> WC 2018/2022

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jan 15 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #256

Berretti
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 90

Though the WC final is always on a Sunday (I think, at least in recent years) and the big games are often at the weekends, this would clash with the NFL. Unless people don't sleep for 24 hours I don't know how it won't affect viewing figures. Obviously, I don't know the time differences for localised areas in America and Qatar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Brian Birkin
post Jan 16 2011, 03:25 AM
Post #257

Esordienti B 96

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 463

I agree that players maybe finding a better run of form in January, many players are tired as it is now.

But I think it is important to remember that it is long time to go at this moment, and I think there should be caution with saying a lot now. I am confident that if there is World Cup in January there will be a way thought out for it.

+Quote Post

servbot
post Jan 16 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #258

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,771

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jan 15 2011, 03:16 PM) *
Though the WC final is always on a Sunday (I think, at least in recent years) and the big games are often at the weekends, this would clash with the NFL. Unless people don't sleep for 24 hours I don't know how it won't affect viewing figures. Obviously, I don't know the time differences for localised areas in America and Qatar.

An 8 PM game in Doha would be at 12 noon in New York, 11 AM in Chicago, and 9 AM on the West Coast. (I had to look it up). That would make it 5 PM in Europe, I believe.

So it would coincide with a Sunday NFL playoff game (1 PM NY time start) besides the Super Bowl, which is played in the evening.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jan 16 2011, 08:42 AM
Post #259

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (servbot @ Jan 16 2011, 07:37 AM) *
That would make it 5 PM in Europe, I believe.

Only GMT European countries. I think most of Europe is +1/+2 though, so it'd be 6/7. But yeah, you're right, you'd likely miss the early playoff games at the weekend if you wanted to watch the WC.

+Quote Post

servbot
post Jan 16 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #260

Giovanissimi Regionali B

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 16 2011, 01:42 AM) *
Only GMT European countries. I think most of Europe is +1/+2 though, so it'd be 6/7. But yeah, you're right, you'd likely miss the early playoff games at the weekend if you wanted to watch the WC.

Is GMT like Daylight Savings Time here, where in spring the clocks go forward an hour, then back an hour in fall? I know it changes a little because I remember a couple Milan games last spring starting an hour different, so either Italy switched or we switched first and the other caught up a couple of weeks later.

Or, I'm probably a moron...on real thought GMT is probably a timezone (G for Greenwich?)

Final edit...I figured it all out, looks like there's a two-week difference in the standard/daylight savings schedule.

This post has been edited by servbot: Jan 16 2011, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jan 16 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #261

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (servbot @ Jan 16 2011, 07:48 AM) *
Is GMT like Daylight Savings Time here, where in spring the clocks go forward an hour, then back an hour in fall? I know it changes a little because I remember a couple Milan games last spring starting an hour different, so either Italy switched or we switched first and the other caught up a couple of weeks later.

Or, I'm probably a moron...on real thought GMT is probably a timezone (G for Greenwich?)

Final edit...I figured it all out, looks like there's a two-week difference in the standard/daylight savings schedule.

GMT is a timezone yeah. I don't know if it's just because I'm English, but I think GMT is generally seen as 0? Then you have CET which is GMT +1 and so on.

+Quote Post

servbot
post Jan 16 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #262

Giovanissimi Regionali B

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 16 2011, 01:54 AM) *
GMT is a timezone yeah. I don't know if it's just because I'm English, but I think GMT is generally seen as 0? Then you have CET which is GMT +1 and so on.

For some reason when I read "GMT countries" my brain farted. Yeah I've seen the +1, +2, etc before, and yes GMT is seen as 0, but it's not common to see here as everything that isn't local-only is compared to New York time (another case of Ameri-centrism, perhaps?), which is listed as EST (E=Eastern).

Although maybe the winter WC won't happen? ESPN SoccerNet:

Far from impressed with Blatter's repeated claims that the tournament could be held at a different time, AFC chief Mohamed bin Hammam, who led the successful Qatar bid, has hit back by saying he firmly expected the World Cup to take place in the summer despite the "health risks" raised by a FIFA evaluation.

"We submitted a bid suggesting we are going to be ready in June and July. And we said we are going to face all the challenges and we are going to meet all the requirements. Our focus is June, July. It is never our interest to change one week beyond June and July," bin Hamman told Sky News.

Furthermore, in response to UEFA president Michel Platini's proposal that Qatar may be asked to "share" the World Cup so that it is played across the whole of the Gulf, bin Hammam retorted: "Qatar can stand alone and organise the competition by itself."

Blatter continued to draw further criticism with a startling admission during an interview with CNN on Thursday, when he admitted that FIFA committee members "vote more with their heart than they vote with their head."

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jan 16 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #263

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (servbot @ Jan 16 2011, 08:06 AM) *
For some reason when I read "GMT countries" my brain farted. Yeah I've seen the +1, +2, etc before, and yes GMT is seen as 0, but it's not common to see here as everything that isn't local-only is compared to New York time (another case of Ameri-centrism, perhaps?), which is listed as EST (E=Eastern).

I don't think it's Ameri-centrism (if that's even a word/expression!?), just a way to distinguish times between the different timezones that may view the same programme. A little OT, but what's the 4th timezone called? I hear on the NFL that they say Eastern, Pacific and Mid-West alot, what about the other? And is Chicago Mid-West, or is Denver?

Awesome news about the WC though, Mo's making a good impression on me already!

+Quote Post

servbot
post Jan 16 2011, 09:30 AM
Post #264

Giovanissimi Regionali B

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 16 2011, 02:17 AM) *
I don't think it's Ameri-centrism (if that's even a word/expression!?), just a way to distinguish times between the different timezones that may view the same programme. A little OT, but what's the 4th timezone called? I hear on the NFL that they say Eastern, Pacific and Mid-West alot, what about the other? And is Chicago Mid-West, or is Denver?

Awesome news about the WC though, Mo's making a good impression on me already!

Can I get credit for making it up then? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'm sure I've heard the term somewhere though.

The one you're missing is called Mountain, which would be only Denver I think as far as big cities go. Chicago time is called Central here, but calling it mid-west would be appropriate too since that's what the area is called.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jan 16 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #265

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

For those interested in the 2022 WC bid and how things are shaping up ... Qatar's CTC (Centeral Tendering Committee) will be in collaboration with the region's qualified companies to bid for projects in the pipe-line.

The job descriptions are valued at over USD $50 billion; the total scope of work is @ USD $160 billion. The initial $50 billion is the value of stadiums and relevant hotels/resorts, while the remaining USD 110 billion is for infrastructural works to build Qatar.

Amongst the names of companies to be invited are the GCC's biggest contractors such as; Bin Laden Group, Kharafi National, Combined Group, and Ahmadia.

I wish I could indulge in the bashing of Qatar ... But considering the above, the 2022 WC could very well be one to remember, considering by 2022 Qatar will be the most advanced nation on earth in terms of its infrastructure.

For those who do not understand what infrastructure is .... It simply means the foundations of a country ie; airports, roads, bridges, underground wiring, telecommunications, shipping ports, and all relevant pieces that make up a country.

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Jan 16 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #266

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,499

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Jan 16 2011, 11:19 AM) *
For those interested in the 2022 WC bid and how things are shaping up ... Qatar's CTC (Centeral Tendering Committee) will be in collaboration with the region's qualified companies to bid for projects in the pipe-line.

The job descriptions are valued at over USD $50 billion; the total scope of work is @ USD $160 billion. The initial $50 billion is the value of stadiums and relevant hotels/resorts, while the remaining USD 110 billion is for infrastructural works to build Qatar.

Amongst the names of companies to be invited are the GCC's biggest contractors such as; Bin Laden Group, Kharafi National, Combined Group, and Ahmadia.

I wish I could indulge in the bashing of Qatar ... But considering the above, the 2022 WC could very well be one to remember, considering by 2022 Qatar will be the most advanced nation on earth in terms of its infrastructure.

For those who do not understand what infrastructure is .... It simply means the foundations of a country ie; airports, roads, bridges, underground wiring, telecommunications, shipping ports, and all relevant pieces that make up a country.

Ok, who didn't at least smirk at that one?

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jan 16 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #267

Prima Squadra

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think them getting it (combined with Russia) stinks of £££ and I am 100% opposed to the January idea, but I don't really doubt the country in terms of getting ready.

My main concern is the support, it'd be terrible to set empty stadiums for WC games, let's hope it drastically improves upon the Asian Cup figures.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jan 16 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #268

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jan 16 2011, 05:34 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think them getting it (combined with Russia) stinks of £££ and I am 100% opposed to the January idea, but I don't really doubt the country in terms of getting ready.

My main concern is the support, it'd be terrible to set empty stadiums for WC games, let's hope it drastically improves upon the Asian Cup figures.

Ofcourse it does ... Its the mother of all jackpots ... I would even bet you that the figures that were sent to the UEFA headquarters was mindboggling, and I bet you that most of it didn't come from Qatar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I hate it ... I find it uncouth, but you are talking about a nation that cashed in on its Natural Gas fields for the next ten years. Wallstreet and Canary wharf were rubbing their hands when the votes were announced ... Do you know what will bail out Greece, Spain, Italy ? Let alone kick-start the whole global economy? Qatar ? ... Yes that tiny ****-hole !

+Quote Post

Obsequestrianist...
post Jan 26 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #269

Pulcini 99

Member No.: 8,113

QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Jan 16 2011, 10:39 AM) *
Ok, who didn't at least smirk at that one?

Well once they've got over the property crash it should be plane sailing from there on in.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:11 PM