313 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World Cup 2010 - South Africa

 
acid911
post Aug 20 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #151


Berretti
**********

Group: Helpers
Posts: 13,937
Joined: 26-February 08
From: Always Around
Member No.: 3,736



QUOTE (Giancarlo @ Aug 21 2008, 01:39 AM) *
God no.
The galaxy... um... just check their last eight games. One point lol...
The galaxy makes me laugh... they defend like amateurs.

But still they have enough $$$ to fund transfer like Beckham's. MLS is so, um, um, let's leave it at that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) They did generate a whole lot of hype, though. I'd have to guess their marketing department was working overtime when David signed.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
acid911
post Aug 20 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #152


Berretti
**********

Group: Helpers
Posts: 13,937
Joined: 26-February 08
From: Always Around
Member No.: 3,736



QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 21 2008, 01:45 AM) *
2-2. Joe Cole in the 92nd minute. You just saved Capello's @ss my friend.

Why am I not too happy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) A loss would have benefited England more in the long run. Now all will be good in the land of English NT football.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Tennie
post Aug 20 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #153


Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 12,435
Joined: 13-November 06
From: Washington, DC
Member No.: 2,800



About the Galaxy (I don't exactly follow them but I'm aware of stuff because I do half follow DC United): the team is composed of 2 really good players (Beckham and Landon Donovan) and 9 red-shirts (in the Star Trek sense). It's not a surprise that their defense is poor or that they're struggling. Lalas was a terrible GM and while I will always adore Gullit as a player, he's not the greatest coach in the world. Bruce Arena has been brought in and I imagine things will pick up a bit.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Darunia
post Aug 20 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #154


Giovanissimi Nazionali
*******

Group: Full Members
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 5-August 06
From: United States
Member No.: 2,240



Gourcuff came on in the 90th minute to earn his first cap I believe. Hopefully one of many (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Milan Are Brilli...
post Aug 20 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #155


Berretti
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 12,004
Joined: 1-August 05
From: Torquay
Member No.: 90



QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 20 2008, 09:45 PM) *
2-2. Joe Cole in the 92nd minute. You just saved Capello's @ss my friend.

Joe Cole is saving the England team and some people believe we are going to challenge for the World Cup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Tennie
post Aug 20 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #156


Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 12,435
Joined: 13-November 06
From: Washington, DC
Member No.: 2,800



Watching the replay of Italy-Austria. The defending in the first half (particularly the centerbacks) is...not good. I'd perhaps give more responsibility to Barzagli, but that was just sad.

The early reports in Italy are hinting that Gattuso's shoulder injury is probably not overly serious.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Tennie
post Aug 20 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #157


Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 12,435
Joined: 13-November 06
From: Washington, DC
Member No.: 2,800



PS on the Italy-Austria game: did nobody else notice Ciro Ferrara on the Italy bench, scribbling furiously?

--

One result that I'm really glad to see is this one: Wales 1 - 2 Georgia.

I've got nothing against Wales (not being a sheep) but the win's a good emotional boost to Georgia at a time when they need it.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Tennie
post Aug 20 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #158


Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 12,435
Joined: 13-November 06
From: Washington, DC
Member No.: 2,800



(from bbc)

QUOTE
The Football Association has confirmed chief executive Brian Barwick is to leave his post at the end of the year.

The decision was taken after weeks of discussion between FA chairman Lord Triesman and Barwick over his role within English football's ruling body.

Triesman is the FA's first independent chairman and has been responsible for looking at the way it is structured.

"I'm sad to be leaving, but it's in the best interests of all parties," said Barwick in a statement.

Barwick oversaw the appointment of Steve McClaren as England coach as well as installing Fabio Capello as his successor.

The Italian was diplomatic when asked for his reaction to Barwick's departure following England's laboured 2-2 friendly draw - a game watched by the crestfallen chief executive - with Czech Republic at Wembley.

"It's not my problem, it's the board's decision," said Capello. "I'm a friend of Brian's and also of the chairman."

BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard said the relationship between Barwick and Triesman had "crumbled" since the arrival of the FA's first independent chairman.

"FA sources have acknowledged the chairman and Barwick have disagreed over the future direction of the organisation and the role of the chief executive," said Legard.

"His crumbling relationship with the chairman means he will have left well before the benefits are felt."

Triesman added: "On behalf of everyone at the FA, I would like to express my sincere thanks to Brian for the stability and growth that he has brought to the organisation.

"Brian leaves with our best wishes for the future, and will always be welcome back as our guest at Wembley."

Barwick is the fourth chief executive the FA has lost in less than 10 years, but he can point to the opening the new Wembley Stadium as well as the negotiation of a new television deal for the FA as some of the successes of his tenure.

Another part of the Barwick legacy was the green light given to the National Football Centre at Burton.

Most European countries have national football centres, but approval for Burton has taken the best part of a decade.

If those were the successes, Barwick had to bear the brunt of the criticism for the way Sven-Goran Eriksson was replaced.

Barwick was spotted flying to meet current Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, then in charge of Portugal's national team, claiming the Brazilian had not been offered the job when the current Chelsea boss decided against it after all.

The FA's insistence on appointing a manager before the start of the 2006 World Cup, thereby ruling out a number of candidates, also drew fierce criticism.

"I have always endeavoured to do my job with passion, decency and integrity, and I believe I am leaving a strong legacy for the future," said Barwick reflecting on his time as chief executive.

A former editor of BBC's Match of the Day and producer of Football Focus, Liverpudlian Barwick was appointed by the FA in November 2004 three months after a sex scandal forced out his predecessor, Mark Palios.

Barwick quit his job in television as controller of ITV Sport to take up the FA position in January 2005.

Barwick had left the BBC in 1998 to join rival ITV, where he had helped secure coverage of the Champions League and 2003 Rugby World Cup.


For what it's worth, I think this is good news for English football.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
acid911
post Aug 20 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #159


Berretti
**********

Group: Helpers
Posts: 13,937
Joined: 26-February 08
From: Always Around
Member No.: 3,736



QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 21 2008, 03:39 AM) *
I've got nothing against Wales (not being a sheep) but the win's a good emotional boost to Georgia at a time when they need it.

+1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I guess not having Kaladze Calamity playing in your team sure does have it's privileges.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
dst
post Aug 21 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #160


Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 23,206
Joined: 20-November 05
From: Athens, Hellas
Member No.: 911



LaPalma, that kid Marko Marin scored a wonderful goal today against Belgium. I think you've told us about him before and I have to admit I wasn't really paying attention but I know now I should have...

(IMG:http://www.todo-fichajes.com/cutenews/data/upimages/marin.jpg)

Download it here (credit to hondo of SP forums)

edit: Made a search on mf and found some posts about him. It seems that Milan were linked with him too! Here

This post has been edited by dst: Aug 21 2008, 01:23 AM
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
kurtsimonw
post Aug 21 2008, 05:12 AM
Post #161


Prima Squadra
************

Group: Helpers
Posts: 30,194
Joined: 11-March 07
From: Birmingham, England
Member No.: 3,660



QUOTE (Kaka Is Brilliant @ Aug 20 2008, 10:34 PM) *
Joe Cole is saving the England team and some people believe we are going to challenge for the World Cup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Stupid really.

But we're a very weird team. We were truly shocking yesterday, yet a respectable nation couldn't beat a shocking England, unfortunately we never play well enough to see how good we really are.

JT gave a pretty accurate interview after the game, he says if they performced like they all did at club level then there would be no problems, but for one reason or another they can't perform like that.. playing Gerrard on the left doesn't help for a start. I dunno what's wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

QUOTE (Tennie @ Aug 20 2008, 11:43 PM) *
For what it's worth, I think this is good news for English football.

He was the guy who appinted Capello, so I wonder who will replace him.. surely it's got to be somebody that likes Fabio otherwise a managerial change at this point in time will be disaster!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Jack Sparrow
post Aug 21 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #162


Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 14,924
Joined: 19-May 06
From: Bangalore,India
Member No.: 1,865



Saw the England match. I was very disappointed to say the least. I know it's only Capello's fifth match, but he's picked in his first team, more or less the classiest players England have to offer.

Sorry kurt, but I thought Gaz Baz was pretty lousy. England were getting killed on the counter, and not really launching much counters of their own. (A Capello team, that cannot counter attack??!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) )

I think the problem here seems to be having two box to box mid-fielder being asked to provide creativity. They need an orchestrator and a true game breaker, And for God's sake, when the only striker with any creativity and technique seems to be Rooney, stop playing him as a fantasista. Defoe doesn't stand a prayer of scoring against any sort of organized defence. Or maybe it was just yesterday. He was so darn predictable.

I just didn't get the game play. Without pacy players in the team, you can't expect to play counter attacking football. But without any true orchestrating mid-fielders like Deco/Pirlo/Xavi you can't play build-up football either.

The Czech were just looking to hit on the counter.

The plus point was to see England fight back, with some amount of purpose, than just seem to throw people in the hope that something would happen.

Thought Beckham was very good. Switching play well etc. Personally I thought, where Capello got it wrong was in bringing in a narrow formation and assuming that his fullbacks would provide flank support. Czechs launched some nice attacks exploiting the space the fullbacks left.

I would have gone for this...

Brown---Rio---Terry---Cole
-----Barry----Hargreaves
---Lamps---Stevie----Cole--
----------Rooney----------



Without the double pivot, England will get killed.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
kurtsimonw
post Aug 21 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #163


Prima Squadra
************

Group: Helpers
Posts: 30,194
Joined: 11-March 07
From: Birmingham, England
Member No.: 3,660



EDIT: Long post/rant on England. Skip if you feel you must. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 21 2008, 05:19 AM) *
Saw the England match. I was very disappointed to say the least. I know it's only Capello's fifth match, but he's picked in his first team, more or less the classiest players England have to offer.

Sorry kurt, but I thought Gaz Baz was pretty lousy. England were getting killed on the counter, and not really launching much counters of their own. (A Capello team, that cannot counter attack??!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) )

The trouble Capello has got himself into now is that players like Ashley Young and Joleon Lescott, who should clearly be in the England squad, have been given no time at all on the field as they aren't even being picked. So now if we're playing poorly in qualifying, he can't go and use these guys since he just doesn't know how they'll play for England. Poor management, I have to say.

Yes, Barry was poor. But he wasn't able to play HIS game unfortunately. He is the most complete midfielder we have on the team and I really believe that. His defensive play in superior to that of any other English midfielder.. but that means people falsely label him a DM. He finished 3rd in the EPL assist table last season and finished with 9 goals.. and people call him a DM?

It's quite clearly Capello's system that doesn't allow for counter attacking football. Barry does just fine at club level, as does Gerrard and Lampard.


QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 21 2008, 05:19 AM) *
I think the problem here seems to be having two box to box mid-fielder being asked to provide creativity. They need an orchestrator and a true game breaker, And for God's sake, when the only striker with any creativity and technique seems to be Rooney, stop playing him as a fantasista. Defoe doesn't stand a prayer of scoring against any sort of organized defence. Or maybe it was just yesterday. He was so darn predictable.

I just didn't get the game play. Without pacy players in the team, you can't expect to play counter attacking football. But without any true orchestrating mid-fielders like Deco/Pirlo/Xavi you can't play build-up football either.

I think asking Lampard to be creative is a bit of an ask. He does pick up his fair share of assist, but he's not exactly an inch perfect type of passer. Barry is a must, and this isn't me being biased, I couldn't care less who the players play for, I want the best for England. Rooney is an awkward one, I'm not sure he's the greatest lone striker ever, but that's the only available spot on the team for him really.

I agree with this.
QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 21 2008, 05:19 AM) *
The plus point was to see England fight back, with some amount of purpose, than just seem to throw people in the hope that something would happen.

Thought Beckham was very good. Switching play well etc. Personally I thought, where Capello got it wrong was in bringing in a narrow formation and assuming that his fullbacks would provide flank support. Czechs launched some nice attacks exploiting the space the fullbacks left.

I would have gone for this...

Brown---Rio---Terry---Cole
-----Barry----Hargreaves
---Lamps---Stevie----Cole--
----------Rooney----------



Without the double pivot, England will get killed.

We did fight back towards the end, and for me this is because they stoped playing Capello football. You can't put the likes of Joe Cole, Gerrard and Lampard in a team and expect to play posession football. That's like telling a sprinter to pace himself, they just don't play like that.

Beckham was alright, and our opening goal came from a Beckham set-peice. I really believe that's the only reason he's in the team though, for his set plays. And again, not to be biased, but we have a perfectly good two footed left winger in Ashley Young. The left side has always been a major problem for England since McManaman finished and now Young has come onto the scene and been amazing for us. He's not just the winger type player we need, but he's also great with free-kicks, whether he's crossing them or going for goal. Villa lead the league in goals from set-peices last season. We have Ashley Young as our right footed option and Gareth Barry as our left. Stick them both in the damn team and stop lettin Gerrard take control of everything!

I think the full-backs can give support, if they're the right guys. Wes Brown is a decent defender, and to his credit did a good job getting forward yesterday.. but he's not going to be able to do that every game.

I'd go with..

----------------------- James ------------------------

Richards ---- Ferdinand -- Terry ---- Ashley Cole

--------------- Carrick ---- Barry ------------------

Joe Cole ----------- Gerrard -------------- Young

----------------------Rooney -----------------------

-James is the best with got. Not good enough, but he's our best.
-Ashley Cole and Micah Richards know how to get forward and they can both defend well.
-Carrick and Barry in my opinion are the two most vital players that Capello can pick. They can both win the ball back and have great awareness so they can create chances from nothing and don't give up the ball too easily.
-Gerrards best role, in my opinion, is when he plays behind Torres for Liverpool, and it works very well. Hopefully it can cotinue here for England.
-Young and Cole both good with the ball, able to beat defenders and both score enough goals to pose a big threat.
-Not so sure Rooney is best on his own up there, but with 2 'DMs' Gerrard can join in and his ariel ability should compensate for Rooneys height.

If we can find a keeper, then this time will be fine in my view. We'd still have guys like Beckham, Lampard, Crouch, Hargreaves, etc. on the bench to change things if all isn't well.. At least we agree on the formation, Jack, and most the players. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Aug 21 2008, 05:49 AM
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
Jack Sparrow
post Aug 21 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #164


Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 14,924
Joined: 19-May 06
From: Bangalore,India
Member No.: 1,865



Yep...I hadn't included Richards in it. I've never seen him play. Thinking he was a converted CB, I presumed, he'd be the solid type. Not too offensive.

As for why I didn't put Carrick, I thought putting a pure game breaker like Hargreaves would mean, Barry would be given more freedom to make passes, as well as go out left to either cover the gap Cole leaves, or to overlap with Cole.

Carrick and Barry would mean, they'd have too much pressure to cover for each other defensively, while also not playing to their complete offensive skills.

Perhaps England could also do something like a 4-4-1-1

-----Hargreaves----Gerrard----
---Young--------------------------Barry--
---------------Rooney------------------
----------Heskey-----------------------




Heskey is cr@p, but he really seems to sync up well.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'd probably have Gerrard and Barry rotate in the game. Since Stevie's got enough talent to play on the flank and cut in on his right foot.

Also I'm sure Young and Cole would be effective with that tall figure of Heskey in.

However Rooney has to absolutely stop drifting to the flank. He's the only person with any brains/composure inside the penalty box. And if he drifts wide...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)


-
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

 
kurtsimonw
post Aug 21 2008, 06:43 AM
Post #165


Prima Squadra
************

Group: Helpers
Posts: 30,194
Joined: 11-March 07
From: Birmingham, England
Member No.: 3,660



QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Aug 21 2008, 06:38 AM) *
However Rooney has to absolutely stop drifting to the flank. He's the only person with any brains/composure inside the penalty box. And if he drifts wide...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

That's one thing that annoys me. For United he gets away with it because Ronaldo is always ready and willing to move up into a striker position. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

As for RIchards, he's an athlete really, so he has the ability and pace to get down the wings and then get back to defend with no poblem at all. Would rather him than Brown personally.

Both Croatia and Ukraine won their friendlies. These two look like they'll be the main threats in the group stage. I'll be very happy if we can get a draw in Zagreb on Sep 10!

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Aug 21 2008, 06:44 AM
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post


313 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2026 - 12:45 AM