Guests cannot vote 

Tennie
post Nov 22 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #16

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

Well, Stewie has one less competitor (he's working awfully fast at eliminating the competition!).

BBC is reporting that Jose Mourinho has ruled himself out of the running for the England NT job.

link
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Nov 23 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #17

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

WEBFLASH: Manager Committed
Martin O'Neill has reaffirmed his commitment to Villa, insisting: "I want to complete the job!"

Speculation on O'Neill's suitability for the England managerial vacancy has been rife since Steve McClaren was dismissed yesterday.

But O'Neill today pledged his future to the club by stating he is committed to finishing the job he started 16 months ago.

He said: "I know where the speculation has arisen from because I was involved in the interview process the last time. I was not a club manager at the time, and if that opportunity (England) had arisen and I had been given that chance, that would have been a different matter.

"But I am here now and I'm committed to Aston Villa Football Club. This is what I want to do.

"I want to do this job. I've started it and I want to drive it forward. This is what I want to do.

"We're nowhere near completed at all. In fact, we're just starting and I want to complete this job."

Villa Official Site

(IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

O'Neill and Mourinho out of the running.

Capello is now favourite, with Harry Redknapp a close 2nd. Klinsmann is also on the list, yeah, over my dead body.

+Quote Post

bigmacmtl
post Nov 24 2007, 04:06 AM
Post #18

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,592

Big Mac resume:

2 season coaching Pointe-Claire U12...

i'm working on it guys

This post has been edited by bigmacmtl: Nov 24 2007, 04:12 AM

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Nov 24 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #19

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I go with the Canadian bloke. At least he'll come cheaper. Enough cash left over for the WAGs to go shopping.

+Quote Post

bigmacmtl
post Nov 24 2007, 07:18 AM
Post #20

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,592

hehhe if i'm voted in i promise to play as an AM behind the strikers so we can enjoy his lanky legs dribble past defenders!

+Quote Post

arivanjj
post Nov 24 2007, 07:25 AM
Post #21

7th Heaven

Member No.: 821

job accepted
(IMG:http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/koukla31/ththnakedstewie.gif)

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Nov 24 2007, 07:26 AM
Post #22

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I wonder why no one talk about Klinsmann being a favourite. I was under the impression, he didn't want to coach anymore. It turns out that, he does.

Klinsmann has got the credentials, and his football is good to see. He also speaks perfect English, and is a former EPL player of the year. Would be a good move I think.

Of course, we all know how he is will goal keepers though. Perhaps just better than Domenech. And that is the problem England will have. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Nov 24 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #23

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 24 2007, 06:26 AM)
I wonder why no one talk about Klinsmann being a favourite. I was under the impression, he didn't want to coach anymore. It turns out that, he does.

Klinsmann has got the credentials, and his football is good to see. He also speaks perfect English, and is a former EPL player of the year. Would be a good move I think.

Of course, we all know how he is will goal keepers though. Perhaps just better than Domenech. And that is the problem England will have. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I think you'll find 99% of this country would rather have McClaren or no manager at all than Klinsmann. The FA know it'll be their heads if they appoint yet another manager the fans and press don't agree with.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Nov 24 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #24

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Nov 24 2007, 03:21 PM)
I think you'll find 99% of this country would rather have McClaren or no manager at all than Klinsmann. The FA know it'll be their heads if they appoint yet another manager the fans and press don't agree with.

Maybe that is one of the BIGGEST problems that revolve around why the national team isn't living up to the hype. IMO, England NT is gonna need a whole lot more to start winning competitions than thinking about what the press say or what the fans reaction would be.

Take a look at Italy, they were crucified time and time again from the press .. Their fans didn't believe it could be possible, and they won the world cup.

Milan is also another example, last season being the mother of all examples IMO, with the press and fans doubting this old team can pull it off ... But did the club care ?! Did the players stress on about it and gave up ?! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

England is blessed with great players and all, but the challenge for glory would start when the FA start to disregard what the press print or what the fans call for .. I don't know a solution, as I lack a lot in terms of analyzing, BUT when a national team as BIG as England is constantly failing, it's easy to see where the problem(s) might be.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Nov 24 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #25

Prima Squadra

But Milan and Italy both have an Italian manager, there's no problem there. It's nothing to do with what the fans and press think, it's what they want. The FA didn't listen to us last time, and look what happened.

I wouldn't say England have constantly being failing either. It's not just our fans that hype us up, its everyone else. I don't see how 3 straight QF appearances is a failure myself, I was very proud of that acheivement, especially since two of those exits were through penalties.

I believe you need a motivational manager from your own country. Klinsmann to me is way off the man we need. 1) He's not English, not just that, he's German 2) he's had one job in his managerial career. Yes, he made the SFs of the World Cup, but it's alot easier when every game is at home. and 3) he just wouldn't be passionate enough about the England job. That's not exactly his fault, if I took the Germany job I wouldn't do my best either.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Nov 24 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #26

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

U missed my point, completely Kurt.

What I am saying is, what the FA need to do is get a manager despite what the general public think or how the press react to it the next day .... Kind of like what Milan does, we just fume and fume in here, but do the club care ?! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) They go from success to success without even taking us into consideration (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

On the England NT,No !!! quarter finals are not achievements, (u sound like an inter fan saying that (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ) ... quarter finals are what teams like Sweden or Denmark target (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (no offense to any Swedes or Danes)

the english FA has to change it's ways now ... They need someone who can blow some fresh air into the team, someone who can forge a team out of the brilliant players that you guys have ... And that someone doesn't have to get the press or fans blessing before he's appointed. <-- This is all I'm saying.

p.s. What has passion got to do with what we're talking about ?! If klinsmann were to consider the england job, he'd be giving it 100%, as it would add something to his CV. I mean, If Hiddink faces Holland in this EC, would he loose passion because he's playing against the Dutch (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

This post has been edited by Rossoneri7: Nov 24 2007, 02:13 PM

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Nov 24 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #27

Token Girl
Group Icon

I'm a little surprised there's so much press indicating Capello as a favorite for the job. He's a top-class manager, sure enough, but it's my impression (and I may be wrong here) that the average English fan doesn't like 'defensive' football -- and really, Capello has almost always placed an emphasis on his teams' defense. There's also the personality thing - Capello is going to have no patience with the English press (with good reason, I think. No offense to Englishmen, but guys, your press is often very much like a pack of hyenas) and absolutely none with the personality cults around 'untouchable' players.

So...while he may be the most skilled coach for the job, I don't necessarily see him fitting in, as it were.

PS - I think the English stress on 'passion' is overdone. What England needs is a coach who can ensure the players are at least able to pass the damn ball effectively -- something they showed little evidence of being able to do in their last game with the lone exception of Beckham's pass in to Crouch. Passion and trying your hardest isn't going to do anyone a bit of good if your players just arent' up to it or if they care more for their 120K a week club paychecks than playing for their country.

This post has been edited by Tennie: Nov 24 2007, 02:20 PM

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Nov 24 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #28

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Nov 24 2007, 01:11 PM)
On the England NT,No !!! quarter finals are not achievements, (u sound like an inter fan saying that (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ) ... quarter finals are what teams like Sweden or Denmark target (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (no offense to any Swedes or Danes)
because he's playing against the Dutch (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Obviously you believe the hype then?

Making QFs shows you're one of the best teams in the World (Around 5th-8th) when you're ranked 12th, like the England NT has been around that mark for a while now, ii's a good thing. Obviously failing to make this tournement is a bad thing. And the difference between us making the SF of the last two tournements has been penalties. If you're saying this team is a failure because they lose a lottery, then that's an outrageous thing to say, that has nothing to do with how good the team is.

QUOTE (Tennie)
What England needs is a coach who can ensure the players are at least able to pass the damn ball effectively -- something they showed little evidence of being able to do in their last game with the lone exception of Beckham's pass in to Crouch

We pass the ball fine. It just so happens our last two games were played on plastic and mud. Not the best footballing surfaces.

QUOTE (Tennie)
He's a top-class manager, sure enough, but it's my impression (and I may be wrong here) that the average English fan doesn't like 'defensive' football -- and really, Capello has almost always placed an emphasis on his teams' defense.

English football is heavily based on defense. There are very few England teams that I can recall that have been very offensive. The fans have never seemed to mind it too much.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Nov 24 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #29

Token Girl
Group Icon

But Kurt there's a huge massive difference between English defense and Italian defense.

And the 'but we played on mud' defense re: Croatia isn't valid. The Croats were playing on the selfsame pitch and didn't have too much of an issue with passing.

What I'm saying -- and I don't mean to sound like I hate England, because I don't - is that I think that there's a general lack of technical skills in a lot of the English players. Yes, there are individuals who have skills but really...the most complete player is Gerrard. Lampard has a hell of a shot but not much else. Beckham is good at set pieces, but as a DM? Nah. Even Scholes, who I think is the best English midfielder still playing (though retired from internationals) can't tackle and never could. In honesty, I see more individual skill in the U21s. There are some good young players there. And more importantly, they actually seem to CARE that they're playing for their country and play as a cohesive unit.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Nov 24 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #30

Prima Squadra

I have to disagree with you there. Lampard is the most complete player we have. People tend to just agree with the media when it comes to Lampard as they love to hate him. The numbers for him last season showed why he was voted 2nd best player in the World not too long ago. He lead the team in tackles, crosses, pass completions among other things. Gerrard has the fortune of playing in a very average midfield with the likes of Pennant, Sissoko and others every week, which makes him look alot better. Lampard has to compete with the likes of Essien.

But 'skill' shouldn't come into it. Afterall, Italy won the World cup with De Rossi and Gatusso in the midfield.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'There's a massive difference between English defense and Italian defense'.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Nov 24 2007, 03:07 PM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:06 AM