Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 18/09/07 - UCL - AC Milan vs. Benfica
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
misha
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 18 2007, 12:10 AM)
Sh!t, this is less than 24 hours away, I had not realized that!  rolleyes.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif The greatest competition in the continent (besides Eurovision!  tongue.gif  ) starts again!!  smile.gif

It's about f@cking time smile.gif Can't wait!! cool.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 17 2007, 11:57 PM)
It means "Moreover, I recommend (or it is my opinion)"; it is the belief that Cato began all his speeches in the roman senate with that phrase (in original - Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam) to emphasize the importance of this matter (in Cato's case it was the Carthagian danger to Rome)...

...now I bored you with history,.. tongue.gif

Not at all, I like history cool.gif but never heard about Cato and his opening phrases before. tongue.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 18 2007, 01:40 AM)
Sh!t, this is less than 24 hours away, I had not realized that!  rolleyes.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif The greatest competition in the continent (besides Eurovision!  tongue.gif  ) starts again!!  smile.gif

QUOTE (mishale @ Sep 18 2007, 01:44 AM)
It's about f@cking time smile.gif  Can't wait!! cool.gif

I see excitement all over the place! devil.gif devilsmiley.gif

I hope it doesn't turn into disappointment after our first match! rolleyes.gif
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Sep 17 2007, 11:34 PM)
I see excitement all over the place!  devil.gif  devilsmiley.gif

I hope it doesn't turn into disappointment after our first match!  rolleyes.gif

Hmh, when did the CL dissapoint us last time?
misha
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 18 2007, 12:37 AM)
Hmh, when did the CL dissapoint us last time?

Marcus Merk mad.gif
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (whoarethepatriots @ Sep 17 2007, 01:07 PM)
Adu is an AM anyway right? while Petit is a DM

Portugal, am i right?

kastouranis plays DM but i belive he has a more attacking role with benfica so i guess he'll replace petit's role and which open up a spot for adu in the midfield.
Tennie
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Sep 17 2007, 07:04 PM)
kastouranis plays DM but i belive he has a more attacking role with benfica so i guess he'll replace petit's role and which open up a spot for adu in the midfield.

Er. If you look to the call ups that Porty posted on page two, you'll see that Adu was not called up.wink.gif

I agree that Katsouranis is most likely going to slot into the DM place.
dst
QUOTE (mishale @ Sep 18 2007, 01:40 AM)
Marcus Merk mad.gif

It was blatantly obvious inequity but I'm over it already cause I know we wouldn't have a chance if the game had been taken to extra time. Not with "Old No. 5" and Kala at the back!
misha
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 18 2007, 01:10 AM)
It was blatantly obvious inequity but I'm over it already cause I know we wouldn't have a chance if the game had been taken to extra time. Not with "Old No. 5" and Kala at the back!

You never know. Barca would have gotten forward more after that goal and that would give us more spaces to attack and maybe to surprise them. But because of that SOB we lost that opportunity.
Tennie
Programming Note:

For those in North America, ESPN Deportes will be showing the match on tape delay starting at 4:45pm EST.
arivanjj
Rino trusts in Milan mentality

Milan midfield dynamo Gennaro Gattuso believes that Milan’s secret weapon for success in Europe lies in the spirit in the dressing room.

The Rossoneri start their defence of the European throne against Benfica at the San Siro on Tuesday evening.

After having to settle for a point against Siena last weekend there is a feeling in the peninsula that the Diavolo may struggle against the Portuguese giants, but Gattuso tells a different story.

“The key lies in the dressing room and that’s no big secret,” he told Spanish newspaper El Pais.

“When you see someone like Paolo Maldini who at 39-years-old can play in a Champions League Final and give blood, sweat and tears to the caiuse you’d be an idiot not to see how he is an inspiration. cry.gif

“Then there’s Clarence Seedorf who has won four Champions League titles with three different sides, but I saw him cry with the emotion of winning last year’s semi-final against Manchester United. cry.gif

“We are the kind of club that finds motivation in the hardest times and has winning in our DNA, Silvio Berlusconi has seen to that.” cry.gif

As for his own role, the ex-Rangers man was typically modest as he described the pugnacious spirit that has defined his career.

“At times I look at my feet and curse them as they never gave me any joy,” he chuckled. “I’m always telling Carlo Ancelotti to imagine what I’d be like if I had silky skills – we wouldn’t have space for the trophies! laugh.gif

“There are players like Kaka who are born as stars and then men like me who have to build a career from endless passion.” wub.gif

Andrea Pirlo is set to overcome injury problems to feature against Benfica, but Ronaldo’s absence limits the attacking options to just Alberto Gilardino and Pippo Inzaghi. dry.gif

Milan squad: Dida, Kalac; Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Nesta, Oddo, Simic; Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Emerson, Gourcuff, Kaka, Pirlo, Seedorf; Gilardino, Inzaghi

Channel4
Jack Sparrow
Damn...that was a good read!! Thanks ari! cool.gif
han2503
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 17 2007, 10:10 PM)
Sh!t, this is less than 24 hours away, I had not realized that!  rolleyes.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif The greatest competition in the continent (besides Eurovision! tongue.gif  ) starts again!!  smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

You've got that right tongue.gif tongue.gif
Tennie
Hey, don't diss Eurovision! It's good entertainment! (I liked the Orcs from...Norway was it?...of a couple of years ago).

Anyway, this morning's Gazzetta reports that Pirlo has recovered from the slight injury to his calf and will start.

[La rifinitura di stamattina conferma il recupero del centrocampista dopo una botta rimediata in Nazionale.]

They also say it'll be the same lineup that took to the pitch against Sevilla.

[Stasera contro i portoghesi, giocherà quindi la stessa formazione che ha vinto la Supercoppa Europea contro il Siviglia]

So....Dida; Oddo Nesta Kaladze Jankulovski; Gattuso Pirlo Ambrosini; Kaka Seedorf; Pippo.

link
Rossoneri7
A bit of history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwsfwSGp_F4
dst
Our (only) best players will play! The winning XI of 2007!! I don't wanna take a look at the bench though...

Forza Milan!! king.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 18 2007, 10:14 PM)
Our (only) best players will play! The winning XI of 2007!! I don't wanna take a look at the bench though...

Forza Milan!! king.gif

that includes Kaladze? biggrin.gif
dst
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Sep 18 2007, 03:34 PM)
that includes Kaladze? biggrin.gif

Oops!! Sh!t... Maldini is always on my mind and constantly connected with our European victories that I though was gonna play tonight! Idiot!

Kaladze is good enough... when he hits the ball! rolleyes.gif
Rossoneri7
7 hrs till kick off ... The journey to Moscow is about to start devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif
arivanjj
QUOTE (dst @ Sep 18 2007, 10:47 PM)
Oops!! Sh!t... Maldini is always on my mind and constantly connected with our European victories that I though was gonna play tonight! Idiot!

Kaladze is good enough... when he hits the ball! rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
han2503
Anybody know if there will be any live streams for this one?
misha
QUOTE (han2503 @ Sep 18 2007, 04:56 PM)
Anybody know if there will be any live streams for this one?

Try: http://www.myp2p.eu/Matches/Match4.htm or http://www.livefooty.doctor-serv.com/
misha
Carletto issues Final demand

Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti has set his sights on reaching the Champions League Final as the Rossoneri’s European defence kicks off tonight.

The Diavolo take on Benfica at the San Siro looking to put last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Siena behind them and pick up where they left off in Athens last May.

It seems that Anceotti is likely to field the same 11 that triumphed in the European Super Cup against Sevilla with the biggest doubt over midfield star Andrea Pirlo.

“Pirlo hasn’t been training because of a calf problem,” Ancelotti admitted. “If he doesn’t make it, Emerson or Cristian Brocchi will take his place.

“Everyone else is fully fit and there are no problems with Kaka’s knee. As I have said in the past, the attack doesn’t depend on the names or the number of strikers, but rather we rely on going forward at pace.

“The Champions League is one of our most important ojectives alongside the Club World Championship. There’s a unique feel to the tournament.”

Ancelotti must first negotiate Scottish giants Celtic - who took Milan to extra-time in last year’s last 16 – and Cristiano Lucarelli’s Shakhtar Donetsk as well as Benfica, but he won’t accept anything less than a place in Moscow’s Final.

“It’s difficult to repeat your success in this tournament, but we want to get to the Final. We haven’t started well in Serie A, but we haven’t been able to get going yet.”

One familiar face in the opposition ranks is Manuel Rui Costa, who left the San Siro last summer to finish his career in Lisbon.

“Benfica are a side with a great tradition and an attacking style.

"Rui Costa deserves a mention alone as he was a great servant at Milan and the fact that he is playing at this level at his age is testimony to his professionalism.”

AC Milan - SL Benfica: A Historical Look

With tonight’s Champions League fixture pitting current champions AC Milan against SL Benfica, Goal.com rewinds seventeen to give readers a chance to revisit the last two times these two European greats vied for European Cup silverware…

There are a glittering total of nine pieces of prime European silverware shared between AC Milan and SL Benfica (two of which were decided in the head-to-head Finals we revisit here): the two European greats who will meet in the group stage of the Champions League 2007-8 for the first time at the San Siro stadium in Milan. 

The last time they met in Champions League action – and, in fact the only time; the other two clashes being under the European Cup format – was back in 1995 in the quarter final stage with a 2-0 win for the Rossoneri in Milan and a 0-0 stalemate at Lisbon’s da Luz, although AC Milan went down against Ajax in the eventual Final.

There’ll therefore be a slight frisson of déjà vu at San Siro as the current holders meet SL Benfica head on, although instead of the final game being played by the reigning champions it’ll be a curtain-raiser to yet another Rossoneri defence of the most prestigious piece of club silverware in the world. 

Back in 1990 the win over Benfica brought the fourth trophy back to Milan; on Tuesday the Rossoneri will start aiming for their eighth.  Although AC Milan are ranked first and SL Benfica are only seventeenth on the list in 2008, back in 1990 the roles were reversed with – surprisingly enough – AC Milan ranked twenty-third and SL Benfica ranked fourth according to the UEFA stats of the day.

1963 Wembley: AC Milan 2-1 SL Benfica

The old pre-World Cup Wembley Stadium was the scene for the first showdown between the Italians and the Portuguese and – at that time – there was one clear favourite: SL Benfica.  The stats reflected the yawning chasm between the two sides clearly: Benfica rated third and AC Milan way down in twenty-ninth place.

The Águias (Eagles) were two-time winners of the European Cup having done a Spanish double-tap by downing Barcelona and Real Madrid in 1961 and 1962. Eusébio was the established star striker but underdogs AC Milan had Gianni Rivera, and in London he proved to be decisive under the command of a Rossoneri legend: Cesare Maldini.

Paolo’s father blazed the trail which his son has followed so successfully, creating a wall in conjunction with Giovanni Trapattoni that held the brunt of the Benfica blows that were expected to rip the Italians to shreds.  Aided and abetted by Mario David they parried most thrusts, but still they couldn’t hold the Black Panther and Eusébio (19 min) put Benfica ahead.

It was time for the Golden Boy to shine as Rivera set Italo-Brazilian striker Altafini (58 min) up for the equaliser, then did it again and Altafini (68 min) beat Pereira on his second attempt to net his fourteenth goal – a European Cup record then and the start of a long legacy of warm Brazilian links with AC Milan – and send the jug-eared trophy back to Italy for the very first time in history.

AC MILAN (2): Giorgio Ghezzi, Mario David, Cesare Maldini, Benitez, Mario Trebbi, Dino Sani, Trapattoni, Gino Pivatelli, José Altafini, Gianni Rivera, Bruno Mora

Coach: Nereo Rocco 

SL BENFICA (1): Costa Pereira, Domiciano Cávem, Raúl Machado, Fernando Cruz, Humberto Fernandes, Mário Coluna, José Augusto, Joaquim Santana, José Torres, Eusébio, António Simões

Coach: Fernando Riera

1990 Vienna: AC Milan 2-1 SL Benfica

The most recent decisive European date was May the 23rd, 1990 and the venue was the Ernst Happel Stadium, then known as the Praterstadion, Austria’s largest football stadium and no stranger to Italian and Portuguese teams.  In fact all four of the European Cup Finals to have been hosted at the Happel have had Italian or Portuguese Finalists – or both.

Back in 1964 AC Milan’s Nerazzurri nemesis Inter Milan beat Real Madrid 3-1 in Vienna a year after AC Milan won their first European Cup against the odds at Wembley, then over two decades later the 1987 European Cup final witnessed FC Porto down Bayern München 2-1; the Dragões claiming their first Cup in Austria.

Three years after that the 1990 European Cup final was won by AC Milan with a slim 1-0 victory over Benfica, although the Rossoneri experienced the flip five years later as Van Gaal’s Ajax beat AC Milan by the same margin – ironically enough after the aforementioned quarter-final clash between the Italians and Portuguese.

1990 can be considered a vintage year for Italian football. The World Cup was hosted – although West Germany won, the Azzurri did manage a reasonable third place – and European club competition was dominated by Italian clubs.  The UEFA Cup was hoisted by Juventus, the Cup Winners' Cup headed by Sampdoria, while AC Milan kept the European Cup they had won in 1989 with a 4-0 trouncing of Red Star Bucharest.

AC Milan has experienced a rocky ride to the Final with two nail-biting classifications being won in extra time and with away goals giving a helping hand and Ruud Gullit had only just come back from a long injury lay-off, and started off the Final with a far different approach than the year before when they had laid waste to Red Star Bucharest.

With their double Dutch strike force – Marco van Basten and Gullit – failing to break through it was left to a supporting actor to break through with a ripping run upfield that slit Benfica in half. Costacurta slapped the ball up to Van Basten, who provided a masterful touch that put the racing Rijkaard (68 min) through to beat Silvino Louro with his right outstep.

AC MILAN (1): G. Galii, Tassotti, Baresi, Costacurta, Paolo Maldini, Colombo (F.Galii), Franklin Rijkaard, Evani, Carlo Ancelotti (Massaro), Ruud Gullit, Marco Van Basten

Coach: Arrigo Sacchi

SL BENFICA (0): Silvino Louro, José Carlos, Ricardo Gomes, Aldair, Samuel Quina, Vitor Paneira (Vata Garcia), Hernâni Neves, Jonas Thern, Jaime Pacheco (Cesar Brito), Valdo, Mats Magnusson

Coach: Sven-Göran Eriksson

Berlusconi: I Want Real Or Barca In The Final

Milan President Silvio Berlusconi has revealed that he is looking forward to another successful Champions League campaign and hopes to meet Real Madrid or Barcelona in Moscow next May.

The Rossoneri begin the defence of their European crown tonight as Portuguese giants Benfica travel to San Siro. Milan’s other opponents in Group D are Scottish champions Celtic and Ukrainian outfit Shakhtar Donetsk. 

“I hope tonight will be the first step towards another final. Milan always aim to be victorious in every competition. A dream final would be against a great team like Barcelona or Real Madrid,” said Berlusconi. 

“It would even be great to face Inter. I offer my best wishes to Massimo Moratti that we may arrive with them in the final, as I know he has poured so much love and dedication into the club.”  rolleyes.gif 

Berlusconi also offered his support to under-fire striker Alberto Gilardino. So much was expected of Gila when he arrived for £18m in 2005, however the ex-Parma man has been largely disappointing and has scored just twice in two Champions League campaigns. 

“I have already called Gilardino to tell him that we are all behind him. He has been unlucky lately but he has great quality and is an important part of the future of Milan,” Berlusconi concluded.
han2503
QUOTE (mishale @ Sep 18 2007, 03:28 PM)

Thanks misha king.gif
fresh_prince7
So whats everyone predicting for this one?

I think we might come out and play some champagne football.

Milan 3-0 Benfica

Hopefully rui doesn't spoil the party.

FORZA BOYS! Lets get back on track.
Jack Sparrow
Darn it I'm nervous. Where' s the booze when you need it?? wink.gif

I'd love it for us to really dominate, play some good looking football. Somehow, our league performances usually pick up depending on how confidently we are doing in Europe.

2 things I'm worried about...

1. Pushing Pirlo before he's fully fit.
2. Gila in Europe. rolleyes.gif

Dida and Kala have made their blooper for the month...I hope, and will be solid this once.

C'mon Gila...for the love of Saint Ambroeus....come on!!! cry.gif
fresh_prince7
I know what you mean mate, but for me this is the least nervous bit. When we get to the knock out stage thats when it begins.

Can't wait for this, especially since I get to rarely see any milan games live.

I think we'll get 3 points anyway jack, which is all that matters.

Bit over a hour to go.
KillerMax
A bit off-topic, but fresh_prince7's sig makes Pato look like a blowfish.
Jack Sparrow
A bit off-topic, but fresh_prince7's sig makes Pato look like a blowfish.

Just a bit, an infinitesimal bit. I mean a blowfish in a sig has a lot of connections with today's match. laugh.gif wink.gif
KillerMax
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 18 2007, 11:26 AM)
Just a bit, an infinitesimal bit. I mean a blowfish in a sig has a lot of connections with today's match. laugh.gif wink.gif

Just a while ago you were all nervous^, now you are laughing and having a good time. wink.gif
KillerMax
When is the game starting by the way?
bigmacmtl
gila is going to score, i'm sure of it
KillerMax
QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Sep 18 2007, 11:37 AM)

I don't think he is going to play. Maybe the last 10 minutes.
misha
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Sep 18 2007, 07:35 PM)
When is the game starting by the way?

In one hour freak.gif
Don't put any money on it wink.gif
armiss
MILAN-BENFICA: LE FORMAZIONI UFFICIALI
18/09/2007

MILAN: Dida; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Jankulovski; Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Kakà, Seedorf; Inzaghi.happy.gif happy.gif happy.gif

BENFICA: Quim; Luis Filipe, Edcarlos, Katsouranis, Leo; Rui Costa, Maxim Pereira, Cristian Rodriguez, Di Maria; Miguel Vitor, Cardozo
KillerMax
Milan lineup:

Benfica lineup:

armiss
4-3-2-1
fresh_prince7
Geeez come back and people abusing my sig. tongue.gif

Getting close now, anyone do the uefa fantasy team, any tips for dominant players in this rd. I could use a ps3.
mishie
is it me or does the bench look really short of options?
Gila the only attacking player, 2 def midfielders 3 defenders and a goalkeeper! ohmy.gif
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (mishie @ Sep 18 2007, 01:36 PM)
Gila the only attacking player, 2 def midfielders 3 defenders and a goalkeeper! ohmy.gif

yep it does dry.gif
han2503
QUOTE (mishie @ Sep 18 2007, 06:36 PM)

Unfortunately that's what happens when you only make 2 transfers in the summer and one of them can't even play until January rolleyes.gif

btw isn't Yoann on the bench? I haven't seen the call up list just the official line-up
misha
About to start.

FORZA MILAN!!
kurtsimonw
Ambro with a good chance arriving late in the box, miss-hit the volley.
misha
Oddo crossed well but Ambro failed to finish
kurtsimonw
PIRLO!!!! 1-0!!!!
misha
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PIRLO 1:0
han2503
OHH Ambro close
mishie
gggggggggooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
han2503
HAHA Damn my stream is behind I haven't gotten to the goal
bigmacmtl
prilo!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.