Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Werder Bremen - Milan -- 18.02.09
AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 08/09
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tennie
So, Milan take on Werder Bremen in the UEFA Cup this Wednesday.

Bremen are traditionally one of the stronger sides in Germany but they're struggling this season and are currently in midtable (at the weekend they drew with bottom team Borussia Monchengladbach). Their defense is leakier than ours but they've got a pretty strong attack. Folks may have seen Claudio Pizarro or Diego before, but to me the guy to look out for is Mesut Ozil - he's an AM and he's really very good indeed. Just got his first call up to the German NT. Both Vranjes and Jensen are out with injury. A really big blow for them is that Torsten Frings is suspended for the game (yellow card accumulation from the CL).

English referee Mike Dean will be in charge of the match. I think he's one of the better English refs.

Here are Milan's call ups for the game.
Abbiati, Dida, Perucchini (50)
Antonini, Bonera, Darmian, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Senderos, Zambrotta
Ambrosini, Beckham, Flamini, Pirlo, Seedorf
Inzaghi, Pato, Shevchenko, Ronaldinho.

No Kaka. Shevchenko is carrying an injury, not sure why he's been called up.
whoarethepatriots
I completely forgot about this match. Bremen are not to be underestimated
dst
We have to get a good result in Germany. The UEFA Cup is the top priority now.
elcordobez
Are we at home for the 1st leg?

This is the type of opponent we usually walk all over,i reckon we'll play a very good game to bounce back from the loss.
Tennie
We're away for the first leg. The team fly to Bremen tomorrow.
whoarethepatriots
A draw would be a decent result, then we can go for the win at the San Siro
MizNelson
I see we're calling up all the big guns now. Gotta love Carlo. dry.gif
Fillipo Simone
Both Vranjes and Jensen are out with injury. A really big blow for them is that Torsten Frings is suspended for the game (yellow card accumulation from the CL).

Hmh, Fring's been so bad recently, I think it's a blessing for them he's out...
But you never know..
Rivaldo
I want to see this lineup

-------------------------------------------------Dida-----------------------------------------------
---Zambro------------------Bonera------------------------Senderos\Maldini------Janku-------
----------------Becks---------------------Pirlo\Flamini------------Ambro------------------------
------------------------------------------------Dinho-----------------------------------------------
--------------------------------Pippo--------------------------Pato---------------------------------

But sure Carlo will play 'tree' and Seedorf in, Pippo - out(((
han2503
The team I hope to see against Bremen

Antonini--Bonera--Senderos--Kala
Flamini--Beckham--Seedorf
Dinho
Pato--Sheva

Dida in goal, give the fullbacks a rest, I put Kala on the left because I think that it's a 'lesser of two evils' kind of choice. After the shambles agaisnt Inter it's obvious that's he's totally out of touch atm and having him on the left would be killing 2 birds with one stone: Playing him and helping him regain match fitness while not risking having him in the center. Bonera has o play because other then Paolo he's our best defender atm, and Paolo cannot play another game this week after the game against Inter.

Flamini imo has earned the right to be a starter, atleast until Gattuso returns, Ambro is just terrible atm, and apart from that last ditch tackle against Inter he's coming to be more of a burden to the team. He's supposed to cover the fullback while he's attacking, that's why Carlo plays our DMs to the sides of the midfield 3, yet most of the time he's in the opposition's box putting in bad crosses, Maicon did whatever he wanted on Sunday, and imo this falls on Ambro not being able to do his job. Until Rino is back Flamini should be the one starting in that position. Becks to play the Pirlo role and Seedorf moved back to his best position where he is twice more effective then he is as an AM.

Dinho and Pato pick themselves out and I'm going with a half each for Sheva and Pippo, Pippo to come on in the second half an ruffle a few feathers.

@ Tennie, I think Sheva is included becuase they'll know he'll be ready to play

As for what I think Carlo will put out. It will be the usual xmas tree

Antonini--Bonera--Kala--Janku
Beckham--Pirlo--Ambro
Dinho--Seedorf
Pato

Maybe he'll throw in Pippo instead of Pato if he's feeling adventerous wink.gif

I don't think we've managed to win a single game with this set-up.

The Dinho--Seedorf combo just does not work because they are slow and Seedorf's tendency to pass back constantly.
Tennie
So...no Shevchenko after all.

A.C. MILAN OFFICIAL NOTE
2/16/2009
MILAN - A.C. Milan communicate that, after the results of today's medical exams, the footballer Andriy Shevchenko will not be called up for the Uefa Cup match against Werder Bremen. The exams in fact evidenced that the healing process of the inflammation to the scar on his left quadriceps is not entirely complete.
Zed.D
There is something wrong with MilanLab.
Fillipo Simone
Who's called up instead?
Rivaldo
Nobody...

Han, are you joking?? Kaladze?? Arrrrr....
MizNelson
QUOTE (Zed.D @ Feb 16 2009, 02:12 PM) *
There is something wrong with MilanLab.

I'm starting to believe that. Is there anyone (besides Abs) who hasn't missed a game due to injury so far this season? Anyway, if Kaladze is called up in place of Shev, we're doomed.

QUOTE (FSimone)
Hmh, Fring's been so bad recently, I think it's a blessing for them he's out...

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time, since after the '06 World Cup.
kurtsimonw
Has Ambro been injured this season? I know he's had his problems in the past, but can't remember him being out due to injury so far this season.
Il Capitano
QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Feb 17 2009, 01:47 AM) *
Has Ambro been injured this season? I know he's had his problems in the past, but can't remember him being out due to injury so far this season.

He did get an injury that kept him out of play for a couple of weeks but I do not remember what kind of injury it was. I don't think it was something serious, he only missed 2/3 games.
han2503
QUOTE (Rivaldo @ Feb 17 2009, 12:26 AM) *
Nobody...

Han, are you joking?? Kaladze?? Arrrrr....

Well he's 1 of the only 4 current central defenders we have.

Yes he was horrible against Inter and might as well just put on an Inter shirt to begin with, but it's obvious that he's not match fit. We need to have back ups that could do the job. I put him in on the left so that he could regain match fitness but still not be a hazard by playing in the center
Jack Sparrow
Playing Kaladze on the left, still wouldn't solve our width problem. sad.gif Even with Janku we're suffering. Sergio... cry.gif
Darunia
I'd like to see this lineup:

Dida
Zambrotta Bonera Senderos Jankulovski
Beckham Flamini Seedorf
Ronaldinho
Pato Pippo

Flamini plays well on the middle, not so well on the flanks. 4-3-1-2, oh how I've missed it. I thought Pippo/Pato combo showed some potential against Inter (as long as Pippo can stay onside). Hope Ronnie is back to his best, when he plays with determination like against Inter, he is still great.
Jack Sparrow
Pippo will get onside soon. He's a bit rusty.

You know this Flamini thing gets me everytime. I'd have expected him to be able to play on the flanks,since at Arsenal he's played as LB. It's just wierd.

Ronnie played well, coz his duties are well defined, it's not a split between him and Kaka. Carlo needs to fix that issue soon, of how to get our four number 10s to play in tandem. The thing is if he can allocate the jobs correctly, then it would be fine, since they're such great players (Andy, Zee, Ronnie, Ricky) they can't be stopped by pure tactics alone, if they're all playing to their strengths.

The problem here is that Andy shouldn't ideally have to shoulder defensive responsibility, more than cutting space for the DMs to make the tackle or for the fullbacks to get back.

Seedorf likes to play treqqie coz that's what he likes, to go up front, provide assists etc. It's not really the position he plays in that's irking him (withdrawn/ advanced)...however in our lineup, he's being used as solely a junction player, especially in the new 4-3-2-1. While in the old 4-3-1-2, he was also given the freedom to be a second creative mid, besides Rui/Kaka.

Ronnie and Ricky...both of them like the left side. I think Ronnie should be placed on the right, let him get used to it proper. I've seen him play that way for Brazil.

But this is just armchair talk. It's up to Carlo now.

I think what Carlo needs the most is some great assistants. Here it's wierd. You had Tassotti, Billy. These are all inexperienced guys, who were great players and looking to get into coaching. What he would need is some tactical input from someone other than Silvio Berlusconi...

Can we get the other fellow...Ten Cate?
Tennie
Carletto made a brief statement at Malpensa on the way to Germany for the game.

Game-related comments:
* Dida will play in goal
* Pippo will play
* There'll be a turnover in defense because Il Capitano can't play 3 games a week.
Jack Sparrow
Favalli cool.gif
elcordobez
ON TOMORROW’S FORMATION
“Dida will play in goal. With regards to the rest of the team there will be a turnover in defence, because Maldini cannot play three games in a week. Inzaghi will play in attack because right now he's the only available attacker."

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Hope it's just a bad translation and there's nothing wrong with Pato.

dst
I don't think Pato has picked up an injury or anything, he's probably just being rested.
Tennie
The game's getting a lot of coverage on Bremen's website.

There's a longish interview with Maldini (in German, don't have time to translate) HERE.
CrazyMilanFan
QUOTE (dst @ Feb 17 2009, 01:33 PM) *
I don't think Pato has picked up an injury or anything, he's probably just being rested.

i hope u r rite unsure.gif
elcordobez
QUOTE (Tennie @ Feb 18 2009, 01:42 AM) *
The game's getting a lot of coverage on Bremen's website.

There's a longish interview with Maldini (in German, don't have time to translate) HERE.

Cheers..

Google translator kinda gives you the jist of what they're talking about smile.gif

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0=
il_diavolo_mtl
lets hope Diego dsnt run all over us, because we might have to play him when facing Juve:S
Tennie
Pato may have picked up a slight knock (piccoli problemi fisici in the original) and my guess is he won't play.
Fillipo Simone
Maldini: „No one can say I’ve stopped to early“

Incredible, but true: Paolo Maldini’s career last’s longer then the Champions League, he played 20 years ago (while the 5 month old Mesut Özil still didn’t even know there is a thing called football) against Werder, and will be there on Wednesday as an active player to mess his skills with the green-white shirts. A stainless career lies in the middle. (…)

Mr. Maldini, exactly 20 years ago you played with your present coach Carlo Ancelotti against Werder in the European Cup. Do you still have any memories from back then?

Oh, it’s been a long while, and my memories are meanwhile foggy, But it sure was a game in the competition of (land) champions. We were champions in Italy back then. Yep, and if I’m correct, I scored a header in the home game for our 1-0 lead, after a cross by Donadoni, right?

Home game – correct, 1:0 – correct, but it was a dubious penalty by Marco van Basten. You scored sure had the 1:0 against Werder in the 1994 Champions League edition in mind.

Oh! You see!...but the first duel was also in a competition of (land) champions, while we meet this time unfortunately just in the UEFA-Cup, even though it’s a competition near to the Champions League.

In Bremen people are glad to see especially you play once more, even though your team is of big names. How do you explain your unbelievable successful career in sucha long time period?

I think, it’s very easy. My motivation is very natural. I love my work, I have fun even after all these years. Maybe people do sense that. But I also have luck, that my body still permits all that. That must be of course right, if you want to play that long on the highest level.

Werder Bremen also have a veteran, captain Frank Baumann. He reconsiders ending his career 10 years after he joined the green-whites, with 33 years. You’ll be soon 41, do you grin about the “a strayed” thoughts of you captain-college?

No, that’s a decision everyone makes for himself alone. I think, it’s very personal matter. In that decision many different factors play a role. It depends on your will and physic state to carry proving yourself. I won’t interfere.

But can you provide the Baumann-fans with some Tips, how they can talk the Werder captain into a contract extension? That happened with you also – 2 years ago you announced for the first time your retirement, but changed your mind later.

That’s right. But I’m glad I changed my mind last year. This season I had only small problems, trained every day with the team, and when I played on the field I played from the beginning. I’m satisfied with that. Countless players ended their professional career and regret that decision later on. That can’t be my case any more! I’m really 40 years old! (laughs)

When your contract expires this summer, you’ll be 41 already. Is it really the end?

Absolutely. There’s no return. But I think, that’s alright with everyone, even if I feel myself physically better then the last two seasons.

Like your Bremer captain-college, in your career you’ve reach all top’s and low’s with one club. Such loyalty is uncommon under the modern-football circumstances. Why did you stay always at Milan?

Very easy, at home I found always everything what I thought was important. It’s difficult for someone like me, who was born here, who has a family here, who is connected in such a way with AC Milan, to find a reason to move somewhere else.

Do usually many young players come to you and ask for advices? Nevertheless you played on international stages even before some of them were born.

Well, what should I say. The situation today is different. The young players don’t have it easier exactly. In contrary. The team-rosters are much bigger then the ones years back. So they have less opportunities to show themselves. They need, beside quality and personality, also a good and bold coach. It’s hard to fulfill the expectations a club like AC Milan bears for a young player.

Yesterday night the 270th Derby della Madonnina was on. It was personally your 55th duel with your city rival. Does the 1:2 defeat mean AC must back down from their season objectives?

No question, the derby against Inter was an important match, but it does not go that far that we can say the outcome labels our season as good or bad. Our objective is, every year, to win either the home or European title. That cannot be done in one match. There’s much more in it.

You team college Ronaldinho found his form back at season start, but couldn’t repeat the same in the last few weeks. He was left out before the Inter game for 4 times from the starting eleven. Did you have to encourage him a team captain?

I did notice that he wasn’t satisfied, also because he sits in the locker room next to me. But it wasn’t necessary to say something special to him. The joy he takes every day with him on training, says everything about him. It proves his personality. I also think it was good for him he played with the Brazilian NT in midweek against such a strong side like Italy. As you already said, one should never forget that he was our most crucial player of the first part of our season.

How does your future look, after you stop this summer? Will you stay in the professional business?

Those plans are still difficult because I’m still fully into my active-player routine. At this moment there is no decision made. But there is enough time, to check all options and think about them and decide were to go on. It’s also an option not to do anything for the start. Fact stays, I’ll only start something that corresponds with my thoughts.

Does a coach-job correspond with your thoughts?

(laughs) You clearly don’t wish me good. If it is something I won’t do, then it’s probably a coach-job. No, it won’t go in that direction.

Here's my translation. Note - I made it in short time since I have to work, so parts of it can be phrased unprofessional or poorly.
Il Capitano
^^
Thanks for translating.

They need, beside quality and personality, also a good and bold coach.
I like that part.
woody
Sorry to hijack, but does anybody know if I am able to watch this game in Australia? It doesn't seem to be on ESPN or SBS which usually have the games.
acid911
QUOTE (woody @ Feb 18 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Sorry to hijack, but does anybody know if I am able to watch this game in Australia? It doesn't seem to be on ESPN or SBS which usually have the games.

Internet steaming is you new friend, mate. biggrin.gif If it's not on TV or cable, start downloading some bits!
Tennie
Not sure if this is any help in Australia, woody, but Setanta is broadcasting the game.
Jack Sparrow
QUOTE (woody @ Feb 18 2009, 04:28 PM) *

huh.gif Dude....seriously! laugh.gif I would have been banned 14 months ago, if it was a crime. We're an anarchy here, despite what all the mods with scary stories of shark infested fish tanks and sociopathic assassin alter-egos would have you believe.

acid911
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 18 2009, 04:43 PM) *
Dude....seriously! I would have been banned 14 months ago, if it was a crime. We're an anarchy here, despite what all the mods with scary stories of shark infested fish tanks and sociopathic assassin alter-egos would have you believe.

The pirate speaketh the truth! cool.gif He's a professional at this thread hijacking thingy too, just so you know.
Rivaldo
channel4.com - Dinho may miss tonights game and as Carletto said 'Pippo is only our forward now'.

So No Dinho and No Pato??

------Becks-------------Pirlo------------Flamini---------Ambro------------
---------------------------------Seedorf-------------------------------------
----------------------------------Pippo---------------------------------------

??
Jack Sparrow
I think he might play Janku as a pure MF. With Antonini and Zambrotta as fullbacks. (Can't say we have wingbacks any more can we... rolleyes.gif dry.gif)
Rivaldo
I heard some suggest Ambro may play with Pippo as forward.....huh....where frome people take sucj ideas??
Jack Sparrow
biggrin.gif We've done it before you know....biggrin.gif When a team clammed up, and we had to play long balls. We didn't win though. sad.gif
dst
Pippo like Germany. Pippo score tonight.
Fillipo Simone
Technically speaking, we lost, but Ambro scored the winner for the next round...
kizo
Milannews.it probable formation

MILAN (4-3-2-1): Dida; Zambrotta, Bonera, Kaladze, Jankulovski; Beckham, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Seedorf, Ronaldinho; F.Inzaghi.
han2503
QUOTE (kizo @ Feb 18 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Milannews.it probable formation

MILAN (4-3-2-1): Dida; Zambrotta, Bonera, Kaladze, Jankulovski; Beckham, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Seedorf, Ronaldinho; F.Inzaghi.

Glad to see Dinho there
Zed.D
Kaladze... is he Carlo's lover or what?!
Tennie
His biggest problem (aside from the obvious kaladzities) is lack of match fitness. Better let him do a little work here than risk the game with Cagliari at the weekend - the Sardi are a good side this year.
CrazyMilanFan
yea senderos/favilli-bonera hopefully with zambrotta-janku/ favilli
Ry4n
My predictions for tonights game is 1 -0 to Milan with a Dinho goal ! king.gif
Tennie
I hesitate to predict but dst is right. Pippo likes to score in Germany so Fishdoll hopes to see that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.