> Platini Wants Clubs Debt-Free In Three Years

amancik
post Jun 26 2008, 07:52 AM
Post #1

Milanfan to Death

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 11

UEFA president Michel Platini is ready push through his scheme to wipe out mass debts in football, revealing he hopes all clubs across Europe will be licensed within three years…

Platini is determined to introduce a licensing system that would see clubs who continually spend above their means removed from European competition.

Many view the Frenchman’s plans as an attempt to curb the influence of English football, as he has been far from secretive regarding his distaste for the spend-happy approach of the Premier League’s biggest clubs.

His stance is not totally unwarranted, given Chelsea and Manchester United collectively boasted some ₤1.5billion in unpaid debts according to the recent figures from Companies House.

But Platini insisted the move will affect Spain and Italy as much as England, saying: "In three to five years I want to resolve the situation of debt, which does not apply only to England. It's the second part of my programme."

Some observers believe the ongoing saga surrounding the future of Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo is indicative of football’s current financial folly.

Real Madrid are prepared to pay ₤70million for the Portuguese superstar, a fee that would smash the previous world-record of ₤46million, which los Merengues paid Juventus for Zinedine Zidane in 2001.

But Platini, who has been so critical of England’s penchant for exactly this type of transfer activity, believes such a transaction is only problematic if the Spanish capital club do not have the funds outright.

"If Real Madrid pay €100m for a player that's OK if they have the money," he said. "If they don't it's a worry."

Mike Maguire
Goal.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree 100% cuz that's what I think Milan's doing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:00 AM