Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro 2012
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Fillipo Simone
I think it's about time to open up a Euro thread.
Danny
I want to see Portugal and Croatia do well. Crazily, I wouldn't object to seeing England do ok either. As long as Rooney doesn't feature too heavily.
kurtsimonw
England will do well to get out of the groups. No Rooney or Bent against France and Sweden is going to be tough. Then Ukraine on their own turf, even with Rooney, is a big ask. QF appearance will be a successful tournament for us.

Failing that, Ireland getting slaughtered in their group will be a nice consolation.
Rossoneri7
Holland, the WC2010 finalists will be up there I believe.

Italy will be a surprise and probably do something significant.

Germany has a very strong chance.

I'd also like to see Croatia progress.

han2503
I'm an Azzurri fan so hoping we'll see a great showing from them, the last World Cup was a failure of epic proportions. Losing Rossi is a huge blow but at least Cassano is back

But England crashing out on penalties once again will make it an enjoyable tournament for me biggrin.gif
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 24 2012, 06:57 AM) *
England will do well to get out of the groups. No Rooney or Bent against France and Sweden is going to be tough. Then Ukraine on their own turf, even with Rooney, is a big ask. QF appearance will be a successful tournament for us.

Failing that, Ireland getting slaughtered in their group will be a nice consolation.

As everyone's saying, the big difference this time is no one expects anything. The team is a bit of a mess, there's a new manager, and Rooney isn't available for the majority. This might actually be a chance for an England team to be underdogs and with no pressure, produce.

Though I was watching Euro shocking moments last night and there was some kind of revolt against a manager of Germany, by the players, and said manager lost his job on the eve of a championship and Germany got a new boss. They went on to have a horror tournament.

Richard Bacon, amusingly narrating as always said: 'tip, don't switch your manager before a championship'.
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 24 2012, 02:30 PM) *
I'm an Azzurri fan so hoping we'll see a great showing from them.

+1

Also, won't mind if Germany will win it if Italy won't make it far.
han2503
QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ May 24 2012, 12:59 PM) *
+1

Also, won't mind if Germany will win it if Italy won't make it far.

Meh puke.gif

Never liked the German NT, or any club team either...
X-Offender
I'll be supporting Germany as usual, but after all these years of regularly following the Serie A, I'd be lying if I said I don't care about the Azzurri. So yeah, either Germany or Italy would be fine with me.
Jack Bauer
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 24 2012, 03:56 PM) *
Meh puke.gif

I used to dislike them back when they had boring defensive teams, but in recent years - a lot because many of their players are imigrant descendent - their NT become quite likeable.

I have a good feeling abot the Azzurri, I expect them to advance to later stages.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (han2503 @ May 24 2012, 02:56 PM) *
Meh puke.gif

Italy and Germany for me. The Germans deserve to win something, they've been really good a long time ago and now is their moment I think.

Croatia? I don't see us past the group stage. Expect nothing.
Danny
Could someone sticky this?
William405
Yeah,forgot it was there.
Jack Sparrow
The stuff I have to do to keep the folks on here happy! Soon you'll want mods to do your laundry for you! dry.gif
han2503
Just managed to watch that Panorama documentary that kurt was talking about. Chilling stuff.

I think it's just ridiculous that Uefa would choose these countries over others like England, Italy, etc. I'm not saying that western and central European countries don't have their own problems but that is just beyond anything else
Jack Bauer
Haven't watched it, but you can't give it to the same countries all the time. Hosting it really improves their infrastructure. Look at all the new stadiums in Poland and Ukraine, they have also spent a lot of money to improve the roads, hotels etc..
Fillipo Simone
Haven't watched the documentary either, but what's so shocking in it?
kurtsimonw
As I previously said, the most shocking thing isn't the violence/racism, it's the higher ups attitude of "Errrr, they're not doing Nazi salutes, they're ummm pointing at the opposition? Yeah, that's what they're doing." rolleyes.gif
han2503
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 1 2012, 08:08 PM) *
As I previously said, the most shocking thing isn't the violence/racism, it's the higher ups attitude of "Errrr, they're not doing Nazi salutes, they're ummm pointing at the opposition? Yeah, that's what they're doing." rolleyes.gif

Lol, yep. It was absolutely hilarious how he tried to play it off. He couldn't even look the presenter of the program in the eye. It was very obvious that they were not just pointing to the opposition. And this guy is supposed to occupy a high position in the justice system!! What a farce!!

Still the most shocking thing for me was how they attacked each other and even worse, fans who support the same team but have a different skin colour, just disgusting!!
Fillipo Simone
Well, things will change for the better. England wasn't exactly paradise in 1966. Still, Euros and World Cups IMO present a chance for local and state politics to solve some of the problems.
han2503
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 1 2012, 09:35 PM) *
Well, things will change for the better. England wasn't exactly paradise in 1966. Still, Euros and World Cups IMO present a chance for local and state politics to solve some of the problems.

Imo, giving it to them while things are still this bad is basically rewarding them for not fixing these issues.

Building great stadiums and roads, etc is good and all that, but the safety of the poeple who will be travelling to these countries comes first.

Like I said, I'm not saying that other countries don't have their own troubles with these things. But certainly not to these extremes. And bringing a big summer tournament when these social issues are still not dealth with is just not the right way to go.
Danny
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 1 2012, 09:35 PM) *

Yup, Greece is in a far better place now than it was in 2004...
han2503
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 1 2012, 09:51 PM) *

biggrin.gif

EDIT:
That shouldn't have been funny considering it's about to take us all down with it...
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 1 2012, 10:51 PM) *

Portugal hosted that cup, so I don't see the relevance.
acid911
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 2 2012, 07:41 AM) *
Portugal hosted that cup, so I don't see the relevance.

I'm pretty sure Danny meant the Olympics. unsure.gif The 2004 Athens Olympics held in Greece.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jun 2 2012, 05:55 AM) *
I'm pretty sure Danny meant the Olympics. unsure.gif The 2004 Athens Olympics held in Greece.

Okay, my lack of interest in the Olympics made me forget about that.
acid911
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 2 2012, 10:41 AM) *
Okay, my lack of interest in the Olympics made me forget about that.

Maybe the London 2012 will spark your interest this time around. happy.gif I'm not too keen on Olympics myself, but nevertheless they are a big collective event for all humanity, and frankly should continue at all times. The only events I am remotely interested in are football and just a touch of men's hockey.

Nevertheless, it's always interesting how Euros and Olympics fall in the same summer, every four years. Two of the biggest events in the world so close to each other. Immense.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (acid911 @ Jun 2 2012, 07:50 AM) *
Nevertheless, it's always interesting how Euros and Olympics fall in the same summer, every four years. Two of the biggest events in the world so close to each other. Immense.

At least it are not the World Cup (football) and the Olympics, since the World Cup is the real thing, Euro Cup is just, well, a bit less special because it's only Europe.

Anywho, obviously Euro Cup is nothing compared to Olympics, but pretty much any Olympic sport: I just don't care (don't feel bothered to watch nor follow).

The funny coincidence Greece won the Euro Cup in 2004, was the reason of my earlier mistake. And obviously that's what I rather remember than them being the Olympic host 8 years ago.
kurtsimonw
I think the Euros is special because it is full of quality. With no intention to insult them, the Asian/African/North American regions don't have the real quality of any kind. I think the very best they have in the likes of the USA, Japan and Ivory Coast, would be mid-level Euro teams. So that's where they World Cup is hurt, in my opinion. Though with the Euro expansion to 24 teams, the tournement will become weaker I think.
William405
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 2 2012, 12:38 PM) *
I think the Euros is special because it is full of quality. With no intention to insult them, the Asian/African/North American regions don't have the real quality of any kind. I think the very best they have in the likes of the USA, Japan and Ivory Coast, would be mid-level Euro teams. So that's where they World Cup is hurt, in my opinion. Though with the Euro expansion to 24 teams, the tournement will become weaker I think.

I agree.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 2 2012, 11:38 AM) *

+1
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 2 2012, 11:38 AM) *

That obviously is true, but it still remain just becoming European champ and not World champ, and if anything, the World Cup is harder to win because you not only have to deal with the strongest of Europe, but also of South America.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 2 2012, 05:01 PM) *
That obviously is true, but it still remain just becoming European champ and not World champ, and if anything, the World Cup is harder to win because you not only have to deal with the strongest of Europe, but also of South America.

Actually I disagree. South America usually has 2-3 strong teams; but it's much easier to enter the later stages. Here at the Euro's you have almost equally hard groups.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 2 2012, 06:11 PM) *
Actually I disagree. South America usually has 2-3 strong teams; but it's much easier to enter the later stages. Here at the Euro's you have almost equally hard groups.

Very true, Europe is the bench mark for football IMO.
Danny
Rodgson making a bigger hash of the Terry Ferdinand situation than he already has.

Yes, he probably could only pick one of them, given they almost certainly couldn't play together, but pretending it's for football reasons then persisting with it on injury to Cahill by calling up Kelly has simply rubbed salt in the wound.

He may well be a good football man, good at organising a team on the pitch, but he's lacking the know-how to deal with this situation, and is making a bigger mess of it than it originally was.
Zed.D
I wonder what Capello is thinking right now...
William405
Balloteli is injured.
Danny
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jun 4 2012, 04:53 PM) *
I wonder what Capello is thinking right now...

Glad to be shot of the impossible job tbh. England is a poisoned chalice which so few men have been able to truly handle. Only ones who really could were Ramsey, Venables and Robson. The rest, basically, could not.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 4 2012, 05:16 PM) *
Glad to be shot of the impossible job tbh. England is a poisoned chalice which so few men have been able to truly handle. Only ones who really could were Ramsey, Venables and Robson. The rest, basically, could not.

Spot on.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (William405 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:07 PM) *
Balloteli is injured.

How serious?
han2503
Well that's just great. Now let's wait to hear about Cassano...

Looks like it's going to be another disappointing tournament for the Azzurri
Jack Bauer
Mario Balotelli has been granted an injury reprieve, but Andrea Barzagli is all but ruled out of Euro 2012 for the Azzurri.

Manchester City forward Balotelli pulled out of Italy’s afternoon training session on Monday complaining to chief medic Enrico Castellacci of tightness in his right thigh.

However, after examination, the Italy medics have confirmed that the incident was down to fatigue and that Balotelli did not suffer any damage.

There were also initial fears that the player had instead hurt his right knee, a joint he has previously injured, but this was also ruled out.

Balotelli is expected to be reinstated to full training from tomorrow morning.

However, international colleague Barzagli is almost certainly out of the competition as Castellacci confirmed that the Juventus man suffered a first degree calf strain.

Likely to keep the defender out for up to 20 days, Cesare Prandelli has until 24 hours before the team’s first match with Spain on Sunday to call up a replacement.

Andrea Ranocchia is believed to be in prime contention, having been in the 25-man squad Prandelli named before cutting it to 23 last week.

Bonucci in the starting 11 dry.gif
X-Offender
I'd call Ranocchia and actually have him as starter alongside Chiellini. He's miles better than Bonucci.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 5 2012, 12:31 AM) *
I'd call Ranocchia and actually have him as starter alongside Chiellini. He's miles better than Bonucci.

+1

Yet this won't happen. Hmh, why not try calling up Nesta?
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 5 2012, 01:16 AM) *
+1

Yet this won't happen. Hmh, why not try calling up Nesta?

That'd be great. Mediaset suggests Astori might be picked up.
kurtsimonw
The answer is simple.

han2503
Prandelli has a fetish for the Juve and Fiorentina players it seems.

Bonucci is just a terrible defender that shouldn't have even been called up in the first place. Not that Ranocchia is all that great but he is better than bonehead Bonucci
Fillipo Simone
Juve and Viola fethis? I don't know. Maybe before, when he used to call-up Gamberini and some others. But now the squad has 1 ex-Fiorentina player. As for Juventus...I wouldn't call it a fetish. Buffon-Bonucci-Barzagli-Chiellini is the Serie A record winning defense, it isn't a Ferrara-Iuliano-Zambrotta combination, but hey, there isn't much better anyway! Ranocchia is okay, but not much better then Bonucci. I guess Prandelli put weight on the fact that Bonucci and Chiellini know each other very well. It's an important detail.
X-Offender
I've always believed that Ranocchia has the potential of becoming a great CB, whilst Bonucci will always sail on this wave of mediocrity for the rest of his career. But I suppose Prandelli should go with Fillipo's suggestion and call Nesta. You never know, he might actually agree this time around, not playing for a major club and being at the end line of his career. He doesn't have that much responsibility as in the past about his injuries.
Zed.D
Netsa is a man of his word, there's no way he'd come out of retirement.

I don't know which one's better (or worse), Bonucci or Ranocchia. I've seen many mistakes and simply bad defending from Ranocchia as well.

All I know is that it makes more sense for Serie A's best "defense" to form Azzurri's backline in the Euros. but look at the bright side: should Italy go down, it'll be with Juve's defense. it'd do us good next season if the supposedly invincible Juve defense were torn apart this summer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.