> Torres Is Staying With Atletico

dst
post Jul 25 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

Fernando Torres has pledged his immediate future to Atletico Madrid.

The 22-year-old Spanish international striker, who enhanced his growing reputation at the World Cup this summer, had been coveted by Manchester United as a possible £20 millon-plus replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy.

But Torres held a press conference in Madrid today and announced: "I want to stay. If I had wanted to leave Atletico Madrid I would have done it years ago.

"I feel fine here. There has been a lot of discussion about my possible exit but I am here for another year."

His representative, Antonio Sanz, had earlier hinted that Torres would stay, saying: "The player's intention is to remain at Atletico Madrid.

"Neither us, nor the club, has received an offer from Manchester United, or any other clubs for that matter."

Torres has been Atletico's top scorer in each of the last four seasons, and has become an automatic choice for the Spanish national side.

Sanz added: "Torres has two years left on his contract with Atletico and then we will see what happens.

"After the World Cup, there has been interest from Italian clubs but not from English clubs, and there hasn't been anything concrete."

Speculation about the striker's future intensified after Atletico coach Javier Aguirre told Spanish newspaper Marca that Torres' destiny at the Madrid club looked uncertain.

He said: "I've spoken to Fernando and he hasn't been able to guarantee his presence in the team in the forthcoming season.

"The market is still open and a lot of things can happen, but it is clear that every day that passes is one day less for something to occur.

"What I want to make clear, though, is that Fernando has a great commitment to the club."

That commitment has been underlined by the player's decision not to pursue a possible move to Serie A or the Premiership.

Goal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:43 AM