Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Onyewu
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Players > Past Players
Pages: 1, 2
CHU-LIP
If we can sell Onweyu for 3+ mio then it's a must do IMO... (of course trying to get as most as possible)

but... the sooner he's gone, the better I'd say biggrin.gif (as in seasons, not in days lol)
TheOgre
Come on he's never been givin a real chance. Saying he can play fine and sometimes great against top international teams but can't play against serie a teams? I'm trying to forget him being in no mans land on the gerrard goal and give him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't played all year and his execptional play after that especially when crouch came out. I think with a real chance he'll be a good backup and good size to our backline
X-Offender
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 14 2010, 03:40 PM) *
If we can sell Onweyu for 3+ mio then it's a must do IMO... (of course trying to get as most as possible)

but... the sooner he's gone, the better I'd say biggrin.gif (as in seasons, not in days lol)

CHU-LIP, you're my best pal. I love you. wub.gif
MizNelson
All I keep hearing about as of late is how we should be selling our players. Now the latest is people wanting to dump Gooch after one season. C'mon, he's willing to play with us for free next season, for God's sake.

I swear, I think if some of you guys ran the club we wouldn't have anyone left.
X-Offender
QUOTE (MizNelson @ Jun 15 2010, 02:21 AM) *
All I keep hearing about as of late is how we should be selling our players.

That's the starting point. If we don't get rid of all the unnecessity in our team we ain't going anywhere. We took a step in the right direction by not renewing the contracts for Dida and Favalli. Now if we could offload Onyewu, Kaladze, Oddo and Jankulovski we'd be doing ourselves a major favor.
Fishdoll
I don't think we should offload Onyewu just yet. He didn't really have a chance to show what he can do with the squad. yes, the performance v. Zurich was ugly but he had practically no time with the squad before that. Give him a season before totally writing him off.
servbot
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 14 2010, 08:01 PM) *
That's the starting point. If we don't get rid of all the unnecessity in our team we ain't going anywhere. We took a step in the right direction by not renewing the contracts for Dida and Favalli. Now if we could offload Onyewu, Kaladze, Oddo and Jankulovski we'd be doing ourselves a major favor.

Onyewu was hardly an unnecessity. Had he been healthy we could have really used him at times this past year. What did he play - 25 minutes? Imagine if we only gave Borriello 25 minutes to prove himself!
Warchant
wouldn't sell him for anything

come on guys...give us yanks a break tongue.gif

all bias aside...i think he could really help this team if given the chance. we haven't had a defender like him since Stam. and no...i'm not saying he's as good as Stam was, but we've needed a big, strong defender for a few years now.
arivanjj
he reminds me of Stam, lets keep him biggrin.gif
Jack Sparrow
I don't care if he's not Stam. We need people like him. This is exactly the kind of depth we need to build up. Every team needs a muscle man. And he's paying a year without pay. I say use him!

CHU-LIP
What is the use of a Stam copy if he can't read the game? Anticipation, positioning, etc. all most important things for a defender, he ain't got it...

If he won't mark his man well, you got jack about his height.
Jack Sparrow
I still think since you and his other detractors dislike him, you're falling into the trap (as we all do) of taking one mistake and showing it up as an example of his incompetence.

I can remember in my head three goals (don't remember who scored) where Maldini is at fault in marking, or giving the player space. Yet I wouldn't question the man's marking or positioning sense.

I remember the Gerrard goal. I also remember the remaining 80 minutes where the entire England offence was pretty much put on a leash. They kept coming at the US...and well the game finally ended. Gooch was my pick of the US defence.
X-Offender
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 15 2010, 12:47 PM) *
What is the use of a Stam copy if he can't read the game? Anticipation, positioning, etc. all most important things for a defender, he ain't got it...

If he won't mark his man well, you got jack about his height.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 15 2010, 01:50 PM) *
I still think since you and his other detractors dislike him, you're falling into the trap (as we all do) of taking one mistake and showing it up as an example of his incompetence.

I can remember in my head three goals (don't remember who scored) where Maldini is at fault in marking, or giving the player space. Yet I wouldn't question the man's marking or positioning sense.

I remember the Gerrard goal. I also remember the remaining 80 minutes where the entire England offence was pretty much put on a leash. They kept coming at the US...and well the game finally ended. Gooch was my pick of the US defence.

Why does everyone keep mentioning only Gerrard's goal? That was only one of the many f@ck-ups he committed in that match.
Fishdoll
I think perhaps we're being a little harsh on the guy who we haven't really seen given a chance for the club. Let him have a few games and if he really sucks after that then I'll pack his bags myself.
Dracoris
Why don't you mention one of his mistakes then? You seem to keep talking about them but can never actually name an instance....
CHU-LIP
The thing is. If we want Milan to do well, we can't give every bad player a fair chance. Someone you sign should deserve a shot, but as long as we sign awful players like Onweyu, Mancini, etc. then we surely do something wrong. sad.gif This kind of players I don't want to see here, I want them out asap!
X-Offender
QUOTE (Dracoris @ Jun 15 2010, 04:19 PM) *
Why don't you mention one of his mistakes then? You seem to keep talking about them but can never actually name an instance....

CHU-LIP already mentioned it. His positioning and anticipation skills are awful. Re-watch the England-USA game, and count all the poor offside choices and marking mistakes he committed in the first half. The guy has no sense of orientation, and for a defender that is fatal.
Danny
QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jun 15 2010, 03:57 PM) *
CHU-LIP already mentioned it. His positioning and anticipation skills are awful. Re-watch the England-USA game, and count all the poor offside choices and marking mistakes he committed in the first half. The guy has no sense of orientation, and for a defender that is fatal.

Does it occur that he's lacking match practise? After all he was excellent in the Confeds during a time he was a regular for Standard Liege - since going to Milan he's barely played at all for various reasons.

I am willing to give him a chance seeing as so few others are.
X-Offender
Great. Let's also give a chance to Blasi and Zebina whilst we're at it.
CHU-LIP
We should also give Roma a fair shot being our first goalkeeper and not only Storari and Abbiati. tongue.gif
Danny
You two are very cynical.
servbot
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jun 15 2010, 11:38 AM) *
We should also give Roma a fair shot being our first goalkeeper and not only Storari and Abbiati. tongue.gif

Nobody is advocating starting Onyewu over Nesta and Silva. Now you're just being silly.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (servbot @ Jun 15 2010, 04:59 PM) *
Nobody is advocating starting Onyewu over Nesta and Silva. Now you're just being silly.

I know, I'm sorry.
samira
Why sell him when he hasn't even prove how good he really is ?
Warchant
Onyewu rejects loan offers, wants to stay at Milan

AMSTERDAM – Fresh off World Cup duty, US defender Oguchi Onyewu is busy swatting away loan offers with the intention of establishing himself in season two with AC Milan.

The 28-year-old was limited to just a lone Champions League substitute appearance with the Rossoneri after suffering a knee injury against CONCACAF World Cup qualifying foe Costa Rica last October.

Onyewu arrived to San Siro as a free signing away from Standard Liège, and recently extended his contract through 2013 by offering to play the added year for free to make up for the season lost to injury.

"There's a lot of interest in Gooch on a loan basis," Onyewu rep Lyle Yorks told MLSsoccer.com. "There's interest from a big club in Scotland and other clubs in Spain."

Italian papers have claimed Chievo is a loan suitor and the agent confirmed Turkish reports that Eskişehirspor has been courting Onyewu -- but warns not to believe everything you read.

"Some of them are rumors, some of them are legit," stated Yorks of the various reports. "At this point, his intention to return to AC Milan. There's been a lot of requests for Gooch. They've all been dismissed. He wants to go back to AC Milan."
X-Offender
For the sake of our team, I really hope he doesn't come back.
vahid
He officially joins FC Twente.
http://www.fctwente.nl/
X-Offender
Another dud out of the way. smile.gif
William405
Are we getting the money of his wage? biggrin.gif

I think it doesn't matter,since we weren't paying him anyway.
X-Offender
He wore the #5 jersey, of the mythical Costacurta!
Fillipo Simone
Really? Unbelivable. First Billy, then Emerson, and finally Onyewu.
Fillipo Simone
So, he returns from Twente. I guess we'll have to find him another, less ambitious team. With Mexes in and Yepes as a quality 4th choice, I'd say we could easily part ways with him and Bonera.
X-Offender
No, we should keep Bonera as fifth choice. He probably won't have much play time, but he's someone who could turn useful in cases of emergency.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 27 2011, 11:47 PM) *
No, we should keep Bonera as fifth choice. He probably won't have much play time, but he's someone who could turn useful in cases of emergency.

Useful? You realize Allegri is bound to use him as LB or RB if he stays? I'm shocked to read these words from you.
X-Offender
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 27 2011, 11:51 PM) *
Useful? You realize Allegri is bound to use him as LB or RB if he stays? I'm shocked to read these words from you.

He'll use him as RB or LB only if it's absolutely necessary. Like I said, in cases of emergency. Besides, we need to have at least five defenders if we're going to compete on all fronts next season.
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 27 2011, 11:59 PM) *
He'll use him as RB or LB only if it's absolutely necessary. Like I said, in cases of emergency. Besides, we need to have at least five defenders if we're going to compete on all fronts next season.

That's true. I've somehow forgot we've lost Sokratis. Yes, as a fifth choice, Bonera is solid, even though I rate this man below any other Milan player.
acid911
And to think this guy had potential. sad.gif There was a time when I had high hopes for Bonera, the age where Paolo and Nesta roamed our goal area. And he showed it too, he showed it. It just went downhill, just like Antonini.
X-Offender
He doesn't put enough determination in his performances. He has a very laid back attitude, unlike someone who doesn't play always and wants to show his value to the coach.
acid911
Yeah, pretty much. sleep.gif Most of it is his own doing, if he had drive and motivation, we could have been looking at our backup CB, a player who the team would have called for in the hour of need. Instead, we are stuck with someone way down the pecking order. Or packing order, another way to put it.

I really do hope we pack both him and Ants out (to clubs who can use them), and promote some younger defenders!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.