> 24/04/07 - CL - Man Utd v Milan

misha
post Apr 25 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #571

Allievi Regionali B

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 787

Ancelotti: We gifted Man Utd win

Carlo Ancelotti was left to rue mistakes in Manchester. “We dominated for an hour and a draw would have been the right result.”

Milan were leading 2-1 at Old Trafford, yet conceded a stoppage-time goal for the 3-2 defeat in the Champions League semi-final.

“It’s disappointing, but we were foolish and gifted Manchester United the victory when a draw was probably the more accurate reflection of the game,” said the Coach.

“We fell back in the final stages, couldn’t move the ball around the same way and gave away a silly deciding goal in stoppages.

“We knew Manchester never give in and that there would be moments of difficulty, as they are very aggressive and play at a high tempo. The shame is that we played better for an hour, but in turn that gives us more confidence for the second leg. We’re in better shape than we were in the Bayern tie at this stage.”

The Rossoneri drew 2-2 on home turf in the first leg against Bayern Munich, but went on to qualify by winning 2-0 in Munich.

The game seemed to change in Manchester when Gennaro Gattuso was stretchered off with an injury, as that changed the balance of the midfield.

“Gattuso picked up a knock to his foot and we obviously hope he can recover. He is a very important player for us – the heart and soul of the team.”

The star of the show was undoubtedly Kaka, who bagged a brace at Old Trafford.

“Kaka could have netted a hat-trick, but that was our last real chance before we handed Manchester United the reins. I think it was above all a psychological problem, as we became afraid and tried to cling on to the result. That is a dangerous approach, as at this level you risk being overcome.

“The key was that we were too static in possession. The full-backs were worried about protecting their wings, so we were forced to play the long ball and Alberto Gilardino was stuck between their centre-backs. We did great for an hour, less so towards the end.”

A 3-2 defeat is not a bad result away from home, especially considering that Manchester United took the lead after just six minutes.

“We conceded on a set-piece, but after 15 minutes we really got into gear and for an hour were excellent. We did very well to limit Cristiano Ronaldo, who was hardly ever really dangerous when he came forward.”

Oddo takes the blame 

Massimo Oddo praised Wayne Rooney, but insists his winning goal could have been avoided at Old Trafford.

“I think this result is not negative for Milan,” said the defender after their 3-2 defeat to Manchester United in the Champions League semi-final.

“Obviously it would have been better as a draw, but unfortunately as a team we made a completely avoidable error in stoppages.”

Cristian Brocchi gave the ball away in midfield and Rooney was able to give United a 91st minute winner at Old Trafford.

The two teams face off again on May 2 and Oddo maintains a place in the Athens Final is still very much up for grabs.

“I believe the second leg and qualification are within our grasp if we play as we know how at San Siro.”

Oddo also defended teammate Nelson Dida, who seemed shaky, particularly when flapping a Cristiano Ronaldo header into his own net after six minutes.

“Dida was unlucky in the first goal and the second with the ricochet. I think Rooney scored a great goal for the third, as nobody expected him to hit it first time like that. I doubt any goalkeeper would stop it.”

Galliani: Gattuso loss the key

Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani believes the turning point in the 3-2 Old Trafford defeat was losing Paolo Maldini and Gennaro Gattuso.

“I think we were penalised by the double injury, as you feel the difference when champions like Maldini and Gattuso go off. We gave away the ball for the third goal as well, but 3-2 away from home is not a bad result and we should keep our heads up,” said the transfer guru.

The Rossoneri were leading Manchester United 2-1, but succumbed to a stoppage-time Wayne Rooney goal.

“I believe that Manchester are not the favourites to go through, as it remains 50/50. At this level there is incredible balance and it was only broken here at the 91st minute, but there are another 90 to go.

“Clarence Seedorf set up a great chance for Kaka that could have gone 3-1 up. Without wanting to do down Daniele Bonera or Cristian Brocchi, if Maldini and Gattuso had stayed on I doubt we would have lost tonight. The fact remains when Rino went off we were winning 2-1.”

With the second leg at San Siro on May 2, it is possible both players will also be ruled out of that match.

“Maldini’s knee is swollen. He did not receive a knock, it was a recurring problem. Gattuso has a great deal of pain in the sole of his foot and has trouble even walking at the moment. We will have to see what the medical staff tell us tomorrow.”

The highlight for Galliani was without doubt Kaka’s brace, winning the duel with Cristiano Ronaldo.

“Despite seeing that other great champion Cristiano Ronaldo tonight, I continue to believe Kaka is the best in the world. He’s the top scorer in the Champions League with nine goals and can give his best in this role as support striker, which also serves to balance out the midfield.”

Yet Kaka’s incredible form has helped to hide deficiencies in the other strikers in Europe this term, as Alberto Gilardino was disappointing.

“I think almost all great teams have a player who makes the difference. Gilardino was physically dominated tonight and worked hard. We have Ronaldo at home who cannot play in this competition, but next season he will give a big hand to Milan in the Champions League,” added Galliani.

“Had we not conceded in stoppages, we would be here talking about an extraordinary Milan performance. We conceded a late goal against Bayern Munich as well, this seems to be our destiny, but we overcame that and can do so again.”

Milan had drawn 2-2 in the first leg of that Champions League quarter-final at San Siro, only to win 2-0 in Germany.

“After the first leg against Bayern we were far more worried and upset than we are now. Manchester are a great side, but we can beat them in San Siro.

“Manchester are extremely aggressive on home turf and I think they will lose that edge on their travels without this crowd pushing them on.”

Milan went 1-0 down after just five minutes thanks to a Nelson Dida howler on Cristiano Ronaldo’s header.

“Dida, like all goalkeepers, can have a mistake and then make up for it. I don’t feel he should be blamed, football is all about incidents and these things can happen. It was a lucky goal for United.

“We should all stay calm, as I am sure Milan are entirely capable of overturning this result in the second leg. As I said, 3-2 away from home is not a bad result.”

Sir Alex hails "magnificent chance"

Sir Alex Ferguson and Ryan Giggs are confident Manchester United can maintain their lead in the second leg at San Siro.

The Premiership outfit had to fight back from 2-1 down at Old Trafford to sneak a stoppage-time 3-2 victory over Milan.

"We kept playing our football, some of which was fantastic, and dominated the second half,” said the Coach.

"Some of the football we played was absolute quality, really top class. We've got a magnificent chance now."

The Rossoneri are in confident mood after netting two away goals, but the Red Devils are equally buoyant ahead of the May 2 decider.

"We're in front and they know that - it's a really big game now,” Sir Alex noted. “They have got a really difficult game on their hands now. (Paul) Scholes' pass for (Wayne) Rooney's equaliser was fantastic, just a little flick, but what a pass."

Giggs respected the role Milan played in this Champions League semi-final and admitted the two away goals could prove crucial.

“At the start of the game we tried to keep a clean sheet. We weren’t able to do that and have to give credit to Milan, who scored two great goals with Kaka,” commented the Welshman on Sky Italia television.

“We fought back and I think we got what we deserved in the end for the intensity with which we played.”

Much was said before the game of the rivalry between Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo and Giggs gave his verdict.

“I think probably Kaka and Ronaldo are the two top players in the world at the moment.

“Kaka scored two goals tonight and Cristiano has been extraordinary all through the season. It’s all a matter of opinion and some will say Kaka, but I see him close up every day and I vote Ronaldo.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Apr 25 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #572

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 24 2007, 05:45 PM)
A captain does NOT get a yellow card like the one Gattuso got in the game at Ascoli and a captain does not get into silly fights in the opposition's wall... That's only from the last two games... When there's such an important game like this one you can't be running around all over the place when there is no freaking reason!

Can't you see the bloody difference? Maldini has a problem with his knees and that's holding him back while Gattuso was 100% fit and got tired while he could have saved some energy...  (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I agree on that Maldini's fitness is a constant bother but being the captain of this team is something he has won with his presence in the last 20 years and can't be taken away just like that. You are comparing two entirely different personalities and you ain't gonna prove nothing doing that. Try telling me why Rino should be captain instead... and then tell me why Nesta shouldn't.

Maldini has a physical problem... Gattuso too, he has a faulty brain!

Why should Gattuso be the captain? I can't really think of much, but hey, I'll give it a try:

He has been here the longest after Maldini, Costacurta & Ambrosini. He has fighting spirit. Giving up is not in his dictionary. He is a fair player. He works hard. He doesn't slack. He is a champion. He knows about sportsmanship. He knows how to motivate the team. He respects others. He has loads of experience. He is a worthy player. He is a true Milanista. Hist heart beats for this club.

This post has been edited by pKillerMax: Apr 25 2007, 01:00 AM

+Quote Post

arivanjj
post Apr 25 2007, 01:02 AM
Post #573

7th Heaven

Member No.: 821

god, i can't get next week outta my head. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Apr 25 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #574

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Apr 25 2007, 02:59 AM)
Why should Gattuso be the captain? I can't really think of much, but hey, I'll give it a try:

He has been here the longest after Maldini, Costacurta & Ambrosini. He has fighting spirit. Giving up is not in his dictionary. He is a fair player. He works hard. He doesn't slack. He is a champion. He knows about sportsmanship. He knows how to motivate the team. He respects others. He has loads of experience. He is a worthy player. He is a true Milanista. Hist heart beats for this club.

That would make a good captain. BUT, in my view, Gattuso also does many silly things that a captain wouldn't do; he complains all the time and he's always involved in fights. These things do not help the team, they only make him a crowd favorite. He's also not skillful enough to be a captain... I think that a captain must have a greater presence than Gattuso's, the hard worker and passionate type is not enough.

Anyway... we won't ever agree (which is good) and we're not the ones that have to make the decision anyway (which is also good. just imagine us two coming into conclusion... what?)!

This post has been edited by dst: Apr 25 2007, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Apr 25 2007, 01:11 AM
Post #575

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 24 2007, 06:10 PM)
That would make a good captain. BUT, in my view, Gattuso also does many silly things that a captain wouldn't do; he complains all the time and he's always involved in fights. These things do not help the team, they only make him a crowd favorite. He's also not skillful enough to be a captain... I think that a captain must have a greater presence than Gattuso's, the hard worker and passionate type is not enough.

When was the last time he got in a fight with anybody? (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Apr 25 2007, 01:13 AM
Post #576

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Apr 25 2007, 03:11 AM)
When was the last time he got in a fight with anybody? (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Saturday April 21 2007 vs Cagliari.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Apr 25 2007, 01:16 AM
Post #577

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 25 2007, 03:10 AM)

A captain is a leader, Gattuso is no leader, he is the heart of this team, yes ... he is the soul of this team yes .... But he is no leader, a leader is someone strongly willed. I guess I am just trying to compare everyone to Maldini, and failing at every attempt.

Still, when Maldini retieres, Gattuso is the closest bet to a future captain. Especially that he is now more experienced at the top, that he knows how to handle pressure well. Keane was a hot head as is Totti and that never stopped them from captaining their respective teams ..

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Apr 25 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #578

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 24 2007, 06:13 PM)
Saturday April 21 2007 vs Cagliari.

I have no idea what you call a fight...

+Quote Post

dst
post Apr 25 2007, 01:23 AM
Post #579

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Apr 25 2007, 03:17 AM)
I have no idea what you call a fight...

You're right, me neither... fight as in a high-powered argument without kicking and punching... (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

He was involved in such a "fight" when the ref was trying to arrange the opposition wall.

edit: my wrong, it was on 4min 48 secs and it was Milan's wall. Marchini gets in the wall (there's no rule against that) and Gattuso starts pushing him around... several players had to get in the way. That's NOT what a captain does!

This post has been edited by dst: Apr 25 2007, 01:32 AM

+Quote Post

m1ke
post Apr 25 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #580

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Woah! Just got back - I'm like a bad luck charm (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I thought we played well in the first half (I had half of the North stand starring at me as I celebrated Kaka's 2nd goal (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) ). The crowd at OT were impressive, but the San Siro will be better. We've got two away goals, and a 1-0 or 2-1 will see us through. If we can't beat Utd on home turf, we don't deserve to reach the final anyway.

I think we can do it, but I'd love to see us play with 2 strikers for the 2nd leg.

+Quote Post

arivanjj
post Apr 25 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #581

7th Heaven

Member No.: 821

QUOTE (m1ke @ Apr 25 2007, 11:06 AM)
I thought we played well in the first half (I had half of the North stand starring at me as I celebrated Kaka's 2nd goal (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) ).
(IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If we can't beat Utd on home turf, we don't deserve to reach the final anyway.
i agree.

I think we can do it, but I'd love to see us play with 2 strikers for the 2nd leg.
well, it might be a good idea, maybe play Oli next to Pippo. cause Pippo will certainly need support.

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post Apr 25 2007, 03:37 AM
Post #582

Dida per sempre

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,563

NOBODY on any forum has even bothered to notice that Gilardino was completely obstructing Dida at the time the ball was tipped to score the opener. Watch the highlights and you'll see that Gila's arm is in his face the whole time.

+Quote Post

tom_valtellina
post Apr 25 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #583

Pulcini Provinciali 98

Member No.: 3,653

dst and pKillerMax.....I think you guys will just have to agree to disagree. Both Gattuso and Nesta are senior players at Milan and will have a strong claim to the captaincy when Maldini retires. Both would make good captains. Splitting them is too hard for us because we don't know who the real leader is in the dressing room AS WELL as on the pitch. Let's just worry about overturning Man U at the San Siro!

+Quote Post

tom_valtellina
post Apr 25 2007, 06:52 AM
Post #584

Pulcini Provinciali 98

Member No.: 3,653

About the game...3-2 is not a terrible result, although it is very disappointing to concede a goal in injury time. The way I see it, it is almost the same as a 0-0 result in the sense that we simply must win at home, while a draw will not be enough.

Reasons for confidence:

1) Man United's away record in Europe this season isn't great. They lost to Celtic 1-0, Copenhagen 1-0 and Roma 2-1 (they did thrash Benfica in Portugal though).

2) We can afford to rest key players on the weekend while Man United are playing Everton and with Chelsea breathing down their necks they do not have the same luxury.

3) Evra is suspended for the second leg and Man United will need to rearrange their defence again. Word is that Ferdinand may be fit, otherwise they will need to play Fletcher at right back even though he played very well for them in midfield in the first leg.

Reasons to doubt:

1) Maldini will struggle to be fit. Nesta and Bonera don't look convincing together yet and our defence looked particularly shaky in the second half.

2) Kaka is our only consistent goalscorer in CL this season. Gilardino was almost completely anonymous last night, I can barely remember him getting the ball. I think we definitely need Inzaghi for the second leg but I don't know if he will be fit either.

3) Man United will put up much more of a fight than Bayern did. Bayern this season have looked very unconvincing. As last night's match demonstarted, Man United will fight tyo the very end.

4) Defensive lapses. As has been mentioned by others, we can't expect to win the CL if we continue to concede goals in injury time. Dida made some great saves and kept us in it for a while but was badly out of position for the last goal. Goalkeepers should NEVER get beaten at their near post, no excuses. It was the same story with Van Buyten's second goal at the San Siro.

+Quote Post

florenti1
post Apr 25 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #585

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 1,983

I don't understand how can a team runs for 90 minutes with such intensity like manchester does
They are on drugs or something?

Anyway
all it needs is a team that runs as much as they do because from technical point of view MILAN is at least one class over them

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 09:21 PM