> Euro 2012

CHU-LIP
post Jun 28 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #1021

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 7,230

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 28 2012, 05:17 PM) *
Spain were the best side at the tournement by a distance. Then Holland.

Someone really hates Germany.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 28 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #1022

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 28 2012, 04:38 PM) *
Someone really hates Germany.

Not really, not sure why it seems so strange I think the 2 Finalists - including the team that knocked Germany out - were better than Germany. If we're talking relative, you could even say Ghana/Uruguay had a better World Cup because nobody expected them to do what they did. To Germany SF is just expected.

+Quote Post

drucurl
post Jun 28 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #1023

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 4,041

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jun 28 2012, 03:47 AM) *
Why the first one? he could have taken another one, like the one Alves missed. and no, IMO as someone in the running for Ballon d'Or/someone considered the year's best player, etc. etc. he should have taken a penalty, and faced up to the criticism if he missed. that's how it is, that's called responsibility and it comes with that armband, it comes with the every day, excessive hype these guys get.

Messi would have never chickened away from taking a penalty for Argentina against Spain and his teammates. granted, Ronaldo's problem was Casillas who he probably thought might read his mind, but he still should have gone for it. especially after the underwhelming performance he had put in 120 minutes minus the first half maybe.

Totally right. Was just trying to explain that it wasn't as straightforward as "he was too chicken to take it". Sometimes the last pen is just as tough as the first. Look at how Spain too used both their defenders first to take them (Alonso went first I know).

In '03 $heva took our last pen after the likes of serginho etc

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 28 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #1024

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 28 2012, 06:17 PM) *
Spain were the best side at the tournement by a distance. Then Holland.

Surely not by a distance but I agree.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Jun 28 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #1025

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 28 2012, 06:42 PM) *
If it was Messi in the same situation, he'd be glorified for wanting to take the penalty that has the most pressure, I don't get the hate at all. People seem to just assume he wanted to score the winner. The guy is not psychic, he doesn't know what the score would be by the 5th. No logic at all.

Actually, if it was Messi in the same situation he wouldn't get to take the penalty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The reason why Ronaldo didn't take the first penalty is clear to me, he was afraid he'd miss it a la Real-Bayern. he stepped aside for the good of his team and I appreciate that, but at the same time it says a thing or two about his low self confidence in the most intense moments.

People seem to just assume he wanted to score the winner.

What? I never assumed that. and there's nothing wrong with scoring the winning penalty.

QUOTE (drucurl @ Jun 28 2012, 08:48 PM) *
Totally right. Was just trying to explain that it wasn't as straightforward as "he was too chicken to take it". Sometimes the last pen is just as tough as the first. Look at how Spain too used both their defenders first to take them (Alonso went first I know).

In '03 $heva took our last pen after the likes of serginho etc

You can't compare the '03 Milan with this Portugal. Ronaldo is by far his team's best as well as the most experienced player, the others look up to him. whether Portugal perform depends on whether he has a good game or not (which wasn't the case last night). the same can't be said about that Milan or Spain which both were/are full of top class players/superstars.

I would've found it more acceptable if he'd taken his penalty but missed it. but he didn't, and after Cesc scored the winning penalty I was like "WTF, WHY DIDN'T RONALDO TAKE ONE!!?"

This post has been edited by Zed.D: Jun 28 2012, 06:07 PM

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jun 28 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #1026

Berretti
Group Icon

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jun 28 2012, 08:47 AM) *
Messi would have never chickened away from taking a penalty for Argentina against Spain and his teammates. granted, Ronaldo's problem was Casillas who he probably thought might read his mind, but he still should have gone for it. especially after the underwhelming performance he had put in 120 minutes minus the first half maybe.

Oh god.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 28 2012, 03:12 PM) *
If it was Messi in the same situation, he'd be glorified for wanting to take the penalty that has the most pressure, I don't get the hate at all. People seem to just assume he wanted to score the winner. The guy is not psychic, he doesn't know what the score would be by the 5th. No logic at all.

Ronaldo sells the game a LOT just like LeBron a lot of people tune into the hope that he will 'fail', now obviously that failure can be determined by anything at all. FIFA must absolutely love the guy, no one sells the game like he does.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jun 28 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #1027

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

I don't believe that Ronaldo "stepped aside" as you put it zeddie, I truely believe that he was meant to take the last one. Actually I'm 100% sure of this.

For me it's not an issue of why they didn't place him first or second or third but why Alves took a penalty to begin with. He first started walking to take their 3rd kick then went back and when I saw him coming up to take that I knew he would miss, he just did not look right. Anyone else one that team should have took it, heck their keeper would have most likely scored that

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jun 28 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #1028

Berretti
Group Icon

If Ronaldo took the first, people would have said he took the easy option out. The guy can't win.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jun 28 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #1029

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 28 2012, 05:16 PM) *
If Ronaldo took the first, people would have said he took the easy option out. The guy can't win.

Anyway, isn't it the coach's decision to list his takers?

I'm pretty sure he would have wanted his best player taking a penalty which is why I think he was going to take the last one.

Last night was one of the few times that I felt sorry for him and was really rooting, not just for Portugal, but for him as well.

Portugal would have deserved that final a lot more than Spain imo.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jun 28 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #1030

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 28 2012, 10:14 PM) *
Oh god.

Oh oh god. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 28 2012, 10:15 PM) *
I don't believe that Ronaldo "stepped aside" as you put it zeddie, I truely believe that he was meant to take the last one. Actually I'm 100% sure of this.

For me it's not an issue of why they didn't place him first or second or third but why Alves took a penalty to begin with. He first started walking to take their 3rd kick then went back and when I saw him coming up to take that I knew he would miss, he just did not look right. Anyone else one that team should have took it, heck their keeper would have most likely scored that

+1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) Only thing I'll add is that Alves struck it powerfully and accurately, just bad luck it hit the post.

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 28 2012, 10:16 PM) *

Truer word have never been spoken. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif) From where I saw it, it seemed a sure bet that CRON was ready to take the last one. As captain. As best player of the team. It was either the first or the last for him, as these are usually the two most crucial penalty kicks in a shootout. Had Portugal been in with a chance, that last one would have sealed it. You could almost see his disbelief when Spain scored the last one.

I mean, here we have a team that put the best team in the world at bay for 120 minutes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) And that counts for little to nothing. While I am in no way saying that Cristiano had a terribly good game, it wasn't terribly bad either. He just couldn't get enough time on the ball and chances to assert his authority. Sure would like to see a Messi-ful Argentina try and do it someday. France tried it and it exploded in their face.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jun 28 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #1031

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 28 2012, 10:19 PM) *
Portugal would have deserved that final a lot more than Spain imo.

Agreed, and in many ways if you look at it, they were the better side yesterday too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) It was up to Spain to take the initiative like they always do, but Portugal kept them at bay and how. Contrao was massive all through the match, definitely one of Euro 2012's best players. Such is the game, I guess.

The shootout shifted momentum twice in the first two saves, by both the Portuguese and Spanish keepers.

+Quote Post

drucurl
post Jun 28 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #1032

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 4,041

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 28 2012, 01:16 PM) *

Agreed. I think there will always be a desire to portray one as an arrogant villain and the other as the unassuming hero. The whole thing sells.

Of course Messi's failings are routinely swept under the carpet such as the hissy fit he threw when he felt threatened by iBra or the fact that he's definitely the same player for his country. Football is running out of heroes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 28 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #1033

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jun 28 2012, 08:26 PM) *
+1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) Only thing I'll add is that Alves struck it powerfully and accurately, just bad luck it hit the post.

Accurately? If he was aiming for the post then yes. I don't think luck is involved either, the ball will go where you send it at.

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jun 28 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #1034

Berretti
Group Icon

Let's go Italy!

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 28 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #1035

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 28 2012, 06:19 PM) *
Anyway, isn't it the coach's decision to list his takers?

Yes.

And either way, it takes balls to take a penalty. It takes even more to take the last one - whether he wanted it for 'selfish glory' or not.

+Quote Post

81 Pages V  « < 67 68 69 70 71 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:33 AM