han2503
post Aug 9 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #1

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

Pippo opens Champions account

A goal from Pippo Inzaghi on his 33rd birthday gave Milan a 1-0 lead against Red Star Belgrade in the Champions League preliminary round.

The Rossoneri had only a couple of weeks to prepare for this preliminary round at San Siro after the Calciopoli appeal revoked the earlier decision to rule them out of Europe altogether.

Coach Carlo Ancelotti had to do without the injured Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Nesta, while new signing Daniele Bonera was suspended. Therefore 40-year-old Billy Costacurta led the defence and Kaka started behind Alberto Gilardino and 33rd birthday boy Pippo Inzaghi, effectively ending the rumours of a summer switch to Real Madrid for the Brazilian.

It was Red Star who had the first chance after 90 seconds when Costacurta was dispossessed, but Dida came to the rescue with a good save on a Georgiev Blagoy side-foot finish. Moments later Milan also threatened with Clarence Seedorf wasting two good opportunities created by Andrea Pirlo and Marcos Cafu, then Gilardino just failed to tap in a taut cross from the impressive Cafu.

The Brazilian veteran was in scintillating shape after the World Cup and Gilardino nodded his chipped assist straight at the goalkeeper. Kaka had a slow start, but after 19 minutes his change of pace left the defence stranded and a shot beaten away.

Milan eventually broke through with a splendid team goal finished off by the birthday boy. Some wonderful one-touch football came through to Gilardino and then Kaka, whose slide-rule pass found Super Pippo Inzaghi for the strike at the near post – his 53rd in European competition.

Inzaghi nearly made it 2-0 on the half-hour, but a pinball inside the area couldn’t find the final ricochet past a panicked Randelovic. Red Star were still dangerous on occasions with a Nikola Zigic header over the bar, but Milan were comfortable and Gaj was booked for hauling down Gennaro Gattuso when he had a clear run at goal. It was only a yellow card because the foul occurred just past the centre circle. A lucky deflection fell to Inzaghi, but his shot looped over off a defender.

The second half started in similar fashion with Pirlo’s long-range free kick beaten away, but Blagoy went close when his effort from outside the area skimmed the bar. Pirlo sent Cafu running and the goalkeeper somehow scrambled the ball away from Gilardino from six yards.

The former Parma striker is still looking for his first Champions League goal and wasted a great opportunity from point-blank range, spinning Kaka’s shot at the ‘keeper. Moments later Gilardino’s glancing header brought a fine one-handed save out of Randelovic, then the Belgrade shot-stopper denied Seedorf’s piledriver.

Massimo Ambrosini replaced Gilardino, pushing Kaka further up in support of Inzaghi for the closing stages, while Cristian Brocchi replaced the excellent Cafu and Yoann Gourcuff made his official Milan debut. Dario Simic’s woeful lobbed backpass almost got Dida into trouble, but Zigic fouled the Brazilian to let Milan off the hook.

Ancelotti’s side go to Belgrade on August 23 with a 1-0 lead, but it could’ve been so much more if their forwards had been a little more level-headed within sight of goal. Considering the brief period of time they had to prepare, it was an impressive overall performance in front of over 50,000 fans.

Milan 1-0 Red Star Belgrade
Scorers: Inzaghi 22 (M)

Milan: Dida; Cafu (Brocchi 79), Simic, Costacurta, Serginho; Gattuso, Pirlo (Gourcuff 81), Seedorf, Kaka; Inzaghi, Gilardino (Ambrosini 72)

Red Star Belgrade: Randelovic; Pantic, Bisevac, Gaj, Perovic (Tutoric 66); Basta, Kovacevic, Milovanovic (Dokic 81), Blagoy; Jankovic (Krivokapic 89); Zigic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Costacurta
post Aug 10 2006, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Esordienti B 96

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 1,611

Another clean sheet with Billy at the helm!

Although it would have been nice if we could have converted more of our apparent domination into golas, at least it will mean that we remiain focused for the second leg. With delayed start to Serie A we should be able to put our best available XI out again.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Aug 10 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #3

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Costacurta @ Aug 10 2006, 03:07 AM)
Another clean sheet with Billy at the helm!

Although it would have been nice if we could have converted more of our apparent domination into golas, at least it will mean that we remiain focused for the second leg. With delayed start to Serie A we should be able to put our best available XI out again.

Yeah .. I definatly think Milan will be better prepared for the second leg .. btw, Costacurta was a rock .. I swear he is exactly what Carlo said about him 'he has enthusiasim as a 20 yr old'

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 10 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #4

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:10 AM)
Yeah .. I definatly think Milan will be better prepared for the second leg .. btw, Costacurta was a rock .. I swear he is exactly what Carlo said about him 'he has enthusiasim as a 20 yr old'

Totally right, the only times they looked a bit shaky was when high balls came in and they had to deal with the tall Zigic but other then that bot him and Simic impressed me

+Quote Post

amancik
post Aug 10 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #5

Milanfan to Death

Member No.: 11

Gilardino man! ... Carlo should put Boriello on ...

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Aug 10 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #6

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (amancik @ Aug 9 2006, 06:32 PM)
Gilardino man! ... Carlo should put Boriello on ...

LOL... You know what I was thinking? We should play Gila as WF or something... Seriously the guy is perfect when it comes to linking up with other players and teamwork, but his finishing really leaves something to be desired... He didn't play badly... He just couldn't score... You know what I mean? Hope he will score soon though...

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 10 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #7

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Aug 10 2006, 12:39 AM)
LOL... You know what I was thinking? We should play Gila as WF or something... Seriously the guy is perfect when it comes to linking up with other players and teamwork, but his finishing really leaves something to be desired... He didn't play badly... He just couldn't score... You know what I mean? Hope he will score soon though...

That's what I have been saying in another thread, he might be the only CF that is not selfish.

The other reason why we didn't score more was because they where practically all playing in their own box, that's why one of Gila's chances was aimed at the keeper, because he was serrounded by 4 players and he couldn't do anything but shoot through the only opening he had, plus he had a great header that was saved by a keeper that seemed to be having a great night. He only screwed up on one header because he hit it too softly but other then that I would say that he had a pretty good game

+Quote Post

Costacurta
post Aug 10 2006, 01:59 AM
Post #8

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 1,611

Ahh that makes my day!

As for Gila, he certianly is a far more capable player on the ball than many people give him credit for, and is perhaps closer to Sheva in that respect than I, for one, may have not noticed until recently. Still, I hope he gets a goal in Eurpoe soon. Then a cascade of them! Milan will certianly need it if they are to get anywhere this year in Europe.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Aug 10 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #9

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Costacurta @ Aug 10 2006, 03:59 AM)
Ahh that makes my day!

As for Gila, he certianly is a far more capable player on the ball than many people give him credit for, and is perhaps closer to Sheva in that respect than I, for one, may have not noticed until recently. Still, I hope he gets a goal in Eurpoe soon. Then a cascade of them! Milan will certianly need it if they are to get anywhere this year in Europe.

Yea Gila has to start scoring, that is his job .. Hopefully soon * fingers crossed*

+Quote Post

DvZ
post Aug 10 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #10

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 21

and congrats to Pippo for scoring the winning goal...

is the guy really 33? his form doesnt really said anything about 33

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 10 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #11

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Cafu, Pirlo and Gattuso were AMAZING. I don't think we need a RB after all, seeing that we have Simic and Bonera in that position too. The defence was very solid, Red Star never had a chance except the one in the very first minutes. Otherwise, we ruled the match and should have scored at least two other goals. Patience, we'll have more time to prepare for the return match and players like Kakà or Gilardino will be in top form.

+Quote Post

aaron
post Aug 10 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #12

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 344

wow i'm happy that we won
and KAKA is not going anyway
now REAL can shut up

+Quote Post

milanista1899
post Aug 10 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #13

Esordienti A 95

Member No.: 735

I saw the game last night and I've read everything you guys have said in this thread. You've all made some great points - some of which make me feel a bit better about the fact we only scored 1 goal.

From the looks of things, Dida has put his dodgy last season behind him. Cafu really surprised me, he did great. I don't know what Carlo was thinking putting Simic (who's like an inch tall) at CB against Zigic, who's taller than Crouch, seriously the guy's a giant! Serginho looked poor in defence - he needs to be in an attacking role & I thought he should've come off for Jankulovski.

Look no further for our new Captain, Rino's a legend! O.m.g Seedorf? his worst game ever! Think of really rusty then x it by 10, I lost count of how many times he lost the ball! Ok, he had 1 decent effort but it was deflected off the defender & the 'keeper did very well to react - he should have been man of the match.

Gila linked up well as usual even if he was quiet for long periods, but he must have a CL curse on him cos he scored goals for fun in the league last season. And he'd normally have buried that header. Gourcoff came on for only a few mins & wasted a great chance, but as he's new I'll let him off. I'll save the best till last - Pippo was incredible on his 33rd birthday, he deserved and should have had a tripletta! A bit like Billy - age is no obsticle! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by milanista1899: Aug 10 2006, 04:24 PM

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 10 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #14

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

O.m.g Seedorf? his worst game ever! Think of really rusty then x it by 10, I lost count of how many times he lost the ball! Ok, he had 1 decent effort but it was deflected off the defender & the 'keeper did very well to react - he should have been man of the match.

What was wrong with Seedorf he was great last night. At least I thought so, he was deinately not losing the ball if anything he was WINNING a lot of balls. As I said in another thread he and Pirlo where orchastrating everything in midfield and controled the tempo of the match as they pleased

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Aug 10 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #15

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 10 2006, 09:36 AM)
What was wrong with Seedorf he was great last night. At least I thought so, he was deinately not losing the ball if anything he was WINNING a lot of balls. As I said in another thread he and Pirlo where orchastrating everything in midfield and controled the tempo of the match as they pleased

I agree.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:29 AM