2 2010, 12:28 AM) *
Oz? huh.gif

Australia.
Milan Are Brilliant
Can't blame one solely. Your lot retaliated, are Birmingham worse tonight? Yeah, no doubt but if we don't get the WC tomorrow people will begin to put 2+2 together and blame this (even though in reality the decision has surely already been made), so I'd expect both teams to get widely hated for a few months.

The flares got chucked back, the seats got ripped up and chucked it wasn't all purely Birmingham City. Some ran over, most of them legged it back when the police asked, just a handful of clowns continuing, if the riot police wouldn't have been there, no one would have got involved, all trying to act 'hard' in front of their mates. I'm just glad the 2 teams are fairly chilled, it wasn't anything like West Ham V Millwall last year where each has groups of actual nutters, these 2 are just testosterone driven 18 year olds.
kurtsimonw
Nah, sha are as bad as West Ham/Milwall in terms of firms and what not, they'e got quite a rep. I believe they killed a fan up at Stoke last seaon. We left the hooliganism back in the erly 90s, I've not really seen any bad trouble since I was vey young.

Anyways, not long now until the hosts for 2018/2022 are named!

The feeling is it could finish level between us and Russia, meaning it'll go to Sepp Blatter's vote.
Jack Sparrow
Onwards for Mother Russia!!!!
kurtsimonw
No better way to promote football than racism and corruption!

In all seriousness it'll be close, but I agree it'll go to Russia, unsurprisingly.
kurtsimonw
Unconfirmed reports don't look good.
kurtsimonw
I guess the BBC were right.
Milan Are Brilliant
Load of rubbish. Still we have the Olympics and that's still bigger.

Slow claps for Panorama and last night, well done guys.

If 2022, goes to Qatar this is a complete money-making farce.

LMAO, Qatar, are you having a joke, f... this game.
kurtsimonw
Oil and Bribes are 2 words that spring to mind - particularly as 2 voters were found guilty of accepting money for their vote. BBC were bang on it seems.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 2 2010, 03:46 PM) *
Oil and Bribes are 2 words that spring to mind - particularly as 2 voters were found guilty of accepting money for their vote. BBC were bang on it seems.

Fair play to Russia, good luck to them. But Qatar? That is a joke.
kurtsimonw
Russia was the worst of the 4 2018 bids though. A country known for it's racism and intolerance to others is hardly a place you want to host an event that encourages people to go and watch it in the host country. I know Portugal/Spain are known for their racism, but at least they are capable of hosting with good transport links, Russia even admitted themselves transport between cities is awful.
Warchant
I've officially lost all faith in FIFA.

Hope whoever got paid enjoys their new found wealth.
Milan Are Brilliant
It's this whole, lets give it to new countries thing. Yeah, cause South Africa was so great, listening to those Vuvuzuela's, brillliiiant, well done Blatter claps for you. And South Africa is probably worse than Russia.

Amazing how these new places have massive amounts of resource.

I'm not that disappointed because we lost, good luck to Russia but because of Qatar, it's a joke, a money-making joke.

This is why the WC is going down hill, because all the hosts aren't that big on football.
Zed.D
You know, those Arabs have got the money and I have no doubt they will build the most amazing stadiums. but I don't think tourists who travel to there to watch the games will find that country (places NOT to go & see, hell-like temperature, etc etc) satisfactory, will they? don't tell me alcoholic drinks are prohibited as well (?!).

Happy for Russia though. good choice IMO.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 2 2010, 04:00 PM) *
This is why the WC is going down hill, because all the hosts aren't that big on football.

Betting on China getting the WC in 2026?

Blatter's far too PC regarding this sort of thing. Fortunately he's getting old, so the chances of him anything to do with our next bid are close to zero.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 2 2010, 04:04 PM) *
Blatter's far too PC regarding this sort of thing. Fortunately he's getting old, so the chances of him anything to do with our next bid are close to zero.

There's no point bidding anymore, it's a waste of our money.

Qatar, is it even playable. No-one's going to last not the Europeans anyway, it will kill us (Europeans) to play in that.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 2 2010, 04:07 PM) *
There's no point bidding anymore, it's a waste of our money.

Qatar, is it even playable. No-one's going to last not the Europeans anyway, it will kill us (Europeans) to play in that.

I'd just boycott it anyway.

Anyways, they're talking about FIFA's terrible WC decisions of late. Brazil still hasn't got airports built and they're not sure they'll be ready for 2014. Laughable.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 2 2010, 04:13 PM) *
Anyways, they're talking about FIFA's terrible WC decisions of late. Brazil still hasn't got airports built and they're not sure they'll be ready for 2014. Laughable.

Yeah, I hope they're not, these bunch of French muppets deserve it.

If we actually did go out in the first round of voting, then it is pure corruption I'd put my life on that.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 2 2010, 04:17 PM) *
If we actually did go out in the first round of voting, then it is pure corruption I'd put my life on that.

I don't think there's much question of that. I'm not buying this rubbish of "helping develop countries", that's not what a WC is for. You have to be ready and capable of holding one, you can't afford to gamble because the last few haven't paid off. Japan/Korea wasn't as bad, but this years was a disaster.

So the next 2 hosts of the World Cup after Brazil are 2 nations that've won a total of 2 World Cup games in their entire combined history. I think a minimum requirement should really be that you have to have at least qualified for a WC once, it's just farcical otherwise.

If Qatar can have a World Cup, why can't Birmingham? We have a bigger population, more stadiums and we're a footballing City! Birmingham 2026!
Milan Are Brilliant
Yeah, that's what FIFA should be doing with charity work not the ultimate footballing competition. 2002 wasn't that bad but those 2 countries were hardly every incapable of hosting and at least they both had history in the competition anyway.

Qatar have nothing, but... money. The Aussies, or the Americans should have got it (I know they had '94) but at least they do a damn good job at hosting things.
kurtsimonw
I wonder what there will be more of, deaths as a result of racism in 2018 or deaths as a result of heat exposure in 2022?

Problem is it's becoming like the Eurovision Song Contest where it's all about politics and simply put, because we're too busy doing everything in the World, the US and England don't have any friends in that sense.
Milan Are Brilliant
Well, the next few major competitions are incredibly dangerous. South Africa managed it ok, but with Poland (in particular), Brazil, Russia coming up it could create all sorts of hooliganism.

We got 4 votes, we get more in the Eurovision.
LaPalma
This is the biggest joke in the history of FIFA. Russia, OK, their country is way too huge and no one wants to go to places like Wladiwostock and they have no decent stadium...
But Qatar? They could have just as well given the WC to Liechtenstein. The temperatures in Qatar are going to kill the players, there is no infrastructure (stadiums) and there will be no need for 10 massive stadiums after the WC.

England, Spain, Portugal? Hey, that's just countries with great stadiums, great fans and decent infrastructure.

Haha, go f*ck yourself Blatter.
LaPalma
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Dec 2 2010, 05:30 PM) *
I wonder what there will be more of, deaths as a result of racism in 2018 or deaths as a result of heat exposure in 2022?

Problem is it's becoming like the Eurovision Song Contest where it's all about politics and simply put, because we're too busy doing everything in the World, the US and England don't have any friends in that sense.

Poland is OK, but the Ukraine?

The ESC? Come on, even Germany managed to win it this year...
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Dec 2 2010, 04:35 PM) *
This is the biggest joke in the history of FIFA. Russia, OK, their country is way too huge and no one wants to go to places like Wladiwostock and they have no decent stadium...
But Qatar? They could have just as well given the WC to Liechtenstein. The temperatures in Qatar are going to kill the players, there is no infrastructure (stadiums) and there will be no need for 10 massive stadiums after the WC.

England, Spain, Portugal? Hey, that's just countries with great stadiums, great fans and decent infrastructure.

Haha, go f*ck yourself Blatter.

Thankyou!

I think a few people will have to stop there "Kurt and Ash are just biased.." posts after you've said this. biggrin.gif
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Dec 2 2010, 04:36 PM) *
Poland is OK, but the Ukraine?

At least they have Sheva biggrin.gif! Someone, name me one Qatar player? (without Googling) it's a joke.

Poland have massive problems still though, ever seen Wisla Krakow's firm?!

Thankyou!

I think a few people will have to stop there "Kurt and Ash are just biased.." posts after you've said this. biggrin.gif

The thing is, I'm not bothered about us losing overall to Russia, so if any clown posts a response like that in a few hours I will point them back to this. The issue is mainly, Qatar, how is that possible? (our country wasn't even involved in 2022). The other thing is how can we be bottom, with a staggeringly low 4 votes, really, honestly? Ok, we didn't win but that is surely corruption of some sort.
LaPalma
Well, Poland is not perfect, but the fans of some eastern german clubs are scary as well. Qatar....can someone even name a city there despite Doha?
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (LaPalma @ Dec 2 2010, 04:41 PM) *
Well, Poland is not perfect, but the fans of some eastern german clubs are scary as well. Qatar....can someone even name a city there despite Doha?

Not Perfect? When Krakow play their Derby (forgot who against) the police have to have helicopters & heavy armed vehicles! Some parts have a pact I think which prevents weapons, more importantly deaths. However, if FIFA come out and say anything about last night I guess they need to remember stuff like this.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 2 2010, 04:39 PM) *
The thing is, I'm not bothered about us losing overall to Russia, so if any clown posts a response like that in a few hours I will point them back to this. The issue is mainly, Qatar, how is that possible? (our country wasn't even involved in 2022). The other thing is how can we be bottom, with a staggeringly low 4 votes, really, honestly? Ok, we didn't win but that is surely corruption of some sort.

While I agree Russia is more 'acceptable' than Qatar, they have no stadia! Over half of their venues haven't even been built yet and the majority of Russian cities are just very poor and quite clearly not capable of hosting a World Cup. Outside of Moscow, Kazan and St. Petersburg, I'm not sure they really have a great host City.

4 votes is a little suspicious isn't it? I think it needs to be out in the open, holding a vote worth billions behind closed doors is just not acceptable in this day and age.

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Dec 2 2010, 04:46 PM) *
Not Perfect? When Krakow play their Derby (forgot who against) the police have to have helicopters & heavy armed vehicles! Some parts have a pact I think which prevents weapons, more importantly deaths. However, if FIFA come out and say anything about last night I guess they need to remember stuff like this.

Yeah, but they're not English.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.