Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamberini's fourth frustration
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > News > Archive 07/08
m1ke
Fiorentina stopper Alessandro Gamberini claims that the Viola deserve to play in next season’s Champions League rather than Milan.

The Florentine outfit spent most of the season in fourth place, but were overtaken by the Rossoneri last weekend after a costly 2-1 defeat against strugglers Cagliari.

It came as a bitter blow with just two games remaining to try and turn things around and Gamberini feels that it is rough justice.

“From the way we have performed in the League this season, we deserve fourth place more than Milan,” he maintained.

“Unfortunately we have an extremely tough week or so, but at least we know that we had an excellent season overall.”

Fiorentina are also coming to terms with their heartbreaking UEFA Cup semi-final penalty shootout defeat against Rangers.

“We were all dreaming of the UEFA Cup Final and we would have deserved that too,” Gamberini continued.

“There is plenty of anger inside us, but this group of players knows how to react and we will do so again.”

The Gigliati will have to hope that Napoli do them a favour by taking points off Milan this weekend.

“I hope that Napoli trouble them, but to be honest we have to keep focused on our games,” Gamberini insisted.

“With the team that Milan have, I would have expected them to be challenging for the Scudetto, not fourth place.”
m1ke
Hah! Maybe Gamberini is confused by the way the points system works in a League competition.
Locke Lamora
Well I can understand his frustration..Fiorentina heve been fighting like heroes this season, and Milan have been a bit lucky last-minute goals etc...still, I'm very happy about how the battle for 4th place is turning out.
Zed.D
I think we suffered from tough schedule as much as the Viola, if not much, much more! if they're sitting on the 5th place today, they only have themselves to blame.
morgoth
Gamberini is right la Fiorentina deserves to be in the CL more than we do considering the overall season, but Milan managed to earn points even when they weren't playing a good football, and maybe it's the main reason why we're ahead of them today, the difference between the two sides is definitely the experience. One should keep in mind that the race isn't over yet, and those two games aren't that simple for both teams.
m1ke
QUOTE (morgoth @ May 8 2008, 12:23 PM)
Gamberini is right la Fiorentina deserves to be in the CL more than we do considering the overall season

Just curious as to why you think that?

If Milan end the season with more points than Fio, then considering our fixture schedule this season I think we more than deserve a CL spot! Granted, we were awful at times, but points don't lie!
morgoth
QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 01:45 PM)

If Milan end the season with more points than Fio, then considering our fixture schedule this season I think we more than deserve a CL spot! Granted, we were awful at times, but points don't lie!

I think that because I saw both teams play and I came to believe that they played a better football better than us this season.
Zed.D
^^

Fiorentina were great this season, we were awful, so WE deserve the CL spot! hope you get what I mean wink.gif
m1ke
I agree, Fio exceeded mine and most other peoples expectations this season. But.. if they finish with less points than Milan (considering the poor season we've had), they can't have done THAT well wink.gif
morgoth
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ May 8 2008, 01:55 PM)
^^

Fiorentina were great this season, we were awful, so WE deserve the CL spot! hope you get what I mean wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Defining the merit is not an easy task anyway. But if I have to put my self in a Fiorentina fan's place, then I usually try to be objective ...

For a long time I thought not reaching the CL next season would be a blessing in disguise, and it would be the only way to really change our transfer philosophy. I just hope I was wrong.

QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 01:58 PM)
I agree, Fio exceeded mine and most other peoples expectations this season. But.. if they finish with less points than Milan (considering the poor season we've had), they can't have done THAT well wink.gif

Of course, only points count, no matter how good you play, how many stars you have in your squad or ball possession you got, it's all down to the points ... and in that matter Fiorentina dropped more than us so far.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 12:45 PM)

Exactly. You deserve to finish wherever you finish.

I think getting into the latter stage sof the UEFA Cup hurt them.
acid911
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 8 2008, 08:07 PM)
Exactly. You deserve to finish wherever you finish.
I think getting into the latter stage sof the UEFA Cup hurt them.

You're right on both counts. But getting into the later stages of UEFA Cup hurt them as much as it hurt us playing in the Club World Cup - it took much of our attention even if for a couple of weeks, and it resulted in a loss of few precious points.

Of course, it takes nothing away from the fact that we've been crap most of the season. wink.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (m1ke @ May 8 2008, 03:58 PM)

La Viola have been doing pretty well over the span of three years. They have a good squad and they have really pushed it in both Serie A and UEFA cup this season, problem was they are not experienced enough to manage both.

I mean, their exit from UEFA, it really took a lot out of them. Where as in Milan, a blow like that can be dealt with a lot better.

Bottom line, La Viola are a very good team. But IMO, Milan would handle the CL a lot better than La Viola
dst
Taking Milan out of the equation, if the Viola fail to reach 4th place I would be disappointed. Prandelli ( I have high hopes for him) mostly but his men too will let me down if that happens.
Warchant
if they're having trouble with playing UEFA and the regular season they won't even make it out of the group stages in the CL.
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Warchant @ May 8 2008, 04:42 PM)
if they're having trouble with playing UEFA and the regular season they won't even make it out of the group stages in the CL.

I disagree. It's not who you're playing, it's just tiredness catching up with you.
morgoth
Guys, you must keep in mind that even if they don't have a big chance of going far in the CL, it doesn't mean they don't even have to play it and let another club who has best chances to go in their place! If they don't play it they'll never have the experience needed to win it one day, how do you think a club like Lyon for example managed to be feared in europe? By playing the CL a year after another they developed and learned to do well in the competition. If it was down to whom is going to represent the best the country in europe, then there is no point in fighting for the 4 first places, just pick up the best clubs and send them in the CL!!!
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Warchant @ May 8 2008, 10:42 AM)

exactly. +1
kurtsimonw
Doesn't the UEFA Cup have as many games as the CL? So I fail to see why it would make a difference. Also, the CL group stages are at the start of the season where they wouldn't be tired, so.. unsure.gif
acid911
QUOTE (morgoth @ May 8 2008, 09:58 PM)
Guys, you must keep in mind that even if they don't have a big chance of going far in the CL, it doesn't mean they don't even have to play it and let another club who has best chances to go in their place! If they don't play it they'll never have the experience needed to win it one day, how do you think a club like Lyon for example managed to be feared in europe? By playing the CL a year after another they developed and learned to do well in the competition. If it was down to whom is going to represent the best the country in europe, then there is no point in fighting for the 4 first places, just pick up the best clubs and send them in the CL!!!

Very good post. This is how Milan learned to compete in Europe. In the 50s and 60s and even after, even though we were a decent team, we were far from the powerhouse we're now in UEFA. smile.gif Likewise, if any other club beats us to fourth, they'll have earned it, irrespective of the fact that Milan being in the Champions League translates to more money.
han2503
Well you do have to feel sorry for Fiorentina on some level, they did have a better season then us over all and maybe they do shade us in their performance of the league, and with wath happened to them after calciopoli.

But as a Milan fan I'm just happy we got that spot, no matter who we had to go over to get to it
Warchant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 8 2008, 01:15 PM)
Doesn't the UEFA Cup have as many games as the CL? So I fail to see why it would make a difference. Also, the CL group stages are at the start of the season where they wouldn't be tired, so.. unsure.gif

that's exactly my point...CL is close to the same amount of games but with MUCH higher competition. i could only imagine what place they'd be in if they had to focus on those caliber of teams.

top teams do well in Europe and can focus on the league at the same time.

milan only needs to feel a few key holes and they'll be right back in there...fiorentina, imo, have a lot of holes to feel before they would be successful in both.

not that we've done an outstanding job of that either, but like m1ke said, if you have more points at the end of the season then you've done something right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.