Closed TopicStart new topic
> [SP] La Liga 2011-12

kurtsimonw
post Jul 6 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #1006

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

The reason I don't break up Xavi/Iniesta is because I've never seen 1 play without the other long enough to judge how they cope on their own.

Of course Barca score more, because Messi is better than Fabregas/Negredo/Torres.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jul 6 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #1007

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

Well..it's really simple coz I watched long hours of Barca when they were still likeable, coz I was pretty awed.

The guy who plays farthest from goal is always the most crucial in their gameplay. So it's Xavi.

Iniesta, I find in the league to be not so crucial, because the quality of their opponents is really not that complex. So Cesc, Alcantara, Pedro even have slotted in that role. Iniesta is dead important for them in CL though coz he's just brilliant in tight spaces, in vision, and in making that through ball in the final third. He can also make great runs.

Xavi is important, because they rarely have a transition type of play like a Mourinho team, where a tackle won high up the field is always followed by a pass into attack. Maybe coz Barca have no Drogba type player or Ronaldo type player.

When Barca win the ball, they always try to gain their position and form that passing quadrant they need. Attacker-Winger-Mids....or Attacker-fullback-winger-mid etc. So often you see a pass back to a safe mid like Busquets or Xavi, who then starts the attack all over.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 6 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #1008

Prima Squadra

But I still haven't seen much of one without the other. I do think Xavi is better, but would he look as great without Iniesta in the side? I'm not sure. Like you say, he's so good in tight spaces that he is basically ALWAYS available for a pass, making Xavi's role easier.

I think the Xavi/Pirlo role is the most important in football at the moment as it's so difficult to shut down. England made the mistake of going 4-4-2, making it impossible to stop Pirlo. Parker is great at breaking up play, but if he moved out to close Pirlo it'd leave too much space for Montolivo/De Ross/Marchisio.. it's very difficult to try and contain. Damn frustrating as a fan of the opposing team as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Jul 6 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #1009

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

It's funny how Messi is only considered a product of Xavi and Iniesta when he was a revelation from his first season when Xavi and Iniesta were nowhere near as good as they have become.

this time I really won't talk about this anymore as there's obviously no point...

well, hopefully.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jul 6 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #1010

Berretti
Group Icon

Member No.: 90

Xavi has been class for years (waayyy before the Messi loving started). You must have been watching another team.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jul 6 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #1011

Prima Squadra

Xavi and Iniesta have also won 2 Euros and 1 World Cup in the past 4 years, without Messi. So that arguement holds little weight. 2008 they won the Euros, Messi scored 10 league goals OMG!

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Jul 6 2012, 07:12 PM

+Quote Post

68 Pages V  « < 66 67 68
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:39 AM