AC Milan - Milanfan.com > AC Milan > Matches > Archive 07/08
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Fillipo Simone
Serie A 2007/08 - Week 8

Milan vs. Empoli

Sunday, October 21st, 2007

14:00 (UK); 15:00 (IT)
Jack Sparrow
Would you believe it if I told you I don't think we can win this one?
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Oct 7 2007, 09:30 PM)
Would you believe it if I told you I don't think we can win this one?

I certainly would,...this match will eventually give us the answer of our form.
arivanjj
it's always hard coming back from such breaks... but we need to take advantage of it and swing the result our way!
Zed.D
We'll win because we must win. that's simple.
vnata001
today's performance was beautiful to watch. But im waiting this out. Yes, gila played like the player we bought him to be. However, one of the knocks against Gila that has been repeated in this forum NUMEROUS times is that he only scores at moments that aren't necessarily crucial to milan's success. Yes, he finished very well on his second and his goals did make the scoreline very flattering, lets all not have such short memories. I want to wait for him to start being a CLUTCH player for us..and when i see some consistency, then ill start singing his praises. We are pleasantly surprised and overjoyed when Gila plays like this today, whereas if Didier Drogba or RVN or Hernan Crespo scored those two, it would have been nothing unexpected. That's the confidence i want Gila to give us and to this team. Lets wait before we hail him as the new savior.
vnata001
..oops ^^
kurtsimonw
I'm going to go.. 1-1. I'm not 100% convinced right now, plus the international break has really come at the wrong time for us, right when we have a little momentum.

They're a decent team, and we've struggled at home so far.. I think I'm going into crazy land though, Gila to equalise in the last few minutes. tongue.gif
han2503
If we have Ronaldo back by this game I would be much more at ease about the result.

If not then I'm thinking draw, because like everyone else I'm not 100% convinced by our win against Lazio
Rossoneri7
Although this game will be played 2 weeks from now. By that time we would have recovered Maldini, Ronaldo and Sergio ...

I would predict a 3-1 win for Milan.

The only problem the team would face is when the opposition closes down .. That is the main reason to for the negative results. If teh team play with humility and dedication + have fun .. We will win with an even bigger margin.

Forza Milan devilsmiley.gif
Minami
I'm in two minds about this game...

On the one hand the game yeaterday was really well and we did really well so far...but on the other hand one won game can't turn down all the other (bad) results

I just hope we'll get a fast first goal...

I prdict a 2:1 win, because we play at home and there will hopefully be some more fans after that win in Rome. smile.gif
jefri91
2-0
Darunia
I hope Ronnie can make an appearance in this one.. but hopefully we won't need him biggrin.gif

I say Gila scores one! He's a streaky player, so hopefully his luck continues.
KillerMax
You guys do realize that Gila scored our 4th and 5th goal right? Because it's much easier to score then. He has a habit of doing that. When there is a lot of pressure, he is very weak.
arivanjj
Galliani - "Ronaldo? I hope to find him back on the 21st and then a few months later we will have Pato available..."

i thought he woulda been fit by then sad.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (arivanjj @ Oct 9 2007, 01:44 AM)
i thought he woulda been fit by then sad.gif

He might ... They are just being careful in case he isn't ready ..
aLbErTo
gila will have to score more 4th and 5th goals for his strentgh...i belive that if he scores on 3 of 3 our next games he wont be able to stop anymore smile.gif
Zed.D
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Oct 9 2007, 08:44 AM)
He might ... They are just being careful in case he isn't ready ..

It's the right decision in my opinion. no need to rush things as he might risk losing another two months or so by playing in Catania match... he must be 100%, not even 99.5%.
Rossoneri7
So it is almost certain that Ronaldo will play this game (starting off the bench) ... It's about time smile.gif

I think with Ronaldo, we will unlock those tight defenses with ease king.gif
Tennie
I'm not so sure Ronie will play. He's still not training with the group as of today (Monday). God is training with the group, though!
dst
Oh Lord!

Ronaldo close to return

Milan ace Ronaldo says he is close to returning to action, but has ruled out featuring against Empoli this weekend.

Ronaldo has yet to feature for Milan so far this season as he looks to shake off a niggling leg injury.

Milan had hoped the Brazilian could make his return against Empoli, but Ronaldo is refusing to rush his return.

"I don't know (if I'll play against Empoli), I don't think so," said Ronaldo.

"We are continuing with our recovery programme. We are almost there."

::skysports::
Tennie
Toldja.

I expect he won't play until he's put in a full week of training with the rest of the team and taking part in practice games. He hasn't done that yet at all.
Rossoneri7
^^^

For now, all we can do is hope he is available .. But knowing Carlo, he wont start him unless he is 100% .. Probably he will be on the bench
arivanjj
i just hope he comes on for the last 20 mins or so smile.gif
Tennie
From acmilan.com's italian site breaking news section: Ancelotti: Non ci sono certezze che giochi domenica contro l'Empoli, Ronaldo sta lavorando bene ma non bisogna avere fretta. Quando inizierà ad allenarsi con la squadra, vorrà dire che starà bene, anche se bisognerà valutare il contatto col pallone. Valuteremo assieme.

[It's not certain that he'll play Sunday against Empoli, Ronaldo is working well but there's not need to hurry. When he starts to train with the team I want to say that he's well, and it's necessary to evaluate his contact with the ball. We'll evaluate it together.]
Tennie
Good news and bad news from today's training. God worked with the group for the whole session.

However:

A parte si sono invece allenati Jankulovski (lavoro atletico), Ronaldo (allunghi) e Nesta (in palestra). (from acmilan.com's italian page)

[Januklovski, Ronaldo, and Nesta trained separately.]
Rossoneri7
So we are going back and forth with Ronaldo's debut ... TBH, I don't think the team need Ronaldo for Empoli. The game is at home and the team is starting to get into gear.
Tennie
I'm more worried about Janku and Nesta possibly not being there than Ronaldo, tbh.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 16 2007, 06:19 PM)
I'm more worried about Janku and Nesta possibly not being there than Ronaldo, tbh.

Nah they will be there .. Janku was injured for almost 2 weeks now .. And Nesta I have no idea.

But let's look at the bright side .. Maldini devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif
whoarethepatriots
This match is being broadcast on Channel five (uk)
Zed.D
I can see us win this game, with or without Ronaldo, Nesta, Janku. because God is returning and that will lift the team's spirit for sure. he's like a father to Milan!
Tennie
Il Milan ha terminato alle ore 11.30 la seduta mattutina di allenamento sul campo rialzato del centro sportivo rossonero di Milanello. Esercizi di rapidità e di agilità per il gruppo, ad eccezione di Ambrosini, Nesta, Pato e Ronaldo che si sono allenati in palestra. Alle ore 15.00 è in programma un'amichevole contro la formazione della Berretti.

(from acmilan.com's Italian page)

The team finished its morning training on the reduced field at Milanello. Exercises of rapidity and agility for the group, with the exception of Ambrosini, Nesta, Pato and Ronaldo who worked in the gym. At 3pm the team will play a friendly against the Berretti.

So Janku is back with the team but Ambro's working in the gym. Bit of a revolving door, there.
han2503
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 17 2007, 11:40 AM)
So Janku is back with the team but Ambro's working in the gym. Bit of a revolving door, there.

Ambro isn't much of a problem since Emerson could take his place but I personally would like to see Yoann get the chance to play in Ambro's position against Empoli.

We don't need 2 defensive mids in this game. And Yoann deserves to get his chance especially in these games
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (han2503 @ Oct 17 2007, 07:45 PM)
Ambro isn't much of a problem since Emerson could take his place but I personally would like to see Yoann get the chance to play in Ambro's position against Empoli.

We don't need 2 defensive mids in this game. And Yoann deserves to get his chance especially in these games

I agree .. But playing with four #10s rolleyes.gif It ain't Carlo's style
Fillipo Simone
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Oct 17 2007, 09:56 PM)
I agree .. But playing with four #10s rolleyes.gif It ain't Carlo's style

Playing four #10s isn't rational IMO,.. cool.gif
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Oct 18 2007, 12:43 AM)
Playing four #10s isn't rational IMO,.. cool.gif

Suicide really
KillerMax
QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Oct 18 2007, 08:16 AM)
Suicide really

Not at all. When we play 4-4-2, we play with one defensive mid(Gattuso), one playmaker(Pirlo) and two attacking mids(Seedorf and Kaka) plus two attackers. Now you substitute one of the attackers with another AM. Simple as that.
Rossoneri7
QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Oct 18 2007, 07:47 PM)
Not at all. When we play 4-4-2, we play with one defensive mid(Gattuso), one playmaker(Pirlo) and two attacking mids(Seedorf and Kaka) plus two attackers. Now you substitute one of the attackers with another AM. Simple as that.

To us on lookers, it cant get any simpler smile.gif

But on the pitch, the team would loose a lot for this reason, amongst several others .. the team wont be able to coup in counter attacks. The team would be overwhelmed.

Having one striker and 4 #10s (divide them as play maker or AMs .. as u see fit ) .. we would loose balance. With two strikers, the whole game plan shifts, and the opposing team would have to change tactics to coup with this, i.e. they wouldn't counter attack as much .. But one striker and 4 #10s, i would say that is suicide, that would mean way too much space for the opposition.

p.s. I am no expert and this is just what i derived from watching both our formations (442 diamond and the x-tree) ...
Bluesummers
Ancelotti To Rest Kaka Against Empoli Milan superstar Kaka seems set to be rested in Sunday’s Serie A clash against Empoli, after his exploits for Brazil last night.
Ancelotti To Rest Kaka Against Empoli
[I]

Kaka was in sparkling form in his country’s 5-0 World Cup qualifying victory over Ecuador, scoring twice and having a hand in another.

However the midfielder is not set to return to Milan until tomorrow and Rossoneri Coach Carlo Ancelotti is not prepared to risk a player who is just coming off the end of a gruelling plane journey.

Instead it seems that French youngster Yoann Gourcuff and Clarence Seedorf will support revitalised striker Alberto Gilardino.

If Kaka’s absence is confirmed, Ancelotti will be hoping it does not have the same affect as it did when the 25-year-old was rested against Siena in week three. Milan drew the game 1-1 and only earned a point courtesy of a last-minute goal by Alessandro Nesta.

Kaka will certainly return for the home midweek Champions League clash with Shakhtar Donetsk. The Rossoneri will be hoping to gain three points against the Ukrainians after losing to Celtic in their last outing in Europe.

source: goal.com
dst
^^
I actually hoped for this to happen! Two intercontinental flights in such a short time would exhaust anyone...

We should rest him and Yoann should take his place!
Ry4n
QUOTE (dst @ Oct 18 2007, 05:20 PM)
^^
I actually hoped for this to happen! Two intercontinental flights in such a short time would exhaust anyone...

We should rest him and Yoann should take his place!

Channel 4 says Brocchi will take his place :S
dst
QUOTE (rhy_A4 @ Oct 18 2007, 08:58 PM)
Channel 4 says Brocchi will take his place :S

Those guys are stupid but it could happen...
Tennie
Yawn. channel 4 is rarely 100% right. Neither is Neither is Goal. Nor is Gazzetta; they predict the following lineup:

Dida 1
Oddo 44
Nesta 13
Bonera 25
Favalli 19
Gattuso 8
Pirlo 21
Ambrosini 23
Seedorf 10
Kakà 22
Gilardino 11
Zed.D
QUOTE (dst @ Oct 18 2007, 09:32 PM)
Those guys are stupid but it could happen...

My God... that'd be something beyond stupidity. Brocchi is totally talent-free! he should only replace Gattuso, not a creative player like Kaka.

I'm sorry for you, Yoann... sad.gif you should have joined Arsenal or a team like them, not Milan...
Tennie
Oy.

Guys, the whole channel 4 article comes out of the fact that (a probably jet-lagged) Kaka didn't train today. That's it. NOBODY from Milan has said thing one about resting him or starting him (or anyone else for that matter). I also don't think it's unreasonable for someone to not train after what's probably a 9-10 hour plane ride.

Let's chill out, shall we, have a drink and watch my fish doll push R7 into the piranha tank. smile.gif
Rossoneri7
Yeah !! U guys r blowing things out of proportions .. Nothing is decided yet.

p.s. there is no power on Earth that would take me within 10 feet from your piranha tank !! unless if i was tipsy and u used ur charisma, then I'm screwed biggrin.gif
MizNelson
QUOTE (Tennie @ Oct 18 2007, 11:08 AM)
Yawn. channel 4 is rarely 100% right. Neither is Neither is Goal. Nor is Gazzetta; they predict the following lineup:

All Channel 4 does is pick articles from the Italian dailies and translate them into English. It's not like they have their own crack reporting team or anything, which explains that you'd have to be on, well, crack to believe some of the mishigosh that appears on their site sometimes.

*feels the piranha love* smile.gif
Jack Sparrow
...mishigosh

Is this something you use to paint? What was the last word you used like this? Cheese Omelette? No..it was milquetoast.

Gotta say you're an absolute inspiration.
arivanjj
Serie A Preview: Milan - Empoli -- goal.com preview

Milan are attempting to pick up right where they left off before the international break. The club had been struggling both in Italy and in the Champions League. However, their last match was a return to form, and a good indication of what Milan can be when they play at their best.

The 5-1 demolition of Lazio (in Rome, amazingly) two weeks ago was the highlight of their season so far, and it came so unexpectedly. Pretty much the entire side played well, but the man of the match was surely Kakà. He ran at the Lazio defense time and time again, with nary a challenger who could stop him.

This was punctuated by his brace, and especially by his second goal. As a Lazio defender attempted to mob him in the box, he simply shrugged off the challenge, and then spun to shoot the ball just inside of the near post.

Milan will probably have to play without Kakà for this match, however, as he is more than likely going to be rested, keeping in mind the effort he put out in the midweek World Cup qualifying victory for Brazil, not to mention the Champions League match on Tuesday against Shakhtar Donetsk of Ukraine.

Empoli must have felt good about themselves after the 3-1 home win over Palermo at the end of September, but those feelings were quickly lost when they put up consecutive 3-0 losses to FC Zurich in the UEFA Cup (eliminating them from the competition) and Siena, a fellow relegation battler.

All in all, the elimination from European play may be a blessing in disguise, as the side were clearly not able to cope with performing in two major competitions. They will now be able to try and climb back up the Serie A table, something they surprisingly did in the past two seasons following promotion from Serie B in 2005.

FORM GUIDE
(last five domestic fixtures)

Milan

9/15 Siena 1-1 Milan Serie A

9/23 Milan 1-1 Parma Serie A

9/26 Palermo 2-1 Milan Serie A

9/30 Milan 1-1 Catania Serie A

10/7 Lazio 1-5 Milan Serie A

Empoli

9/15 Lazio 0-0 Empoli Serie A

9/23 Empoli 0-0 Napoli Serie A

9/26 Catania 1-0 Empoli Serie A

9/30 Empoli 3-1 Palermo Serie A

10/7 Siena 3-0 Empoli Serie A

TEAM NEWS

Milan will wait for Ronaldo to finally make his return to the field, as his fitness concerns have yet again delayed his debut this season. Captain Paolo Maldini is on the way back to fitness, as is Serginho, but neither will be ready for this match. With Kakà probably being rested, young French midfielder Yoann Gourcuff may get the playing time he is so desperately (and publicly, as evidenced by his comments to the press) craving. Empoli have a nearly fit squad, except for the injury to Vittorio Tosto. Also, Daniele Adani misses this match due to suspension.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Alberto Gilardino (Milan) – Finally opened his goal scoring account for the season in the win against Lazio, getting two well deserved goals. He can either use that as motivation, or allow the booing of the Milan tifosi to weigh on him.

Nicola Pozzi (Empoli) – He was thought to be on the verge of becoming a great striker while on the books at Milan, but he did not progress quickly enough, and was off-loaded. He has a chance here to prove what he can do to his former employers.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI’s

Milan (4-3-2-1): Dida; Oddo, Nesta, Bonera, Favalli; Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Gourcuff, Seedorf; Gilardino

Empoli (4-4-2): Balli; Raggi, Vanigli, Marzoratti, Antonini; Buscè, Giacomazzi, Marchisio, Moro; Pozzi, Saudati

PREDICTION

This match presents a great opportunity to both sides. For Milan, they have the chance to really get their season back on track; and for Empoli, they can use the defeats suffered at the hands of their previous opponents as motivation to start playing better and attain the positions in the table they enjoyed the past two seasons.

Milan 2-0 Empoli
Rossoneri7
Alright I can't wait for this game !!!

I missed Milan and am convinced the team will put on a show for us tomorrow king.gif

Forza Milan devilsmiley.gif devilsmiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.