han2503
post Jun 23 2014, 10:48 AM
Post #856

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Jun 23 2014, 06:58 AM) *
Just when I was going to be so scathing on Ronaldo, who to be fair isn't fully fit. He produces that cross, as good as a goal to be honest, on a platter. It's not completely out of the question to see the goal swing.

However, Portugal look awful, Nani is an incredibly average player. Ronaldo just seems to get frustrated with what is around him. Moutinho/Meireles have been awfully disappointing too.

Been a fantastic group to watch for neutrals though.

Too bad Ronaldo isn't in the form he was in when they played Sweden.

The players Portugal have all range from average to mediocre, Ronaldo can't do it on his own, especially when it's very obvious that he's not all quite there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jun 23 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #857

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

No excuse. Suarez was in surgery 4 weeks ago. You don't have to be fully fit to make a difference. And Ronaldo just stank last night bar that one killer cross. Which...made said difference.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jun 23 2014, 03:17 PM
Post #858

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 23 2014, 03:07 PM) *
No excuse. Suarez was in surgery 4 weeks ago. You don't have to be fully fit to make a difference. And Ronaldo just stank last night bar that one killer cross. Which...made said difference.

Ronaldo calling his NT poor and disrespecting his teammates. Well, we all know Portugal are not the strongest of teams participating, but FFS show some respect. Portugal is a proud nation and their NT did their best given, that is all that the team could have done.

Messi, the world's best IMHO does not have this attitude. Even when Argentina, who's nation believe they are favorites in several additions of the WC, did not criticize and disrespect his team mates the way Ronaldo did. Humble and showed respect even when they got knocked out.

Even if Argentina get knocked out, I would be very surprised if Messi came out 'to save face' and blamed this that and the other, the way Ronaldo did.

With that out of the way ... I can see Brazil, Germany and Italy in the latter stages of the competition.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jun 23 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #859

Allievi Nazionali

Harsh tbh. He was just being honest. Portugal ARE average. At no point did he exclude himself from it - he said 'maybe we're an average team'. He didn't say 'I'm better than the rest of them'.

Compare that with Gerrard coming out slating Uruguay for being 'disruptive' then attacking Redknapp to name and shame the players he claims don't want to play for England.

As for Messi, he's not exactly little Mr Angel Gracious Perfect himself with the media:

"It's incredible, Rangers didn't want to play football. They practised anti-football from the first minute and it's a shame we couldn't take victory because we created a good number of chances.

"I told the official that he didn't favor us much," said the Barcelona striker who could not make the difference for his team.

This post has been edited by Danny: Jun 23 2014, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Jun 23 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #860

Berretti
Group Icon

Member No.: 90

How was Ronaldo having a go at his team mates? He just said maybe Portugal are an average team. I know I support him but I'd be supporting Messi if someone claimed that as being arrogant and calling out his team mates. I just think people look for anything with Cristiano to criticise. If he said we're a great team people would be calling him egotistical too.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jun 23 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #861

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

I've been away for some time on a trip, so couldn't catch up with the talk here.

But,..how do you guys look at the WC so far? To be honest, I find it quite puzzling. No team really convincing or impressing, not even looking especially strong.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jun 23 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #862

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jun 23 2014, 12:48 PM) *
Too bad Ronaldo isn't in the form he was in when they played Sweden.

The players Portugal have all range from average to mediocre, Ronaldo can't do it on his own, especially when it's very obvious that he's not all quite there.

Hmh, I remember you praising Veloso and Moutinho not long ago.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jun 23 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #863

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 23 2014, 09:42 PM) *
I've been away for some time on a trip, so couldn't catch up with the talk here.

Hope you had a pleasant time, my friend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 23 2014, 09:42 PM) *
But,..how do you guys look at the WC so far? To be honest, I find it quite puzzling. No team really convincing or impressing, not even looking especially strong.

Eh, I'd put the Netherlands in good company, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Only them Not overly convincing, but they have shown strong character. Even if it is only because of a few individuals. Not sure how far this will take them, but I agree, this World Cup is very open. And part of that is because of the diminished statures of some big teams.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jun 23 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #864

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 23 2014, 03:42 PM) *

No European team has ever won in South America, it's as if that hoodoo is playing a part here with Spain, England and almost certainly Portugal and possibly Italy crashing out this quick.

That said, Argentina have been poor, very poor.

As for overall - love it. Been a very entertaining world cup with the odd dud match now and again.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 23 2014, 09:12 PM
Post #865

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (Danny @ Jun 23 2014, 01:07 PM) *
No excuse. Suarez was in surgery 4 weeks ago.

That's the point though. Suarez has had surgery to fix his problem. Ronaldo needs surgery, but has been playing far too many important games to have the time to get it done.

Playing with injury pre-surgery is far, far more difficult than playing afterwards. I've had surgery on my ankle and knee, I don't even know how these people play on it before they get surgery to be honest. Afterwards isn't difficult at all, it's just match fitness.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 23 2014, 09:17 PM
Post #866

Prima Squadra

Neymar, 1-0.

1-1.

Neymar, 2-1. Good for my fantasy team. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Why are some players so good Internationally and then not for their club? Football is weird.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Jun 23 2014, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jun 23 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #867

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 23 2014, 08:17 PM) *
Neymar, 1-0.

1-1.

Neymar, 2-1. Good for my fantasy team. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Why are some players so good Internationally and then not for their club? Football is weird.

In Neymar's case because Messi owns Barca, and Neymar is just a cog. For his country Neymar is the main man and holy f*ck did he play well in that first half.

That was the individual display of the world cup so far.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jun 23 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #868

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jun 23 2014, 05:00 PM) *
Hmh, I remember you praising Veloso and Moutinho not long ago.

Yeah, I really liked Veloso a few years back, but he has really regressed rather than progressed in the last few years or so. Moutinho I still personally rate, but he's not someone that will carry a team and will more than likely be pulled into the mediocrity if he doesn't have a great team around him

Cameroon falling apart now, they've been terrible throughout this tournament bar that first half

Neymar has really reformed me into a believer after watching him in these 3 games

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 23 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #869

Prima Squadra

and that's where Neymar lets himself down. Trying stupid skill that really doesn't achieve anything. Ronaldo and Ronaldinho's skills were for the most part a part of the actual game rather than just being silly.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jun 23 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #870

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Should have been penalty for Mexico.

+Quote Post

108 Pages V  « < 56 57 58 59 60 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:37 AM