Total Votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 

servbot
post Jun 6 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,771

So, I'm currently in a bit of debate with an Englishman on my poker forum, as it's a mostly American group and a couple of us are trying to educate and generate interest among the Americans there. I know Mourinho had said it, and apparently one guy said Steve Nash (NBA guard who's good at football) said it, and now this guy says it too. That World Cup is inferior to the CL, and he even went so far as to say inferior to EPL and La Liga (lol at La Liga).

After watching the club teams all year long, I can't say it's even close. The World Cup is the most entertaining and has the best overall talent.

So what do you guys think? I'll throw Euro Cup in there since Kurt had that discussion earlier too, and Serie A since this is, after all a Milan forum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

CHU-LIP
post Jun 6 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,230

How do you define ''best''? World Cup is most important, most precious to win, if you wanna win one, it's World Cup. Which one is the hardest to win? Probably World Cup too. Which one got the most high quality matches? Probably Euro Cup beat World Cup in this. Anyway, I just going to vote for World Cup.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 6 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #3

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Your friend and Mourinho and Steve Nash and co. need a brainwash.

However, personally, I find the CL more entertaining for the simple reason that I don't support Italy or Germany as much as I support Milan. If Italy gets kicked out of the WC, I'm like "Oh well, whatever...". When Milan gets kicked out of the CL, I don't sleep for the whole week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But yeah, leaving that aspect aside, the WC is the most important football competition in the world.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Jun 6 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #4

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Your friend and Mourinho and Steve Nash and co. need a brainwash.

However, personally, I find the CL more entertaining for the simple reason that I don't support Italy or Germany as much as I support Milan. If Italy gets kicked out of the WC, I'm like "Oh well, whatever...". When Milan gets kicked out of the CL, I don't sleep for the whole week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But yeah, leaving that aspect aside, the WC is the most important football competition in the world.

this is exactly me.

This post has been edited by Bluesummers: Jun 6 2010, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post

CHU-LIP
post Jun 6 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #5

Giovanissimi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 08:07 PM) *

OMG, this is me too... I support Italy and Germany on World Cups and Euro Cups... but AC Milan in CL makes me most happy or sad... CL with Milan is awesome, but without CL is meh...

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 6 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 6 2010, 09:18 PM) *
OMG, this is me too... I support Italy and Germany on World Cups and Euro Cups... but AC Milan in CL makes me most happy or sad... CL with Milan is awesome, but without CL is meh...

Aye. 2008/2009 CL was probably the most boring one (for me). I don't remember anything about it except the final.

+Quote Post

CHU-LIP
post Jun 6 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #7

Giovanissimi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Aye. 2008/2009 CL was probably the most boring one (for me). I don't remember anything about it except the final.

I never have showed so little interest in a CL a whole season long like that year... I just didn't give a f...

Though, except for Chelsea - Barça...

+Quote Post

servbot
post Jun 6 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #8

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 6,771

I mean in terms of talent displayed and in terms of enjoyment to watch as a fan.

Good point about how much you support a side playing a big difference.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 6 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #9

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

Depends what you mean by 'best'.

I enjoy watching the Euro's and Premier League more than the World Cup. But the World Cup is certainly bigger in terms of prestige. I don't really care for the CL in the slightest.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post Jun 6 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #10

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,075

I like the World Cup just in terms of pure competition. I think the CL has the highest quality football in general terms.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 6 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 6 2010, 11:06 PM) *
I don't really care for the CL in the slightest.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 7 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #12

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 10:35 PM) *

It hasn't been a respectable competition since it turned into groups and decided to let pretty much anyone in.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 7 2010, 03:36 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 7 2010, 04:11 AM) *
It hasn't been a respectable competition since it turned into groups and decided to let pretty much anyone in.

How does that exactly make it unrespectable? I'd say the contrary, letting in the best clubs from every European country makes it a fair and square competition, even though the big names will always win. That's the law of every sport.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 7 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #14

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 7 2010, 03:36 AM) *
How does that exactly make it unrespectable? I'd say the contrary, letting in the best clubs from every European country makes it a fair and square competition, even though the big names will always win. That's the law of every sport.

But it isn't fair really.

Forcing the title winners of Cyprus through a qualifier where they'll be lucky to lose by less than 5-0 is hardly fair when the teams who finish 4th in some countries get in. Should go back to the old format - holders + league winners ony and a straight knockout. Seeding + group stage just plays into the big clubs hands too much, I don't like it.

Just my pesonal opinion anyway. I won't go out of my way to watch games or anything, other than Milans.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Jun 7 2010, 03:42 AM

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Jun 7 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #15

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

I agree that CL has more quality. that said, I prefer the World Cup to any other football competition.

EDIT: I voted World Cup because it's not just about quality (not that World Cup is very much behind CL in that respect).

This post has been edited by Zed.D: Jun 7 2010, 10:06 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 02:49 PM