Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kalac, Zeljko Kalac

misha
post Dec 8 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Allievi Regionali B

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 787

FOR close on 16 months, Zeljko Kalac, by his own admission, was nothing more than a glorified cheerleader for Italian giant AC Milan.

While delighted to be at the famous Serie A club, the towering goalkeeper was resigned to the fact that the imposing presence of Brazilian star Dida would relegate him to picking up the occasional bit-part roles in minor competitions such as the Copa Italia.

All he could rely on, at best, was a game here or there in the Serie A whenever Dida was injured or was rested because of a heavy club and international workload.

It certainly proved that way in the first 15 months, with the Australian reduced to just four matches, two in the Serie A in the 2005-2006 season and two in the Copa Italia this season.

A lesser player would have been tempted to chuck it in and seek shelter at a smaller club and thus at least guarantee himself regular match appearances, especially given he was involved in a fierce tussle with Mark Schwarzer for the Australia goalkeeping spot leading up to the World Cup.

Kalac, though, never thought of giving up. He looked on being at AC Milan as a "privilege and an honour".

"Players around the world dream about being at a club like Milan," he said in an interview four months ago. "I can't be unhappy being here. No way. It is exciting to be part of such a famous outfit."

Kalac's patience and determination has paid off, for the cheerleader has now become the cheered.

A serious knee injury to Dida that will sideline him for at least two months has thrust Kalac into the spotlight and he is determined to stay there.

Having sat on the bench for so long, he is now in the early stages of playing eight matches in the space of four weeks.

It started with a 1-0 win over Messina in the Serie A on November 25, followed by a Copa Italia 2-1 win over Brescia, a 2-2 draw in the Serie A with Cagliari last Sunday and a Champions League match against French club Lille on Wednesday.

"The famine has turned in to a feast," Kalac said this week as he prepared for the game against Lille, which the six-time European champion subsequently lost 2-0. It had already qualified as group winner for the next stage.

"That's what happens in football. One minute you are wondering if you'll ever get to play again, then next thing you are wondering how you are going to cope with the workload.

"Still, I know what position I'd rather be in."

Kalac admitted that the long stretch "twiddling my thumbs" had played with his mind a little.

"The doubts do creep in," he said. "It's only natural. You start wondering whether you'd still cut it on the field when you get the chance. It can be tough.

"You train and train and train, but you know, no matter how well you do, there is going to be nothing to show for it because you will still be on the bench."

The hardest part for Kalac has been adapting from the small field games at training to the big picture of a serious match.

"Strange as it may sound, it takes a bit of getting used to when you finally get to a play game because you have been so conditioned to training in tight situations in small-sided games," he said.

But it did not take the 33-year-old Kalac, who has been something of a lucky charm for Milan whenever he has played, long to adjust.

He was man of the match by making a string of spectacular saves in the draw with Cagliari last week.

"I got the highest marks (seven out of 10) of all the players in all the newspaper ratings, so I was happy with that," Kalac said. "My form has been pretty good and I think the goalkeeping coaches and the boss are happy with me."

Kalac, who has another year of his contract to go, says the return to playing has done wonders for him.

"I'm a rejuvenated man," he said. "I'm excited and happy. I have this renewed energy and I feel like I'm starting my career all over again. It's a weird feeling, but one I am enjoying."

Despite now playing regularly, Kalac says he is not thinking about overturning his decision to retire from international duty. He played his last game for the Socceroos in a friendly against Paraguay in Brisbane on October 7.

"No, that was it for me. I've had my time at that level," he said. "I enjoyed being part of the Socceroos and I don't have too many regrets. I played at the World Cup finals and that was a highlight for me."

Dida's contract expires at the end of the season and Kalac is unsure what plans the club or Dida has. As for himself, he would like to stay but said there is interest from at least two clubs.

"The question is: do I want to go to a lesser club that struggles, but where I play regularly or do I stay here, fight for the No.1 spot and still have the satisfaction of being part of a famous club? I guess we will just have to wait and see what develops," Kalac said.

link
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

han2503
post Dec 9 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #2

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

I like what he said, but it still doesn't change my mind about him.

He's just not a good keeper

+Quote Post

armiss
post Oct 25 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 3,312

Kalac: I'm Not Stealing Dida's Place

The Australian goalkeeper was impeccable in goal for Milan on Wednesday evening as he made some important saves for the Rossoneri in their 4-1 win against Shakhtar Donetsk.

Zeljko Kalac replaced the suspended Dida with flying colours as the veteran goalkeeper made sure that the Ukranian champions would not score more than one goal against the Rossoneri at San Siro last night.

He proved decisive in a couple of occasions when the result was still 2-1 and in the end he proved fundamental for Milan's win.

"When Milan loses, someone must take the blame: it's easier to give them to the goalkeepers, but we don't see it this way," declared Kalac to defend Dida from the recent criticism.

"We continue to do our job, all three of us goalkeepers at Milan are good. Then situations pass and even the criticism."

Kakac has no intention of taking the Brazilian's number one spot at the club.

"I'm calm, I'm the second goalkeeper and Dida is the number one," explained the Australian goalkeeper. "Between us there is no problem, but if they tell me to play, I will play."

Thank You so much (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

nuh
post Nov 22 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 1,284

this guy has a gd heart and could be very gd

+Quote Post

arivanjj
post Dec 11 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #5

7th Heaven

Member No.: 821

(IMG:http://www.m5zn.com/uploads/004ee1277c.jpg)
(IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

anano1214
post Dec 16 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #6

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 2,571

Thanks arivanjj

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Dec 16 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

Happy birthday to Zeljko Kalac!

+Quote Post

arivanjj
post Dec 16 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #8

7th Heaven

Member No.: 821

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Dec 16 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #9

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

Happy Birthday Giant!! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Dec 16 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #10

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

It's his birthday too, Happy B-day big guy (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

misha
post Dec 16 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #11

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 787

Double celebration (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Happy Birthday!!

+Quote Post

amancik
post Dec 16 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #12

Milanfan to Death

Member No.: 11

Happy Birthday!

He's not a good goalkeeper but I like his spirit!

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jan 25 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #13

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

Kalac explains Dida demons

Milan reserve goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac believes that first choice Nelson Dida is struggling due to psychological factors.

Kalac filled in for yesterday’s 2-1 defeat against Atalanta as Dida is still sidelined with injury.

After costly mistakes in several games this term, Dida’s claim to the No 1 shirt has been called into question and Kalac thinks he understands why the Brazilian shot-stopper is struggling.

“Perhaps Dida is mentally tired,” the Australian international suggested. “Concentration is the most important thing as you can’t have a good game without it.

“That’s the only reason I can come up with because we are working well physically in training.

“I believe that a goalkeeper needs to be relaxed and calm and it’s different at a big side like Milan to the smaller teams.

“The pressure is four times greater when you play for Milan because this is a club built to win and so any error represents points lost. (EXACTLY)

“You have to be a bit mad to be a goalkeeper because you get a lot of stick that other players avoid.”

While Carlo Ancelotti has reiterated emphatically that Dida remains top of the pecking order at San Siro, Kalac concluded by insisting that there was strong competition for the Rossoneri gloves.

“Physically, I’ve never been in better condition in my career and I am at my best right now,” he grinned.

“Here at Milan there are three good ‘keepers as there is also Valerio Fiori in addition to myself and Dida. In my opinion Fiori would be first choice at any other squad.”

Kalac is set to start between the posts as the world champions entertain Genoa this weekend.

Bravo Kalac (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jan 25 2008, 03:18 AM
Post #14

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

So basically he doesn't have the mentality to play for Milan and can't take the pressure. Bye-bye Dida.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Jan 25 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #15

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

bye bye dida? more like GTFO AND HURRY IT UP. PAY HIM THE RELEASE CLAUSE AND GET IT OVER WITH.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:37 PM