Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don Silvio ends title dream

mishie
post Dec 16 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,072

Milan patron Silvio Berlusconi has effectively given up on the Scudetto. “Our objective is to get back into the Champions League.”

Sunday’s 4-2 defeat at Juventus left them nine points adrift of leaders Inter and in joint third place with Napoli.

“Has the Scudetto slipped from our grasp? Well, nine points is a lot,” confessed Berlusconi, who is also Prime Minister of Italy.

“In any case, we will try to reduce the gap because that is essential for us, so we can return to fighting it out in Europe in the Champions League.”

For several years the Rossoneri have almost snubbed Serie A in order to focus their energy on the continental trophies and Club World Cup.

Last season they failed to qualify in the top four and are competing in the UEFA Cup this term, but it seems that will be their only chance at some silverware.

“The Champions League place is our objective and I think we are able to achieve that,” he added on Milan Channel.

“Sometimes a man has to sleep and Milan can occasionally allow themselves that luxury, too. Not for long, though…”

channel4.com

so we are having a little rest before what tho?? some BIG signings..i hope so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Warchant
post Dec 16 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 703

why were these comments even necessary?

amazing

+Quote Post

mishie
post Dec 16 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Nazionali

QUOTE (Warchant @ Dec 16 2008, 08:57 PM) *
why were these comments even necessary?

amazing

My guess is to try and take some of the pressure off Mr.Anchelotti and the players (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Dec 16 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #4

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE (mishie @ Dec 16 2008, 10:01 PM) *
My guess is to try and take some of the pressure off Mr.Anchelotti and the players (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

It sure is. And to send a mild warning that his patience and understanding isn't infinitive.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Dec 16 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #5

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Dec 17 2008, 12:06 AM) *
It sure is. And to send a mild warning that his patience and understanding isn't infinitive.

+1

+Quote Post

dst
post Dec 16 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #6

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Dec 16 2008, 11:06 PM) *

It's not like he's faultless for the state of the squad...

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post Dec 16 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #7

Dida per sempre

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,563

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Dec 16 2008, 01:06 PM) *

About the second part, I don't think so. You'd think it had run out after finishing fifth and crashing out of the CL early last season.

Weren't we openly saying that the Scudetto was our top priority at the start of the season? And now we're packing it in before the winter break. For cripes' sake, what kind of message does that convey?

Fact is, Berlu is becoming more complacent about running this team. With our trophy case stuffed to the gills, why should he lose any sleep over it nowadays?

This post has been edited by MizNelson: Dec 16 2008, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Dec 16 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #8

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

He surely can't have faith in the coach/players. We're 9 points behind Inter, beating them head-to-head next spring means that's down to 6 points. Does he really not think we can make up 6 points over 20-some games?

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Dec 16 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #9

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

So our objective officially changed to 'getting back into the CL'... great (IMG:http://qsmile.com/qsimages/202.gif)

Since we're a team that don't care about the league when we're participating in the CL, because the man in charge likes it more, I can't see us winning the league until we miss out on the CL again.

How easily we missed this golden chance to win the league... I can't believe it.

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Dec 16 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,499

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Dec 16 2008, 10:24 PM) *
How easily we missed this golden chance to win the league... I can't believe it.

C'mon, it's friggin' DECEMBER. Anything can still happen, one injury to Zlatan and Inter will be in biig trouble.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Dec 16 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #11

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

Fishdoll belatedly +1 cookies to Locke for a cool sig. Gotta love the flying donkeys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/96.gif)

+Quote Post

Habitant
post Dec 16 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #12

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,763

QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Dec 16 2008, 09:33 PM) *
C'mon, it's friggin' DECEMBER. Anything can still happen, one injury to Zlatan and Inter will be in biig trouble.

tell that to silvio, they way we sway back and forth with these so call objectives (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) it just goes to show their content it putting up this masquerade.

i'm sure their just happy right now cuz beckham is coming which means more money.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Dec 16 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #13

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

Milan's actually in better financial shape than other italian clubs - even though that's not saying an awful lot. The clubs who finished ahead of Milan in the league all have significantly higher debt, for example, and in Italy debt isn't generally offset by things like owning the stadium. The one bright spot I see in Beckham's coming to Milan (and despite his admirable determination to represent his country, I don't know if there's really all that much footballing merit to it) is that he'll make the club some needed bucks.

+Quote Post

Habitant
post Dec 16 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #14

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,763

yes and i dont oppose the benefits that are derived, because this a business and with the current ecomic condition )not just in italy but worldwide) we will have to be shrewd. but this doesnt change the fact they have deliver a winning team, to sell this product to the fans and changing our objectives with 2/3s of the season left for the 3 years running without that much concern doesnt exactly inspire confidence.

This post has been edited by Habitant: Dec 16 2008, 11:37 PM

+Quote Post

mishie
post Dec 16 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Nazionali

I think its been discussed in a previous thread (can't be bothered to try and find it) about now that Berlusconi is now P.M it wouldn't be prudent for him to be seen throwing millions of euros at his football club even tho he would love i'm sure...the Beckham factor will help for sure and i still think a winter mercato buy may well appear but i still see this as a little nudge towards Mr.Anchelotti saying time is running out unless you improve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:46 PM