> Nesta, Alessandro Nesta

acid911
post Oct 31 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #841

Berretti

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 1 2013, 02:51 AM) *
So, am I the only one who considers him a better defender than Maldini? (Don't kill me dst!)

Eh, I'd imagine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Maldini was miles (okay maybe just a country mile, not miles) ahead of Nesta. And Alessandro was leagues ahead of most other defenders. Nesta had a tendency to give away nasty fouls and penalty kicks. Maldini was class and grace personified, he'd rob attackers without even letting them know he was there.

And that's without even talking about a player that could use both feet at will, and at frequency, and played left back even though he was naturally right footed, and then had to run back and forth the pitch throughout the duration of a match. Add in other qualities, and it may be a race, but one that Maldini will win with eyes closed.

But I have always maintained that Maldini is the best defender ever, and if he can see another player from the mountain that he stands on, it is Nesta. None other are within sight even. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif) Oh, and Paolo always took care not to injure opponent players, even when tackling, Nesta did not. He injured himself and others with some rash moves.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Oct 31 2013, 11:25 PM
Post #842

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

I don't feel the same. To me, Nesta was the perfection of defending. Like, if someone asked what would be the perfect defender, I would just say Nesta. Maldini, at least in those years I watched him, had moments of blackout every now and then, and in his last two years he was more bad than good.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Oct 31 2013, 11:37 PM
Post #843

Berretti

Yeah, that's probably the reason I reckoned you would cite. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But man, Maldini, the last five years or so was not even a tenth of his overall career. You just have to go back and back, and the more you go, the more this will stop being a comparison. When Ronaldo and Zidane fear you, and don't attack from the left, you know you're something.

Think of it this way, imagine Nesta playing in his 40s, there will be more than blackouts, I assure you.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Oct 31 2013, 11:46 PM
Post #844

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Maybe. Perhaps Maldini gave his best during the 90s and early 00s, when I didn't watch football and was too little to understand. But ever since we signed Nesta in 2002 and until he left us, I will always remember him as the greatest defender I have ever witnessed.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Nov 1 2013, 12:05 AM
Post #845

Berretti

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 1 2013, 04:46 AM) *
Maybe. Perhaps Maldini gave his best during the 90s and early 00s, when I didn't watch football and was too little to understand.

He did, he indubitably did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/king.gif) Even though he is my most favorite player ever, just ahead of Ronaldo, his best was 80s and 90s. Two decades of awesomeness. The remaining yeas were golden too, and he never for once felt like he lost the touch. But as I feared you just had not seen the icon at his absolute prime.

I like to think Maldini as a gift to the game of football, he truly has been. There was a recent TV series 'Football's Greatest', very well made, and it ranked the top 25 players of all time. Only one Italian. Guess who? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) The only player who made a number, his playing position his own. There never will be another LB, ever, that touches Paolo.

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 1 2013, 04:46 AM) *
But ever since we signed Nesta in 2002 and until he left us, I will always remember him as the greatest defender I have ever witnessed.

Oh, that's perfectly fine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) You saw him, you know him as the greatest defender. But Nesta and Paolo have been the closest of friends, and in multiple interviews I have seen Nesta saying that Maldini was way ahead of him. Then again like I said, you can take any other defender (save for a few legends), and Nesta will be way ahead.

I'd suggest watching a full length documentary DVD of Paolo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Name is Paolo Maldini - Il Film.

(IMG:http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4667/472big.jpg)

+Quote Post

Jack Bauer
post Nov 1 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #846

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 6,705

QUOTE (KillerMax @ Oct 31 2013, 11:35 PM) *
And I have to say I can not, let me say that again, I CAN NOT believe I got to see him and Maldini play together for so long... So f@cking lucky and for Milan? I'm gonna cry now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/begging.gif) (IMG:http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/crying.gif) (IMG:http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/crybaby.gif)

So true. We were really blessed to see those stacked Milan teams over the years and not only ability but tons of class too (I was also very lucky to see Milan of Baresi as MVB as a kid). With our current state, god knows how many years we'll have to wait to see something even remotely close to that again.
---------------

I agree wit acid. X-off, you can't make a fair comparison if you haven't seen both of them it their prime.

This post has been edited by Jack Bauer: Nov 1 2013, 12:14 AM

+Quote Post

dst
post Nov 1 2013, 03:19 AM
Post #847

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 31 2013, 09:51 PM) *
So, am I the only one who considers him a better defender than Maldini? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (Don't kill me dst!)

I'm not gonna kill you. I'm going to keep you alive and exhibit you as an example of stupidity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

The truth is, inn Maldini's last few years at Milan, Nesta was definitely better. You could make a case for Nesta at his peak vs Maldini at his peak but Maldini wins for consistency (Nesta had a couple of bad games every year and some of them were big games) and ability with the ball.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Nov 1 2013, 07:37 AM
Post #848

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Oct 31 2013, 10:51 PM) *
So, am I the only one who considers him a better defender than Maldini? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (Don't kill me dst!)

I think if we judge them on their time together at Milan, definitely. Like you I'm too young to remember Maldini in his prime really.

+Quote Post

Ry4n
post Nov 7 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #849

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 932

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca32ftPvmRY

Nesta !!

+Quote Post

57 Pages V  « < 55 56 57
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:13 AM