Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gamberini's fourth frustration

m1ke
post May 8 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Fiorentina stopper Alessandro Gamberini claims that the Viola deserve to play in next season’s Champions League rather than Milan.

The Florentine outfit spent most of the season in fourth place, but were overtaken by the Rossoneri last weekend after a costly 2-1 defeat against strugglers Cagliari.

It came as a bitter blow with just two games remaining to try and turn things around and Gamberini feels that it is rough justice.

“From the way we have performed in the League this season, we deserve fourth place more than Milan,” he maintained.

“Unfortunately we have an extremely tough week or so, but at least we know that we had an excellent season overall.”

Fiorentina are also coming to terms with their heartbreaking UEFA Cup semi-final penalty shootout defeat against Rangers.

“We were all dreaming of the UEFA Cup Final and we would have deserved that too,” Gamberini continued.

“There is plenty of anger inside us, but this group of players knows how to react and we will do so again.”

The Gigliati will have to hope that Napoli do them a favour by taking points off Milan this weekend.

“I hope that Napoli trouble them, but to be honest we have to keep focused on our games,” Gamberini insisted.

“With the team that Milan have, I would have expected them to be challenging for the Scudetto, not fourth place.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

m1ke
post May 8 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Hah! Maybe Gamberini is confused by the way the points system works in a League competition.

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post May 8 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,499

Well I can understand his frustration..Fiorentina heve been fighting like heroes this season, and Milan have been a bit lucky last-minute goals etc...still, I'm very happy about how the battle for 4th place is turning out.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post May 8 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Primavera

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,265

I think we suffered from tough schedule as much as the Viola, if not much, much more! if they're sitting on the 5th place today, they only have themselves to blame.

+Quote Post

morgoth
post May 8 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #5

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 3,827

Gamberini is right la Fiorentina deserves to be in the CL more than we do considering the overall season, but Milan managed to earn points even when they weren't playing a good football, and maybe it's the main reason why we're ahead of them today, the difference between the two sides is definitely the experience. One should keep in mind that the race isn't over yet, and those two games aren't that simple for both teams.

+Quote Post

m1ke
post May 8 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #6

Administrator

QUOTE (morgoth @ May 8 2008, 12:23 PM)
Gamberini is right la Fiorentina deserves to be in the CL more than we do considering the overall season

Just curious as to why you think that?

If Milan end the season with more points than Fio, then considering our fixture schedule this season I think we more than deserve a CL spot! Granted, we were awful at times, but points don't lie!

+Quote Post

morgoth
post May 8 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Giovanissimi Regionali B

QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 01:45 PM)

If Milan end the season with more points than Fio, then considering our fixture schedule this season I think we more than deserve a CL spot! Granted, we were awful at times, but points don't lie!

I think that because I saw both teams play and I came to believe that they played a better football better than us this season.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post May 8 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #8

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

^^

Fiorentina were great this season, we were awful, so WE deserve the CL spot! hope you get what I mean (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

m1ke
post May 8 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #9

Administrator

I agree, Fio exceeded mine and most other peoples expectations this season. But.. if they finish with less points than Milan (considering the poor season we've had), they can't have done THAT well (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

morgoth
post May 8 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #10

Giovanissimi Regionali B

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ May 8 2008, 01:55 PM)
^^

Fiorentina were great this season, we were awful, so WE deserve the CL spot! hope you get what I mean (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Defining the merit is not an easy task anyway. But if I have to put my self in a Fiorentina fan's place, then I usually try to be objective ...

For a long time I thought not reaching the CL next season would be a blessing in disguise, and it would be the only way to really change our transfer philosophy. I just hope I was wrong.

QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 01:58 PM)
I agree, Fio exceeded mine and most other peoples expectations this season. But.. if they finish with less points than Milan (considering the poor season we've had), they can't have done THAT well (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Of course, only points count, no matter how good you play, how many stars you have in your squad or ball possession you got, it's all down to the points ... and in that matter Fiorentina dropped more than us so far.

This post has been edited by morgoth: May 8 2008, 02:06 PM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 8 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #11

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 12:45 PM)

Exactly. You deserve to finish wherever you finish.

I think getting into the latter stage sof the UEFA Cup hurt them.

+Quote Post

acid911
post May 8 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #12

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 8 2008, 08:07 PM)
Exactly. You deserve to finish wherever you finish.
I think getting into the latter stage sof the UEFA Cup hurt them.

You're right on both counts. But getting into the later stages of UEFA Cup hurt them as much as it hurt us playing in the Club World Cup - it took much of our attention even if for a couple of weeks, and it resulted in a loss of few precious points.

Of course, it takes nothing away from the fact that we've been crap most of the season. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post May 8 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #13

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 03:58 PM)

La Viola have been doing pretty well over the span of three years. They have a good squad and they have really pushed it in both Serie A and UEFA cup this season, problem was they are not experienced enough to manage both.

I mean, their exit from UEFA, it really took a lot out of them. Where as in Milan, a blow like that can be dealt with a lot better.

Bottom line, La Viola are a very good team. But IMO, Milan would handle the CL a lot better than La Viola

+Quote Post

dst
post May 8 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #14

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

Taking Milan out of the equation, if the Viola fail to reach 4th place I would be disappointed. Prandelli ( I have high hopes for him) mostly but his men too will let me down if that happens.

+Quote Post

Warchant
post May 8 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 703

if they're having trouble with playing UEFA and the regular season they won't even make it out of the group stages in the CL.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:49 PM