dst
post Jun 25 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #901

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 25 2012, 08:24 PM) *
In what way is an effort 10 yards from goal hopeful? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Are you seriously comparing a shot at goal in the box with a cross from 20-odd yards that happens to hit the post? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Not every effort 10 yards from the goal is the same. Some are hopeful. Like this one. Like an off-balance overhead kick, which is what Rooney's effort was. You're never going to convince me that a nicely set up shot taken with time not far off the box is more hopeful than one of the hardest things to execute correctly in football.

Yes, in the sense that both efforts put the opposing team under pressure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 25 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #902

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

Rooney wasn't off balance, he just timed it and it come off the top of his foot.

Overall it's irrelevant. I don't think Italy really threatened an awful lot. Hart made few saves and half of them were fairly comfortable from range. They dominated possession and territory without question, but only on few occassions was I actually even worried as a fan.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Jun 25 2012, 06:42 PM

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 25 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #903

Primavera
Group Icon

He was in my opinion but it does not matter and we've digressed. My point was, shots on goal are not indicative of the pressure a team is on. Those saves Hart had to make were not even Italy's best chances so that should tell you much.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 25 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #904

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 25 2012, 06:46 PM) *
He was in my opinion but it does not matter and we've digressed. My point was, shots on goal are not indicative of the pressure a team is on. Those saves Hart had to make were not even Italy's best chances so that should tell you much.

Fair enough, I don't agree for the most part.

Anyway, when do the SFs start, Wednesday?

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 25 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #905

Primavera
Group Icon

Yes, it's Portugal vs Spain Wednesday and Germany vs Italy Thursday.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 25 2012, 08:41 PM) *
I don't think Italy really threatened an awful lot.

I believe you were threatened more than how much you believe you were but that's not what I'm trying to argue. Just that the stat you supported is irrelevant.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jun 25 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #906

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 25 2012, 05:04 PM) *
Let's get things right here, rich mans Stoke? Englands 2only good chances in the same started from our own 18 yard box and were passed up the pitch. Italy's best chances were long balls from Pirlo over the top to Balotelli.

Like I said before, Hart had 8 saves to make in 120 minutes. Don't kid yourselves with the idea that our goal was under total seige the entire game. That's what I mean by 'boring', they played possession stuff like Spain without really threatening much.

As for not being able to predict how the game would go, funny, Me and Ash said exactly that and apparently it was some sort of psychology. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Two chances that came out of the first 20 minutes, the only time England even bothered to play any sort of football. The rest of the game was camping out in their half and launching the ball, especially once Carroll came on.

Italy had other good chances which did not come out of long balls. The fact that they were faced with 8 to 9 men constantly behind the ball is what caused the game to be so lopsided in terms of possession. England simply wouldn't come out and play like they did at the start of the game, where they were causing Italy a few problems, especially Johnson on that right flank.

England did play like a Stoke. And it's not because Italy were far superior like you would see with Barca at Club level. They could have easily played like they should have, a top footballing nation, which is what they are. And that is what I expected, which is why I laughed when you and Ash started talking about being out before the game was played.

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 25 2012, 06:03 PM) *
I don't know why you like stats so much especially when they are as useless as this one. Italy hit the post twice, had a couple of shots not too wide from goal, Montolivo missed one from point blank range, Nocerino had a great chance that was blocked from inside the box etc. Hart did not have to make a save for any of that, does that mean his goal was not under pressure? How so? I'm not saying Italy had a ton of great chances or anything just that this stat could not be more irrelevant when you're talking about how much pressure a team were under.

Agreed

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 25 2012, 06:25 PM) *
Are you actually trying to kid yourself here? I said quote "Italy should win, comfortably" and you came back saying it was psychological. I wrote about 3/4 posts after too confirming that no, we aren't great or anywhere near the level of the Italians. At least admit that you were wrong or overestimated England, there's no way you can now claim 'no-one predicted this'...

Nope not trying to kid anyone.

That performance was miles away from what we saw from Italy in the groups, while again, we saw the same thing from England, which was a solid display.

In fact I wasn't wrong as England took the game to extra time, the only thing I was wrong in was because I expected something more from England but they were simply unwilling to come out of their shell. So forgive me from expecting something more from England in the QFs

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 25 2012, 06:34 PM) *
He won't admit he's wrong. He'll probably still say Juve can't win the title even now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(I'm just messing with you han)

They just took what we lost (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jun 25 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #907

Berretti
Group Icon

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 25 2012, 06:53 PM) *
That performance was miles away from what we saw from Italy in the groups, while again, we saw the same thing from England, which was a solid display.

As mentioned previously though we weren't playing Italy or a team of that class. France were not themselves, yet again they self-destructed. You're not going to get very far with all due respect by beating Sweden & Ukraine alone these days.

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 25 2012, 06:53 PM) *
So forgive me from expecting something more from England in the QFs

Don't worry, I made that mistake too when I was 7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 25 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #908

Primavera
Group Icon

by the way, I'll be supporting Cristiano's side for once.

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 25 2012, 08:55 PM) *
Don't worry, I made that mistake too when I was 7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 25 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #909

Prima Squadra

I don't see the big issue with a QF appearance? It means you're 5-8 best. I am happy with that, honestly. In a region with Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland, Portugal I think it's acceptable personally. Obviously I hope to win every time, but that's not happening.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Jun 25 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #910

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Your sig!

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jun 25 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #911

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 25 2012, 09:13 PM) *
I don't see the big issue with a QF appearance? It means you're 5-8 best. I am happy with that, honestly. In a region with Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland, Portugal I think it's acceptable personally. Obviously I hope to win every time, but that's not happening.

Nothing is wrong with a QF appearence ... Its a tough competition, tough opposition, anybody can exit, one of Italy or Germany will definitely exit in the SF.

Big teams that could all end up finalists on their good day, but this is football.

Misfortune is what we have as football fans, but its entertainment at the end of the day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 25 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #912

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jun 25 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Nothing is wrong with a QF appearence ... Its a tough competition, tough opposition, anybody can exit, one of Italy or Germany will definitely exit in the SF.

Big teams that could all end up finalists on their good day, but this is football.

Misfortune is what we have as football fans, but its entertainment at the end of the day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Agreed.

I fully agree with those that say England have had some awful failures in the past. Euro 2000 and Euro 2008 were unacceptable since I've been watching. But every other tournement I've seen us in we've either 1) reached the QFs/SFs (96, 02, 04, 06, 12) or gone out to what I would consider superior opposition (98, 10). And trying to be objective, how many of the games did we actually lose? 96, 98, 04, 06, 12 were all penalties! 02 was to eventual winner Brazil and one of the best squads there's ever been for a WC in my opinion. 10 was ultimately a very bad scoreline, but who knows what could've been after the Lampard goal.

Overall the 'failure' label is mostly harsh and a result of the spotlight we're under due to our media and our national league. That's just my opinion anyways, others are more than entitled to feel than anything less than a trophy is a failure!

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 26 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #913

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

(IMG:http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/188/c27articolo84923listapa.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jun 26 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #914

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 25 2012, 05:00 PM) *
He's the Muntari of this NT.

If he starts because DDR is still injured then Germany will run riot

You can't compare a poor man's Pippo Inzaghi with Monto. He's always been talented but as I said, he tends to drop off to the rest of the team's level, he's not really one to rise and carry the team, which is why he's never really hit the big leagues imo.

But at Milan he'll be sarrounded by brilliant players, not just Pirlo. And Monto had been playing the entire game as well, maybe he was tired as well and not just because Pirlo started to fade...

He combined with the rest of the midfield amazingly well, and exchanged some nice plays with Cassano, his awerness to pick out a pass is what always caught my eye about him.

Goodness gracious, I didn't compare Gilardino and Monto! I just said he also had talent. But never mind that.

He'll be surrounded by brilliant players?? What are you talking about? He'll be surrounded by a DM (choose one: Ambrosini, Traore, Strasser), Nocerino, Boateng, possibly Constant. This you call brilliant contrary to "just" Pirlo?

Just tired as well? He's 27, Pirlo is 33! And Pirlo just played all of the matches from minute one, while Monto made his first start. No, no, no. Pirlo raised him on another level. Yet surely, he was very good. Yes, he had some nice chemistry with Cassano.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 26 2012, 02:12 AM
Post #915

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 26 2012, 01:46 AM) *
Pirlo raised him on another level.

How, exactly? I saw a very vivid Montolivo last night, being active in every moment of the game, covering every role in midfield, rarely missing a pass, and providing some classy touches and through-balls to the strikers. I really don't understand how Pirlo played had anything to do with it. If anything, it was Italy's fantastic performance that raised Montolivo to another level, something he's rarely experienced at Fiorentina in the last few years.

This post has been edited by X-Offender: Jun 26 2012, 02:13 AM

+Quote Post

81 Pages V  « < 59 60 61 62 63 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:39 AM