Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [CL] Champions League 07/08
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Zed.D
I don't know... we'll find out if it's B/S or not very soon... but I noticed he looked really really pissed off towards the end of the match...

What a centenary gift they got from Liverpool tonight... that's was pleasing..!
Portman
QUOTE (redbabies @ Mar 11 2008, 09:48 PM)
Ibra? he's great against Parma, Siena, or Livorno ...... but he's a BIG MATCH FLOP!

Torres is something else! If Liver wins ch.l. this season Torres will be Kaka's heir in Ballon d'Or.

Big match flop. Tell me in how many big matches did Kaka' perform? Against the reserve-defense of Man Utd last semis?

Kaka' against Inter and Juve was non-existent in the past 2 years. Same for Liverpool against Mascherano.
Same against Roma although I hope he proves me wrong next weekend.
He was class against the likes of AEK...

Torres is totally different from Ibrahimovic. But both are world-class.
Tennie
Here's the quote in Italian:

"I prossimi due mesi e mezzo saranno gli ultimi alla guida dell'Inter - ha annunciato il tecnico ai giornalisti al termine della partita con i Reds -. L'ho già detto ai ragazzi ed è giusto renderlo noto a tutti. E' una decisione che avevo già preso e non dipende dalla sconfitta di stasera"

["The next two and a half months will be my last in charge of Inter - the coach announced to journalists after the game against the Reds - I've already told the lads and it's right to let everyone know. It's a decision I'd already taken and it doesn't depend on tonight's defeat."]

link
jefri91
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 11 2008, 10:43 PM)

Big match flop. Tell me in how many big matches did Kaka' perform? Against the reserve-defense of Man Utd last semis?

Kaka' against Inter and Juve was non-existent in the past 2 years. Same for Liverpool against Mascherano.

cmon.... we both know kaka is not a match flopper look at what he did against every single team last season, look at what he did against boca juniors.

Kaka has class, ibra just sucks
Zed.D
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 12 2008, 02:13 AM)

I really like you man, and I know you're pissed off about tonight's Zlatan, but your remarks about Kaka is NONSENSE.
Zed.D
How on earth can you call Kaka a big match flop Porty cry.gif just how?!! after all he has done for Milan... sleep.gif
dst
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 12 2008, 12:43 AM)

No matter what you say Ibra chokes in the CL. And this is not objective, he proves it every single season... Is Skrtel any better than the United subs? I don't think so... Even so, it was a CL semifinal and if it was so easy then more world-class players would do it. Also, until the day Ibra does something similar I'm going to believe he cannot do something similar...

Kaka against Inter and Juve is always being kicked around and earning 2 or more yellows... of course he cannot shine under such circumstances and it's easy to block him down by isolating the only forward we've played with in these games (which is supereasy). Ibra has done better in these games but Kaka did not flop. At least that's what I believe.

As for the game against Liverpool... no player from either team managed to do anything special. Even so, Kaka still managed to win the free-kick from which our first goal came and also made a perfect through ball for Pippo for the second which was the most brilliant thing in the whole game.

Of course Ibra and Torres are both world-class. I think Ibra does other stuff other than scoring goals too. But I cannot remember a big game from him in the CL (against a great opponent).
Portman
I do remember a good match vs. Inter from Capello's Juve in San Siro where Zlatan scored and played a nice match.

Inter lost I think. It was in San Siro. wink.gif
redbabies
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 11 2008, 11:43 PM)

I cant believe you're comparing Kaka with him dry.gif

Kaka hasn't been in good form this seson, but as far as last season is concerned he was brilliant and dont make me repeat his outstanding performances against big teams.

As for matches against Italian teams, Kaka did score against both Inter and Juve before and played great matches.

As for against Liverpool, of course you couldn't wait from him in a ch.l. final to go and be that outstanding especially against a defensive Liverpool team, but still at the end of the day he was decisive (he won the free-kick and he made the assist, enogh for a final right?)

KAKA is class against anyone when he's fit, and sadly thats smth we've been missing lately because of all the kick and injuries he has suffered.
dst
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 12 2008, 01:10 AM)
I do remember a good match vs. Inter from Capello's Juve in San Siro where Zlatan scored and played a nice match.

Inter lost I think. It was in San Siro.  wink.gif

That was in Serie A!!? I'm talking CL... he has done real great against us too as an Inter player but it must be a mental thing or something in the CL...

Anyway I don't see where all this came from, I don't think he was so bad tonight especially considering the way Inter played as a whole...
redbabies
QUOTE (dst @ Mar 12 2008, 12:07 AM)
No matter what you say Ibra chokes in the CL. And this is not objective, he proves it every single season... Is Skrtel any better than the United subs? I don't think so... Even so, it was a CL semifinal and if it was so easy then more world-class players would do it. Also, until the day Ibra does something similar I'm going to believe he cannot do something similar...

Kaka against Inter and Juve is always being kicked around and earning 2 or more yellows... of course he cannot shine under such circumstances and it's easy to block him down by isolating the only forward we've played with in these games (which is supereasy). Ibra has done better in these games but Kaka did not flop. At least that's what I believe.

As for the game against Liverpool... no player from either team managed to do anything special. Even so, Kaka still managed to win the free-kick from which our first goal came and also made a perfect through ball for Pippo for the second which was the most brilliant thing in the whole game.

Of course Ibra and Torres are both world-class. I think Ibra does other stuff other than scoring goals too. But I cannot remember a big game from him in the CL (against a great opponent).

basically, I have the same words.
Portman
How can someone say "Kaka' is class, Ibra sucks" ?

FFS guys. Let's put this straight: Ibrahimovic is the best player in Italy at the moment. He might have a cnut attitude but he's miles away from any other player.
Did he choke in CL big clashes? Yes. Thouh he was their best player tonight along with Zanetti.

Kaka' is having a poor moment. Not even against Flamini...
Tennie
I think Ibrahimovic is one of the best players in Italy at present. I don't think he's head and shoulders above the rest because of the knee injury - without that, I think Porty'd have a stronger argument. He really is quite gifted, even with the lousy attitude and playing for the evil soulless side in Milan.
dst
QUOTE (Porty @ Mar 12 2008, 01:27 AM)
How can someone say "Kaka' is class, Ibra sucks" ?

FFS guys. Let's put this straight: Ibrahimovic is the best player in Italy at the moment. He might have a cnut attitude but he's miles away from any other player.
Did he choke in CL big clashes? Yes. Thouh he was their best player tonight along with Zanetti.

Kaka' is having a poor moment. Not even against Flamini...

That's just the truth! biggrin.gif No really, Ibra certainly does not suck.

Best player in Italy at the moment? No way... he's not even in form. Even when he was in form he was not miles away from the competition. He was certainly the best in Italy last season though. Júlio César is the best in this one in my opinion.

Well Flamini easily stopped CR too earlier this season. He is not as bad as you're trying so hard to believe... tongue.gif he's just French and ugly... laugh.gif
kurtsimonw
A greak game from Liverpool tonight, they countered superbly all game long, and once they got the goal it was all over. 4 English teams in the QFs, hopefully they can all avoid each other. Then I just hope for a United vs Liverpool final!
KillerMax
Inter play in the Champions League like Milan do in Serie A. biggrin.gif Except of course they have been like that for FAR FAR longer than us. We will win the Scudetto next season. sleepysmiley03.gif
fresh_prince7
Blog: Milan's Torres loss
Fernando Torres left Milan, rather than Inter, red faced in the Champions League. Antonio Labbate explains why

Despite Inter’s Champions League exit, there must surely have been more than an ounce of regret amongst the Milanista faction of Italian society on Tuesday night. Sure, their eternal rivals had been dumped out of Europe yet again, but it was the fact that Fernando Torres played such a key role in Liverpool’s 3-0 aggregate win which should see certain questions being asked of the Diavolo hierarchy.

It’s no secret that El Nino was a player who Milan had seriously looked at in the past. The story goes that Rossoneri stalwart Demetrio Albertini first alerted the San Siro giants to Torres in 2002 after his own switch to the youngster’s previous club, Atletico Madrid. The Spaniard was just a kid at the time, 18 to be exact, but Albertini had played alongside enough talent throughout his career to spot a star in the making.

The former Italian international, despite being rudely shown the door by a club he adored, suggested that Torres would be an excellent investment for the future. However, Milan failed to make a concrete move. Even during transfer negotiations between the two clubs over other players, Torres never arrived at San Siro. It looks to be a costly mistake.

Torres joined Liverpool last summer for £21.5m. Big money? No, a snip really when you consider that Milan handed over £15m plus the £3m-rated Johann Vogel to Real Betis for Ricardo Oliveira in 2006. While the latter is back in Spain with Real Zaragoza, Fernando is delivering goals and performances which turn good players into great ones.

In the two clashes against Inter, Torres left his mark. He got Marco Materazzi sent off in the first leg and then struck the killer blow at San Siro in the return. And while Milan’s own Champions League campaign came to a lacklustre ending against Arsenal last week, Torres’ European Cup adventure continues.

The Rossoneri have clearly invested wisely in the past by gambling on Kaka and, in all probability, Alexandre Pato, but there must surely be a touch of remorse about the one who got away. To some fans, Torres’ goal against the Nerazzurri will still make him a Rossoneri idol. The problem is that he became one wearing the red of Liverpool rather than their own mythical jersey.
misha
^^^ Yep, we should have signed him. There were rumors about him and Milan for years. Now the only chance to see him here is when he'll be about 30.
Jack Sparrow
This was a hilarious read from Roberto Gotta on Soccernet. Inter fans are something else...though I suppose it's there everywhere. biggrin.gif

Inter fans curse their luck

Everyone belonging to the posh quarters of the Fourth Estate should, once, watch an important football match within earshot of the home fans. Or, on second thought, it shouldn't. The experience can be wildy exhilarating, veering from the ridiculous to the sublime in the blink of an eye, ascending to the heights and plunging to the depths of what, basically, attending a football match entails.

On Tuesday, at the San Siro or Meazza in Milan, your humble correspondent did just that. Not on purpose, mind you. The extraordinary number of Press credential requests for Inter v Liverpool meant that, as for other Champions League matches in the same venue, some of the media had to sit in the overflow section. Among the fans, that is, which has a tendency to create a whole new atmosphere.

In short, not often have I heard as much swearing as I did on Tuesday. And that was towards Inter players within a few minutes of kick-off, not against the red-clad visitors playing their cat-and-mouse game on the pitch. Boy, what an international, cosmopolitan way to learn new swear words. And what a confirmation of that old cliché about how we Italians make up with creativity and ingenuity what we lack in industry. Although the swearing went on for so long it did require some lung strength.

On the subject of body parts, considering Inter had little left in their legs even in the first half, which should make the remaining of the Serie A season much more interesting than I thought, the tale of the game might well be enriched by the soundtrack of the high-pitched, gravel-voiced, hoarse-voiced, angry, bilious fans.

Their cause severely undermined by the result from the first leg, and with an emergency situation in central defence as their top three choices were out either by suspension or injury, Inter had an even harder task than a side trying to recover from a 0-2 result should. Coach Roberto Mancini could not risk leaving his central defenders, Cristian Chivu ('*******', as one of his own fans dubbed him before five minutes had passed) and the pompously nicknamed 'Tyson' Rivas, exposed to Fernando Torres' speed, so he had no choice but to use dependable utility man Esteban Cambiasso ('you square-footed idiot') in his customary position patrolling the space in front of them.

With Liverpool closing down space in their very organized manner, Inter had no avenues left, not with Vieira ('you slow *******!') on his last legs and Zanetti ('pass the ball once, you ****', but still a lot of respect for the hard-running captain) ohmy.gif struggling to find breathing room. Inter never got into a flow except for a stretch of the first half when good use of the flanks meant they created a couple of half chances, the best one as Julio Cruz ('you ******* misfiring Argie!') shot just wide of the far post on a great through ball by Zlatan Ibrahimovic ('booo!').

In another instance, a brilliant, reaction back-heel by Cruz ('do the simple thing, you &%$£!!!') brought an athletic save by Pepe Reina, but Liverpool kept pressing and defending as a unit, forcing Inter to resort to increasingly desperate attempts by Zanetti to go past his man, only to find another red jersey blocking his path, while Vieira ('...', ok, you get it) seemed to spend ages bringing the ball under control, thus allowing opponents to close him down quickly.

Inter's cause was not helped by Dejan Stankovic ('you useless piece of ***!')having a less than impressive outing in his position just behind Ibrahimovic and Cruz, where he was supposed, no, make it expected, to draw defenders out of position and pull Liverpool's defence apart, but the discipline Rafa Benitez's men displayed in the middle of the pitch meant Stankovic was forced to roam for space, and this deprived him of yet another facet of his effectiveness, as - you've guessed it - yet another visiting player would pop up there, too.

Further abuse was heaped on Mancini when he failed to take Stankovic off after the interval, but while Figo (sorry, not insults for him, he was barely seen from the stands) was completing his warm-up and preparing to go in Nicolàs Burdisso ('you empty-brained nobody!') got himself sent-off with a silly second yellow card, which did not go down too well with Mancini, who complained of a double-standard (actually, he said 'triple') as hacking from behind had been punished at Anfield - two Inter players were booked within 15 minutes there - while that was not the case at the Meazza on four occasions in the first half.

Any lingering criticism of the ref ('you fat, tanned, bald *****') was quickly forgotten, though, when Mancini memorably asked for a moment's attention from the Italian media ('the English media probably don't care about this') and announced his resignation, effective at the end of the season. He then left, the equivalent of lighting a fuse then leaving the room and wait outside for the blast.

What left everybody stunned was not the content of Mancini's statement, as he'd been rumoured to be on his way out at the end of the season, but the nonchalant manner of the announcement, which obviously evoked a collective frenzy of phone-calls, text messages and hand gestures, all meaning the same: 'Hold the back page'. In the Italian sports dailies world this actually means the first, second and perhaps third pages. And given the circumstances under which the announcement came, you could just picture Inter fans on their way home adding just another little icing on the cake of a swear word, perhaps thinking ahead to the effect Mancini's resignation will have on his players in the next two months of the Serie A.

Of course, this whole story is not meant as a criticism of Inter fans, who on the whole supported their side with vigour, were already in good voice a couple of hours before kick-off and even found the strength to let out one of their customary cheers as the curtains came down on yet another European season for them. I have seen enough matches to know this could have happened, on the night, anywhere in Italy.

But as I nudged a colleague sitting next to me, who was unprepared for such a stream of abuse erupting around him and tried unsuccessfully to change seats midway through the first half, a thought occured: if this is the abuse, or more like pent-up frustration, fans of the best side in Italy express towards their own players, what kind of language would you hear during a relegation six-pointer?
jefri91
when is the CL draw? i cant find the time on goalzz.com
jefri91
thanks for the help, you guys are great
Ry4n
QUOTE (jefri91 @ Mar 14 2008, 10:53 AM)
thanks for the help, you guys are great

13:00 CET , in 30 mins
m1ke
I really miss the excitment of these draws sad.gif
Darunia
ik! it's 7 am here, and i'm watching the draw live, I didnt want to be up this early but my roommate woke me up (damn him

WOW ARSENAL - LIVERPOOL
Tennie
Ack for safety. Roma - Man U.

Schalke - Barca
Fenerbahce - Chelsea
Darunia
Go Reds!

Arsenal play Liverpool 3 straight games.

Chelsea and Barca easy draws.
arivanjj
nice... poor Roma. Chelsea and Barca get it easy dry.gif
arivanjj
SEMI FINALS:

Arsenal - Liverpool vs Fenerbahce - Chelsea

Schalke - Barca vs Roma - Man U.
Darunia
Arsenal/Liverpool vs. Chelsea Semifinal

Man Utd/Roma vs. Barca Semifinal

It'd be funny if Chelsea lost to Liverpool again tongue.gif
LaPalma
Bye bye Schalke.....

Hope Roma can make up for last years disaster.
Zed.D
Barca... what can I say?... lucky bitches mad.gif

Hehe... Arsenal stand no chance this time. Liverpool will go through. as for the rest I think Man Utd and Chelsea's qualification is a certainty.

The final? Barca/Man Utd. VS Liverpool.
Darunia
My predictions:

Arsenal - LIVERPOOL

CHELSEA - Fenerbache

MAN UTD - Roma

Schalke - BARCELONA

Semis:

CHELSEA - Liverpool (for once)

BARCELONA - Man Utd

Final:

BARCELONA - Chelsea
Zed.D
Why's everyone giving Chelsea so much credit? they won't make it to the final imo. not when there's Liverpool in their way!
dst
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Mar 14 2008, 02:17 PM)
SEMI FINALS:

Arsenal - Liverpool vs Fenerbahce - Chelsea

Schalke - Barca vs Roma - Man U.

So how does this go? It's first leg at home for the teams on the left for the QF's and the opposite for the semis?

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Mar 14 2008, 03:09 PM)
Why's everyone giving Chelsea so much credit? they won't make it to the final imo. not when there's Liverpool in their way!

They can't always be so lucky... Go Chelsea!

The teams I'd like to seen win the cup in order: Roma > Arsenal > Barcelona > Chelsea > United. I don't want Pool to win it. And United is the very very last choice.
Tennie
You know, everyone's discounting Fenerbahce. They're hardly favourites but I've been rather impressed with them. Chelsea may not find it that easy of a tie -- especially the away leg in Istanbul.
dst
Hope Arsenal will beat the stupid Scousers. Torres doesn't stand a chance against Kolo but they need van Persie back in order to break down Pool's anti-football set-up.

QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 14 2008, 03:48 PM)
You know, everyone's discounting Fenerbahce. They're hardly favourites but I've been rather impressed with them. Chelsea may not find it that easy of a tie -- especially the away leg in Istanbul.

Easy or not I don't think Chelsea will be eliminated.
kurtsimonw
Chelsea vs Liverpool & Barca vs United for the semi's.
Liverpool will knock Chelsea out at this stage AGAIN, United to beat Barca.
Finally, the all English final.
dst
The final will be Roma vs Arsenal! cool.gif
misha
You are giving Liverpool too much credit. They won't even make it to the semis this year.

Arsenal - Chelsea

Barca - Roma
Ry4n
Roma - Arsenal ,

Arsenal because they knocked us out and i dont want just any team to knock us out , i want a team that can actually go on to win it. Barca knocked out us out in 05/06 cry.gif then they went on to win it.
whoarethepatriots
Fate has not been too kind to Roma, still i believe they can beat Manchester
KillerMax
QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 14 2008, 07:48 AM)

Their defense is the problem. Otherwise, they would have a better chance. Volkan is worst than Dida when it comes to making mistakes and he surely will have his hands full against the likes of Lumpard and Drogba.
bigmacmtl
QUOTE (mishale @ Mar 14 2008, 10:25 AM)
You are giving Liverpool too much credit. They won't even make it to the semis this year.

Arsenal - Chelsea

Barca - Roma

same predictions for me

with a chelsea/roma final 96.gif
weeeow
FORZA ROMA!!!!!! devil.gif
Portman
My semi's prediction:

Liverpool - Chelsea
Barcelona - Man Utd
Bluesummers
OFFICAL:

LIVERPOOL-ARSENAL
BARCA-SHALKE
FENERBACHE-CHELSEA
MAN UNITED - ROMA
Zed.D
I'm surprised how you people underestimate Liverpool. you can mark my words...

Liverpool will knock Arsenal OUT!

QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Mar 14 2008, 09:10 PM)
OFFICAL:
LIVERPOOL-ARSENAL
BARCA-SHALKE
FENERBACHE-CHELSEA
MAN UNITED - ROMA

biggrin.gif We know... wink.gif
kurtsimonw
I think some people are over-estimating Roma. If they get within 2 goals of United over the 2 legs, I'll be surprised.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Mar 14 2008, 01:15 PM)
I'm surprised how you people underestimate Liverpool. you can mark my words...

Liverpool will knock Arsenal OUT!
biggrin.gif We know...  wink.gif

wub.gif i know you know!
Portman

Rick Parry's shirt > *.

And yes. Liverpool will be in the semis.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.