han2503
post Nov 29 2020, 05:26 PM
Post #511

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 29 2020, 05:15 PM) *
Oh, I'm happy. I just don't agree with the way we play most of the time. For example, ball possession tonight was 56-44% for Fiorentina. You'll obviously say Fiorentina didn't create that much, but had it been a stronger side hardly we wouldn't have conceded.

But I guess at the end of the day what matters is the 3 points. I only hope this mentality doesn't bite us back in the long run.

Look I get your worries.

But the thing for me is that, we've played the so called better sides, and we pulled through. What we do today vs Fiorentina, is not necessarily the approach we would take against Juve, or Inter for example.

The game vs Napoli, we really pressed them, and did not allow them to play the way they like to play. Today, I don't think that was the game plan at all. An you see the clear difference there and imo, if we needed to, we had more gears to turn, but the early goal never necessitated that.

Once again, I understand why you're sceptical of this team, we've been lead down rabbit holes before where we had good runs and then they just end and we start back from scratch. But we've been seeing this team improve gradually since the start of the new year. We also saw some really special performances this summer that we have not replicated as of yet, but I'm personally confident that we'll get there. As a team, we generally hit good form in February, that's always been the case, it's why we're always clawing back and never make it in the end because our starts are usually so bad. This season we've started well, we're not producing scintillating play as of yet, but we're winning, and they are not fluke wins. We're playing generally well in all the games we've played. Even the 2 games we lost points we arguably should have won
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

William405
post Nov 29 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #512

Allievi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 7,239

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 29 2020, 07:15 PM) *
Oh, I'm happy. I just don't agree with the way we play most of the time. For example, ball possession tonight was 56-44% for Fiorentina. You'll obviously say Fiorentina didn't create that much, but had it been a stronger side hardly we wouldn't have conceded.

But I guess at the end of the day what matters is the 3 points. I only hope this mentality doesn't bite us back in the long run.

I'm not sure it's a menality thing X-Off. In the contrary, I think the strong mentality of the team and the cohesiveness in the squad is the reason we are doing so well. We are still not producing amazing football, I agree. But that is inevitable with the missing players. Also, Rebic I don't think is 100 percent. Sael was a beast considering he is recovering from injury. With all that, I still think we had a good game. Very stable defensively. Controlling the tempo when needed. The possession stat is irrelevant as it doesn't really translate into game control in the way we are playing in my opinion. There were some nice 1-2's between Cala and Diaz, but they weren't giving concrete final opportunities. I still think we need some key reinforcements in January to keep this going. But, I'm certainly in love with this Milan.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 29 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #513

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

And btw, we were missing Zlatan and Bennacer today, who are crucial elements for us. Rebic was a bit frazzled up there by himself, we were not giving him the right passes and he was drifting too wide. Still, his work rate and sacrifice for the others is always impressive.

Alexis and Calabria were top notch of that right side. Kessie was good as always, Tonali still a question mark for me, he is showing some improvement though. Hakan was in and out of the game, same with Diaz. Theo was okay, nothing special today. once again, no Rebic on his side and he doesn't find the right spaces to operate in

Anyone know when we get either Leao or Ibra back? We really need to work on getting a striker in that winter mercato. Absolutely imperative at this point.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 29 2020, 05:35 PM
Post #514

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (William405 @ Nov 29 2020, 05:31 PM) *
I'm not sure it's a menality thing X-Off. In the contrary, I think the strong mentality of the team and the cohesiveness in the squad is the reason we are doing so well. We are still not producing amazing football, I agree. But that is inevitable with the missing players. Also, Rebic I don't think is 100 percent. Sael was a beast considering he is recovering from injury. With all that, I still think we had a good game. Very stable defensively. Controlling the tempo when needed. The possession stat is irrelevant as it doesn't really translate into game control in the way we are playing in my opinion. There were some nice 1-2's between Cala and Diaz, but they weren't giving concrete final opportunities. I still think we need some key reinforcements in January to keep this going. But, I'm certainly in love with this Milan.

This is the be all end all of our season. We need 2/3 really smart signings this winter. I really hope they have players in mind so we can be efficient with our time in January and do all our business early

The CB, CM and ST areas are a serious injury away from ruining our entire season imo

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 29 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #515

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 29 2020, 05:26 PM) *
Look I get your worries.

But the thing for me is that, we've played the so called better sides, and we pulled through. What we do today vs Fiorentina, is not necessarily the approach we would take against Juve, or Inter for example.

The game vs Napoli, we really pressed them, and did not allow them to play the way they like to play. Today, I don't think that was the game plan at all. An you see the clear difference there and imo, if we needed to, we had more gears to turn, but the early goal never necessitated that.

Once again, I understand why you're sceptical of this team, we've been lead down rabbit holes before where we had good runs and then they just end and we start back from scratch. But we've been seeing this team improve gradually since the start of the new year. We also saw some really special performances this summer that we have not replicated as of yet, but I'm personally confident that we'll get there. As a team, we generally hit good form in February, that's always been the case, it's why we're always clawing back and never make it in the end because our starts are usually so bad. This season we've started well, we're not producing scintillating play as of yet, but we're winning, and they are not fluke wins. We're playing generally well in all the games we've played. Even the 2 games we lost points we arguably should have won

I know, and like I said after the Napoli game I've come to accept the way we play. We don't play great football, we let too much initiative to the opponent, we're not pretty to look at and we certainly don't have world class players in our roster except for 39 year old Zlatan.

What's making the difference is that we're a cohesive unit, as William put it. We're well organised, there's great spirit of sacrifice from everyone, we don't make that many mistakes in defense, and we try to take advantage as much as possible of the chances we create. We're a cynical team.

Can we hold this up in the long run? It's to be seen. I certainly hope at least we make CL football next season, cos that is vital.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 29 2020, 05:56 PM
Post #516

QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 29 2020, 05:32 PM) *
And btw, we were missing Zlatan and Bennacer today, who are crucial elements for us. Rebic was a bit frazzled up there by himself, we were not giving him the right passes and he was drifting too wide. Still, his work rate and sacrifice for the others is always impressive.

Alexis and Calabria were top notch of that right side. Kessie was good as always, Tonali still a question mark for me, he is showing some improvement though. Hakan was in and out of the game, same with Diaz. Theo was okay, nothing special today. once again, no Rebic on his side and he doesn't find the right spaces to operate in

Anyone know when we get either Leao or Ibra back? We really need to work on getting a striker in that winter mercato. Absolutely imperative at this point.

Agreed with your player considerations. I also want to point out again how freaking great Kjaer is. There was a moment when Fiorentina put the ball in the middle from the left, Bonaventura was about to score, yet Kjaer with a quick glance saw his movement behind him and anticipated his shot. That's world class CB stuff, if you allow me to say it. 75% of defenders would have stayed still in a situation like that.

Also, Romagnoli was a great as well today for a change.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 29 2020, 07:45 PM
Post #517

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 29 2020, 05:56 PM) *
Agreed with your player considerations. I also want to point out again how freaking great Kjaer is. There was a moment when Fiorentina put the ball in the middle from the left, Bonaventura was about to score, yet Kjaer with a quick glance saw his movement behind him and anticipated his shot. That's world class CB stuff, if you allow me to say it. 75% of defenders would have stayed still in a situation like that.

Also, Romagnoli was a great as well today for a change.

Agreed

Kjear and Donna have become so consistently good that we tend to overlook/take for granted what they're bringing to this team

Romagnoli just needs to get into his stride again after a long time out

+Quote Post

CrazyMilanFan
post Nov 29 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #518

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,873

Watched the 2nd half we looked okay and stable enough to closeout the game. This has been missing for last few seasons in my opinion.

+Quote Post

William405
post Nov 29 2020, 08:28 PM
Post #519

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 29 2020, 07:53 PM) *
I know, and like I said after the Napoli game I've come to accept the way we play. We don't play great football, we let too much initiative to the opponent, we're not pretty to look at and we certainly don't have world class players in our roster except for 39 year old Zlatan.

What's making the difference is that we're a cohesive unit, as William put it. We're well organised, there's great spirit of sacrifice from everyone, we don't make that many mistakes in defense, and we try to take advantage as much as possible of the chances we create. We're a cynical team.

Can we hold this up in the long run? It's to be seen. I certainly hope at least we make CL football next season, cos that is vital.

"We're a cynical team" that's such a perfect description of this team.

Totally agree, CL is for me, and for all of us I think, the most crucial target for a future long-term success of Milan.

+Quote Post

William405
post Nov 29 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #520

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 29 2020, 07:53 PM) *

"We're a cynical team" that's such a perfect description of this team.

Totally agree, CL is for me, and for all of us I think, the most crucial target for a future long-term success of Milan.

+Quote Post

William405
post Nov 29 2020, 11:45 PM
Post #521

Allievi Regionali B

The Napoli that we beat last week destroyed Roma. Some perspective... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 30 2020, 12:05 AM
Post #522

QUOTE (William405 @ Nov 29 2020, 11:45 PM) *
The Napoli that we beat last week destroyed Roma. Some perspective... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And we tied with Roma. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Danny
post Nov 30 2020, 12:41 AM
Post #523

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 29 2020, 05:15 PM) *
But I guess at the end of the day what matters is the 3 points.

Always will, my friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

William405
post Nov 30 2020, 08:28 AM
Post #524

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 30 2020, 02:05 AM) *
And we tied with Roma. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But, again, we could have won, and no one would have said it's a steal.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 30 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #525

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (William405 @ Nov 30 2020, 08:28 AM) *
But, again, we could have won, and no one would have said it's a steal.

Missing Donna in that game is what cost us in the end. If Donna had been there, we'd have won that.

Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk.

Napoli were a team possessed yesterday, the Maradona factor playing a huge part. That being said, it's still a testament to how we're playing and approaching each individual game with the right strategy.

+Quote Post

157 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:51 AM