Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [EN] Premier League 10/11
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
kurtsimonw
Former EPL Champions
92/93 Manchester United
93/94 Manchester United
94/95 Blackburn Rovers
95/96 Manchester United
96/97 Manchester United
97/98 Arsenal
98/99 Manchester United
99/00 Manchester United
00/01 Manchester United
01/02 Arsenal
02/03 Manchester United
03/04 Arsenal
04/05 Chelsea
05/06 Chelsea
06/07 Manchester United
07/08 Manchester United
08/09 Manchester United
09/10 Chelsea

Holders
Premier League: Chelsea
FA Cup: Chelsea
League Cup: Manchester United
Charity Shield: Chelsea

European Entries

Champions League
Chelsea
Manchester United
Arsenal
Tottenham

Europa League
Man City
Villa
Liverpool

EPL 20010/11 team list
Arsenal, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United Stoke City, Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwhich Albion, West Ham United, Wigan Athletic, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Hopefully this season can be as good as last years. Title decided on the last day, final relegation place decided on last day and most of the European places too. I'll refrain from pointing out that we were robbed of the double and just hope and pray that Phil Dowd, Howard Webb and Mark Halsey never step foot in Villa Park ever again.

Been quiet on the transfer front again with only Man City (surprise, surprise) making big signings in the form of David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng.

Season just 4 weeks away..
Jack Sparrow
All hail the mighty Toon! smoke.gif
kurtsimonw
Jol to become new Fulham Manager?

Would be a great replacement for Hodgson.

In incredibly egotistical, sad, pathetic news Manchester City no longer have a reserve squad, it's now called the 'Elite Squad'. rolleyes.gif
Linkman
I wonder if they'll try to field 11 strikers tongue.gif
kurtsimonw
Joe Cole to Liverpool

He isn't half the player he used to be, but still a decent enough signing.
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jul 19 2010, 04:11 PM) *
Joe Cole to Liverpool

He isn't half the player he used to be, but still a decent enough signing.

Overrated, incredibly overrated.

I've heard a few Liverpool fans and it sounds like they've signed C.Ronaldo/Messi or someone like that in fact this is a guy who couldn't get a start in the England team in this World Cup. Even when he came on was so out of his depth it was unreal. I remember watching him play against Slovenia and he was all over the place, even when he was on the ball he'd give it away. Also remember him coming on in the CL for Chelsea against Inter last season and when he came on Inter had a lot more joy down that wing, due to the lack of work rate running back.

He had a good season at Chelsea a few years back but it got hyped up so much because he was English that it was meant to be incredible, when in reality it was no better than Malouda's this season.

I think people just like his stepovers perhaps, this guy was built up to be the next big thing for English football and is an average top league player - at best.

On a free, I guess you can't argue. I'd have more hope for Babel than this guy though.
kurtsimonw
I had a feeling you'd comment on this. biggrin.gif

I think on his day he's superb, but he seems to have spent an awful lot of time injured the past few years which is exactly what Liverpool don't need.

=============================================================================

Premier League 'home grown' rule

A step in the right direction, well done to the FA.

*To qualify as 'home grown' a player must have been registered for 3 seasons before his 21st birthday (nationality is irrelevant).
*A squad of 25 players must be registered the day after the summer transfer window closes (before this date, any players can be used).
*8 of the 25 must be 'home grown'. If you cannot acheive 8 'home grown' players, you can have less, but it also reduces your squad (if you only have 7 HG players, you can only have a squad of 24, etc.)
* During the winter transfer window, squads can change the players that are registered as many times as they like, but a 25 man squad must be finalised when the window is closed.

There's still flaws because I don't think 8 out of 25 is enough, but it's a start and they're trying to do the right thing at least. If teams like Man City insist on buying foreigners then they'll either have a very small squad or have to register some youth players.

Oh, and I think Milner's price tag just went up again.
kurtsimonw
Milner Wants Out

It's going to be the Barry thing all over again.

One benefit of having MON in charge is that he's stubborn, he didn't change his valuation of Barry when Liverpool refused to pay £18m, so I can't see him doing the same here. The longer City take to pay up the £30m, it'll be their loss. European football starts soon and if we play Milner, he won't be able to play for City in Europe.
Jack Sparrow
Ha Milner!! Like I didn't see that coming.... rolleyes.gif
kurtsimonw
I thought Ashley would be gone first personally.

I think every other club must be braindead or something. He's been the best left winger in the league for years and only Fabregas has got more assists over the past few seasons.. yet even Fabio overlooked him for England? Very odd.
kurtsimonw
Portsmouth's current squad:

Goalkeepers

Defenders
4 Aaron Mokoena
7 Hermann Hriedarsson
26 Tal Ben Haim
35 Marc Wilson
40 Joel Ward

Midfielders
6 Hayden Mullins
11 Michael Brown
22 Richard Hughes
23 Kevin-Prince Boateng
41 Matt Ritchie

Forwards
10 David Nugent
17 John Utaka
19 Danny Webber
20 Tommy Smith

I want to feel sorry for them, but they knew what they were getting into when they bought back Harry Redknapp as manager.
Fishdoll
I know it was only a preseason friendly and that it was almost entirely the reserve squad but I feel it is not inappropriate to mock Chelsea today.

FT Wycombe 5-1 Chelsea.

Hah.
CHU-LIP
No goalkeepers in their squad? huh.gif
Bluesummers
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Jul 29 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I know it was only a preseason friendly and that it was almost entirely the reserve squad but I feel it is not inappropriate to mock Chelsea today.

FT Wycombe 5-1 Chelsea.

Hah.

don't worry, we'll see that score line on the 25th of august too. wink.gif
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Jul 29 2010, 11:33 PM) *
No goalkeepers in their squad? huh.gif

Most of their players were on short contracts/loans due to their financial troubles, so now they have hardly anyone left.The players they have left are too good to be relegated, but they might struggle if a few more left.
Fishdoll
So, this fish suspects the hairdryer will be coming out in the MU dressing room. Apparently, Wayne Rooney went out for a night on the town...until 5.30 am, and was seen singing in the street, relieving himself against a wall, and smoking. One imagines that Ferguson isn't going to be happy.

link
Jack Sparrow
Kicked boot + Rooney to Madrid. Lol!
Habitant
MONTREAL -- A Canadian-based Syrian businessman leading a consortium to buy the storied Liverpool soccer team says he is looking to not only build the troubled club but the British city as well.

Yahya Kirdi, who was born in Syria but came to Canada eight years ago, told The Canadian Press he has ambitious plans if he takes over the Premier League club.

"I want to build Liverpool," he said Wednesday from his home near Montreal.

The economic impact for the port city best known for spawning the Beatles in the 1960s would likely be most strongly felt because of a proposed stadium that is a key part of the deal being negotiated by Kirdi and his group.

"I have a new plan which I have given (Liverpool co-owner) George Gillett," Kirdi said of the stadium.

"This one is not only a stadium but also a stadium and hotel, five star, and shopping centre."

The facility would also include a solarium to generate solar power, which would be provided to Liverpudlians.

He said he has already been in contact with French and Swiss companies that have built stadiums in the Middle East.

"Everybody who wants to come into Liverpool wants to take the money and go outside," Kirdi said, adding he wants to help the community.

Tom Hicks and former Montreal Canadiens owner George Gillett Jr. put the soccer club on the auction block in April after being squeezed by banks over the team's debt of C$386.5 million (237 million pounds).

Kirdi was born in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo in 1966 and played soccer for hometown clubs Al-Itihad and Al-Oruba in the 1980s as well as the national youth team.

He represents a group of investors from the Middle East and Canada and says he has been trying to secure the deal for the last five months.

The consortium could face competition from Chinese investor Kenny Huang, chairman of the Hong Kong-based investment company QSL Sports, who issued a statement Wednesday expressing his interest in the club.

"Mr. Huang would like to emphasize that he has registered interest in investing in Liverpool FC but has made no formal bid," his Hong Kong representatives said.

Huang is co-chairman of both the National Basketball League of China and the Chinese Baseball League.

Martin Broughton, who was brought in as Liverpool chairman to oversee the sale process, said he hopes a buyer for the club can be found before the transfer window closes Aug. 31.

Kirdi announced in a statement Wednesday that his group is in "advanced negotiations" with Hicks and Gillett to buy them out.

"Agreement has been reached on all major terms including the purchase price, repayment of the existing bank debt from RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) and Wells Fargo and financing of a new stadium in Liverpool's Stanley Park," the statement said. "A formal purchase agreement between the parties is in the final stage of negotiation."

But according to the Guardian newspaper, Kirdi made similar claims earlier this year and had previously been dismissed as a serious bidder by the club.

Kirdi, who also oversees investments in Europe and North America, pledged to invest in the squad, which dropped from Premier League runner-up to seventh place last season -- denying them a spot in this season's Champions League.

"Liverpool is a massive football club with passionate and proud fans in Merseyside and in every part of the world," Kirdi said. "With additional money to improve the squad and financing in place to build the new stadium, LFC will be on a solid foundation to compete in the Premiership and in Europe for years to come."

He was reluctant to criticize the current owners in the interview, calling them "friends." But he allowed they may not have understood soccer that well, adding he believes it may have hurt that the owners weren't more involved.

"The owners, you have to follow the team every day," he said.

While Liverpool's Premier League campaign begins against Arsenal on Aug. 15, the five-time European champions host Rabotnicki on Thursday in the Europa League's third qualifying round, leading 2-0 from the first leg.

"I can only hope if the club changes hands it goes to a group of people who have the club's fortune and future at heart and that they will do the right thing by the club," Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson said. "If a new owner comes in it is very important he makes clear to the supporters of this club, a worldwide institution, that they are buying it for the right reasons."

Kirdi, who says he has worked as a senior consultant with AIG in the Middle East, is still active in soccer as a coach and has many contacts through his playing days and work with FIFA, the sport's governing board.

He declined to discuss many other personal details, particularly about his family, citing privacy, but he has been active on the business front, recently negotiating to buy six CRJ1000 aircraft from Bombardier.

The list price for each of the 100-passenger jets is $43.95 million.

Kirdi says his efforts to generate business is his way of giving back to his adopted country.

"I want to give something good for Canada, to return what they give me -- good health, good security. They give me everything."

He says he chose Canada because he felt at home here.

"I've visited all the world, believe me. North, south, Africa, Europe, the United States, Middle East -- I like Canada in general and Quebec especially.

"When my airplane arrived at the Montreal airport, I opened my heart because this is my country."

---

-TSN
Fishdoll
Thanks for the interesting article, Habitant!

The lack of public information about this group of investors would make this fish worried if he were a fan of the dirtyrottenscousers.
Habitant
i'm hoping they buy them and ruin them some more mouhahaha

just found it funny to have a canadian connection with the owners of liverpool again.
Milan Are Brilliant
So MON has left, where's Kurt?! I can only imagine he's resigned because of the transfer dealings perhaps a Milner sale done above his head?

BBC Sport - Martin O'Neill resigns as Aston Villa manager

Martin O'Neill has resigned as Aston Villa manager with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald has been appointed caretaker boss while no reason has been given for O'Neill's decision to leave after four years in the job.

MacDonald will prepare the side for their Premier League opener against West Ham on Saturday.

O'Neill, appointed in 2006, said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club."

O'Neill, who led Villa to their third successive sixth-placed finish in the Premier League last season and also to the final of the Carling Cup, added: "I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager.

"I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."
Fishdoll
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif WTF? Why? Where's he going?
Milan Are Brilliant
QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Aug 9 2010, 04:47 PM) *
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif WTF? Why? Where's he going?

I'm sure it's something to do with the transfer dealings. I can only but speculate though, I'm sure Kurt will have a more informed opinion when he comes on.
MizNelson
Here's an English-language version of the Rooney story. Sounds like something he would do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...o=feeds-newsxml
kurtsimonw
QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Aug 9 2010, 04:59 PM) *
I'm sure it's something to do with the transfer dealings. I can only but speculate though, I'm sure Kurt will have a more informed opinion when he comes on.

As far as I'm aware it's to do with Milner. From what it seems he named a price for Milner and didn't want to sell until that price was met. I'm assuming that due to the delay on the deal, we've decided to accept a lower price or something, which MON isn't pleased about.

Dark day indeed. Only manager in our entire history to improve our points tally for 4 straight seasons. All the best MON.
Danny
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 9 2010, 05:43 PM) *
As far as I'm aware it's to do with Milner. From what it seems he named a price for Milner and didn't want to sell until that price was met. I'm assuming that due to the delay on the deal, we've decided to accept a lower price or something, which MON isn't pleased about.

Dark day indeed. Only manager in our entire history to improve our points tally for 4 straight seasons. All the best MON.

Very very good manager, and I suspect your club will suffer badly now.
kurtsimonw
If Jol replaces him I'll be happy.

A few Villa fans are happy as they've never liked him. At least I'll be able to point out how stupid they are when we go backwards.
Bluesummers
I heard also its because you guys are selling young as well, and he was not in agreement to taht.

Oh well though, thats how the cookie crumbles. Either your the gaffer or your the b*tch. I guess we know the choice MON picked.
CHU-LIP
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 9 2010, 07:45 PM) *
If Jol replaces him I'll be happy.

A few Villa fans are happy as they've never liked him. At least I'll be able to point out how stupid they are when we go backwards.

I don't see Jol joining Aston Villa [or any other club] this summer/year.
Jack Sparrow
I read it's because he was told the Milner purchase money wouldn't go back into the club. Also read that MoN has spent around 120 million on transfers and got only about 39 recouped through sales. Seems Villa is the third largest spender in the last 5 years behind Man City and Spurs.

Supposedly Lerner was a bit displeased about this..that with all these purchases the top 4 wasn't being cracked. So he asked MoN to work with what he's got. Since players like Sidwell, Shorey, Davies etc. were not being used as much as their potential dictated.

I imagine, Bob Bradley and Eriksson are in the frame for the job.
kurtsimonw
Can't agree there Jack. Shorey and Sidwell were signed for small amounts, just squad players. Davies played alot a season ago, but dislocated his shoulder twice last season so hat to sit it out after sugery.

As for competing. Arsenal are always going to finish above us, they've a great manager. United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and City have all spent more in the MON era, so in theory we should be finishing 7th. MON has shown he buys well by finishing above 7th 3 straight seasons.

If Randy expected top 4 with being the 6th/7th biggest spenders since he took over, he's either in a dream world or an idiot. Martin was right to walk.
servbot
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 10 2010, 06:36 AM) *
I imagine, Bob Bradley and Eriksson are in the frame for the job.

You're smart.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...and&cc=5901

Bradley, fresh from leading the United States to the second round at the World Cup finals, is yet to commit his future to the national side.

He has been installed as the Bookies' favourite to replace O'Neill, who quit the club on Monday just five days before the start of the new season. With American Randy Lerner holding the purse strings at Villa Park, Bradley was immediately linked with the vacant post.

Sven-Goran Eriksson would also be interested in the job, according to sources close to the former England coach: "Of course, Sven would be interested in this job. He has always said that he would like to go back into the Premier League. It is a big target for him.''

Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 10 2010, 09:11 PM) *
Can't agree there Jack. Shorey and Sidwell were signed for small amounts, just squad players. Davies played alot a season ago, but dislocated his shoulder twice last season so hat to sit it out after sugery.

As for competing. Arsenal are always going to finish above us, they've a great manager. United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and City have all spent more in the MON era, so in theory we should be finishing 7th. MON has shown he buys well by finishing above 7th 3 straight seasons.

If Randy expected top 4 with being the 6th/7th biggest spenders since he took over, he's either in a dream world or an idiot. Martin was right to walk.

I dunno. Maybe you're right. The article I read stated that Villa were third largest spenders in the EPL behind City and Spurs. I think this was in the last 5 years. I'm inclined to believe it.
kurtsimonw
Nah, since MON took over were 6th, behind the obvious teams except Arsenal. It's been done to boredom on the Villa forum. Anyways, still no proof as to why he actually left.

If Sven or Bradley takeover I suspect Mr. Lerner won't be a fan favourite much longer.
Dracoris
Please take Bradley. He makes good substitutions, but its subs he shouldn't have had to make in the first place. (i.e. Ricardo Clark vs. Ghana)
Bluesummers
LOL the US Federation will not let bradley leave that easily. They will double his salary if need be. He's the first coach that the United States has created that is actually tactically adept and can win games. He's not some youth coach that got up through the ranks due to politics and that is why they won't let him go that easily. If he goes, they are in trouble.

But we'll see, if villa offer a good deal, 1 or 2m; he might decline us offer.
kurtsimonw
The won't let him leave easily? I have no idea what the score was last night, but based on the US tv I watch the general idea was that if they lost to the Brazil reserves then he'd get the sack.
Fishdoll
THere was talk on ESPN during the world cup that his contract might not be renewed and last night during the game, there was again talk that it might be his last game for the NT.
servbot
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 11 2010, 02:19 AM) *
LOL the US Federation will not let bradley leave that easily. They will double his salary if need be. He's the first coach that the United States has created that is actually tactically adept and can win games. He's not some youth coach that got up through the ranks due to politics and that is why they won't let him go that easily. If he goes, they are in trouble.

I've never understood why the USSF doesn't just go out and hire a good European coach like other teams do. FFS, even England has a foreign coach, it's not a big deal.
Bluesummers
QUOTE (servbot @ Aug 11 2010, 09:44 AM) *
I've never understood why the USSF doesn't just go out and hire a good European coach like other teams do. FFS, even England has a foreign coach, it's not a big deal.

1) Prices. 500k for bradley vs 6-8m for capello.

2) North American Culture. Sad to say but very few european coaches would be able to just come to north america and start bringing success, culture is different.

3) People's mentality. They way players have grown through the systems, what they are taught and what they believe; they are all very different from european players.

I was at the international coaching conference in Philly in January and we had coaches come from all over the world to do demos and teach the coaches who attended their philosophies.

Anyways, there was a coach from dynamo Zagreb there. It took him an entire 20 min to get his group to even function and do what he wanted. and when they wouldn't listen he would flip out, something normal in europe. Players open up and work harder. Here, players close up and shut you out. They quit trying and just don't care.

Out of the 10k people who sat their and watched his 1.5 hour session, only 200 were left by the time the session ended. He was absolutely shocking.

Its easier for NA coaches to go to europe because we are taught both styles, while they are only taught their own.

-------

But you never know, we'll see. Soccer has changed and the USA has gotten a whole lot better. Things might be different.

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 11 2010, 07:20 AM) *
The won't let him leave easily? I have no idea what the score was last night, but based on the US tv I watch the general idea was that if they lost to the Brazil reserves then he'd get the sack.

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Aug 11 2010, 07:25 AM) *
THere was talk on ESPN during the world cup that his contract might not be renewed and last night during the game, there was again talk that it might be his last game for the NT.

We'll see if they do indeed sack him. As of right now I can't find anyone in mind who would be able to replace him, so I don't know what they are going to do. I didn't think he'd have been sacked but after the latest results, things have changed.
kurtsimonw
Bilic, Bradley, Eriksson, Curbishley and Jol have all been labelled 'favourite' by different sources. Only one of them is good enough to manage us, in my opinion. Bilic and Bradley are miles off, Sven needs stupid amounts of money and Curbishley is better at overacheiving with bad teams. It has to be Jol if it's one of these, or we're in trouble.

With that said, Kevin McDonald is caretaker manager and has done an exception job with our reserves the past few years, he should be given a few games to see how he does before we make a move.
Dracoris
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 12 2010, 12:46 AM) *

2) North American Culture. Sad to say but very few european coaches would be able to just come to north america and start bringing success, culture is different.

3) People's mentality. They way players have grown through the systems, what they are taught and what they believe; they are all very different from european players.

I was at the international coaching conference in Philly in January and we had coaches come from all over the world to do demos and teach the coaches who attended their philosophies.

Anyways, there was a coach from dynamo Zagreb there. It took him an entire 20 min to get his group to even function and do what he wanted. and when they wouldn't listen he would flip out, something normal in europe. Players open up and work harder. Here, players close up and shut you out. They quit trying and just don't care.

Out of the 10k people who sat their and watched his 1.5 hour session, only 200 were left by the time the session ended. He was absolutely shocking.

Its easier for NA coaches to go to europe because we are taught both styles, while they are only taught their own.

Jurgen Klinsmann.

Price: Higher than Bradley but affordable. The USSF has more money right now than they have ever had.

Culture: He lives in LA.

People's Mentality: Thats nearly the same thing as culture. But three points looks better than 2.

He's our man.
Fishdoll
If he says yes this time. He's be great but it's my understanding (can't recall exactly where I read it but I did read it in more than one place) that he's got philosophical differences with the federation so....
kurtsimonw
It's also arguable whether he's actually better than Bradley anyway. What's he done exactly?
Bluesummers
bayern
Jack Sparrow
Ermm..Germanny!!!! Bluey..you're such a cynic..you'll never get laid!
servbot
QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Aug 11 2010, 11:46 PM) *

-------

But you never know, we'll see. Soccer has changed and the USA has gotten a whole lot better. Things might be different.

Interesting. The money is probably the least of the issue now, as I've heard they are spending a lot more money nowadays. Crazy about that coaching session. Although, I guess it makes sense because there are different styles of play. I know in basketball they were talking about how it took the U.S. team, guys like LeBron, Kobe, and Wade, the best in the world, a few games just to get used to different styles of the international teams. Likewise when European players come to the NBA it sometimes takes them awhile to adjust to the style of play, and hoops is way less complex tactically than football too.

------------

So as not to de-rail the topic, I'm curious, why is EPL starting two weeks earlier than Serie A and La Liga?
Bluesummers
jack comon now, i don't need women... I have you wub.gif
Jack Sparrow
Uh-oh! unsure.gif
Milan Are Brilliant
Finally, it's back. Looking forward to it (for a change). Be interesting to see how Man Citeh get on with all these signings plus the likely inclusion of Milner and Balotelli over the next few days.

Will be interesting to see how teams get on with the 25 registered players rule. Kurt you know the ins and outs of this? I didn't even realise it was happening until the whole Bellamy story. Does this have a similar concept to CL, like cup-tied, minimum national players, ability to change it in January after signings etc? What about loans as well do they count?!

I'd say Chelsea are going to win it. United haven't spent big really again although Hernandez looks a decent young player, be interesting to see if they get Ozil.

Fancy Bolton, Blackpool & Wolves/Wigan to go down.

Surely Man City will get CL - at the very least.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.