Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couple of noob questions
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > General Football > Football Discussion
servbot
1) I was watching the LA Galaxy - Chicago Fire match just now (ftr, Beckham and to some degree Donovan were clearly in another class than everyone else on the pitch of course) and an incident came up that I haven't seen before.

Chicago was making a run around midfield and sent a ball long over the LA defenders. The Chicago forward trying to catch up to the lob pass was easily offside but it wasn't called. Somehow, an LA defender closed the gap and actually beat the Chicago forward to the ball, right near the top of the box. The LA defender was sprinting, so had no chance to control the ball, and kind of deflected it to the keeper, who picked the ball up. The referree then stopped play and awarded Chicago a free kick! The announcer said something about a "back pass", and how it looked more like a deflection than a pass, and that it was a questionable call. Then more craziness ensued, but that's not relevant to my question.

Is it illegal then for a keeper to use his hands, if the defender passes it to him? I could swear I've seen keepers pick up the ball off of a teammate's pass all the time. I thought it was just illegal for a keeper to use hands if the keeper was outside of the box.

2) More of a terminology question. I understand that an attacking midfielder is sometimes called a "trequartista" or a "#10". In context I can tell these are terms for a playmaker, so to speak. Kind of like what we would all love Dinho to be. But where do the numbers come in - there's 10, and then "trequartista" makes me think of 3 and 4, but I'm probably breaking the word down wrong. Is there a connection that I'm missing or are they just kind of random nicknames for an attacking midfielder?
il_diavolo_mtl
if it is headed/deflected then yes, passed, no.
Tennie
Trequartista is an Italian term for playmaking midfielder. Donovan would be the equivalent player for LA. The best recent Milan example for a pure #10 would be Rui Costa. Ronaldinho, Kaka, and Seedorf are all sort of trequartistas but not exactly in the same way as Rui Costa was. The trequartista traditionally plays right behind the strikers in what's thought of as the 'three quarters' position (hence the name).
dst
^What diavolo and Tennie said and a couple more things: maybe you've seen the goalie pick up the ball from a teammate's pass in old videos? It was allowed back in the day but now the goalkeeper can only catch it if it's from a header or from the chest. It can be from the leg too but only if it's a deflection off it or a failed clearance in other words only if it's unintentional.

As for the numbers, the trequartista position has been associated with number 10 because in the past the teams could only use the numbers 1-11 for their first XI and starting from the goalkeeper who was given number 1 the players got their numbers according to their positions.
kurtsimonw
Something else on the back pass rule, which I didn't even know until last Sunday when it occured in the Sunderland-Wolves game. Keiran Richardson played a stupid ball all the way back to his keeper, who was not expecting it, and he was also out of position. This meant he needed to make a diving save to stop the own goal.. a free-kick was awarded to Wolves. I always assumed you just couldn't pick it up with your hands, I wasn't aware you couldn't use your hands at all.
servbot
Thanks guys (and Tennie), these answers make sense!

I haven't really seen any old videos, but a search for some old vids on YouTube will be a good idea.
servbot
bump.

Why the heck is Maicon allowed to play for Brazil in the U-20 World Cup? ESPN.com says he's 28.

Cool thing is, he got stuffed on a wide open shot late in the 2nd half, then missed a penalty kick in the shootout that would have won the Cup for Brazil.

Ghana wins despite having just 10 men after the 37th minute.
Tennie
It's got to be a different Maicon and not the one who plays for the Bad Team. The one who plays for the Bad Team is, as you note, too old to play for the U20s.

Didn't watch the final -- but yay Ghana for winning, especially doing so with 10 guys for most of an hour.
servbot
That would be the reasonable explanation. laugh.gif

I'm not familiar with either's appearance, but the announcer said "Maicon" and when I looked up who played on the boxscore, ESPN's listing linked to Inter's Maicon and that threw me off. Would have been embarrassing for him if he couldn't dominate the U-20 match!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.