2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Goal.com special:Who is Milan's Player of the season?, Join Goal.com's Peter Pedroncelli to see who was the stand-out per

I_Rossoneri
post May 4 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Allievi Regionali B

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 558

Milan are a team who need no introduction for most football fans, but if you are new to the European football scene, and your first taste of the beautiful game on the old continent came this year in the UEFA Champions League, you would be forgiven for requiring a refresher course on the Italian giants.

Winners of the 2007 edition of Europe’s top club competition, the Rossoneri came fifth in Serie A last season, thereby forfeiting their place at the pinnacle of club football to Fiorentina. This left Milan with a clear and achievable goal for the current season, to win the Scudetto.

This Scudetto prize is elusive at this stage, and only a flop from Inter would allow their cousins to take the title, but the most successful club in the world have virtually secured Champions League qualification, and the team can look forward to their return to the competition for next season.

These final few weeks in Serie A will still determine Milan’s final spot in the Italian top-flight, but a second or third place finish is on the cards. In other competitions this season, Milan faltered earlier than expected, dropping out of the Coppa Italia at the hands of Lazio, before ending their UEFA Cup run against Werder Bremen due to the away goals rule, and a certain Brazilian goalkeeper.

Below is a list of five nominees in no particular order. I then cast my vote at the bottom before leaving it up to you, the readers, to have your say.

1) Paolo Maldini: The captain is in his final season with the Rossoneri, and it will be a sad day for many football fans when the great defender hangs up his boots for good. His is, however, by no means a nomination only out of respect for a long and incredible career, but rather a testament to a great final season, where the number three led by example once again, playing over 25 games and defending with vigour at the ripe old age of 40-years-old.

2) Christian Abbiati: The return of keeper Abbiati gave stability and protection to a defence that was full of holes during the last campaign. Despite suffering an injury that ruled him out of the last few months of the season, he has been a rock for the Rossoneri and his saves have been worth many points in the Serie A title race, keeping eleven clean sheets.

3) Alexandre Pato: The youngster has been in fine form all season, scoring 14 goals in 32 Serie A appearances, while adding five assists to his statistics in the top-flight. The skilful Brazilian striker has mesmerised defences in the Italian league with his pace and spectacular dribbling ability, while completing his good work with powerful and accurate finishing.

4) Filippo Inzaghi: Despite being injured for a few months during the current campaign, Inzaghi’s form in front of goal has been astonishing in the last two months, his exploits including two hat-tricks and 16 goals from 28 games in Serie A and UEFA Cup action combined, proving that experience is worth a great deal indeed.

5) Kaka: No Milan list would be complete without mentioning the ever-present attacking influence of Brazilian midfielder Kaka. He has not had his best season, but his contribution has been undeniable, scoring 15 goals and providing six assists thus far in Serie A alone.

My vote: Alexandre Pato. My vote goes to the player who has been the most influential and consistent throughout the 2008/2009 season. Pato has impressed and is improving at a staggering rate with the Rossoneri, and it will be interesting to see how this youngster does in the years to come.

Who gets your vote as Milan’s Player of the Season? Goal.com wants to know what YOU

Goal.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 4 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

Pato

He was the most consistant, most present player throughout the season.

This post has been edited by han2503: May 4 2009, 02:32 PM

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post May 4 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Paolo. But that's a given. So Pato. Though I have a feeling if Rino hadn't got injured, it might have been him.

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post May 4 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #4

Allievi Regionali B

Pippo for me. I agree that Pato has been excellent but Pippo's 36 and playing like he's 26! 16 goals in 28 games is an astonishing amount for a 36 year old playing at the highest level.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post May 4 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #5

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I agree. But Pippo's been really magical only over the past few months. His performance over the whole season has been a little less, primarily because of injury. Pato on the other hand has bravely shouldered the burden of carrying our attack. Even in the months when Kaka was injured. I kinda think it's very remarkable.

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post May 4 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #6

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ May 4 2009, 03:25 PM) *
I agree. But Pippo's been really magical only over the past few months. His performance over the whole season has been a little less, primarily because of injury. Pato on the other hand has bravely shouldered the burden of carrying our attack. Even in the months when Kaka was injured. I kinda think it's very remarkable.

I agree that Pato has worked extremely hard this season and has played very well indeed, but IMO Pippo is a match decider while Pato is still learning. I even remember Pato saying something along the lines of "I wish my goals won us games", once he turns into a match decider then he can be considered a player of the season.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post May 4 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #7

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

Pato

+Quote Post

dst
post May 4 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #8

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

How can they put an immortal in the same list with a fascist, a delinquent, a zombie and a guy with no facial hair!?

+Quote Post

CrazyMilanFan
post May 4 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #9

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,873

QUOTE (dst @ May 4 2009, 10:41 PM) *
How can they put an immortal in the same list with a fascist, a delinquent, a zombie and a guy with no facial hair!?

who is the zombie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post May 4 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #10

Dida per sempre

Member No.: 3,563

QUOTE (dst @ May 4 2009, 02:41 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by MizNelson: May 6 2009, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 4 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #11

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (I_Rossoneri @ May 4 2009, 03:21 PM) *
Pippo for me. I agree that Pato has been excellent but Pippo's 36 and playing like he's 26! 16 goals in 28 games is an astonishing amount for a 36 year old playing at the highest level.

x2.

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post May 5 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #12

Dida per sempre

I have to say Pato, off-pitch idiocy notwithstanding. The fact that a nineteen-year-old is (or was) leading us in scoring speaks volumes, and he's only going to get better.

We know what to expect from Pippo already.

+Quote Post

Ry4n
post May 5 2009, 05:31 AM
Post #13

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 932

SUPER PIPPO INZAGHI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE KING OF KINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOAL SCORER SUPREME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

This post has been edited by Ry4n: May 5 2009, 05:33 AM

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post May 5 2009, 06:29 AM
Post #14

Dida per sempre

Gosh, don't be so damned indecisive, Ry4n. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post May 5 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #15

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

The reason I don't think Inzaghi is the player of the season while he's been on red hot form recently is because the season started back in September 2008. when did Inzaghi start to score goals as consistently as he is now (which is pretty much his only contribution)? two months ago. beside that, he's yet to score against any big side; it's mostly been mid or bottom table teams.

Pato on the other hand did his job against tougher sides as well (Inter, Juve, Roma and Fiorentina among others) which had it not been for shambolic defending, they wouldn't have been so unfairly overlooked now! not to mention the fact that he was fairly consistent throughout the whole season.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:00 AM