Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The best competition?
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
servbot
So, I'm currently in a bit of debate with an Englishman on my poker forum, as it's a mostly American group and a couple of us are trying to educate and generate interest among the Americans there. I know Mourinho had said it, and apparently one guy said Steve Nash (NBA guard who's good at football) said it, and now this guy says it too. That World Cup is inferior to the CL, and he even went so far as to say inferior to EPL and La Liga (lol at La Liga).

After watching the club teams all year long, I can't say it's even close. The World Cup is the most entertaining and has the best overall talent.

So what do you guys think? I'll throw Euro Cup in there since Kurt had that discussion earlier too, and Serie A since this is, after all a Milan forum.
CHU-LIP
How do you define ''best''? World Cup is most important, most precious to win, if you wanna win one, it's World Cup. Which one is the hardest to win? Probably World Cup too. Which one got the most high quality matches? Probably Euro Cup beat World Cup in this. Anyway, I just going to vote for World Cup.
X-Offender
Your friend and Mourinho and Steve Nash and co. need a brainwash.

However, personally, I find the CL more entertaining for the simple reason that I don't support Italy or Germany as much as I support Milan. If Italy gets kicked out of the WC, I'm like "Oh well, whatever...". When Milan gets kicked out of the CL, I don't sleep for the whole week. biggrin.gif

But yeah, leaving that aspect aside, the WC is the most important football competition in the world.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Your friend and Mourinho and Steve Nash and co. need a brainwash.

However, personally, I find the CL more entertaining for the simple reason that I don't support Italy or Germany as much as I support Milan. If Italy gets kicked out of the WC, I'm like "Oh well, whatever...". When Milan gets kicked out of the CL, I don't sleep for the whole week. biggrin.gif

But yeah, leaving that aspect aside, the WC is the most important football competition in the world.

this is exactly me.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 08:07 PM) *

OMG, this is me too... I support Italy and Germany on World Cups and Euro Cups... but AC Milan in CL makes me most happy or sad... CL with Milan is awesome, but without CL is meh...
X-Offender
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 6 2010, 09:18 PM) *
OMG, this is me too... I support Italy and Germany on World Cups and Euro Cups... but AC Milan in CL makes me most happy or sad... CL with Milan is awesome, but without CL is meh...

Aye. 2008/2009 CL was probably the most boring one (for me). I don't remember anything about it except the final.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Aye. 2008/2009 CL was probably the most boring one (for me). I don't remember anything about it except the final.

I never have showed so little interest in a CL a whole season long like that year... I just didn't give a f...

Though, except for Chelsea - Barça...
servbot
I mean in terms of talent displayed and in terms of enjoyment to watch as a fan.

Good point about how much you support a side playing a big difference.
kurtsimonw
Depends what you mean by 'best'.

I enjoy watching the Euro's and Premier League more than the World Cup. But the World Cup is certainly bigger in terms of prestige. I don't really care for the CL in the slightest.
Fishdoll
I like the World Cup just in terms of pure competition. I think the CL has the highest quality football in general terms.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 6 2010, 11:06 PM) *
I don't really care for the CL in the slightest.

blink.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 6 2010, 10:35 PM) *
blink.gif

It hasn't been a respectable competition since it turned into groups and decided to let pretty much anyone in.
X-Offender
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 7 2010, 04:11 AM) *
It hasn't been a respectable competition since it turned into groups and decided to let pretty much anyone in.

How does that exactly make it unrespectable? I'd say the contrary, letting in the best clubs from every European country makes it a fair and square competition, even though the big names will always win. That's the law of every sport.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 7 2010, 03:36 AM) *
How does that exactly make it unrespectable? I'd say the contrary, letting in the best clubs from every European country makes it a fair and square competition, even though the big names will always win. That's the law of every sport.

But it isn't fair really.

Forcing the title winners of Cyprus through a qualifier where they'll be lucky to lose by less than 5-0 is hardly fair when the teams who finish 4th in some countries get in. Should go back to the old format - holders + league winners ony and a straight knockout. Seeding + group stage just plays into the big clubs hands too much, I don't like it.

Just my pesonal opinion anyway. I won't go out of my way to watch games or anything, other than Milans.
Zed.D
I agree that CL has more quality. that said, I prefer the World Cup to any other football competition.

EDIT: I voted World Cup because it's not just about quality (not that World Cup is very much behind CL in that respect).
Jack Sparrow
World Cup. There's no questioning that stake-wise and commitment-wise it means the most to the players.
kurtsimonw
I'd agree with that.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 7 2010, 12:02 PM) *
World Cup. There's no questioning that stake-wise and commitment-wise it means the most to the players.

Except for Totti.*

* He said before the 7-1 game against United that the fact of arriving at the CL semi-finals was more exciting than when he won the WC in 2006.
Fishdoll
Well, yes. But it's Totti, who brings new dimension to the term Primadonna.
X-Offender
Aye, can't agree more.
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jun 7 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Well, yes. But it's Totti, who brings new dimension to the term Primadonna.

... because he loves his club immensly and fact is that it's a far greater achievment for Roma to make a CL-semi than it is for Italy to win a world cup?
Jack Sparrow
I don't care. If your national identity means less to you than the city you represent, then there's something seriously wrong with your priorities in life.

What he means is that I'll take whatever gives me max credit. In the World Cup there were quite a few players who made Totti look average, while in Roma there's only him right? De Rossi can spit blood, but he'll still only get a 'Well done soldier!' and 'Your time will come!' kind of condescension.

rolleyes.gif
Locke Lamora
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 8 2010, 06:49 AM) *
I don't care. If your national identity means less to you than the city you represent, then there's something seriously wrong with your priorities in life.

What he means is that I'll take whatever gives me max credit. In the World Cup there were quite a few players who made Totti look average, while in Roma there's only him right? De Rossi can spit blood, but he'll still only get a 'Well done soldier!' and 'Your time will come!' kind of condescension.

rolleyes.gif

1. Unless I'm very much mistaken, Italy is a country where regional divides are still very strong, if I remember correctly Tennie expressed some rather candid reservations about Campanians, and I know for a fact that the feelings between south and north are quite venomous. So for a player who embodies his club and its city, I don't find it at all outrageous or even strange that taking that club to a level where they are punching far above their weight means more than winning a tournament this particular country are experts at winning.

2. I take you have inside information from Trigoria that I don't, then.

Jack Sparrow
That doesn't mean much. I mean Kurt is English..and he hates everyone who isn't from Birmingham. Hell, he even hates people within Birmingham. But he cheers for England like mad doesn't he?

No it's not inside info from Trigoria...just the general outlook of opinions I read on the net. A bit like Terry and Lampard. Terry is Mr. Chelsea, General of the Blue Army etc. while I for the life of me, can't figure out why Frank Lampard shoudn't be afforded equal status!
Fishdoll
The regional divide between north and south IS very strong in Italy (and anything south of Florence including Rome is considered 'south'). Just look at Berlusconi's erstwhile coalition partners, Lega Nord (who are a very very scary group) and the big fuss that was made about Marchisio's supposed reinterpretation of the national anthem -- I think the explanation that he was a few words behind and didn't actually say 'Roma ladrona' is probably accurate for what it's worth.

That said, Totti is in my opinion more 'Mr. Roma' because he's king of the fishbowl there and calls all the shots. He'd never get that with the Azzurri.
X-Offender
Totti is a tw@t anyway, so I'm not surprised.
kurtsimonw
It's a bit petty really. Fans and players should be able to put their diferences aside when it comes to their country. But obviously for a few people, like Wayne Bridge, they're a bit too self obsessed to do so.
Jack Sparrow
Oh yeah..that Bridge fellow. I used to like him too..till he pulled off those shenanigans!!
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 9 2010, 10:00 AM) *
Oh yeah..that Bridge fellow. I used to like him too..till he pulled off those shenanigans!!

I don't know what's sadder. The fact he went crying to the press about what his ex-girlfriend did, or turned his back on his country? Although, he did us a favour with the latter.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 8 2010, 09:42 PM) *
It's a bit petty really. Fans and players should be able to put their diferences aside when it comes to their country.

How? Does a person's personal problems pale in comparison to his national team's aspirations? 'Screw how you feel, we've a world cup to win'.
kurtsimonw
I don't really understand what you're asking, maybe it's the way you've worded it. But to answer what I think you mean.. you put things aside.

Anyways, on topic. I feel my opinion has been strengthened. Euro 2008 was one of the best tournements I've seen - despite England not even being there - where as this tournement has been dreadful so far.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 14 2010, 06:18 PM) *
where as this tournement has been dreadful so far.

yep, shame really, but not unexpected
Zed.D
There are dreadful games in every competition. I have seen dreadful games in CL as well, not least by my beloved Milan! besides, most people follow every World Cup game, even the normally unfancied ones like Cameroon-Japan, but not may people watch a CL game like Dynamo vs Rubin, if you get my point.

This is World Cup's 1st round, most of the teams are either being careful/cautious or not spending too much energy if it's not necessary to. I think it will get better in the next rounds and knockout stages.
kurtsimonw
The last WC group stage was fine, sane with the Euros.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.